The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

1262728293032»

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited September 8
    Why did I open this thread.

Okay, I'm totally going to finish painting the two sets I have this weekend. Having first gotten one whenever Mah Tucket was released.

I won't even hope to actually play a game, but, like... I won't not force somebody to play if the opportunity arises.

edit: aaaaaand done. Well, not so much done as playable. Amazing how much faster painting is when you lower your standards.

j0fc9yp08l4y.jpg

editedit: adding the other crew for good measure.

uh7ibah4wysv.jpg

Surfpossum on
    is this how nations are born
    NisiForarDraeven
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 9
    @Surfpossum nice crews! Are you planning to add to them? Hamelin really makes a lot of use of the Brotherhood of the Rat box.

I used Titania with her upgrades tonight. Royal Indignation is okay. If you're facing a lot of minions it's great damage reduction. Unfortunately that game my opponent used Asami with Ama No Zako, Yasunori, Yin, Amanjaku and I think only a Thunder Brother. It hurt, but I eeked out a draw.

Second game we played a 4 way, 30ss each. I gave Titania Pact with the Grave Spirit. Wow. Destroyed Francois in 1 turn. Hit twice with Bloody Command, then Rot Within for 4 damage to finish him off. Then Killed a Thunder Brother from Bloody Command, +1 damage from a nearby scheme marker, then finished off with Rot Within. Last action took another Thunder Brother, who was in Defensive stance, to 1 wound again with Bloody Command and using a scheme marker to boost the damage. Rot Within sounds weak when it caps at 4 damage, 5 against leaders, but remember there's no damage flip. They simply suffer damage equal to damage already suffered to a maximum of 4. So you've got very reliable damage. Her strongest attack before this upgrade is Bloody Command, with a Severe of 4. Auto trigger to place a scheme marker when Rot Within kills the enemy also heals her and lets another model use it.

Also, holy shit make sure you have some terrain on the table if Misaki is running The Storm. Being able to place Blasts within 12" is massive. Our table was super light on terrain and she just annihilated my Changelings and Autumn Knights with repeated blasts.

-Loki- on
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Yeah, having (finally!) played a game, I think I'll be picking up Brotherhood of the Rat. Even though we were ignoring the Rat King stuff, just having more rats seems important.

But yeah, we finally did it! It was confusing and occasionally frustrating but I'm all starry-eyed over the various bits and pieces I've seen so far.

I set up everything in advance, and it was just a 2' by 2' board since I'm in the middle of making a bunch of tiles.

b6wis7zocx9b.jpg

I'm actually really loving Hamelin's kit despite not having played him. The synergies between summoning all the rats and Blighting everything and then nuking Blighted things to make more rats... that's some good stuff! I didn't try to make too much use of the Gremlins' abilities, since I was winning pretty handily off of Schemes, so I can't comment as much on that but I liked the whole charging in and smacking stuff around parts.

d4nrqx0f5lbb.jpg

This is about halfway through the match. I really like the whole Schemes thing, it gives the game a much different feel than just trying to murder each other.

Looking forward to playing another round in two years!

So, mulling over a few things and not feeling like checking rules or FAQs or anything:

1. How do the abilities that list, like, "Ca X / TN Y / Rst Wp" work? My assumption was that the two models duel,and the caster has to beat both the TN and the opposing model (so the TN basically acts like a minimum?).

2. The abilities that are like Ca X[symbol] mean that you add the suit shown to whatever you flip, right? Does a trigger having two of the same symbol mean you need to somehow get two (eg one from the ability and one from the card flipped up?).

3. I'm assuming summoned models can't be activated the same turn they're summoned, otherwise Hamelin summoning a Lost which then becomes two Rats which then each activate is NuTs.

4. I did find a rules blurb saying that if an ability can only be used once per turn it'll say so, so does this mean all the stuff like movement, placing Scheme markers, attacks, etc. can be done multiple times? Or do some have "built in" once-per-turn clauses somewhere in the rules?

• NisiNisi Registered User regular
    1. Yep
    2. Yep as well. And yes you would need two in that case. Leaders and Henchman can stone for a suit as well.
    3. Summoned models can activate the turn they are summoned but may not interact and are slow. Hamelin is notorious for activation control by doing things such as what you're describing, and yes he is nuts. He is currently regarded by the competitive community as being broken overpowered, especially in Gaining Grounds 2017 (The current tournament ruleset).
    4. Yep those can be done multiple times unless otherwise stated.

steam_sig.png
    Surfpossum
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 12
    The only reason people don't run Hamelin more competitively is he's regarded as fairly boring to play against. A lot of people find him boring to actually play as well. I forsee the mid year emergency errata next year fixing him somewhat, once everyone has their Nightmare Hamelin crews from gencon and Black Friday and more people start running him.

It's sort of a gentlemans agreement to not give the opponent an NPE (Negative Play Experience). For new players playing against new players he's fine, but once you start expanding your collection, learning the importance of activation control, and start getting some good beaters like Killjoy or Ashes and Dust, he can be a real headache.

His new upgrades are fairly strong as well - Plague Pits gives you 3 50mm markers you place basically anywhere on the table and spread Blight to models within 3". At the end of the turn you can ditch a card to move one 6". Opponents need to get into base contact and spend an Interact to remove one (thus gaining Blighted in the process). His other upgrade lets two Rats in his LoS drop scheme markers and then sacrifice at the start of the turn.

-Loki- on
    edited September 13
    Nathan Caroland has posted a bunch of screenshots from the official crew builder app they have in development. It's got built in encounter set up to, like Crewfaux. Where it's different, it contains the unit cards, with clickable abilities and clickable wound icons. Doesn't appear to have things like condition tracking, but basically anything that would require the use of cards on the table are covered by it.

Spoilered for lots of images.
    Screenshot_20170912-133926.thumb.png.d08c6820fbd864596ea224831973c8b1.png
    Screenshot_20170912-134028.thumb.png.e1cf745c35f9ae1ed120c4c075237cea.png
    Screenshot_20170912-134036.thumb.png.c1c1cfddd05a27595715a6e9b30b5c16.png
    Screenshot_20170912-134046.thumb.png.b2ad87a97fb893bf230e374091ffaddc.png
    Screenshot_20170912-134101.thumb.png.e0f2e34a0ab80ea77d006c848d741cf2.png
    Screenshot_20170912-135232.thumb.png.6d680f5d2806fa165b46be4d0b841d04.png
    Screenshot_20170912-135249.thumb.png.afb845f08ef0237265b8474185d7f523.png
    Screenshot_20170912-135400.thumb.png.7620f3f1b1e717dc8b008383336a5c11.png
    Screenshot_20170912-135232.thumb.png.5a4a4f1f9fbe7e369f88779334454f37.png

-Loki- on
    NisiSurfpossumJam WarriorForceVoid
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    whats the [price point cause that seems fucking hot.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited September 14
    They haven't talked prices yet. Aaron said the app was in development back in August last year but nothing came of it. People keep asking so Nathan showed the screenshots.

Seems like they're aiming for this year but it's mobile development so... who knows.

-Loki- on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    gotcha, gotcha.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."