As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb!

19596979899101»

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    GOODNIGHT SWEET GIANT BOMB THREAD

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    if I went back through games this year, for every far cry 3 I think I'd find a Gone Home to balance it out

the problem is that most of the former category are much bigger titles in terms of presence than the latter

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    if I went back through games this year, for every far cry 3 I think I'd find a Gone Home to balance it out

the problem is that most of the former category are much bigger titles in terms of presence than the latter

hence the point of simpler games being better than epic sweeping sagas that try to be artsy

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I love Club Nintendo. They gave me this sweet plush ? block that makes coin and item noises. Why? Because I bought their video games. And because they're nice.

I am head-butting the block right now.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    name ten games better than brothers that don't have a misstep

The Conduit 2

sig.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Yeah eff that

There's lots of problematic shit to be sure, but we've also got stuff like gone home, year walk, device 6, papers please, cart life, and the Stanley parable this year alone

Lots of big name games fumble and falter, or just outright offend, but that doesn't mean that well done "big artsy games" can't happen, or that they're not happening with increasing frequency

Besides, "simple" games can be just as problematic. Look at all the retro games that got wrung out in tropes vs women for using damsels in distress, or how much Anita sarkeesian (is that how you spell her name?) had to say about ms. Pacman, who's about as "simple" and "for kids" as you can get

And even then there are big name AAA budget games that manage to avoid offense. Look at Assassin's Creed. Sure it'd be nice if they made their protagonists more sexually diverse, but they are very racially diverse, and from what I remember there's never anything actively offensive in any of those games

• Options
    furthermore what does it say that the kind of people who demonize homosexuality are the kind of people that get to make big aaa video games and the kind of people who don't are the kind of people that get to make low budget pc games

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    in the closet ending of stanley parable the narrator calls stanley fat and ugly and says he loves prostitutes, all meant as negatives

boycott for fatshaming, uglyshaming, prostishaming

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Reminder that one of the very first big games released this year, tomb raider, was a fantastically written and smart game

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    furthermore what does it say that the kind of people who demonize homosexuality are the kind of people that get to make big aaa video games and the kind of people who don't are the kind of people that get to make low budget pc games

That marketing is the devil

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    video game design is an evolving organism

when met with challenges, regression is not an option

• Options

even outside the context of this discussion, there are many arguments to be made for scaling back the aaa machine in favor of smaller video games

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Far Cry 3 is the best

• Options

even outside the context of this discussion, there are many arguments to be made for scaling back the aaa machine in favor of smaller video games
    sure but you didn't say "smaller" video games, you said "simpler" video games

they are not one and the same

• Options
    This generation is going to be the one that kills big budget games. There will be a few games that actually sell enough to justify the big investments, but the days of companies spending millions on a game and then just eating the loss have got to end.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I have never seen a video game be offensive to me in it's basic mechanics. It's writing that's the problem, and i don't believe that every AAA game has to have something gross to appeal to people anymore than movies do.

• Options
    tomb raider turns into a damsel in distress story and assassin's creed 4 sexualizes a minor

gone home, year walk, device 6, papers please, cart life, and the Stanley parable are great but guess what they're all simpler, lower budget, lower profile games

well, "simple" may not be the right word for the likes of device 6 and stanley but you know what I mean in that they are not the same class of game that ryse is

simple retro games can indeed also be problematic but not at the same rate that big games seem to be

where are six big games that aren't problematic in some area

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    tomb raider turns into a damsel in distress story and assassin's creed 4 sexualizes a minor

gone home, year walk, device 6, papers please, cart life, and the Stanley parable are great but guess what they're all simpler, lower budget, lower profile games

well, "simple" may not be the right word for the likes of device 6 and stanley but you know what I mean in that they are not the same class of game that ryse is

simple retro games can indeed also be problematic but not at the same rate that big games seem to be

It's a friend in distress story

You save both a girl and a dude, and your character is female

I don't think that one of the people saved being a woman invalidates that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Wait what about AC4?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Those games you listed are also artsy bullshit

And I don't mean that in a bad way, sometimes I want artsy bullshit

But more often than not I want the big action games

I could throw out examples like Uncharted but it doesn't really matter

People will find something to complain about with them

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Tomb Raider's damsel in distress story was fine and not what I would consider problematic.

• Options

It's a friend in distress story

You save both a girl and a dude, and your character is female

I don't think that one of the people saved being a woman invalidates that

even alex gets to be a hero while sam does a whole lotta nothin

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    What you are asking for is 6 stories that are literally perfect and have nothing to object to in any way whatsoever

Which sounds like you're asking for a hell of a lot

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Define "big," -Tal.

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.