As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CINEMATIC FANTASTIC [Film and Media Discussion Party]

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    So it's kind of along the lines of
    The Descent

Thanks to the different cuts of the movie, that's only true for the international (better!) cut of the movie you spoilered.

The international cut is probably my favorite horror movie

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This time the angel is showing George Bailey's grandson how much better the world would be if he'd never been born

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    nope, shut it down

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    So I just watched Only God Forgives

It's on netflix now.

I

I don't think I got it.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I watched Headhunters last night, my interest coming mostly just from Nikolaj Coster-Waldau being in it

and it was excellent! It maintains its tension pretty incredibly well, and treats its protagonist really... effectively, I guess? It was refreshingly competent in its portrayal of his character throughout, I suppose I will (enigmatically) say, because I recommend it and don't wanna say too much

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    i watched noah baumbach's frances ha the other night and thought it was pretty good (it's on netflix instant)

it manages to stay on the right side of twee/annoying, mostly due to greta gerwig, who is great

that role in the hands of a lot of other actresses could have been unbearable

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWYrOPLAaTQ

(shout-out to @SimBen for introducing me to my new favorite nope video)

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    So I just watched Only God Forgives

It's on netflix now.

I

I don't think I got it.

Yeah I watched that yesterday. I guess Drive had too much talking for the director.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    6 minute trailer for Studio Ghibli's next film, The Tale of Princess Kaguya:

http://youtu.be/2KOKvYDLArg

It looks gorgeous.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I can't decide whether I like Volcano or Dante's Peak more.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Only God Forgives may be the worst movie I've seen in a good while.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    oh it's on netflix instant now? i like refn so i'll probably watch it, but i've been putting it off because of the near-universal bad reviews

lot of good new stuff on instant - just put flight in my queue and i watched skyfall the other day as well

on skyfall: for all the praise of deakins' cinematography in that movie - and it is exquisitely shot - it's got one of the most egregious orange/teal palettes i've seen in a while

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Volcano had a dude save another dude by carrying him and jumping into lava and throwing the other guy to safety while he melted away. How is this even a question?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    simo wrote: »
    oh it's on netflix instant now? i like refn so i'll probably watch it, but i've been putting it off because of the near-universal bad reviews

lot of good new stuff on instant - just put flight in my queue and i watched skyfall the other day as well

on skyfall: for all the praise of deakins' cinematography in that movie - and it is exquisitely shot - it's got one of the most egregious orange/teal palettes i've seen in a while

That's because, once again, orange and teal is not wrong

Did it look fantastic?

Yes, yes it did.

Then conversation over.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I watched the Fellowship of the Ring extended edition and rather liked it

But I'd be hard-pressed to tell what those extra 30 minutes entailed?

The Galadriel scene and Gandalf speaking the tongue of Mordor (which was awesome), and a bit more exposition from Galadriel and Bilbo in the intro

Still a great movie but I hope the extended editions for TTT and ROTK are more substantial

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Dante's Peak is the best shitty volcano movie because it was filmed in the next town over from my hometown and my brother was one of the main extras. You can see him clearly during the town meeting scene. Also, he was under 16 so I was his chaperone and I got to see a lot behind the scenes stuff.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

The Galadriel scene and Gandalf speaking the tongue of Mordor (which was awesome), and a bit more exposition from Galadriel and Bilbo in the intro

Still a great movie but I hope the extended editions for TTT and ROTK are more substantial

There was more stuff with the Shire

Especially stuff with Sam and Rosie

• Options
    I mean, almost all the extended stuff is just more lore and backstory and filler

There's not really room for like, shocking revelations of Middle-Earth

• Options
    Almost, I said
    Both of the other two movies DO have some stuff with more weight

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

Off the top of my head, there was also a bit more of the hold up at Lothlorien (including learning this early that Haldir is a dick). The funny thing about that scene that I remember from the commentary track is that it was one of the very first scenes shot, and if you look closely you can see they hadn't quite settled on what Gimli's makeup and hair would look like yet.

Let's see... it's been a couple of years... what else? The problem for me is that I don't really remember the theatrical version anymore, I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

which is the one with Pierce Brosnan?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Dante's Peak

• Options
    then the answer should be clear enough

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    But Tommy Lee Jones

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

Did it look fantastic?

Yes, yes it did.

Then conversation over.

well yeah you can end conversations pretty quickly when you do both sides of them

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Did it look fantastic?

Yes, yes it did.

Then conversation over.

well yeah you can end conversations pretty quickly when you do both sides of them

Do you actually have any reason for why there was a problem with the color palette in Skyfall besides that you happened to notice it used teal and orange?

Cuz otherwise yeah this is gonna be a really short conversation

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

Did it look fantastic?

Yes, yes it did.

Then conversation over.

Do you actually have any reason for why there was a problem with the color palette in Skyfall besides that you happened to notice it used teal and orange?

Cuz otherwise yeah this is gonna be a really short conversation

it's overuse gives every big hollywood movie these days a homogeneous look. in terms of skyfall, it certainly doesn't ruin it or anything, but for me it detracts slightly from what is otherwise a visually stunning film

even taken out of the context of it being wildly overused, i find it aesthetically displeasing, especially when it comes to skin tones. with, say, black and white, there's enough of a separation, a "suspension of disbelief" for lack of a better word, where it's almost a different medium entirely. but the orange/teal grading is close enough where there isn't quite that separation, and so in the cases where it is especially egregious and you get a bunch of characters with oompa loompa skin, i find it really offputting

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I didn't notice teal/orange in Skyfall, except for maybe the final sequence (but it was very appropriate there)

the cold, bright fluorescence of MI6 remains in my mind more

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    This time the angel is showing the silly goose who came up with this sequel ideahow much better the world would be if he'd never been born

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever conciously noticed the orange/teal thing whilst watching a film.
    In posters and stuff sure, but never whilst the movies actually playing.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The only sequel Its a Wonderful Life will ever need is the SNL skit where they figure out Potter stole the money and go after him.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    One part of The Grey that really got to me for some reason was
    Burke dying slowly from hypoxia

and then the blizzard scene when they realise he's finally gone.
    As a father of a little girl, Talget's was the most emotional for me. At least he got to see her again, even if just in his mind, while the wolves kill him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I found the palette in Skyfall less noticeable than other movies and there was 90% of the time a context for the lighting and colour, but it was still very much present in almost every scene whether you noticed it or not

skyfall-image.png

skyfall-007-daniel-craig-aston-martin.jpg

Daniel-Craig-in-Skyfall-010.jpg

If it doesn't bother people who aren't colourblind then more power to you. However if you're going to directly engage such criticism, label it as dumb, then try and go back to ignoring it you sound like the person shoving fingers into your ears and screaming LA LA LA NO I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG.

Cinema is a fucking visual medium. Of course people are going to talk about colour as much as camera work, editing, plot, dialogue, and character progression. Shutting down any discussion because "it looks good" is completely reductive. Yeah it fucking looks good. How about we examine why or why not. Is it that frightening to recognise a perceived fault or personal dislike of one thing in a product you still enjoy overall.

And if people are going to pull the "well that's just people's skin tones" then take a picture of you under tungsten house lights, a reading lamp, fluorescent lighting, broad daylight, and cloudy daylight. If your skin is still orange and you don't self-tan, see a doctor.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    we're still talking about the fucking color palettes hahahaasljaflksdfksdfkjsdf

• Options
    we're still talking about the fucking color palettes hahahaasljaflksdfksdfkjsdf

Blame Kana

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Skyfall was a fucking gorgeous movie, criticism can't apply to its cinematography in my eyes.
    jY0KBlI.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I doubt anyone here is saying Skyfall was a bad-looking movie

Because seriously goddamn even in those first two images I posted it had some stunning cinematography

I'd say the colour thing is more an issue with post-production than anything else

Gatsby on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gatsby, I ain't colorblind or nothing, but I am barely seeing the blorange thing in those pictures. I guess in the second one he looks flushed and has a blue shirt on?

I seriously don't get color theory at that level of complexity I think. I can deal with palettes in illustration, and have worked with color theory with regards to gelling theatre lights, but that stuff? I don't see it, even when I'm looking for it.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Gatsby, I ain't colorblind or nothing, but I am barely seeing the blorange thing in those pictures. I guess in the second one he looks flushed and has a blue shirt on?

I seriously don't get color theory at that level of complexity I think. I can deal with palettes in illustration, and have worked with color theory with regards to gelling theatre lights, but that stuff? I don't see it, even when I'm looking for it.

And that's fair enough, to each their own. All of that stuff is super obvious to me but I recognise I'm in the minority regarding that.

Specifically I'd mostly take issue with the second image. It's gorgeous and stunning in composition and framework, and Craig isn't a pale white ghost of a man, but even in the northern foggy sunlight of the UK his face is still bright orange when you'd find it'd be less saturated, and you'd see more redish tones in skin in such conditions. The blue shirt and way the light reflects off the DB5's glass and chassis only emphasise the difference between the two tones.

It's effectively made that way to be striking and to grab your attention, by forcing there to be only two major colours in these scenes with some smattering of neutral tone in gray and black and white. And it works, those images do get you looking at them and they function in way of making each object and person distinct from one another. I just feel it's a lazy post-production method to achieve that when you should let the cinematography and other nuances speak above that.

• Options
    i think i noticed it even more because i had just seen 12 years a slave a few days earlier, and that movie is all greens and earth tones

bugss2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.