As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hearthstone: I hear you got a problem...

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2013 in Social Entropy++
fUj130Y.png

LAUNCH STATUS: Still in closed beta, with over a million keys sent out. Open beta expected late December/January.
THIS IS FOR: PC/Mac, and eventually Android and iDevices! I hear even the Windows tablet thing can play it!

Blizzard's newest game and internet sensation is Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. It is rip-roaring, card flopping experience that is already the national pastime of no less than seven nations. While simplistic in nature, it's a smooth style of gameplay that will have you jonesin' for a fresh booster pack at an alarming. Rumor has it that Blizzard puts...something in the booster. Something unhealthy. Something unnatural.

But you'll need them.

You will need boosters.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I NEED A BOOSTER

RIGHT NOW.

NEED.

0SjqmGc.gif

What? Oh hey, how are you doing? Did I mention that Hearthstone is FUCKING FREE TO PLAY? That is fucking fantastic. You see, the game has gold you earn by winning games, doing daily quests, or performing well in the ARENA (what is the ARENA? patience, my pet). There is no traded, but you can turn cards you own into dust to create cards you want. Don't like the purty "gold versions" of cards. TURN THAT SHIT INTO EVEN MORE DUST. Nearly HALF of the time ranked players in Hearthstone have spent NARY A DIME. Hearthstone, if you're good enough, is the best value ever.

wYzLI42.jpg

"Rorus did say fucking daily quests?"

Yes, I fucking did.

BFuRXUk.gif

The game also THREE play modes: Constructed, where you build a 30-card deck and fight people in ranked or unranked matches; Practice, where you fight really bad AI opponents to learn the INS AND OUTS of the game; and Arena, where the game lets you pick one of three characters and then build a deck from a random pool presented to you three at a time. WARNING: ARENA IS HABIT FORMING.

Hearthstone revolved around two heroes summoning minions in a goal to bring the enemy hero to zero life. Think of it as a simpler version of Magic that favors quicker matches, and you're on the right track.

Hey, let's introduce the heroes.

STARRING
hqFmg0H.jpg
Hero Power: Gain 1 Armor and +1 Attack.
Style: Can accelerate with mana-boosting cards like Innervate. Many cards have two options, allowing for flexibility. Enjoys a good buff.
Weaknesses: Flexible cards tend to be overpriced. Weaker early game without acceleration. Lacks direct removal.

Rphexwt.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 2 damage to opposing hero.
Style: Utilizes minions to rush down opponent. Great synergy with beast minions. Cheap removal.
Weaknesses: Removal tends to be random targets or secrets that can be played around. Beasts are typically mediocre without hunter synergies. Hero power only relevant in late game.

cYEGts4.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 1 damage to any character.
Style: Lots of direct damage spells, and spells in general. Very control-oriented, using freeze and removal to keep enemies at bay. Polymorph is one of the best removal spells. Strong AoE damage. Strong finisher via Pyroblast.
Weaknesses: Only has a handful of solid minions. Incredibly vulnerable without any spells. Can be hamstrung if opponent heals enough.

6gzI2hs.jpg
Hero Power: Summon a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit minion.
Style: Enjoys buffing minions and debuffing enemies. Great for weenie decks, but enjoys a slower, somewhat control-oriented game. Solid weapons, and lots of card draw.
Weaknesses: Has poor direct removal. Card draw is good, but either situational (Divine Favor) or expensive (Lay on Hands).

rUGXRhZ.jpg
Hero Power: Restores 2 HP to a character.
Style: Control-oriented. Loves to buff minions, particularly HP. Steals opponents' crap, potentially resulting in massive card advantage. Lots of direct removal.
Weaknesses: Weak in the early game. Direct removal is conditional or expensive. People will think you're a jerk.

ti4QiKo.jpg
Hero Power: Summon a 1/2 weapon.
Unique Mechanic: Combo. Cards have an additional effect if you've already played a card earlier in the turn.
Style: Tends to go for rush-down. Lots of direct damage and weapons. Combo allows for cheap, powerful effects.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable late-game. Combo can lead to unfavorable opening hands. AoE spells tend to be poor.

CeahrWo.jpg
Hero Power: Summons one of the following totems at random: Stoneclaw (0/2 Taunt), Healing (0/2, restores 1 HP to all friendly minions at end of turn), Searing Totem (1/1), Wrath of Air (0/2, +1 Spell Damage)
Unique Mechanic: Overload. You will be unable to spend X mana on your next turn. Think Echo from Magic and you're on the right track.
Style: Has a lot of play styles, being able to sling spells, use weapons, and solid minions. Overload allows for very efficient turns. Hex is among the best direct removal.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable on turns AFTER overload. Hero power is random, which will burn you.

ac4sbkL.jpg
Hero Power: Gain 2 Armor.
Style: Incredibly aggressive, favoring a lot of cheap enrage minions, charge, and great weapons.
Weaknesses: Worst Hero Power in the game. Removal tends to be random or conditional (Execute, Brawl). Damage spells, particularly AoE, are poor. Takes a ton of damage from weapon use.

ptwglff.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 2 damage to your hero. Draw a card.
Style: Can go for an aggressive early game with very cheap demons. Hero Power is among the best in the game. Good synergy with demons. Jaxxarus is the best card.
Weaknesses: Powerful cards tend to have bad drawbacks. Removal tends to be weak (Mortal Coil) or carry big drawbacks (Soulfire). Hero Power can hurt your late game.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Y Y YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME

here is an article about current high-level constructed metagame

here is a helpful guide on how to evaluate creature usefulness for cost

here is a list of really good cards to craft first (though i start disagreeing with the list the deeper it goes)

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Affairs of the Hearth.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So

I thought I saw a while back some priest changes coming down the pike, but can't find the news post where I saw this

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nothing but 4 cost creatures.

It's not whether you win or lose, but how many priests you piss off along the way.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So

I thought I saw a while back some priest changes coming down the pike, but can't find the news post where I saw this

Mind Control will be 10 mana. That's about it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Mind Control is going to 10 mana. e: mothafucka

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    So

Mind Control will be 10 mana. That's about it.

Dammit

Chincy's wishlist is mostly that draw cleric reduced to 2 HP

But I'll take that I guess

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    there is something incredibly dissatisfying and offputting for me about playing a card game without being able to hold the cards

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    there is something incredibly dissatisfying and offputting for me about playing a card game without being able to hold the cards

The weight and heft of the cards is really tangible, it's one of those things where Blizzards obsession with detail seems to really pay off

That said I actually don't like how most of the card goes away when you lay a minion down

I'd far prefer to see the whole thing down there

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Mage seems fucking BROKE in arena, if only for how much burn they get, and how well polymorph works with their hero power.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Mage is really, really good. Like, everywhere.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Mage is my favorite class

Very strong, doesn't make me feel as dirty as playing priest

I really, really love paladin but just can't figure out how to put a good deck together, I feel like I don't have any good response to big minion threats

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Just got a Euro key for this. Should be fun

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    playing paladin is fun as hell

but fuck priests

and double fuck rogues which seems to be all i fucking play at diamond rank

rogues with a dozen legendaries in their dicks, tha pissers

also it seems like everyone has that stupid legendary that summons an AWESOME robot...

• Options
    that's because you get that legendary for spending any money at all on the game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    playing paladin is fun as hell

but fuck priests

and double fuck rogues which seems to be all i fucking play at diamond rank

rogues with a dozen legendaries in their dicks, tha pissers

also it seems like everyone has that stupid legendary that summons an AWESOME robot...

You get that legendary if you spend any money

Also do you mind if you share your paladin deck list?

• Options
    well that's annoying

and yeah just a sec let me write it up

also seriously rogues are the most obnoxious shits at high levels

• Options
    I mean

That legendary isn't very good at least

If I had to deal with Ragnaros in every single deck I'd lose it

• Options
    really when i look at all the cards available, i realize just how shitty my current deck is...

• Options
    I mean

i've seen about a dozen of those lately

it's rather obnoxious

also i think a good pally deck would be a buff/murloc deck

i feel like that'd get outta hand rather quickly with a low mana cost

• Options
    I mean

i've seen about a dozen of those lately

it's rather obnoxious

also i think a good pally deck would be a buff/murloc deck

i feel like that'd get outta hand rather quickly with a low mana cost

I played a dude who had two of the 0/4 taunts and two copies of mirror image

Hucked em all down after ragnaros

I didn't have any direct removal

Yaaay

• Options
    alternatively a good pally build would be divine shield cards with 2 blood knights

blood knights would get fucking insane if you could stack that stuff well

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I fucking love this game.

Just started beta this week.

I play Paladin and Warlock primarily

Priest needs to be nerfed into the ground. There are too many creatures for them to abuse their power on. They can churn out 10/10's for... not a lot of mana. (Inner Fire + I think it's called Living Flame, which is immune to reduce-attack spells)

And Warriors got the short end of the stick. Their hero power is garbage.

Healing in general seems to be poorly balanced.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    alternatively a good pally build would be divine shield cards with 2 blood knights

blood knights would get fucking insane if you could stack that stuff well

This is what I am seeing in a lot of Paladin Deck Lists on Hearthpwn and stuff

But I don't have any blood knights :(

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    fuck hogger

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    fuck hogger

Hogger only gets you anything if you play him against someone who doesn't have six power on the field or any significant removal in their hand

That said, if you let him get out of hand, yeah.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I think the AWESOME invention has hurt me more than it's helped

I don't use that card anymore

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I fucking love this game.

Just started beta this week.

I play Paladin and Warlock primarily

Priest needs to be nerfed into the ground. There are too many creatures for them to abuse their power on. They can churn out 10/10's for... not a lot of mana. (Inner Fire + I think it's called Living Flame, which is immune to reduce-attack spells)

And Warriors got the short end of the stick. Their hero power is garbage.

Healing in general seems to be poorly balanced.

This is actually my biggest problem with priests, not any specific card

Gurubashi Berserker, the 1/3 where you draw a card when he takes damage, the 1/3 where you draw a card when a minion is healed, living flame

There's too many cards that go from very good to insane when a cardless heal is applied

• Options
    i honestly don't think the priest divine spirit/inner fire combo is very good

before priests got the buffed cleric and shadow word death they still had divine spirit and inner fire and lightwell and lightspawn and everything, but they were still the worst class in the game

i certainly think that there are things about priest which are good, but their health/attack combo just doesn't feel that strong compared to other combos other classes can come out. that said i can definitely see how it would initially appear overwhelming to someone who just started playing and isn't as familiar with the various cards and options and has a more restrained deck.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hang on, what's Living Flame? I'm trying to look it up but I can't find it

• Options
    The Betman wrote: »

He is thinking of the minion who's attack is equal to it's health.

I don't recall the name.

• Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    I haven't been able to play this as much as I'd like recently as I'm having computer issues. I really like the game though, and hope it comes to the Kindle Fire HD as that's my current tablet and would love to be able to play it on that.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options

I don't recall the name.

Yeah that

And the Gurubashi thing is just absurd. If a priest can get both berserkers out early in a game, then I see very few ways they can lose.

• Options

I don't recall the name.

Yeah that

And the Gurubashi thing is just absurd. If a priest can get both berserkers out early in a game, then I see very few ways they can lose.

To be fair there are a lot of ways to kill a minion regardless of health

That said, I love my Pally and they just really don't have a great way to kill a 28 health minion, at least not that I know of

• Options
    Feriluce wrote: »
    I haven't been able to play this as much as I'd like recently as I'm having computer issues. I really like the game though, and hope it comes to the Kindle Fire HD as that's my current tablet and would love to be able to play it on that.

Are Fire's Android based?

• Options

I don't recall the name.

Yeah that

That said, I love my Pally and they just really don't have a great way to kill a 28 health minion, at least not that I know of

not that I can tell

They have a great counter which is to reduce enemy attack to 1, but as I said that one priest creature is immune, which is, frankly, horseshit

You *can* remove the Gurubashis, but in my opinion against a well-carded priest the only way to do it reliably is to use one-shot spells... because any creature you throw down will just get blown away immediately by their spells, and only 5+ mana creatures with Charge have enough beef to one-shot a Berserker. Much less one that has been health buffed.

tl;dr, Priests have ridiculous tools to press advantages that are too easily gained. The berserker should probably cost 1 more mana than it does.

• Options

I don't recall the name.

Yeah that

not that I can tell

They have a great counter which is to reduce enemy attack to 1, but as I said that one priest creature is immune, which is, frankly, horseshit

You *can* remove the Gurubashis, but in my opinion against a well-carded priest the only way to do it reliably is to use one-shot spells... because any creature you throw down will just get blown away immediately by their spells, and only 5+ mana creatures with Charge have enough beef to one-shot a Berserker. Much less one that has been health buffed.

tl;dr, Priests have ridiculous tools to press advantages that are too easily gained. The berserker should probably cost 1 more mana than it does.

I've been told that silencing a Lightspawn turns off its 'Attack = health' ability

• Options

I don't recall the name.

Yeah that

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/383-equality

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/474-deathwing

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/33-sylvanas-windrunner

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/245-tinkmaster-overspark

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/73-big-game-hunter

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/467-doomsayer

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/625-emperor-cobra

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/368-mind-control-tech

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/500-ironbeak-owl

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/42-spellbreaker

listed in order of having found the links, not in order of like, usefulness or viability or anything

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I don't recall the name.

Yeah that

not that I can tell

I've been told that silencing a Lightspawn turns off its 'Attack = health' ability

silence removes all card text

lightspawn becomes a 0/health

berserker becomes a 2/health

no matter how much they've buffed them up

e: when you're just starting out and have to make a general jack-of-all-trades deck instead of getting to really focus because you don't have many cards, you should absolutely put some silence in

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.