As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Resser preview is up

http://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2016/5/23/monday-preview-reva

Wyrd has always made some fine mounted models, damn.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Interesting, seems like Wyrd changed Reva's background after the leaks. She was originally an Einherjar, not a Revenant.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That looks gooood. I am excited.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Burnage wrote: »
    Interesting, seems like Wyrd changed Reva's background after the leaks. She was originally an Einherjar, not a Revenant.

Probably not in reaction to the leak, they'd have already been working on fluff for it. Probably just decided to change the keyword. It's a new keyword anyway so it doesn't affect anything. Likely just a bit easier to read.

That said they've been none too happy about the leaks to the point of reconsidering how they do beta testing.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I knew the funky haired model would be an Oni master!

unnamed.thumb.jpg.cd087390b7925a236229e637a0449660.jpg
    ?format=1500w

• Options
    New Master - Sandeep Desai, Arcanist. This guy looks fairly interesting - he lets other models borrow his Ca actions, and once per turn if someone does this and gets a Tome in their duel, he can make an additional (1) action. Also his fluff mentions he likes Gamin. Maybe a Gamin summoner? Maybe Sand Gamin to go with his theme? My only issue with him is I flat out don't like the model.

?format=1500w

• Options
    Guild Master - Reporter.

?format=1500w

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Innnnnteresting.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Managed to find Miss Terious on eBay for $50au including shipping. That's actually cheaper than I'd get her direct from Wyrd if I managed to get on the sales quick enough.

Malifaux has actually taken over Infinity as the main game my brother and I play. The rules are a lot simpler and having all the models rules on their cards eliminates 90% of flipping through books, so it's just so much more convenient. My brothers also taken to playing at the FLGS on Thursday nights and is considering applying to be a henchman.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2016
    A counterpoint a friend pointed out to me is that Malifaux is harder to get into because you don't have all the rules in one place and generally have no idea what models you don't own can actually do.

Which is a fair point, but it's not a big deal to me.

edit: or wait, expansions include new models in the book, right? Does the full rulebook do that too? I don't actually own the physical rulebooks yet, and I only have the PDF version with just the rules.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Big rulebook has all wave 1 models, Crossroads has all wave 2 models and Shifting Loyalties has all wave 3 models.

What I meant was because the game uses unit cards, the rules for what you have are all I the table in front of you and the cards tell you everything a unit can do. You might need to flip through the book if you come across a new condition or something but the rules are simple enough that once you know how to play flipping through books is rare.

With infinity unless you print your list from army 5 or use something on a tablet like Mayanet you're looking through books or PDFs for stats and range bands constantly, always looking for new equipment rules or going through hacking charts. There's just so much more going on in a game of infinity.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    These new Masters all seem heavy on free/manipulation of Scheme markers. That's an awesome identity, but I wonder if they will obsolete the old Masters in some ways.

• Options
    I noticed we missed Parker Barrows, Outcast Bandit.

?format=1500w
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    These new Masters all seem heavy on free/manipulation of Scheme markers. That's an awesome identity, but I wonder if they will
    obsolete the old Masters in some ways.

Not really. Asami, Reva and Sandeep don't have an scheme marker manipulation that we've seen. Asami buffs Oni. Sandeep borrows (or lends out? I forget) Ca actions. Reva attacks through Corpse markers. Until now Neverborn, Outcasts and Guild haven't had heavy scheme marker manipulators (to my knowledge, it's a bit limited on Outcasts and Guild).

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bonnie Parker + Clyde Barrow = Parker Barrows

And Guild girl is clearly Nellie Bly.

• Options
    Some more stuff from The Other Side, plus some scale shots of the Emmisarys (only Hodgepodge is missing). Pandora is there for reference. Emmisarys are the largest models they will be making for Malifaux. The giant up the back are Titans from The Other Side.

20160623_115113.thumb.jpg.9e225911ed89c8ffd9268ac593ab9e62.jpg

There's also closeups of those two tan coloured models in the lower corner.

Warped-Promo.thumb.jpg.26343fdc00abdc8744c1a6c1ae24c581.jpg
    20160623_133908.thumb.jpg.ff670dc21bbb86a915138e7c7eacca94.jpg
    20160623_133928.thumb.jpg.702f7621459d6496aaec6c2302e2a9ac.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2016
    This years Nightmare and Miss models. Linked because OMG HUGE.

Nightmare McCabe box, The Wild Ones. Inspiration here is pretty obvious. This is the first alternate starter where the contents have actually changed. Wastrels have been swapped out for Mounted Guard.

Miss Fire, counts as Willie

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    The box looks really cool. This is my #1 problem with Malifaux. I paint very slowly and I want to buy all the models. I started off wanting to play Arcanists and now I'm looking at expanding into Ten Thunders, maybe outcasts, no wait maybe guild, what about gremlins? Ugh!

• Options
    Do we have any sort of rules spoilers for Otherside?

I've taken time off of Malifaux to play Age of Sigmar or all things, but I could probably be lured back in with the promise of a mid tier skirmish game.

• Options
    No, they haven't spoken much about it. But apparently word is they might have a demo table at Gencon.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Monday preview - all 7 new crew boxes. Linked for hilariously holy shit huge.

I absolutely LOVE The Queen Returns. I liked Titanias model since I saw it, but the rest are amazing. The Claw, Tooth and Thorn Autumn Knights are incredible. Each one is individual and looks badass. Aeslin looks super fun to paint. The Gorar and is a touch boring, but still a nice model.

The Sky Pirates are standouts as well. Not a huge fan of Zipp still, but Skeeter Riders?!? Popular guess was the pirate Silurid would be in this crew since, well, pirates. Still good to see it there.

I really like The Onis Wrath and The Mercy of Death, but not enough to want to run out right away and start Thunders or Ressers. The Penis Mightier looks fun, but again not really my thing. Beacon of Knowlegde... eh. I wasn't a fan of Sandeep when they showed him, and this didn't change my mind. Having Poison Gamin is interesting. A Fist Full of Scrip is great.

All of them will be early release at Gencon. I'll likely be skipping The Wild Ones at Gencon since I'm not a massive fan. Early release Titania? Yeeeessss please.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I have a weakness for fae-esque creatures named only by titles, so I guess that Neverborn box is a must buy.

• Options
    I have a weakness for fae-esque creatures named only by titles, so I guess that Neverborn box is a must buy.

The interesting part of that box is it appears it's like Perdita and Ophelias boxes, there's no minions.

I'm guessing The Thorn, The Claw and The Tooth are Enforcers. They're all armed entirely differently, which while is it not altogether unprecedented (Ten Thunder Brothers are all armed differently), they all look very individual. I'm hoping each one has a very specific playstyle.

But then, that begs the question, who are Titanias minions?

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

The interesting part of that box is it appears it's like Perdita and Ophelias boxes, there's no minions.

I'm guessing The Thorn, The Claw and The Tooth are Enforcers. They're all armed entirely differently, which while is it not altogether unprecedented (Ten Thunder Brothers are all armed differently), they all look very individual. I'm hoping each one has a very specific playstyle.

But then, that begs the question, who are Titanias minions?

Waldgeists maybe?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Waldgeists are Swampfiends. I don't think there's a Neverborn master without Minions that have their masters keyword, so we need a Fae Minion.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Fair enough

• Options
    Is there a possibility that older minions might get the Fae keyword added if Titania's the chosen master? I could see Changelings as a concept being kind of a Fae thing, for instance.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Possibly, but I think it would be a bit of a waste of potential. We have no Fae so far, so the chance to add a few Fae units should be used.

I'm really holding out hope that those creepy little things coming out of the carnivorous plants on the base of the Mysterious Emmisary are Fae minions, because I love their design. Also they really fit the nature look they've got going for their Fae.

Wyrd-Mysterious.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Full list of prerelease stuff Wyrd are selling during Gencon;
    Shifting Loyalties models

WYR20235 - Anna Lovelace - $11
    WYR20342 - Arcane Emissary - $40
    WYR20530 - Big Jake - $11
    WYR20131 - Brutal Emissary - $40
    WYR20433 - Bunraku - $21
    WYR20238 - Carrion Emissary - $40
    WYR20432 - Changeling - $21
    WYR20431 - Corrupted Hound - $24
    WYR20237 - Hayreddin - $11
    WYR20532 - Hodgepodge Emissary - $40
    WYR20341 - Ice Dancer - $18
    WYR20232 - Jaakuna Ubume - $18
    WYR20721 - Jorogumo - $40
    WYR20634 - Lucky Emissary - $40
    WYR20128 - Master Queeg - $11
    WYR20633 - Mechanized Porkchop - $18
    WYR20130 - Mounted Guard - $40
    WYR20434 - Mysterious Emissary - $40
    WYR20720 - Obsidian Oni - $24
    WYR20129 - Sanctioned Spellcaster - $21
    WYR20529 - Scion of the Void - $11
    WYR20722 - Shadow Emissary - $40
    WYR20631 - Sparks - $11
    WYR20634 - Survivor - $21
    WYR20236 - The Forgotten Marshal - $11
    WYR20340 - The Scorpius - $15
    WYR21049 - The Tortoise and the Hare - $40
    WYR20531 - The Winged Plague - $21
    WYR20719 - Wandering River Monk - $21
    WYR20339 - Wind Gamin - $21

Ripples of Fate models

WYR20635 - The Sky Pirates - $50
    WYR20343 - Beacon of Knowledge - $50
    WYR20723 - An Oni's Wrath - $50
    WYR20132 - The Pen Is Mightier - $50
    WYR20435 - The Queen's Return - $50
    WYR20533 - A Fistful of Scrip - $50
    WYR20239 - The Mercy of Death - $50

Books & Cards

WYR20035 - Fate Deck, Classic - $12.50
    WYR20034 - Fate Deck, Iconic - $15
    WYR20036 - Fate Deck, Twisted - $15
    WYR20038 - M2E: Ripples of Fate - $45
    WYR30106 - TTB: Into the Bayou - $45
    WYR30205 - TTB: The Bayou Games Penny Dreadful - $25

The Queen's Return is the main thing jumping out at me as a "Holy shit, buy this", but I'm a little worried about shipping costs and currency conversion to the UK. Might hold off and see if I can wind up getting it cheaper elsewhere.

• Options
    Ha, I was just going to come and post this.

$95 for The Wild Ones is definitely too rich for me. It's a great looking set, but it'll just sit in my drawer and not do anything. I still haven't finished my Dark Carnival set.

I'll be in for The Queen Returns, the Mysterious Emmisary, Ripples of Fate and an Iconic Fate deck. I've got 2 Fate decks and 3 more coming at Christmas from my huge TTB set, but you can never have too many Fate decks.

My brother is also grabbing a Mysterious Emmisary and a Twisted Fate deck, so I'll probably throw the Queen Returns into that one to make 2 $100 orders for two Miss Fires, one each.

• Options
    I haven't played Malifaux in a long time, and it's probably because the Queen Returns hasn't been a thing.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Funnily enough, it's nearly all I've played this year. The slow grow at my FLGS really ignited the game for my brother and I, and I've been giving demo games to a friend who is on the fence but wants Hamlin.

Also, bit of interesting news. Someone on Wyrds official board was asking about a possible Gremlin multipart kit for Through the Breach. This gets asked pretty regularly, moreso since they announced Into the Bayou and Gremlin PC's will be a thing.

Nathan Carolands response was different to the usual 'we're not doing a Gremlin MPP kit'. He said 'Already done one'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to branch out some in to Ten Thunders so the McCabe box is tempting, but I think too pricey for me. Probably going to order Arcane and Shadow Emmisary, the book and a fate deck. Maybe Asami's box. Ugh my money.

• Options
    Wyrd updated their Malifaux section with information on the new masters, including the front and back of the master cards. Cards are all below, but there's more information in the masters respective pages.
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w
    ?format=500w

• Options
    edited July 2016
    So, reading Titania, Asami and Zipps cards.

Titania is pretty great with scheme manipulation. Can't wait to try her. She's also got an upgrade that turns corpse and scrap markers into friendly scheme markers. Hi Ramos!

Asami is terrifying. Her summons come in on full health, Slow (as normal) and Flicker (base +1, but +1 for each scheme or scrap marker within 2" of the summon). Her ability that lets Oni within 4" make 1AP charge actions means Slow is effectively negated. Flicker is a condition that drops by 1 each turn, and when 0, the model is sacrificed. But she can still essentially use Oni as missiles even if there's no corpse or scrap markers. Having a Joragumo appear and charge you out of nowhere is pretty nasty. Nice balance though by making Flicker a condition, so anyone with condition removal can essentially KO them in one shot. I think my Mysterious Emmisary will get a work out.

Zipp is great. A lot of people have maligned his Insignificant ability, but apparently both of his limited upgrades let him end conditions on himself, so his only real drawback is he can't Interact. And really, I've never used a master to do schemes. Feels like a waste of their AP. Hilariously, Mancha Roja can catapult charge off Zipps Noxious Fumes markers.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    1469653441041.png

Are those weregoblinpigs in the bottom left?

• Options
    Weregremlinpigs, yes. Apparently the orange things are sentient slop. Sentient. Slop.

Also further news is we finally have a use for Guilders. 5 Guilders gets you one of those plastic, vintage masters they showed a while back. I was expecting them to be harder to get, but that we me being pessimistic, since Wyrd generally makes their LE models fairly accessible. 5 Guilders isn't hard to accumulate as long as you attend official events, since you generally get one at an even regardless of how well you do, and 3 if you win if it's a tournament or league.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Next unit art, Guild. These aren't really blowing my skirt up. I like the idea behind a team of reporters, and Malifaux is definitely the game where a bunch of reporters could work as a crew, but... it's not doing it for me. Love the Marshall and his slaves though. Interested in what those bring to the table.

?format=1500w

-Loki- on
  • Options
    And Outcasts. Looks like the box (5 of the right, second on the left) and 3 more units to make 7 units, like Guild and Gremlins. New units are Aionus (which we already have), and 2 new minion types. Looks like finally a Last Blossom Outcast unit for Misaki, and some undead istoleros, likely for Jack Daw or Tara. Personally I'm hoping Jack Daw.

?format=1500w

• Options
    And the rest.

Arcanists
    ?format=1500w

Ten Thunders
    2560x1440_M2E_ripplesoffate_tenthunders.png

Resurrectionists.
    ?format=1500w

Neverborn (not meant to be out till tomorrow, leaked on Dakka Dakka)
    15n4mu0.jpg

• Options
    Huh. I was hoping for something a bit more exciting for the Neverborn not included in The Queen's Return.