As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox One] Come On, Jump in! Over One Million Served! Gamertag List in OP

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I love the fights I get into Xbox sometimes trying to start BF4

*click BF4 and it starts load*
    Xbox: Nope fuck you
    Me: Uh
    *tries again*
    Xbox: I said FUCK YOu
    *back at dashboard*
    Me: JUST PLAY THE GAME I OWN YOU!
    Xbox: ...ok

• Options
    BlindfoldedBlindfolded Motion City, PaRegistered User regular

*tries again*
    *back at dashboard*

I wish it worked like that for me. I honestly just want to play games and it makes it so hard sometimes.

Blindfolded22.jpg

idcard.php?type=1&style=2&name=Blindfolded
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    I still find the Xbox One very glitchy. it took me and my buddy 30 minutes to START a game of Madden tonight. We both had to reset 3 times and then the game stopped at halftime and crashed. I hope Microsoft is working on fixing this kind of stuff because it's really becoming frustrating.

are you sure that's to do with the console and not just the game? i mean, the console does have it problems but that doesn't preclude games from being buggy too.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    I still find the Xbox One very glitchy. it took me and my buddy 30 minutes to START a game of Madden tonight. We both had to reset 3 times and then the game stopped at halftime and crashed. I hope Microsoft is working on fixing this kind of stuff because it's really becoming frustrating.

are you sure that's to do with the console and not just the game? i mean, the console does have it problems but that doesn't preclude games from being buggy too.
    Every issue I have had with Madden thus far has had to do with Origin or EA's servers.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Now this is a bizarre Amazon offering that I never thought I'd see. I didn't think your personal daily quick-picks could apply to consoles.

oxPdAA6.jpg

Wazzat? What did you do?

If you go to the Amazon "Today's Deals" page, you can find a section called "<Name>'s Quick Picks" (where <Name> = your name, derp) that are a selection of 1-6 randomly chosen deals specific to your account, from categories usually based on your purchase history. For newer stuff it's usually 5% off, though I have seen it go as low as 30% at times.

I get a lot of games(including pre-orders - one of my deals for today is 5% off Metal Gear Solid 5 pre-order for PS4) offered to me this way at 5% off, but I didn't think it could apply to systems as well. Apparently it can.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular

*tries again*
    *back at dashboard*

I wish it worked like that for me. I honestly just want to play games and it makes it so hard sometimes.
    Had the same problem (sorta) with Forza this afternoon. My router is on the fritz but my dad was in town for my birthday and wanted to check out the game. Problem was that I couldn't get a stable connection with Live, but signing in appeared to be no problem. I popped out the disc for LEGO Marvel and put in the Forza disc, but then the system tried to "install" again, but stopped after just a second. I clicked the icon to start the game and it informed me that the installation was incomplete because I wasn't signed in. Weird. So I signed in again knowing that Live wasn't going to connect. Clicked the game icon again and it popped an error saying that the install wasn't complete and that I needed to sign in again. So I signed in yet again and still received the error. I go to sign in and see that it keeps signing me out every time I attempt to launch the game.

Rinse, repeat.

Eventually I figured out that I had to sign in, the highlight the Forza tile on the dash, then press the menu button and force the install to restart. The install flashed briefly 100% then let me launch the game.

A real fucking chore that was. My dad was like "well at least you can talk to it". <shrugs>

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Kinda sickening how much everything feels like a beta.

I guess it'll get better.

Surprisingly, Dead Rising 3 feels like the most polished game!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    tigerlily42tigerlily42 SeattleRegistered User regular

Unfortunately I'm a little burned out on DR3 atm. I played the snot out of some Peggle earlier and then...

I booted up the 360 to play some Tomb Raider, starting from the beginning since I'm missing the Chatterbox achievement.

And... I played right past the first dialogue for that cheevie. Starting over again.

GnomishNinja.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2014

Funny, isn't it.

I dunno, Ryse is very well polished, its just sparse. And Forza is straight up beautiful.

Assassin's Creed is the game I have had the most fun with, but bugs like whoa.

The 1st party titles all feel pretty solid, to be honest. Its the multiplatforms where everything is so janky.

edit: as for LCDXX's issues - I mean, I get it.. the system does not work well outside of optimal conditions at the moment. I hope they fix that in later software updates... but I also simply do not see myself ever trying to use this console where I do not have rock solid internet access.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular

Thats the price we pay as early adapters... you know... in addition to the price of the console lol

Look at the bright side... You could be one of the poor people trying find a XB1 or PS4 right now because they "chose to wait" or "weren't sure" lol

• Options
    Its just... trying to party, friend someone, see what people are doing. All that stuff worked so well on 360. It's dogshit on the One, like my fuckin iPhone or summit!

I love playing Forza but god damn Drivatars have all gone full retard now. The racing feels so good though. Playing KI online and everyone is endlessly boring shitty overpowered Jago despite free Sabrewulf, unsurprisingly.

Battlefield is the worst game I've ever purchased.

The Halo thing is just... really boring and lame.

Need something new. Or a hefty discount on existing titles.

Dead Rising 3 is great, most forward-looking title, how weird!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Its just... trying to party, friend someone, see what people are doing. All that stuff worked so well on 360. It's dogshit on the One, like my fuckin iPhone or summit!

I love playing Forza but god damn Drivatars have all gone full retard now. The racing feels so good though. Playing KI online and everyone is endlessly boring shitty overpowered Jago despite free Sabrewulf, unsurprisingly.

Battlefield is the worst game I've ever purchased.

The Halo thing is just... really boring and lame.

Need something new. Or a hefty discount on existing titles.

Dead Rising 3 is great, most forward-looking title, how weird!

Tomb Raider in January, Plants Vs. Zombies FPS thing in February, and then supposedly a fucking mountain of great software in March.

So long as I remain disciplined and try to actually beat the games I have... which at the moment are:

Madden, Forza, Diet Halo, Assassin's Creed, Dead Rising, Killer Instinct, and Ryse.

Seven games, 8,170 cheevos possible to get considering all the DLC stuff... and I think I only have ~3500 - plenty to keep me occupied.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    There are some cool new games coming out but i doubt most are worth the asking price, thats the problem.

I paid a fair chunk of money for KI. No story mode. I just killed 150 dudes, cant buy the skin that you unlock after killing 150 dudes though despite the Achievement unlocking because...? Who fucking knows, i do know the last patch was supposed to fix 'stuff that wasnt unlocking' but apparently it hasn't. For £30 the whole game feels like a beta, and its not the only one.

I'm not buying any more games until I know they are actually ready for release, because the One launch games were anything but!

Except DR3 <3

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    KI is hands down the game I have spent the least amount of time with.

The fighting itself is really solid, but I agree that it feels like "early access" - like I paid for Minecraft a good year before the final version rolled out, and without animal husbandry what's the point?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I don't want to sound massively negative, the One is great and all... but it's just crazy how much shit doesn't work. I know times have changed but i cant imagine firing up the Genesis or SNES and having so many fuckups! Especially on the software side.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    I don't want to sound massively negative, the One is great and all... but it's just crazy how much shit doesn't work. I know times have changed but i cant imagine firing up the Genesis or SNES and having so many fuckups! Especially on the software side.

yeah, those machines really got only one shot, and if it arrived half baked, there was no option other than returning it.

I look back to what my launch xbox 360 could do, and what the console could do shortly after NXE a scant couple of years later... and it's night and day.

The xbox one and PS4 are both lightyears ahead of the capabilities the prior systems launched at, and they both play much prettier, bigger games than either system did ever. I expect that in 4-6 months we will be much happier with the state of things.

I mean, to be honest, I'M happy with the state of things right now, I just wish a few games weren't so buggy and a few obvious features related to online worked better.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

Patience.
    After they reversed some policies we all know their engineers went into hyperdrive trying to implements changes in the architecture before the console launched.
    Nothing that some time and TLC can't fix

• Options
    I have a problem with Forza.

I love it, but I get crazy, CRAZY into a race.

It's the only game I play where I find myself getting off the couch and standing in front of the TV, palms sweating, hoping to hold my meager 3rd place so I can keep the gold. It's actually kind of stressful. Fun, but stressful.

I also yell at the Drivatars. A lot.

am I the only one?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BlindfoldedBlindfolded Motion City, PaRegistered User regular

I am basing it off the console because I have had similar issues with DR3 and Ghosts. It has happened with all 3 games I have so I am just assuming the system, though you could be right. I hope your'e right. It's just very frustrating. Also, it stopped working with my direct tv so I unhooked that last week too. I think what bothers me most is that I don't have a ton of time for games anymore in my life but when I do I don't want to be messing around with things like this because that takes even more time away from games.

Blindfolded22.jpg

idcard.php?type=1&style=2&name=Blindfolded
  • Options

I am basing it off the console because I have had similar issues with DR3 and Ghosts. It has happened with all 3 games I have so I am just assuming the system, though you could be right. I hope your'e right. It's just very frustrating. Also, it stopped working with my direct tv so I unhooked that last week too. I think what bothers me most is that I don't have a ton of time for games anymore in my life but when I do I don't want to be messing around with things like this because that takes even more time away from games.

You may not play a lot of online, so this may not have crossed your mind...

but make sure your xbox one has Open NAT. My games (specifically AssCreed) used to crash all the time until I did the IPv6 / Port Forwarding stuff on my router.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

fair enough, the system does seem ot have a habit of doing a hard reset on games, jumping to the home screen and forcing you to boot the game from scratch.

though i do wonder if this is just how it handles game crashes. instead of having to shut down the console the system just shuts down the game when a major bug/error is encountered. given how bad MS have been at explaining things in recent years i wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

• Options

fair enough, the system does seem ot have a habit of doing a hard reset on games, jumping to the home screen and forcing you to boot the game from scratch.

though i do wonder if this is just how it handles game crashes. instead of having to shut down the console the system just shuts down the game when a major bug/error is encountered. given how bad MS have been at explaining things in recent years i wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

This is exactly what is happening.

There is the hypervisor, on which the dash runs.

Then you have the Game OS, which is a single-instance VM with low level hardware access.

Then you have the WinKernel OS, which is what the metro-style apps run on. Not Low Level, and can be instanced multiple times based on amount of available memory.

The GameOS can crash and burn due to bugs in the game (or even the GameOS, who knows at this point), and the hypervisor / metro side of things remains healthy.

It's kind of like how Chrome sandboxes each tab.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

It's the only game I play where I find myself getting off the couch and standing in front of the TV, palms sweating, hoping to hold my meager 3rd place so I can keep the gold. It's actually kind of stressful. Fun, but stressful.

am I the only one?

I've sworn at more of your drivatars than I care to admit. I also get intensely stressed when I'm heading into a corner too fast and I know it, but I need to pass freaking Eclibull to get into 3rd, and I can feel the triggers vibrating--I KNOW I'M GOING TO FAST, CONTROLLER!--and then I can feel my back-end coming out from under me and I try to steer/let off the gas to compensate, and...

Yeah. I know how you feel. I love it.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular

*tries again*
    *back at dashboard*

I don't have these problems honestly. Works fine. I've heard things but haven't really experienced them. I mean, yeah, the game crashes sometimes, but very rarely and it isn't such a big deal. I've had all games crash though honestly at one point or another. But as far as Battlefield goes, beyond a couple hiccups it's been a fine experience.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

am I the only one?

This is what happens to me when I play ranked KI matches, so I understand.

Bubby on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

am I the only one?

This is precisely why I don't play racing games.

Hell, when an open-world game offers me Racing sub-missions or whatever (which is to say fucking every single one of them goddamnit), I feel my teeth start to grit and my eye twitch. I just -do not- like racing because the simplest fuck-up will ruin the past however long you've spent on that race and make you do it -all over again-.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    That's why Forza's wonderful rewind feature makes the racing so compelling, you don't waste loads of time. The driving really just feels so good in Forza though, the controller rocks.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hello, Xbox One Thread!

As this thread nears 100 pages, I must take the rough task of carrying out my threat in the OP: it is now January, and the Xbox One Thread will soon be a memory.

However, it would be cruel to pop in and say that you have just five pages to go, so there will be one final thread to chat about the new system. After that thread reaches its end, the plug shall be pulled on Xbox One threads for good. However, given how long this thread has managed to last even during launch day hysteria, the thread will likely be sticking around for a few months unless something crazy happens to drive up posting, so don't be too sad.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    that reminds me, if no one else wants it I will make a Titanfall thread. that seems like a game that would chew up a lots of posts in the next xbone thread.

• Options
    that reminds me, if no one else wants it I will make a Titanfall thread. that seems like a game that would chew up a lots of posts in the next xbone thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/179762/titanfall-it-s-kinda-like-modern-warfare-giant-robot-edition/p1

• Options
    I even posted in that thread and forgot it existed!

• Options
    so I am closing in on finishing DR3 finally. I like the game a lot even with a few frustrating boss fights and weird map. I disliked how they inserted roadblocks that forced you out of vehicles. it all felt like they were funneling you through certain choke points over and over.
    end spoilers
    I got the plane all ready to go, the credits roll, then I get the mission to hunt down and shoot the king zombies before the army can capture them. I have died twice trying to finish this since it seems to force you to do a massive loop around the whole map more than once to fight them. it was no fun and I still have to beat it.
    aside from all that I loved the combo vehicles and weapons. full upgraded and with a rollerhog you become god-like and unstoppable.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm not meaning to be a dick but I literally never died once in dead rising 3, like not even close, and I'm normally terrible at these games, especially previous dead risings. I just had so much health and combo weapons were so easy to make and so powerful I never even got close.

I hear a lot of people find it tough though so maybe I fluked it? Like the only boss fight that got even remotely stressful for me was the second last one with the fire rooms and machine arms.

Maybe I over-levelled? Or have they patched it to make it harder?

I always had a tonne of health and combining any two guns gives u a death machine, also with bosses I just rolled around to avoid their hits, but it takes like 3 hits to remove a cube, and at high levels u have so many it was easy to run off and grab food if a few cubes were removed

Are you playing it on survival or hardcore or whatever?

The last mission definitely shouldn't take you two loops around the map, I think I did half or three quarters of a loop before it said I'd taken out enough drones and kings. Just gunned them down as they were floating away

Thinking about it must have been that I levelled quickly early

Prohass on
  • Options
    Okay, so... I leveled up to 50 in less than an hour from 28.

The trick is to do it early enough in the game that there are no explodey zombies, wait until nightfall, then find the densest horde you can.

Wander in unarmed, do the melee move (jump-Y) to do a ground stomp, and get your first Y+B attack unlocked as quickly as possible. Now, walk into a dense area, and trigger it while holding the analog stick right. This will do a move where you spin the zombie around, and every zombie you hit is killed at the higher XP bonus for being killed by a combo. You will likely kill enough zombies to do it again, immediately afterwards. Occasionally say "over here" to keep the zombies grouped up on you, keep the combo going, and every single one of your combo kills will give you more XP than a psychopath. Also, do not give a single fuck about healing - you will fully heal every time you level, and you will level once every minute or so when you hit a good rhythm.

Oh, and the points don't stop at 50 - just the levels themselves, so if you wanted to put another hour into this, you could unlock every single attribute and equipment combo perk.

I'm glad I discovered this, because I beat the game on normal, and I have plans to do a nightmare run after getting the rest of the blueprints... but I really did not feel like grinding for tons of hours to hit 50, and this spared me a lot of the heartache.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Prohass wrote: »
    I'm not meaning to be a dick but I literally never died once in dead rising 3, like not even close, and I'm normally terrible at these games, especially previous dead risings. I just had so much health and combo weapons were so easy to make and so powerful I never even got close.

I hear a lot of people find it tough though so maybe I fluked it? Like the only boss fight that got even remotely stressful for me was the second last one with the fire rooms and machine arms.

I always had a tonne of health and combining any two guns gives u a death machine, also with bosses I just rolled around to avoid their hits, but it takes like 3 hits to remove a cube, and at high levels u have so many it was easy to run off and grab food if a few cubes were removed

The last mission definitely shouldn't take you two loops around the map, I think I did half or three quarters of a loop before it said I'd taken out enough drones and kings. Just gunned them down as they were floating away

The last mission is absolute bullshit unless you go into it with a lot of points spent on ranged weapons and come equipped with guns.

As a melee guy on my first run, it drove me nuts.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Prohass wrote: »

The last mission is absolute bullshit unless you go into it with a lot of points spent on ranged weapons and come equipped with guns.

As a melee guy on my first run, it drove me nuts.

Ah I see that explains it. I honestly never even had to think about grinding, though your way is perfect and will definitely work, I just naturally killed enough zombies and did enough side stuff that I levelled up damn fast. And yeah ranged weapon perks I got so early that I forgot that it might be a problem if you focused on melee, as I got so used to the abilities I forgot they aren't actually with you when you start out.

Also with a level 50 character and all the abilities survival mode is a breeze, the hardest thing is just remembering to save, but you shouldn't die that often anyway.

Prohass on
  • Options
    right now I am level 32, which is around what level I was when I finished the other 2 games. I don't like to force grinding I just naturally play the game. I will do overtime or whatever NG+ there is to get all the collectibles. it doesn't help I have been splitting my time between multiple games and only recently came back to DR3.
    the bosses are the weakest part, and I don't mean the pyschos. the room with the arms mentioned was pretty terrible; but there were multiple times where either survivor AI bugged out and got in a climbing in a loop, or were I was tossed into an area full of fire and slowly burned to death despite being at full health. this final mission is mostly annoying because it's just a pain to be forced to navigate the length of the map since they force you to ditch your good vehicle so often.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I always just booked it to the nearest garage. It's a pain but nothing on the scale of the previous dead risings various hurdles and inscrutable/insufferable barriers to fun. I don't think I used any survivors, and ones in missions teleport to safety and have insane health.

I think the completionist in me helped me level quickly as I rescued everyone I found and did as many side missions as possible, also guns are a must as a panic fallback strategy. I think not being a dead rising veteran helped me, as I didn't rush to do main missions and took my time doing side stuff and mucking about, which is the opposite of what the first two games trained you to do, and meant I was quite high level by the time I faced psychos or main missions.

For me I've never finished the previous dead risings because I found them so difficult, frustrating and unclear. This was the first one I actually enjoyed enough to finish. I also 100 percented it because I enjoyed it so much, but that takes a huge amount of time and play throughs so I don't recommend it, also about 350,000 zombie kills.

Though I'm still not burnt out, looking forward to the dlc.

My advice would be put all your points into health first, then guns. Fire I only remember being a problem in that machine warehouse at the end, what other places used it?

Prohass on
  • Options
    I have my inventory and sprint maxed out, and now putting stuff into health and other skills. I wouldn't mind the roadblocks so much if they didn't make the game so vehicle oriented. I feel like the game punishes me right as I start having fun with them. it would benefit from a more 'open' map than this psuedo-linear shit.
    still a fun and satisfying game, and the combat finally feels fluid. love the ease of access to weapons via lockers, and the side missions were a lot better with fully voiced survivors this time around.
    I like the improvements they have made, I just want more sandbox style of zombie game I guess. can not wait for dying light and dayz standalone...

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah I agree, but I couldn't fault the game too much for what it wasn't, when it improved so much on its own formula.

I mean compared to the previous dead risings it genuinely is open, and with no loading times the road blocks felt to me more like reminders that I'm not playing carmageddon, and should actually wade through some zombies once in a while on foot.

garage locations are largely close to roadblocks (the only completely closed off place is the top right square) so it was often a case of sprinting for about 10 seconds from the roadblock to the nearest garage, and the worst roadblocks actually don't pop up until about midway through the campaign.

It's definitely not a great open world zombie game, but it's a much better dead rising game. Also while it's impressive how many zombies are on screen, what I actually found more impressive is how many objects are destructible and react to physics. Like when I first played I avoided crashed cars on the road because they looked like static objects, when I hit one and it smashed out of the way I audibly gasped and it struck me as very next gen. It always shocked me when I'd plow into a building and I'd actually go through it, glass shattering and debris flying.

Although now I want a next gen carmageddon game.

Prohass on
This discussion has been closed.