As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CINEMATIC FANTASTIC [Film and Media Discussion Party]

18485878990100

Posts

  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the Final Destination films. But I think one set in World War II would be pretty good. Because at that point, with everyone dying from random causes, isn't it just war?

    I always feel that, like Saw, both series started out with good films and a neat premise, then went down the gore porn ritual sacrifice alley that's probably easy and cheap to roll out every couple of years.

    I think that's a tad harsh

    After all, the Final Destination movies are basically ultraviolent Looney Tunes at a certain point

    There's worth in that

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    BlankZoeGvzbgulSweeney Tom
  • darleysamdarleysam UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Olivaw wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the Final Destination films. But I think one set in World War II would be pretty good. Because at that point, with everyone dying from random causes, isn't it just war?

    I always feel that, like Saw, both series started out with good films and a neat premise, then went down the gore porn ritual sacrifice alley that's probably easy and cheap to roll out every couple of years.

    I think that's a tad harsh

    After all, the Final Destination movies are basically ultraviolent Looney Tunes at a certain point

    There's worth in that

    True, but even with that they've lost any finesse. It's just bags of red being chucked out a window or under a bus. I feel like there was a creativity to the deaths and their ser-up in the first two/three of films that's been lost since then. I'll still watch for the entertainment of seeing teenagers explode, but I think it's a shame that that's all they are.
    But then again, when your film's called Final Destination 5, there's probably a daed dove in the bag*.
    *user has never watched Arrested Development.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    The first Saw was okay until the ending,
    where it turns out the killer is so super smart that he was completely prepared for every single thing that happened, really annoyed me.

  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i liked the first Saw a lot, watched 2,3, and 4 but didn't really care for em

    I admit, though, that the way they interwove ("tangled" is probably the more accurate word, but) the plots and chronology of them all did keep me mildly interested

    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Just saw the new RoboCop and I thought it was pretty good!

    Especially Samuel L Jackson at the end

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    Reynolds
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul I am silent and my silence is complicity. Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the Final Destination films. But I think one set in World War II would be pretty good. Because at that point, with everyone dying from random causes, isn't it just war?

    I always feel that, like Saw, both series started out with good films and a neat premise, then went down the gore porn ritual sacrifice alley that's probably easy and cheap to roll out every couple of years.

    I think that's a tad harsh

    After all, the Final Destination movies are basically ultraviolent Looney Tunes at a certain point

    There's worth in that

    Then they should be half an hour long. Ooh, or a tv series.

  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Some girl just told me she doesn't know who Bill Murray is. And not just by name.
    Apparently she never even heard of Ghostbusters or Groundhog Day.

    And it's not like she never watches movies, she works in a cinema and told me how excited she was for Monuments Man and that's how that discussion started.

    MacGuffin on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the Final Destination films. But I think one set in World War II would be pretty good. Because at that point, with everyone dying from random causes, isn't it just war?

    I always feel that, like Saw, both series started out with good films and a neat premise, then went down the gore porn ritual sacrifice alley that's probably easy and cheap to roll out every couple of years.

    The most recent FD was good. And the most recent Saw (the 3D one) was alright, certainly better than 4, 5 and 6 were.

  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    It's worth noting that yoji did concept art for Godzilla final wars, it would be cool if he could indeed do some designs for Pacific rim 2

    JayKaosRainfall
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    Some girl just told me she doesn't know who Bill Murray is. And not just by name.
    Apparently she never even heard of Ghostbusters or Groundhog Day.

    And it's not like she never watches movies, she works in a cinema and told me how excited she was for Monuments Man and that's how that discussion started.

    this is impossible

    you met a unicorn, MacGuffin

    Etchwarts
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that yoji did concept art for Godzilla final wars, it would be cool if he could indeed do some designs for Pacific rim 2

    I was just thinking that that poster reminded me of this one:
    godzilla-final-wars-movie-poster-2004-1020433249.jpg

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    Some girl just told me she doesn't know who Bill Murray is. And not just by name.
    Apparently she never even heard of Ghostbusters or Groundhog Day.

    And it's not like she never watches movies, she works in a cinema and told me how excited she was for Monuments Man and that's how that discussion started.
    Jesus Christ.

    I imagine it's like me having classmate who'd never heard of Wu-Tang or ODB or ... Shit that makes me feel like a fossil.

  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    I wasn't even mad, just amazed. And excited, there's so much for her to discover.

    A whole new world, a dazzling place she never knew.

  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    I wasn't even mad, just amazed. And excited, there's so much for her to discover.

    A whole new world, a dazzling place she never knew.
    These fuckers don't seem to care, either.

  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    you know I bet your parents are stunned at the pop culture you don't somehow instinctually know as well, guys

    Arang
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    I wasn't even mad, just amazed. And excited, there's so much for her to discover.

    A whole new world, a dazzling place she never knew.
    These fuckers don't seem to care, either.
    Who are the fuckers in this post

    and what don't they care about

    and why does it make you mad

    2x39jD4.jpg
    BlankZoeTheodore Floosevelt
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Is this where I mention that I'm 33 and never saw Ghostbusters or Caddyshack all the way through?

    Or that the only reason I know who WuTang and ODB are is because my college roommate was obsessed with them in that weird way that suburban white kids (dude was from Wyoming!) get obsessed with rap?

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    I have a lot of mixed feelings about robocop.

    As much as loved the original (and while I love Rosa's line of, it has all of my favourite things, gratuitous violence) what I loved about the original was that it was satire and everyone was in on the joke.

    Sam LJ in this movie was really the only one doing satire here. And it's not their fault, the rest of the movie wasn't written like that. But because of it, it just lacked soul for the rest of the movie.

  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    I wasn't even mad, just amazed. And excited, there's so much for her to discover.

    A whole new world, a dazzling place she never knew.
    These fuckers don't seem to care, either.
    Who are the fuckers in this post

    and what don't they care about

    and why does it make you mad

    Crimsondude is naturally infuriated at the mention of anyone that was born after him

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    No, they didn't Geebs.
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    I wasn't even mad, just amazed. And excited, there's so much for her to discover.

    A whole new world, a dazzling place she never knew.
    These fuckers don't seem to care, either.
    Who are the fuckers in this post

    and what don't they care about

    and why does it make you mad
    N/M
    knitdan wrote: »
    Is this where I mention that I'm 33 and never saw Ghostbusters or Caddyshack all the way through?

    Or that the only reason I know who WuTang and ODB are is because my college roommate was obsessed with them in that weird way that suburban white kids (dude was from Wyoming!) get obsessed with rap?
    Who deprived you of your childhood?

    Crimsondude on
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    And the action didn't seem to really jibe with what I felt robocop should be.

    Half the time if felt like robocop would jazz hands at a bad guy and they'd fall down and other times he'd do the same thing but he'd get shot.

    Robocop of the eighties was the monolithic dude who would stand there and take punishment but this time, sometimes he was fast and sometimes he was not. There was no real consistency on what they wanted him to be.

    (I did like the family theme of how human was he and all that though)

  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    This is an attitude I am increasingly impatient with.

    The idea that I have somehow "missed out" because I haven't experienced some arbitrary piece of 80s pop culture is just silly.

    I have seen parts of Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. Neither gave me any desire to see them in their entirety, and frankly all the good lines are so over quoted that I don't need to see them to get the idea anyway.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I think Ghostbusters is my favorite movie.

    It's absolutely the one I've seen the most.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CrimsondudeProhassrhylith
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    You have missed out.

    You have missed out on watching an excellent movie.

    CrimsondudeDonovan PuppyfuckerOlivawKanarhylithHacksawMulysaSempronius
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    This is an attitude I am increasingly impatient with.

    The idea that I have somehow "missed out" because I haven't experienced some arbitrary piece of 80s pop culture is just silly.

    I have seen parts of Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. Neither gave me any desire to see them in their entirety, and frankly all the good lines are so over quoted that I don't need to see them to get the idea anyway.

    You know, I very rarely heard Ghostbusters quoted.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    BlankZoeCrimsondude
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I don't think I'd call Ghostbusters "some arbitrary piece of 80s pop culture."

    I'd call it a very well-made comedy/sci-fi film.

    One that people should be introduced to.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    BlankZoe
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    This is an attitude I am increasingly impatient with.

    The idea that I have somehow "missed out" because I haven't experienced some arbitrary piece of 80s pop culture is just silly.

    I have seen parts of Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. Neither gave me any desire to see them in their entirety, and frankly all the good lines are so over quoted that I don't need to see them to get the idea anyway.

    You know, I very rarely heard Ghostbusters quoted.

    "No human being would stack books that way."

    "Ray, when someone asks if you're a God, you say yes!"

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I have heard Ghostbusters quoted as nauseum my entire life.

    I mean, a lot of it by me admittedly but it is absolutely a movie that gets quoted all the time.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Is this true?

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I have heard Ghostbusters quoted as nauseum my entire life.

    I mean, a lot of it by me admittedly but it is absolutely a movie that gets quoted all the time.

    How do you quote something "as nauseum"?

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    ad nauseum

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Is this true?
    It's true, your honor. This thread has no dick.

    Donovan Puppyfucker
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular


    The official trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy

    This is the most excited I've ever been about a comic book movie and I have never ever read the comic

    6F32U1X.png
    Dr. FlamingoUnbreakableVow
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I've never seen Ghostbusters 1 or 2, OR groundhog day. My favorite bill murray movie is space jam.

  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    This is an attitude I am increasingly impatient with.

    The idea that I have somehow "missed out" because I haven't experienced some arbitrary piece of 80s pop culture is just silly.

    I have seen parts of Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. Neither gave me any desire to see them in their entirety, and frankly all the good lines are so over quoted that I don't need to see them to get the idea anyway.

    You know, I very rarely heard Ghostbusters quoted.

    "No human being would stack books that way."

    "Ray, when someone asks if you're a God, you say yes!"

    I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    This is an attitude I am increasingly impatient with.

    The idea that I have somehow "missed out" because I haven't experienced some arbitrary piece of 80s pop culture is just silly.

    I have seen parts of Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. Neither gave me any desire to see them in their entirety, and frankly all the good lines are so over quoted that I don't need to see them to get the idea anyway.

    You know, I very rarely heard Ghostbusters quoted.

    "No human being would stack books that way."

    "Ray, when someone asks if you're a God, you say yes!"

    I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

    Shower more often and you won't have this problem.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    This is an attitude I am increasingly impatient with.

    The idea that I have somehow "missed out" because I haven't experienced some arbitrary piece of 80s pop culture is just silly.

    I have seen parts of Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. Neither gave me any desire to see them in their entirety, and frankly all the good lines are so over quoted that I don't need to see them to get the idea anyway.

    You know, I very rarely heard Ghostbusters quoted.

    You and me, Zon. Let's change the world into a better place.

    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I've never seen Ghostbusters 1 or 2, OR groundhog day. My favorite bill murray movie is space jam.

    what the hell

    Donovan PuppyfuckerMetroidZoidKanaYaYaDer Waffle MousSpeed RacerMulysaSempronius
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'd quote Ghostbusters more but a lot of my favorite lines are hard to work into a regular conversation

    ZonugalKrieghund
This discussion has been closed.