As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    All right, first game down.

After a confusing ten minutes trying to figure out why Cast abilities had Ca, Tn and Rst values, we got into it. Lilith starter vs Hired Swords starter.

First up, I flat out did a dumb thing first turn and Transfixing Gazed Viktoria of Ashes into combat with Lilith. I had good intentions! I wanted to lure her into Living Blade range, and I had a Terror Tot there, so it would trigger Pounce, and get two automatic MI attacks against her. Problem was, I rolled pitifully for Liliths Living Blade, and it turned out I misread the Tots engangement range and he wasn't close enough to Pounce! So Lilith got absolutely butchered by Viktoria on her next activation.

I also drew terribly for the whole game. Talked about dice not going your way, this time cards! I basically had to cheat every flip that actually won. I still managed 4 VP's, and I think my brother had 3, but we weren't really counting at the end because it was late and we were just happy we'd learned the game by the end. We were playing Squatters Rights, and I ended two turns with two markers. My Schemes were Protect Territory and Make Them Suffer, which really feel like they aren't geared for Lilith. Protect Territory requires my guys to camp, and Nephilim seem bad at that, and Make them Suffer forces engagements, and the tougher Hired Sword units just outclassed me in melee. Barbaros spent 3 turns wailing on Taelor before bringing her down, and also smacked down a Ronin.

I also forgot some stuff that would have changed the game. I totally forgot about Black Blood, for one. So many wounds taken that would have caused wounds back. I didn't notice the Cherubs Chain Activation skill until it died, and it was in place to take advantage of it several times.

But wow, what a fun game. I was expecting Infinity with swords but got a completely unique game experience. I was initially worried that the 3x3 game area would cause units to just evaporate, the way units do in Infinity, but the combats the unfold due to suit triggers and such made for a really dynamic melee game. So glad I grabbed Dreamer and the Whiskey Golem, with plans to grab Ophelias starter. Definitely a game to play alongside Infinity.

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I got my second game in last night; first game for my brother.

We played 26 pts, I played the Viks, 2 ronin, and Taelor. My brother played Lady J, the Judge, 2 Death Marshals and her totem. No upgrades. We also played pick one scheme.

I know many tactical mistakes were made on both sides and abilities / actions were forgotten, but we had a ton of fun and the game came down to the very end.

The Strat was reckoning, my revealed scheme was A Line In the Sand, his was Bodyguard. Corner deployment.

I sent the ronin to one corner, the Viks to another, and Taelor down the middle. My thought was to start laying scheme markers on each end, with Taelor as floating help.

My brother sent most of his crew toward Viks / lady J, with initially just the judge going to my Ronin. I charged Lady J with both Viks, had some not so great duels, and then she pasted both of them with her great sword the following turn. Ouch! At this point I was feeling not-so-good on my chances ... He scored a VP from the Strat, and I was down to 3 crew left.

However, the ronin were able to get three markers laid down over the next couple turns and tie up judge (and eventually take him down) and a death marshal who came over to help. Taelor was a beast and managed to take out the totem and a death marshall, lay a scheme marker, and keep Lasy J busy. The game went 7 turns; and ended with 4 - 2 victory for me, not something I would have thought from the game state in turn 3, with both Viks dead!

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    @-Loki-‌

Play with 1 Strat and 1 Scheme. I recommend Turf War/ Reckoning and Make Them Suffer/ Protect Territory. Hell even just playing with a strategy and no scheme is a good choice for your first few games. Try to focus on learning the game mechanics and your crew's abilities. Remember Focus and Defensive Stance! (Although Focus is more important, but if your friend is playing with the Vikks and Ronin then Def Stance is useful, too.)

I'm glad you had fun. If you need help with the Dreamer's crew lemme know.

I got my second game in last night; first game for my brother.

We played 26 pts, I played the Viks, 2 ronin, and Taelor. My brother played Lady J, the Judge, 2 Death Marshals and her totem. No upgrades. We also played pick one scheme.

I know many tactical mistakes were made on both sides and abilities / actions were forgotten, but we had a ton of fun and the game came down to the very end.

The Strat was reckoning, my revealed scheme was A Line In the Sand, his was Bodyguard. Corner deployment.

I sent the ronin to one corner, the Viks to another, and Taelor down the middle. My thought was to start laying scheme markers on each end, with Taelor as floating help.

My brother sent most of his crew toward Viks / lady J, with initially just the judge going to my Ronin. I charged Lady J with both Viks, had some not so great duels, and then she pasted both of them with her great sword the following turn. Ouch! At this point I was feeling not-so-good on my chances ... He scored a VP from the Strat, and I was down to 3 crew left.

However, the ronin were able to get three markers laid down over the next couple turns and tie up judge (and eventually take him down) and a death marshal who came over to help. Taelor was a beast and managed to take out the totem and a death marshall, lay a scheme marker, and keep Lasy J busy. The game went 7 turns; and ended with 4 - 2 victory for me, not something I would have thought from the game state in turn 3, with both Viks dead!

Nice! Yeah, this game needs to be played all the way through sometimes, even if it seems like you're getting cooked.

With the Vikks did you remember to Focus and/ or use Soulstones to Suites to their flips, or just add plusses to their flips?

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Through the Breach order finally picked up.
    image6.jpeg

The hardcover is still MIA (will be delivered whenever Wyrd gets them and ships them out), apparently the Female Multi-Pose Miniatures sprues are a bit out of scale (2-3mm too big, from what I'm reading), and while backers at my tier were supposed to get 2 of the Limited Edition "Through the Breach" fate decks, I only got 1, and 1 of the new Arcane decks, which isn't a world ending issue, but is kind of bullshit all the same.

All told, I'm glad I finally have it in hand.

Sadly I'll probably be selling off most of it. Have 11 items listed on a local online marketplace (as noted before, Ebay would involve dealing with paypal and shipping, which I'm not super excited about), probably just end up keeping the TtB deck, the hardcover and one of the MPM sets. Giving the plushie to a friend, hopefully I can recoup some costs with the remainder.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited August 2014
    The Hanging Trees, Santanna, and Lilith's kit were freebies?

At least you have it man.

Edit- Also, from Gencon:

10522373_800686829954570_446568380430113135_o.jpg

No-Quarter on
    Nice! A friend of mine did a killer Lady Justice costume a few years back.

I particularly like the scales of justice hanging from her belt.

As for TtB: Lilith's kit was a freebie, everything else was a stretch goal added during the campaign.

In hindsight, I wish I'd just gotten either the core tier or the Dining Room tier. Would've spent 100-200 less and been vastly less concerned about this all. Oh well, have to see how well my shit sells and what I can recoup.

I'm sure you'll do OK. Are you going to hold onto Lilith? She could be your first M2e Master. I mean you have the cards :)

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The two LE deck thing apparently is happening to everyone who went in at that level. No one is getting two.

Good to know it's not because I've been calling them out on their bullshit for a year now. :-P

But that said, the campaign noted getting two LE decks, so I don't think it should be unreasonable to expect them to send 2 LE decks.

As noted, I won't lose sleep over it, but it's sort of the cherry on the shenanigans that has been this campaign.

edited August 2014
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    @-Loki-‌

Play with 1 Strat and 1 Scheme. I recommend Turf War/ Reckoning and Make Them Suffer/ Protect Territory. Hell even just playing with a strategy and no scheme is a good choice for your first few games. Try to focus on learning the game mechanics and your crew's abilities. Remember Focus and Defensive Stance! (Although Focus is more important, but if your friend is playing with the Vikks and Ronin then Def Stance is useful, too.)

I'm glad you had fun. If you need help with the Dreamer's crew lemme know.

We played with the normal amount of schemes and strategies simply to learn how it works actually generating them. We didn't really concentrate on those (one of mine I think required dropping a scheme token, which I still have no idea how to do).

The main takeaway from the game was we both now know how it actually works, so when I browse the rulebook and see stats and abilities, I can see how they're going to come into play and decide what I want to buy. Teddy is definitely next on my list (which will give me 2 with Miss Ery, and a Dreamer crew... shenanigans will be had).

However, one question now that I've looked into how Black Blood works. It says when a model with the ability takes a wound, all models without the skill in (crow)1 distance take a wound. Why is the (crow) in that? I thought it would just be anyone within 1", but that (crow) is making me think otherwise.

-Loki- on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That symbol isn't the Crow, it's the Aura.

edited August 2014
    Well that certainly makes more sense! Seriously, why the fuck would they print it with a black background and transparent figure in the rulebook, then on cards print it with a transparent background and black figure? Because that makes it look a hell of a lot like the Crow symbol at that tiny scale, and isn't the symbol they printed in the book anyway since it's not the same.

But great to know. So basically anyone within 1" of a model with Black Blood takes 1 wound when said model with Black Blood takes wounds. That would certainly have helped me take down Taelor one turn earlier.

-Loki- on
    Actually, black background with transparent figure is different from transparent background with black figure. The former is an aura, the latter is a pulse. If I recall right, auras are on going (something like "all friendly models in 2" get +1 Df), where pulses are singular events. (I think I'd say auras are passive, pulses are active, if that helps and doesn't just confuse things). Also I bueve that auras affect the source model unless otherwise noted, pulses do not affect the source model unless otherwise noted.

The solid black with the white figure is aura. The black figure with white background is pulse.

Auras are "always on" and pulse are a one time event. Both are limited by Line of Sight and Height.

So anyway, here's what I'll have coming for me by Wednesday from Gencon (a buddy went and picked up):

Crossroads book
    Guild, Resser, and Neverborn Decks
    Scheme Deck
    Lucius' box
    Dreamer Box
    Executioner

then on order from my FLGS
    Guild Riflemen
    Stitched Together Box
    2 Insidious Madnesses

WHEEEE!

With the Vikks did you remember to Focus and/ or use Soulstones to Suites to their flips, or just add plusses to their flips?

I didn't remember to add a suite, or focus. The way it worked out, Vik of Ashes walked and then charged, and Vik of blood charged, so there was no opportunity to focus (that only lasts to end of turn, right?). What is generally the best way to setup focus + melee attacks if you aren't in range of anyone?

As for adding the suite, I think my SS use was the opposite of last game (where I only used one the whole game), and I used them up quickly (as did my brother). On every attack against Lady J he would declare a defensive use, so I felt I needed use one offensively. Plus, Lady J was by herself, so at least the whirlwind trigger didn't seem valuable ... are there other triggers I missed / should have paid attention to?

Finally, what Vik upgrade(s) are considered must-take? We played this game without upgrades, but it'd be good to have any hints for future games.

edited August 2014
    Question time.

Since I'm getting the Whiskey Golem, I decided to do a bit of research into Gremlins and I'm loving them. So I want a Brewmaster crew to hang out with my Golem instead of Opheilia. The Wyrd site doesn't have the box. My FLGS online store says they have it and it's in stock. I can't find a contents listing anywhere.

Is it not out yet, and my FLGS is just being dumb? Because it's irritating. I want to use some drunken ninja gremlins forcing people to drink moonshine.

-Loki- on
    Your FLGS is being dumb. The Brewmaster box isn't even on the release schedule yet.

Aha. So that's why. I know there's a box art for it, which is probably why they threw it on. Claiming they have stock is just odd, they're normally really good.

Looks like I'll have to paint up the Whiskey Golem and just wait then.

I am almost finished assembly my Bayou Boss box, just one Skeeter to go. I also started working on Pandora's box. In the time it took me to assemble one Bayou Gremlin, I was able to put together everything except the Sorrows. It's a nice break :smile:

I didn't remember to add a suite, or focus. The way it worked out, Vik of Ashes walked and then charged, and Vik of blood charged, so there was no opportunity to focus (that only lasts to end of turn, right?). What is generally the best way to setup focus + melee attacks if you aren't in range of anyone?

As for adding the suite, I think my SS use was the opposite of last game (where I only used one the whole game), and I used them up quickly (as did my brother). On every attack against Lady J he would declare a defensive use, so I felt I needed use one offensively. Plus, Lady J was by herself, so at least the whirlwind trigger didn't seem valuable ... are there other triggers I missed / should have paid attention to?

Finally, what Vik upgrade(s) are considered must-take? We played this game without upgrades, but it'd be good to have any hints for future games.

I haven't forgotten this post, I'll address it later today. :)

PS I got my Gencon stuff! (My buddy went to the con) I'll try and take pics of Chompy and Lucius' crews when I get time to put em together. The new book is reeeeeal nice.

Mark of She'zuul may not be necessary for your specific matchups, but the list of abilities it ignores is insane for most games. Synchronized Slaying is basically 2ss for Accomplice, but Accomplice is really good with Dragon's Bite and Flight of the Dragon. Sister's in Spirit also has a really strong ability, though you may not find yourself having the spare AP to use it.

I was reading Zoraidas upgrades again and noticed one has a tiny 2 line extra that says you can always take Swampfiend models.

Does that mean I could buy the Zoraida starter, use that upgrade and just use the stuff from the starter plus Gremlin stuff (like the Whiskey Golem)?

Because that's an awesome way to get that on the table since Brewmaster doesn't have a release date.

Yep.

-Loki- wrote: »
    I was reading Zoraidas upgrades again and noticed one has a tiny 2 line extra that says you can always take Swampfiend models.

Does that mean I could buy the Zoraida starter, use that upgrade and just use the stuff from the starter plus Gremlin stuff (like the Whiskey Golem)?

Because that's an awesome way to get that on the table since Brewmaster doesn't have a release date.

I actually consider Zoraida more of a Gremlin master than a Neverborn one. Bear in mind that if you declare her as a Gremlin, you can only use Gremlin upgrades (her's are dual faction, but Bad Juju's "Eternal Fiend" upgrade is not.) She can also always take models that are Wp4 or lower, which is a bunch of generic Gremlin units plus a ton of other faction's models. Nurses from Ressers (awesome) and Papa Loco from Guild come to mind. I think Zoraida and Marcus are tied for the second largest model pool in the game (Marcus can always take Beasts + all Arcanist stuff) with Leviticus having the largest pool (he can take Undead or Constructs + Outcast stuff).

edited August 2014
    I was talking mostly about 'Tarot Reading' which says she may always take Swampfiend units. Which seems pointless if she's a Neverborn master with that upgrade since Swampfiends are Neverborn.

-Loki- on
    Right. The purpose of that upgrade is to allow her to take her Neverborn models while she's a Gremlin.

And of course when she's Neverborn she can already take a lot of Gremlin models due to her enslaving ability.

-Loki- wrote: »
    I was talking mostly about 'Tarot Reading' which says she may always take Swampfiend units. Which seems pointless if she's a Neverborn master with that upgrade since Swampfiends are Neverborn.

There's also 5 new Swampfiend units in wave 2. 2 for Neverborn (Spawn Mother and Gupps) and 3 in Gremlins (McTavish, Wild Boar, and Bayou Gator).

edited August 2014
    :s

This game is going to kill my wallet. I thought Infinity was bad. The art for that Bayou Gator was amazing. I'm putting Zoraida off because I want to get Lilith, Dreamer and Pandora painted up first. But knowing she has that much access to both lists is great. Maybe I won't have to go with a Gremlin master at all, and just stick to collecting Neverborn masters and their cross faction units. Lucius is very tempting as well.

Using the crew creator, Zoraida as a Gremlin Master, her whole starter and the Whiskey Golem makes a 44ss list, leaving room for the odd upgrade and some extra soul stones in the cache. Probably not the best, but seeing my brothers reaction to Bad Juju and the Whiskey Golem together would be fun.

-Loki- on
    edited August 2014
    My triumph at having successfully assembled a Skeeter without causing any damage was short lived, as I broke an antenna trying to figure out how I would get her to fit on a 30mm base in a playable fashion. The small part is forever lost to carpet, so I decided to shorten her other one to match!

@-Loki-‌ I know what you mean by killing the wallet! Too easy to jump from one thing to the next, with so many cool models! Even things I was not interested in initially piqued my interest once I looked closer at the art, saw the model render, or read the fluff. And with dual faction / merc, it is so easy to justify expanded a crew just a little more.

UreshiiAkuma on
    1 of 2 GenCon orders shipped! (I didn't receive a shipping email, but went to Fedex.com, did Track by Reference, entered the Wyrd order number, and was able to see it shipped Thursday). Expected arrival is Tuesday, so I should be able to finish the last 4 models I have currently in my Wyrd assembly backlog, just in time!

While I hope mine get shipped soon, I really hope they arrive after I finish up my Lilith starter. Just got to finish up Barbaros and the Cherub, then start Lilith herself. Maybe even get the Young and Mature Nephilim done. Give me a couple of weeks, Wyrd.

Still need to finish the base, his boots and gloves, and the head for the platter, but I couldn't resist trying out some blood for the blood god splatters!

QmfRcGc.jpg

Looks badass.

I just put the finishing touches on Barbaros today, as well as the Cherub! Hooray. The Cherubs wings didn't come out too well, but it's one of those things I just won't be able to do well. Not only long, straight lines to highlight, but dozens of smaller lines too. Feathers suck to paint. But that's 5/6 down from my Lilith starter, so tonight or tomorrow I get to start on the mother herself.

OK finally answering this sorry.

It's less about "must take" so much as preference and depending on what you're fighting. That said the 4 biggies I see used are:

Synchronized Slaying- This goes on Ashes for 2 reasons. 1 is for Accomplicing Blood (preferably after Ashes Dragon's Biting you all in there), and the 2nd is for buffing all friendly Sisters before Dragon's Biting into a combat. Friendly sisters thus far are Ashes, Blood, the totem, and Vanessa from Wave 2.

Sister's in Fury- dat + 2 dmg! Put it on Ashes. And then Accomplice Blood after the buff.

Sisters in Spirit- The movement upgrade. Proper placement is huuuuge in this crew. It combos well with the totem also having this ability.

Oath Keeper- This is a generic Outcast upgrade and is soooo much better than it looks. That extra AP can make all the difference when it comes to proper placement, buffs, and extra attacks. The Vikks work best against crews that are bunched up. Use soulstones to ensure you get the Whirlwind trigger and you'll decimate the enemy.

Having just played against a list with two Ronin, two Convict Gunslingers, and the Howling Wolf Tattoo upgrade I have to add that that's also a great pick. Free Flurry and Rapid Fire are ridonkulous.

So many fiddly bits in Lucius' crew!

So many fiddly bits in Lucius' crew!

Did you also post this in A Wyrd Place? DO I KNOW YOUR REAL NAME???

edited August 2014
    Cross post from the art thread.
    I finished up the Cherub and Barbaros today. Almost. They still need Dullcote and blood, but technically they're 'finished'.

641588_sm-.jpg
    641589_sm-.jpg

I now have only Lilith left to finish and I have a fully painted crew. Then I can start on the other Nephilim and hope I get them done before Dreamer arrives.

I really need to stop looking at various crews for this game, because I'm getting a real case of 'I want everything'. I managed to back out of Gremlins since I can run my Whiskey Golem and various Gremlins that I think are cool with Zoraida, but I fear that eventually I'll wind up with some Gremlin crews. However, my mind has now wandered over to Arcanists and I've always liked Beastmaster type characters, and Marcus is really speaking to me. I threw Marcus and the new Hoarecat Pride into the Crew Creator and saw that it comes out at 50ss with upgrades.

I thought Infinity was bad. At least there I've managed to stick to two factions, albeit with immense collections for each faction and an enormous backlog.

This fucking game.

-Loki- on
    I finished up McMourning. Posted a pic in the Painting thread, but here is an alternate angle shot.

1sjY5H8.jpg?1