As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] indie-series: Hot Potato - Village Victory | MrT is HoPo Champion

ObiFettObiFett Use the ForceAs You WishRegistered User regular
edited June 2014 in Critical Failures
Header_zpsa277cff4.png

Scenario

Welcome, HoPo Professional!

Congratulations! You have been invited to 100th Annual Hot Potato World Championship. Select Professional players from all over the World have been chosen to attend this year's ultimate game. Should you perform well in this game, you may be invited to the Hot Potato Professional League which includes a high-end contract and access the best endorsements in the sport.

We have included two tickets to the event location and have arranged lodging accommodations. Any support staff will need to be provided for out of your own funds. Please check in with the HoPoGaCo one week before the Championship event. If you do not check in by that time, a replacement will be found.

As outlined in the Hot Potato Official Rules, any contact with previously banned players is a bannable offense. If you are found to have done this, you will be ejected from the Championship and banned from all future official HoPo events.

Good luck

Game Overview

Genre: Village v Mafia with a heavy dose of interactivity and choice for all. The game was created so that everyone would have something to do and could play a very important part in their side's eventual victory or defeat. At its heart it is still a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. If this is your first game, it will be informative to visit the linked topic for some background information.

In this game, the Village are Hot Potato Professionals from all over the globe attempting to win the Hot Potato World Championship. The Mafia are students of a formerly disgraced and banned Legend of the Game have infiltrated the Championship in an attempt to return the Title to their Master.[/b]

Special Mechanics and Game Design

This is the first game in my "indie-series". The goal of the indie-series set of games is to simplify my design process and limit a game to a single mechanic or concept. The chosen mechanic/concept will be explored fully and every power in the game will revolve around that concept. In this game, that mechanic/concept is busdrivers. These are still Obi-Phalla, however, and I create games with the following mindset:

1) I don't like straight seering.
2) I prefer Basic Villagers to have powers along with the power of voting/analysis.
3) I like mechanics that punish inactive mafia. On the flip-side, I like mechanics that reward mafia who are active in muddying the waters and staying hidden in plain sight.

Sample Vanillager PM:
You are a HoPo Professional. You've worked your way up from the gritty street games of Hot Potato, to the underpaid and under-appreciated Spud League, and finally to the Hot Potato Championship. Your skills have been honed to unnatural levels: if someone throws a potato at you, you can throw it away immediately. Seriously. It is amazing. People speak in hushed tones about it. But rumors are that the tactics of the shamed Blackleg have returned through the presence of a number of his students in this Championship. You can not allow one of those students to win. If they do, all you know about Hot Potato will be lost when their tactics take over and you will have no chance at winning any Championship in the future. This is your future and your chance at infamy. The Hot Potato Championships are about to begin! Your time to be a HoPo Legend is at hand!

Focus: Choose a target each day. The first time each Active Potato is thrown at you, you throw it at your chosen target.

Primary Wincon: Ensure that no banned students win the HoPo Championship.
Secondary Wincon: Win the HoPo Championship.

Voting

Due to rumors of previously banned participants in the championship, there will be regular votes to turn in players who are suspected of using Blackleg's tactics. Vote for the player who you find most suspicious in bold red. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be turned over to the HoPoGaCo (Hot Potato Gaming Committee) and removed from the game. Should there be a tie in the vote, then all players involved in the tie will be eliminated, as well as the player that instigated the tie, whether that be due to a vote being placed or a vote being removed.

Voting will close each day at 10PM MST (12AM EST | 5AM UTC) SHARP; any votes before the hour (x:59) will count, any votes on the hour and later (x:00) will not.

Orders

Every player should have orders to submit and they must be submitted before vote close. All villager orders must be submitted by responding to your role PM. Mafia orders can be submitted on their proboards.

Signing Up

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged.

Signups will be open until I feel like closing them.

Inactivity

It is expected that players make at least two posts, make a vote, and submit private actions. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the player will be eliminated from the game.

Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

All proboards must be linked to the host and all conversations must have the host included. NO CONVERSATION OF THE GAME IS ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM OR LINKED PROBOARDS. No chat rooms. No facebook. NOTHING. No communication is allowed outside of PA forums and linked proboards.

Clarifications
Phyphor wrote: »
What happens if we redirect to the vote winner?
The vote winner is an invalid target for all powers. It will be as if you didn't use your power that round.

ObiFett on

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Initial Sign-ups
    1 - MegaFrost
    2 - GreenBarons
    3 - kime
    4 - premium
    5 - MrTlicious
    6 - jdarksun
    7 - SaberOverEasy
    8 - Phyphor
    9 - Mill
    10 - Buddha73
    11 - Gizzy
    12 - Hippie
    13 - Zombie Hero
    14 - Preda
    15 - Flarne
    16 - The Anonymous
    17 - Vertroue
    18 - Auralynx - Withdraw
    19 - SirFabulous
    20 - discrider
    21 - undergroundmonorail
    22 - Sepah
    23 - Heffling
    24 - Bedlam
    25 - TheRoadVirus
    26 - Jaenther
    27 - Schuss
    28 - Marikir
    29 - MikeyCTS
    30 -
    31 -
    32 -
    33 -
    34 -
    Enough spaces for whoever wants to play

Reserves:
    1 -

Results

Round 1:
    The Anonymous - HoPo Professional
    Jdarksun - HoPo Professional

Round 2:
    Flarne - HoPo Professional
    premium - HoPo Professional
    Marikir - HoPoGaCo Agent

Round 3:
    TheRoadVirus - HoPo Professional
    Gizzy - Heater
    Vertroue - Cooler
    Buddha73 - HoPoProfessional

Round 4:
    undergroundmonorail - HoPo Professional
    Schuss - HoPo Professional
    Preda - HoPo Professional

Round 5:
    SaberOverEasy - Student of BlackLung
    Jaenther - Student of BlackLung
    MikeyCTS - Node

Round 6:
    INANTP - Student of BlackLung
    Hippie - HoPo Professional
    Heffling - Cooler
    Sepah - Warper

Round 7:
    kime - Student of BlackLung
    discrider - Warper
    Phyphor - Student of BlackLung

Round 8:
    GreenBarons- Student of BlackLung
    Bedlam - Heater
    MegaFrost- HoPo Professional

Final Round:
    ZombieHero - Warper
    SirFabulous - Warper

Village Victory!!

MrTlicious wins the 100th annual HoPo Championship!

Narrations
    Pre-Game Show
    Round 1 Recap
    Round 2 Recap
    Round 3 Recap
    Round 4 Recap
    Round 5 Recap
    Round 6 Recap
    Round 7 Recap
    Round 8 Recap
    Final Round Recap

ObiFett on
  • Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I don't have time to play. Signing up anyways.

• Options
    GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    Signup

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Of course. Give me the potato!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Yes

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    !po-tay-toh

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I can count to potato!

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Just one thing:
    2) I prefer Vanillagers with powers/choices to be made outside of voting/analysis.
    Isn't the definition of vanillager someone who doesn't have powers outside of the vote(s)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    You can thank me for bringing that to Spoit's attention, @Obifett ;-)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Spoit wrote: »
    Just one thing:
    2) I prefer Vanillagers with powers/choices to be made outside of voting/analysis.
    Isn't the definition of vanillager someone who doesn't have powers outside of the vote(s)?

Right.

So I am redefining it for my game(s).

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    you should just use the term "villager"...

vanillager implies a vanilla game

Egos on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Not it!

• Options

• Options
    I changed the OP terminology, @Egos and @Spoit

I do find it ... disheartening ... to think that you two are for some reason are criticizing my OP behind the scenes. Like if this is the thing you felt was necessary to bring to my attention, I am a little sad to think of the topic of conversation this must have been brought up during.

• Options

Vote Winners' busdriver powers will still activate if they are voted out.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Well that was because I had said yesterday that I was considering signing up when you put it up, hopeful that the focus on a single theme would mean that the power creep would be reined in a bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Spoit wrote: »
    Well that was because I had said yesterday that I was considering signing up when you put it up, hopeful that the focus on a single theme would mean that the power creep would be reined in a bit.

In terms of Obi-Phalla, this game would barely register on the scale.

Role Distribution is very vanilla.

There are just A TON of busdrivers.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    The Phalla Bureau Committee BNP Division has cited @ObiFett with a violation of standard role definitions and is ordered to insert Reverse Death Millers into his game.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    There are just A TON of busdrivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5kr--mN7n8

substitute train and choo-choos with bus and honks

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Maybe

Really depends on when the game starts. I'm going to be indisposed on the 25th, 26th and most of the 27th.

• Options
    When everybody is special nobody is!

• Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    HOT!!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    When everybody is special nobody is!

you're tempting me to make a graph illustrative example, PHYPHOR!

Egos on
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I'm hot for potato action

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    Ahh phalla, how I've missed you.

Lets so this.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Yup

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    I'm in!

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular

Why is it called a busdriver anyway? Does everyone in Phalla take a bus to their intended target and just blindly trust the driver to get them to the right dude without ever questioning that maybe that does not at all look like the right guy?

'cause that's weird.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Frozen potatoes are the worst

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    I had a food fight with a wall as a kid. I flicked mashed potatoes at it.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    "When I was a little boy, around the table at home
    I remember very well when company would come
    I would have to be right still until the whole crowd ate
    my momma always said to me "Jim, take a tater and wait."

Now taters never did taste good with chicken on a plate
    but I had to eat 'em just the same.
    That is why I look so bad and have these puny ways
    because I always had to take an old cold tater and wait.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Take a break from hosting. Actually play in one

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Signing so long as I get a lifetime supply of gloves on top of the pay.

Soo.. what's a busdriver?

• Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    I'm in, hello

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    discrider wrote: »
    Soo.. what's a busdriver?

A busdriver is a power that redirects all powers from one target player to another target player.

There are generally two types:

One Way - Two players ( A and B ) are chosen and all powers targeted at A go to B.
    Two Way - Two players ( A and B ) are chosen and all powers targeted at A go to B and all powers targeted at B go to A.

If you are curious about other powers that can exists in other games, the OP of this thread has some good information.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited November 2013

So the vote winner's redirection powers will activate, but will redirection powers that target the vote winner activate?
    Also can bus drivers redirect away from themselves?

discrider on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    !Sign up

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

So the vote winner's redirection powers will activate, but will redirection powers that target the vote winner activate?
    Also can bus drivers redirect away from themselves?

If you look at the sample PM, most people will have a one-time one-way busdriver

I'm trying to figure out if the optimal strategy is to have everyone target the vote winner (kills only land on double taps, or killing the vote winner's target)

• Options
    It'd be a long game that way. Assuming all kills are potatoes, you'd only have a single vote and mafia or SK or vig kill per day. All the other potatoes would just pile up on either the vote leader or vote leader's target.

I'd expect the mafia's potatoes to cheat though, considering their presupposed poor potato form.