As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Honestly the Viks are fine for a teaching game. Von badass vs Viktorias wouldn't be bad for a learning game. One is slow and tough and shooty but still a bit stabby, the other is fast and fragile and stabby but still a bit shooty.

Better than throwing Lucius at him and shooting him to death with constantly reactivating minions

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So they released details about Divergent Paths and it sounds fucking awesome.
    Divergent Paths is global Malifaux event that gives players all over the world a chance to help shape the future of Malifaux. It begins with three individuals: a snarky practical joker, an inquisitive child, and a self-righteous man. As the event progresses, each character will walk their own path and become something different from what they once were.

Divergent Paths puts the control of these character’s development in the hands of our community of players. Every other week, each character will be given a special story encounter scenario and a list of abilities. Based on which Faction gets the most wins in the story encounter, the character will gain one of those abilities. At the end of the campaign, each character will become an actual Malifaux model with abilities based on the results of the campaign.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    No need for a henchman is good as I can at least report my games. I'll be representing Neverborn.

I've been building The Queen Returns set, and Titania, The Claw, The Tooth and The Gorar went together fine. The Thorn is a bit more difficult because of how the arms line up and the whips. I'm dreading building Aeslin.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh sweet. I thought lack of a henchman would leave us out of it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Oh sweet. I thought lack of a henchman would leave us out of it.

The difference to the last time is each game can only be submitted once, by the victor, and only the special scenarios. So they're getting a much smaller set of game results to go through. Last time all games of any type counted but had to be submitted by a henchman, so they got a much bigger set of results.

I'm guessing the smaller set of results is to make it easier to parse the data to figure out each weeks tweaks to the characters.

edit - Hmm. Seems it's changed. Now it says about stores submitting results, which may mean henchmen are needed again. I'll have to look it up when I get home.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Guild Master - Reporter.

?format=1500w
    Echo wrote: »
    And Guild girl is clearly Nellie Bly.
    I love this.

This is probably my favorite game that I've never played, which I should really fix sometime. And I've been getting a hankering to do some painting again....

Where does one find all the fluff stuff? In various rulebooks?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Fluff is in several places. Because it's a progressing timeline, fluff in older books is actually fluff from prior to newer books.

Fluff from 1st edition is in the rulebooks for that edition. 1.5E rulebook, 1.5E Rising Powers, 1.5E Twisting Fates and 1.5E Storm of Shadows.
    Just a point before moving on - this fluff is all available for free as old style radio broadcasts from the Breachside Broadcast. So if you prefer to listen to it narrated, you can just download those. They haven't all been done, but they're working through it.

Fluff from 2nd edition is in the 2E rulebook, 2E Crossroads, 2E Shifting Loyalties and 2E Ripples of Fate.

Additional fluff is in Chronicles, their bi-monthly e-zine. These are all available from drivethruRPG for free. These generally contain 2 fluff stories each, and they take place in the timeline of the edition they were written in.

There's also additional fluff in the RPG books, Through the Breach. These are the Fated Almanac, Fatemasters Almanac, Into the Steam, Under Quaratine, Into the Bayou, and lots of adventure books.

So yeah, there's a lot of fluff out there now. If you just want to get started and see what's up, listening to the Breachside Broadcast is a good place to start.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Chronicles are very sporadically released in the early days. I found this on the Wyrd forum:
    Chronicles vol1 & vol2: Pre-release

Core Rulebook August 2009

Chronicles vol3: Just after release

Rising Powers Book: August 2010

Twisting Fates: Late 2011

Storm of Shadows: Late 2012

Chronicles vol4 - vol 6: early-mid 2013

Core 2nd Edition: late 2013

Chronicles vol7 - vol10

The Divergent Paths scenarios are up. Looks fun. I'll be intrigued to see if the same factions keep winning the same figures leading to strongly themed end results or if they ping about between factions and end up a crazy mix.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Hmm, the Self-Righteous Man seems to be pretty much instantly over if one of you has a 'From the Shadows' guy and the other doesn't. A pretty huge advantage in the Inquisitive Child as well.

Edit: Oh wait, can't spring the guy until turn 2. That makes it less of a big thing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Lots of objectives only count from turn 2 onwards specifically because of From the Shadows.

• Options
    Nooo! Game night, just got as far the opening moves of turn one, when my phone goes off and I'm called back in to work to sort out a piece of exploding equipment in the lab. Denied!

The world owes me a game.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Trying my first big boy 50ss game on Friday. Doing the Self-Rightous Man scenario and a pre-drawn scheme pool of:

Assassinate, Protect Territory, Vendetta, Murder Protege.

My list is basically everything I own, so Lucius, Scribe, Dashel, 2x Warden, 2x Lawyer, 2x Rifleman.

Gone for two Expert Sleuth upgrades to hopefully nab that second turn initiative flip to get the rescue points. That and using Lucius' extra minion activations to make sure I have someone there ready at the end of turn 1.

He'll be playing VonSchill so Assassinate is right out and Murder Protege probably not a great idea either.

So Protect Territory should be fine as long as I can stay alive as I have plenty of scheme dropping capability. And I reckon Vendetta with a rifleman against a bog standard Friekorpsmann should be pretty doable.

Predicting he'll go for Assassinate but keeping Lucius alive should be fine, especially with lawyer aid. He'll certainly not go down without a fight anyway. If he goes Muder Protege, that's Dashel and he's fairly solid as well.

I suspect he'll discard Vendeta as too complicated and if he goes for Line in the Sand or Protect Territory then hopefully I can summon in some Guardsman to get on scheme clear up duty. Plus Lucius' lovely Legalese upgrade.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    A glorious win for The Guild! My rifleman had to sprint halfway across the battlefield to get his vendetta kill and took three activations from Lucius to do it, but he got his man in the end.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Continuing my one man Malifaux thread...

Got curb stomped by Wong in the Trickster Divergent Paths scenario. That random card based deployment really lost me a lot of my synergies, and pretty much everything he had ignored armour which I carry quite a bit of. Harsh.

Called it at the start of turn 5 as I only had a heavily wounded Dashel left! Not sure what I did wrong beyond having a bad matchup. Maybe concentrating too much on schemes and not enough on killing in the early turns?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Yeah it gets a bit quiet at times in here. We've been on more of an Infinity kick lately since Human Sphere dropped. I'm still working away on my Malifaux stuff, but game time has been pretty limited so I've only gotten Infinity games in.

Random deployment is hard. As a Neverborn player, I feel it. A lot of range based synergies where random deployment just fucks it all up.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to actually play my first game of this on Tuesday if tabletop nights at my FLGS feature Malifaux (I think they do).

Any suggestions for a first timer? Should I bring my own deck? Tokenses? The fury of ten thousand dying suns compressed into a blackened and burning heart? A measuring string?

Oh and I've been assuming that the boxed sets with a leader and a couple other dudes are sufficient for a team.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    If someone is giving demo games, I'd assume they'd have spare fate decks and tokens, so I wouldn't worry about those.

The crew boxes are sufficient to start a crew. The standard game size is 50 soul stones (they are not called points because unspent soul stones can be used in game). and crew boxes hover between about 20 soul stones (mostly summoners are this low, as most of their box isn't 'paid for') to about 35 soul stones. Non summoner boxes can usually be brought up to 50 soul stones with one or two purchases, while summoners require more to get the most out of them. One in particular can essentially summon the entire faction and is super expensive.

For example, in Neverborn, Lilith and Pandora boxes are 30-35 soul stones. Buying Pandoras box and a Teddy gives you a pretty good 50 soul stone list. Buying Liliths box and either the Nephilim box or Lelu and Lilutu box gives you a pretty good 50 soul stone list.

The Dreamer can be played as a Summoner with one of his upgrade, but even if you don't take that upgrade, you only pay for one model in his box, Coppelius. The Alps can be hired, but they're not particularly good and he has various abilities that summon them as by-products so you wind up getting them anyway. Lord Chompy Bits is the other half of the Dreamer, and comes out as part of his mechanics when the Dreamer goes to 'sleep'. So for the Dreamer, you want quite a bit more purchases. Usually a box of Insidious Madnesses, a box of Stitched Together, a Teddy and the Lelu and Lilutu box. Even if not playing him as a summoner.

So if you want to keep it light and start with a 'cheaper' master, avoid the summoners. They are:
    Ressurectionists - Nicodemus (this dude basically summons everything in the faction), Kirai, Molly
    Neverborn - The Dreamer
    Ten Thunders - Asami
    Arcanists - Sandeep

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Oh I've already got a crew picked out, but sounds like I have an excellent excuse to get a bit more.

But then... more painting....

• Options
    edited September 2016
    The unfortunate thing about Gremlins is that what a lot of crews want are in starter boxes. For a lot of crews you want Trixibelle, who you already have. A lot of crews also want Lenny and Bayou Gremlins. Lenny is only in So'mers box, which also has Bayou Gremlins, so at that point you just buy So'mers box and also get So'mer and two Skeeters. A lot of crews also want Francois, Raphael and Rami, who are only Ophelias box, so you might as well just buy that box and get Pere Ravage, Ophelia and three Young Lacroix with them.

Gremlins in Malifaux are very much like Gremlins the movie. You just... accumulate more. The plus side is you unintentionally acquire a good selection of Masters.

Also, be prepared to lose for a while. Not specific to Gremlins, but Malifaux, while being streamlined in 2E, is very deep. Every trigger should be considered, and when you cheat for different triggers, and when not to cheat even if it means losing a model. It takes a while to get into the flow of the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    "Accumulating more" kind of feels like the theme of every faction. It helps that most things which aren't crew boxes are priced in my impulse buy range.

• Options
    There do seem some annoying crew box only figures. Like the guy who started The Dreamer. 3 Alps is rarely enough given the amount of Alp summoning Dreamer/Copellius can do, but he's understandably not keen on buying a whole new repeat crew box! If they sold them separately he'd be buying them but as it is he's looking into proxies.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I don't think you need that many more Alps, honestly.

Dreamer can and should be summoning damn near anything over an Alp, Daydreams included, and Coppelius usually also has better uses for his Eyeballs.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Finally started painting my mans.

Now big, chunky, open-posed Dashel is done, I've got to decide which tiny, spindly, hunched over, bastard to tackle next.

Probably the riflemen. Just need to keep reminding myself that if it's a bugger to get to a bit to paint it, then it's probably not visible in the slightest on the tabletop. Just leave it black. It's shadow.

Are there any Guild models that increase your card draw? I feel like I burn through my hand pretty quick with Lucius, but suspect everyone feels like that with everyone.

I'm starting to mentally mark cards for better purposes now as well. Low tomes still good for Warden defence trigger, Crows for Lawyers, Rams for everything. No masks though. Maybe I need to plan my next purchase around getting a good Mask trigger user?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Jesus, if you thought I was a bit Mali-mad currently, I'm nothing on one of the guys in my group who started at the same time as me and just purchased his 4th crew box (Viks, VonSchill, Hamelin, now Sonia). Plenty of single model purchases as well. And somehow he's assembled and painted the entire lot the bugger!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I went really Mali-mad in the middle of the year when an FLGS was having a stock take sale. I bought so much. I sort of burned myself out a bit on them. I've got the Dreamer, Lord Chompy Bits and the three Daydreams on my desk to paint and I just don't have the enthusiasm. I still have Aeslin and the Mysterious Emmisary to build from Gencon and eeeehhhh.

• Options
    I'm trying to be strong and not buy new things until I have a good chunk of my current stuff painted. I keep forever changing my mind on what I would actually get next though. Brutal Emissary is cool, but maybe Hoffman box as I could find uses for all those mechs, or is it time to dabble in Neverborn mimics?

For the moment I cheated and made another big order for books and cards. They totally don't count.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Also no, there isn't card draw in guild. I was reading some Wyrd forums stuff, and neverborn Lucius is currently considred far superior to guild Lucius because of the lack of draw.

I don't know if there is anything in the new book to alleviate that.

If you do pick up Hoffman, don't over focus on mechs.

E-stupid autocorrect.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    BCA4EE65-73B4-4B3A-87C0-1BD545FD84B2_zpsqey5zl6y.jpg

Two down! I'm setting a target of 50% painted before I can buy new toys. So four to go.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Need to think about which paints I need to get to steal replicate this, because I really like this scheme.

6H3Wfjg.jpg

• Options
    Drybrushing trick.

Start with a dark brown and then feather a lighter color brown onto the areas you want to "pop".

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Well, wife and I played thru the tutorial starter set. She enjoyed it so much that she started researching crews on her own. So now we have both ordered a crew and a play mat.

Question! I'll be making terrain eventually but to start out with we'll be using the mat and 2d images with height etc written on. Anybody got hot tips for good places to find printable 2d terrain/building etc resources?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    This is kind of similar, albeit a bit less saturated, but he calls out the stuff he uses during it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTeA-yCifJw

Oh but here's the guy who painted them:
    I put some Beastial Brown on the palette, then add bits of vomit brown and keep mixing to give that orangey look. I wanted to achieve the light leather cloak. It may be worth trying some bubonic brown in the mix if after vomit brown it doesnt look or feel right.

Water that down, and slap it on top of a white spray undercoat.

• Options
    Wyrd has their own line of terrain.

What crews were you two looking at

• Options
    edited September 2016
    They actually have two lines of terrain - Plastcraft (both plain white and pre-coloured foamed PVC) and Customeeple (MDF terrain).

I find Plastcrafts pre-coloured the best if you're not put off by the premium price. The time saved not needing to paint stuff is great.

There's a bit of unintentional crossover as well. The Customeeple Dollhouse would look great with the Plastcraft High Street buildings, and the Curmudgeon Square Bandstand and Carousel would look great with the Plastcraft Carnival.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    She went Viktoria, I went McMourning.

As for 3d terrain, I'll be making some and buying some but to start out while I'm amassing stuff, I'll be printing out and laminating (free weeee) some top down assets. IE the view you'd get from roll20 or vassal.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The Vikks crew is SOLID, terrific value right out the box, especially *Taylor with the sledge, I forget her name but she's sooooo goooooooood.

The Doc's crew needs an extra purchase or two to hit full stride, Rafkin, Guild Autopsies, and eventually some more Canine Remains. I would snap up at least Rafkin.

*edit

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Just grab Vanessa to start with for the Viktorias and throw some upgrades around and you'll have a 50ss crew. Vanessa is another Sister, so she has some keyword synergies with the Victorias like her self heal also healing them. Sister is one of the actually useful keywords in the game. She provides some more ranged support with Ca actions.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    My current crew plan is the Mah Tucket crew box (because Mah is amazing) plus the Lucky Effigy I got as a gift, plus any pigs I can find at the store tomorrow.

I pretty much plan to just get models that appeal to me aesthetically and lose horribly.

Highly strategic.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Just grab Vanessa to start with for the Viktorias and throw some upgrades around and you'll have a 50ss crew. Vanessa is another Sister, so she has some keyword synergies with the Victorias like her self heal also healing them. Sister is one of the actually useful keywords in the game. She provides some more ranged support with Ca actions.

This.

Vikks are nice because they're effective in when played "in theme" like Seamus, Lilith, or the Ortegas.

With McMourning it's really just about poison.

Oh and Sebastian's ludicrously awesome card draw abilities with the right upgrades and Mortimer the Gravedigger. I don't remember the specifics it off the top of my head besides discarding corpse tokens, but I'm seeing my buddy who played extensive McMourning extensively, so I'll ask then.

edit- Wait, you have the starter set isn't the Guild stuff from there McMourning-aligned? Even if it's not, you can proxxy the Doctor guy from there as Rafkin. BOOM, saving you money dawg. (You'll need his card, with his rules though.)

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Fire base complete.

E8F532EC-18A8-428A-B4D4-E5FF132795F7_zpsw8ybjhld.jpg

I'm not even bothering to make the third rifleman as I can't ever see myself using three. I wonder if I've got any chance of selling it on?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif