As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS4] Playstation NOW (Gaikai) is announced and detailed - Beta coming later this month

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    PS4 to PSVita. Like Remote Play except from their servers instead of a personal PS4.

Quote from one of the community reps on that blog post:
    "PS Now will offer PS3 games now but we are considering measures to offer other content in the future (such as PS1, PS2, and PS4 games)."

In other words, perhaps not full-priced gigantic PS4 games to the Vita at first, but I'd potentially rent ResoGun and play that on the Vita with a streaming service. Cause that kind of horizontal shmup is my jam.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    GOW streaming on PSNOW anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X1MFmICQjdY

How about some TLoU streaming on a Vita?

BdZmqn3CYAE-08I.jpg-large.jpe

how about some more information?
    PlayStation Now is a subscription based service, that is going to launch in North America this summer.

It will be available for the PlayStation 4 first and will gradually roll out to VITA and Bravia TVs sometime later.

A beta is going to launch in North America in January.

There is currently no info available about the launch of this service in Europe.

We can either opt for a subscription based service or pay a specific fee per title.

Currently, four game are being offered for this service, which include The Last Of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Puppeteer and God of War: Ascension.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Here's the beta signup for Playstation Now

http://us.playstation.com/playstationnow/

Don't Starve is up for PS4

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the beta sign up link, hopefully someone here gets in.

Saw an article where the Destructoid editor was talking to Sony about the Now tech, and apparently Sony's been testing with Journey multiplayer on PSN by joining in with console players: http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-now-really-works--268582.phtml

nusu on
  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    I signed up and I dont even have a PS4... but the Vita streaming has me droolin.

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    I signed up and I dont even have a PS4... but the Vita streaming has me droolin.
    The whole point of the beta is NOT having a PS4.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Going back to the ps3 to install DMC makes me realize just how terrible this is. Yuck.

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Going back to the ps3 to install DMC makes me realize just how terrible this is. Yuck.

You mean because the store is a slow clunky godawful mess?

Glad the store in PS4 is so much snappier.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »

That, plus it took 15 minutes just to install the game.

All right, gonna try this streaming thing with Don't Starve!

steam_sig.png
  • LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular

Unfortunately that is the Xbone's new gig...

Anyway, I signed up for the beta. Please oh please oh please oh please....

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Tangential, but no MMO i've ever played has had raid content that required you to wipe on it before beating it. Every time any raid I have been in has died to a well designed encounter it was because we didn't execute properly. Even the absolute hardest fights in WoW could've been beaten first try by a group of people playing perfectly and reacting and recognizing what was going on in real time. Just because people aren't perfect and have to see something, take it in, learn from their mistakes, etc. is not bullshit. It just means it was designed to require tight mechanics and execution that's hard to pull off the first try.

If an encounter is designed to where you know what to expect and it doesn't require tight mechanics to pull off then it's not hard, and sometimes people want something that is actually hard.
    Well, except the encounters that were outright broken to begin with (like C'thun or Vashj) or certain gear checks.

But the gameplay and challenge in MMO's is completely different than that of action games like Dark Souls. What The Sauce describes would be nice, but it would be insufficient in MMO's because there is no challenge in the mechanics. Mechanically, WoW is just a really, really simple game (as are almost all MMO's, even something like TERA or GW2.) Its difficulty derived from teamwork and puzzle solving, which is why it involves a lot of trial and error and a lot of dying. If you understood what moves bosses were going to make ahead of time and how to deal with them, it'd be stupidly easy because you're rarely ever tested physically like you are in platformers or action games.

The game in MMO's is learning the rules of a given situation, not doing something spectacular with your character. I think Dark Souls was a combination of the two.

I know I'm way behind on this, but the initial assumption is rubbish. No major raid boss in WoW has ever been downed on the first try - and by first try I mean the first encounter, not a guild trying it based on a report written by someone else who beat it already..

Shit man, that sounds almost as bad as installing any game.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Alright, I'm getting a bit tired of AC 4 and Killzone and want another game for variety on my PS4. Is NFS Rivals good if you rarely play online?

Have you tried warframe?

I want to, but right now I have two big limitations on playing it - one, I'm living with my fiancees parents and they spend their days downloading the entire fucking internet, so I'd get terrible lag. And two, they don't want me eating their ability to download said entire fucking internet by downloading games on my PS4, and since the PS4 lacks the ability to pause downloads, I can't even do what I did on my Vita and sneak in bits and peices of games so they don't notice.

I'm totally getting Warframe when my new house is built though. But for now, I'm looking for another launch game I can physically buy and not rely on shitty internet capability.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    You'd think they could chill out with their torrenting for an hour or two to let you download a game =/.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    My sarcasm on that 4k article was pretty non-existent. I wrote that when I was half asleep.

I haven't seen 4k in person, but I imagine it's pretty amazing. More detail is more detail, but I feel there IS a cutoff where it becomes useless. Megapixels in a camera come to mind. And I'm talking for casual photography, aka "what most real people do." I understand there are going to be exceptions.

Yup. There are a whole lot of factors that go into sharpness and picture quality besides just pixel resolution. That's why for years Panasonic's 720p plasma sets were regarded as having better pictures than other manufacturer's 1080p LCD sets. Native dynamic range & contrast, color reproduction, motion reproduction, and source compression all play a part in how "good" a motion image will look. I'd much rather have a good 1080p set over a mediocre 4k set. I'll also take a less-compressed BluRay at 1080p over the mega-compressed 4k Netflix stream they're rolling out. And don't forget, most non-sitcom, non-reality TV is shot on the Arri Alexa, which is 2k (only slightly more than 1080p), and is generally regarded as one of the best-looking digital cameras on the market today.

@jimb213

Do you work in the film industry? That's not usually knowledge people outside know about.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also worth noting that any 4K content we send over our current cable/sat infrastructure is either going to be compressed to hell and back again, or take the place of nearly 7-8 other channels' bandwidth. Or likely something in the middle, where the final perceived quality is at or slightly above blu ray 1080p, but it takes 3-4 channels worth of current HD bandwidth to accomplish.

There is so much that needs to happen before 4K can become viable, and absolutely nothing beyond movies to actually drive it.

I am not usually a fan of bringing up dismissing returns, but seriously guys... Diminishing returns. 4K for the overwhelming and absolutely dominating majority of consumers is not worth the jump right now, or probably even 3-5 years from now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Getting my first real extended remote play session in tonight. Kicking back on the couch, Adult Swim in the background as I play Madden on my Vita. I love the future!

L2/L3-R2/R3 on the rear touchpad take some getting used to, but other than that it's great. My QB just had the best game of his virtual career. QB rating of like, 140. 70% completion rate, 368 yds passing, 3 TDs and 1 rushing TD :D

The kicker missed two PATs in a row, though... wtf?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Don't Starve....it's really out there but somehow I couldn't stop playing it. Got to Day 8 on my first run, and then sort of dicked around not really doing anything serious for awhile. These kind of quirky games that I would never play or even glance at are the reason PS+ is awesome.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am not usually a fan of bringing up dismissing returns, but seriously guys... Diminishing returns. 4K for the overwhelming and absolutely dominating majority of consumers is not worth the jump right now, or probably even 3-5 years from now.

Someone at CES today, it may have even been a Sony exec, was saying that 4k adoption on a main stream, every day usable level is 5-7 years away. That's someone at the trade show where they're hyping this stuff for this model year of TV sales. And we are still a console generation away from 4k gaming as a thing.

nusu on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    nusu wrote: »

Someone at CES today, it may have even been a Sony exec, was saying that 4k adoption on a main stream, every day usable level is 5-7 years away. That's someone at the trade show where they're hyping this stuff for this model year of TV sales. And we are still a console generation away from 4k gaming as a thing.

They desperately WANT 4K to be a thing, and they are hyping it like nobody's business, because over the past 5-7 years pretty much everyone made the jump to HDTVs that are either 720p or 1080p, and are perfectly happy, as they should be, because that's really all you need in your living room at the moment - there is absolute shit for content beyond those resolutions.

3D kind of flopped and is now a baseline feature in 500-700 dollar TV sets, HFR has not been a consumer darling in theaters (even though I have enjoyed it), and 4K is really all they have left to try and sell people a new TV.

My next TV, which I will be buying in the next month or two, will be a 50-55" 1080p LED set. And that will last me easily through this console generation and probably the next.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Don't Starve does nothing for me, but I half expected that

My body is ready for Tomb Raider and Octodad

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'd have said OLED is the "next thing" to sell TVs. As soon as there's an affordable (sub £2k) OLED TV I'll probably jump on it. I was quite sad to hear Panasonic giving up on the Plasma game, but I'm excited to see what they turn out with OLED.

That'll be what will see me through this console generation.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'd have said OLED is the "next thing" to sell TVs. As soon as there's an affordable (sub £2k) OLED TV I'll probably jump on it. I was quite sad to hear Panasonic giving up on the Plasma game, but I'm excited to see what they turn out with OLED.

That'll be what will see me through this console generation.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/lg-77-inch-curved-oled-tv/

Come on lottery win!!!!

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Shhh... Don't talk... Just watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONodIKe6Zag

Vizio just announced their 4K series of TVs start at 999 for a 50" model. And they're apparently VERY impressive.

Śo here we go. I remember people last year saying it would be 10 years before we had affordable 4K displays....

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna hold off on a 4k anything until there's more stuff for it that actually takes advantage of it.
    I'm sure I'll see one when I'm walking through Sam's Club or wherever

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It's more that it's going to be a while before 4k content is widespread. It certainly sounds like netflix and other people are intent on really getting 4k content out, but we'll have to see. One thing is for certain, and it's relevant because people here are video gamers. You're not getting console games > 1080p for another 5+ years, because we just started this generation.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My internet can barely handle regular netflix and ANYTHING else at the same time. I'm sure that it would absolutely shit itself with 4k content

• bfickybficky Registered User regular
    I'm sure more details will come out closer to the PSNow launch regarding the pricing/subscription model, but if they do go with a model where you can either pay monthly to get access to a bunch of games or pay a la carte to get access to a specific game, I really hope they make it to where if you actually have a PS3 game disc in the PS4, then you get access to that game for free. It sounds like the technology is there for PS4s to recognize PS3 discs, with how they handled the PS3-to-PS4 upgrades for BF4 and AC4. Even if they make this "free-with-disc" option a PS+ perk to offset the streaming cost, I'd be fine with that.

The only wrinkle is how to handle the non-PS4 devices. The streaming to Vita, TVs, tablets, etc., was news to me, and I'm not sure how the 'free-with-disc" option would work with those devices. I wonder if it could still be an option when using a PS4, or if the inclusion of the other devices means they won't even worry about that option at all. Unfortunately, I'm guessing the latter.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    I think the fact that the service is going to be available on so many non-gaming platforms is proof they're not going to allow any sort of "disc to stream" option. They made it clear in the press conference that this isn't a service where you'll buy games, it's a rental or subscription service.

I mean does Sony want you renting Last of Us for 6 bucks for a week or buying one of the thousands of used copies out there where they don't see a penny of the sale?

The service isn't really for people who own a PS3, Vita, and PS4 and buy games for all of them. It's for people who own ONE of those devices and want some additional content.

edited January 2014
    nusu wrote: »

They desperately WANT 4K to be a thing, and they are hyping it like nobody's business, because over the past 5-7 years pretty much everyone made the jump to HDTVs that are either 720p or 1080p, and are perfectly happy, as they should be, because that's really all you need in your living room at the moment - there is absolute shit for content beyond those resolutions.

3D kind of flopped and is now a baseline feature in 500-700 dollar TV sets, HFR has not been a consumer darling in theaters (even though I have enjoyed it), and 4K is really all they have left to try and sell people a new TV.

My next TV, which I will be buying in the next month or two, will be a 50-55" 1080p LED set. And that will last me easily through this console generation and probably the next.

Yeah. Going to HD was a big improvement, IMO. Blu rays are a huge and notable step up from normal DVDs (which were hugely better than VHS...). I just bought a 50" 1080p TV for ~350 bucks during Black Friday (it was an Insignia from Bestbuy, hope I didn't buy some terrible brand!)

1080p HD streaming from amazon looks absolutely gorgeous. It's a big and significant improvement over my 6 year old 32" 720p Phillips that I got from Walmart. If my TV lasts, I can easily see myself being set for another 6 years or so. I doubt I'm going to upgrade the size again.

3D doesn't really appeal to me. Neither does 4k, for what I use my TV for (streaming content and games). I very much doubt I can handle streaming 4k content, and console games aren't going to be 4k for ages.

PC games could be 4k sooner I guess. Wonder if that will be something steam looks into with their steam machines.

I would think the next huge thing would be if VR/oculus rift really took off. That's what I'm looking forward too anyway.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    My sarcasm on that 4k article was pretty non-existent. I wrote that when I was half asleep.

I haven't seen 4k in person, but I imagine it's pretty amazing. More detail is more detail, but I feel there IS a cutoff where it becomes useless. Megapixels in a camera come to mind. And I'm talking for casual photography, aka "what most real people do." I understand there are going to be exceptions.

Yup. There are a whole lot of factors that go into sharpness and picture quality besides just pixel resolution. That's why for years Panasonic's 720p plasma sets were regarded as having better pictures than other manufacturer's 1080p LCD sets. Native dynamic range & contrast, color reproduction, motion reproduction, and source compression all play a part in how "good" a motion image will look. I'd much rather have a good 1080p set over a mediocre 4k set. I'll also take a less-compressed BluRay at 1080p over the mega-compressed 4k Netflix stream they're rolling out. And don't forget, most non-sitcom, non-reality TV is shot on the Arri Alexa, which is 2k (only slightly more than 1080p), and is generally regarded as one of the best-looking digital cameras on the market today.

Yeah. If Netflix is moving to HEVC anyway, I hope they re-encode their existing HD catalog to 12+ Mb 1080p. It still wouldn't really approach Blu-Ray (which is ~40 Mb MPEG-4...so about 20 Mb HEVC), but it would be way better than what they're sending now.

Since most terrestrial cable companies skipped MPEG-4 (AFAIK, the satellite and fiber companies are the only traditional places using it), I'm really hoping they start to jump on HEVC over the rest of this decade. Getting real 1080p into the home would be nice.

a5ehren on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, the service seems to me more "Here's a paid service that has a bunch of our great old games to play" as opposed to "Here's how we're handling backwards compatibility". It was only because the whole Gaikai streaming conversation was sometimes used in response to "Does the PS4 have backwards compatibility?" that people (myself included) started thinking that our PS3 game collection would have a function in the PS4.

I'd love for the "disc to stream" option to be there, but I can't blame Sony at all for not wanting to offer it, as it certainly would change their bottom line. I just bought a WiiU, but I have yet to play a WiiU game because I'm spending all my time playing old Wii games I missed out on (which I all got cheap and/or used). Other than my actual hardware purchases, Nintendo hasn't gotten any money from me yet, even though I'm playing the hell out of their newest console. I can certainly see why Sony would not want to do this and would rather treat PSNow as a souped-up "Virtual Console" model as opposed to a backwards compatibility model.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    I skipped out on the PS3 this (last?) gen, but was planning on picking one up on the cheap to play through my beloved Ratchet and Clank series. If this PSNow service somehow actually, magically, amazingly works as advertised; it will really be (for me) a game-changer.

I was already sold on the PS4 with the dope looking remote play on Vita...but I can't even imagine a future where I can pull up Klonoa Netflix style on a Vita at a moment's notice.

That would be like...whoah. I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but color me stoked.

G%20Rol.jpg
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    If Sony is smart they will tie PSN digital purchases and PS+ cloud saves into Now, when possible. My ideal workflow:

1) Persona 5 releases, I buy it on PSN and download it to my PS3.
    2) I play for a couple hours, upload my save, and hop into bed.
    3) I start up Now on my Vita, or phone, or whatever.
    4) Now recognizes I have a lifetime "rental" or whatever you want to call it of P5.
    5) Now recognizes I have a P5 cloud save, and loads that when I start it up.
    6) I continue more or less where I left off.
    7) Reverse the process when I want to go back to playing on PS3.

I don't know if they'll take this route, but that would be a fairly killer version of ubiquitous access to content that they've been talking about.

The tech certainly sounds cool and a rental service a la Amazon Prime Video or Netflix is neat, but what I really want out of it is Now to make all PSN content platform agnostic (though better when run native, of course).

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    I will be keeping my PS3 for the forseeable future (still need to play bioshock infintie, tomb raider, and uncharted 3 on it. Oh and I guess infamous 1 & 2).

I will say I miss the ability to capture and share video and screenshots from the PS4 already though. IS there any way at all to take screenshots on the PS3 and upload them?

I tried streaming from the PS4 to twitch. It made my viewable screen area much smaller - shrinking the game down and taking up several inches with a gray border showing streaming related information instead. Is there a way to stream full screen, as it were? Maybe toggle between them if necessary?

steam_sig.png
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    I will be keeping my PS3 for the forseeable future (still need to play bioshock infintie, tomb raider, and uncharted 3 on it. Oh and I guess infamous 1 & 2).

I will say I miss the ability to capture and share video and screenshots from the PS4 already though. IS there any way at all to take screenshots on the PS3 and upload them?

I tried streaming from the PS4 to twitch. It made my viewable screen area much smaller - shrinking the game down and taking up several inches with a gray border showing streaming related information instead. Is there a way to stream full screen, as it were? Maybe toggle between them if necessary?

When you start streaming untick the Show comments on screen box, then you will be fullscreen, you can press the share button and turn it on and off at any time while streaming.

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Do you already have Tomb Raider on PS3?

The PS4 enhanced version comes out on the 28th of this month. Granted it'll cost a full $60 compared to the dirt cheap pricetag I'm sure you can find TR for on PS3. It's well worth that $60 though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Do you already have Tomb Raider on PS3?

The PS4 enhanced version comes out on the 28th of this month. Granted it'll cost a full $60 compared to the dirt cheap pricetag I'm sure you can find TR for on PS3. It's well worth that $60 though.

I don't! I was going to get it but I guess I should hold off for Tomb Raider.

What sort of differences does the PS4 enhanced version have?

And Malakius thanks for the info on the streaming thing.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.