As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS4] Playstation NOW (Gaikai) is announced and detailed - Beta coming later this month

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I really wish games would move away from QTEs.
    Is it something really cool that I can do? Let me do it.
    Is it something really cool way beyond my control abilities to do so? Just leave it as a short cinematic.
    I don't want to watch the same cutscene 10 times because I botched a button press

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The setting is just too good to pass up. As long as the QTEs aren't too shitty it'll be fine.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I will still very likely be getting it. I was just bemoaning the continued existence of QTEs in general, you know?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Exactly. QTEs will never be satisfying to me, because I don't understand the point. It's either lazy or pointless to me. If you want to show me something that's not possible for me to with the game's controls, then show me a cutscene. If it's something I can do with the game's controls, let me do it. God of War could easily just let me know it wants me to climb up a boss and stab him in the eye instead of making the fight end with a QTE, or just let me take out his health bar and show me a cutscene if you're hell bent on showing Kratos do flips all over the place.

Especially in a game like the new Tomb Raider, when I start to see a cutscene i'm trying to focus on what's being shown but instead it's like better be ready to hit X or it's game over for Lara, durr.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I'm completely fine with a game that is primarily a mind blowing cinematic experience as long as it is identified as such up front.

Same here, and I don't have a problem with interesting QTEs either.

But by identifying as such up front they're guaranteeing I'll be renting, not buying, their game.

Allforce on
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I suppose I'm in the minority but I enjoy QTE's for the most part. I thought they were fine in God of War 3, but sometimes in Tomb Raider they jerked me out of the action. I mean I could live without them and all, but they don't bother me.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I thought the QTE's in God of War were pretty much fine, I hated the ones in Tomb Raider.

QTE's in the midst of normal game play - basically fine. You're already in 'button mashing mode'.

Sticking QTE's in the middle of cinematics - bad.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    Are you going to remote play your PS4 on your PS4?

If that was possible I suppose I could find a usage case for it, but no. I'm using my Vita a whole lot, so was thinking of remote playing around the house. I'll probably try to sell the other PS4, shouldn't be to hard. I could return it I suppose, but then I'd have to pay for shipping back, in addition to what I paid to have it shipped here.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I think the most obnoxious QTE ever has to be in BF3 campaign; stab a rat. Really, I couldn't just melee that tucker, I had to press a button at the exact specific moment?

• Options
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon has the best random QTE right at the very end.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Tomb raider is the amazon gold deal of the day at $39.99.
    I didn't play it last gen, is it worth it at this price?

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a great game, especially if you like Uncharted.

• Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »

I played the PC version and it was a very good game. I'd say it's arguably the best game on the PS4 right now, so if you have not played it $39.99 is a good deal.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I liked it more than Uncharted from a gameplay standpoint. The gunplay is much tighter.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Downloading Strider!

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Got my PS4 yesterday, sadly it's still in the box and probably will be until tomorrow. I want to play, dammit!

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Downloading Strider!

I'm gonna buy it in a few, looking forward to going to work today to try it out.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »

If this is the definitive edition and you haven't played it yet, I would say absolutely.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    BTW it looks like the Beta for FFXIV:ARR is up as well for predownload for the weekend :)

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    How come Strider isn't listed at all on EU PSN?

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    BTW it looks like the Beta for FFXIV:ARR is up as well for predownload for the weekend :)
    Thanks for this! I am now preloading :B

• Options
    Oh god, please let preloading become a thing on PS4!

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Lets wait and see how R@D implements these QTEs before we start ragging on it lol

And cinematic games are my favorite... I am always more invested in the stories and charaters in those kind of games

Its the timeless battle of gameplay vs presentation i guess

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Disappointed with the order. I have seen nothing to get excited about. Where is the gameplay? Where is this awesone environmental destruction?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Disappointed with the order. I have seen nothing to get excited about. Where is the gameplay? Where is this awesone environmental destruction?

Tune in either April 11th at PAX East or June 10th at E3. I have a feeling we won't see anything until E3, but they may sneak something in at PAX.

nusu on
  • Options
    I wasnt sure about Strider.

Immediately bought the full game after finishing the demo. Because fuck yes!

• Options
    Story is non existant in Strider I guess? Never played a strider game before, but this one's a badass metroidvania.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

Or, you know, Tomb Raider games?

• Options
    nusu wrote: »

Tune in either April 11th at PAX East or June 10th at E3. I have a feeling we won't see anything until E3, but they may sneak something in at PAX.

Meh. I honestly don't feel they should have bothered. I expected a good, solid movie showing exactly how the game played.

Instead I learned it was based on QTEs and cutscenes. Is there a faster way to lose my interest?

Nope.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    nusu wrote: »

Meh. I honestly don't feel they should have bothered. I expected a good, solid movie showing exactly how the game played.

Instead I learned it was based on QTEs and cutscenes. Is there a faster way to lose my interest?

Nope.

Oh no!

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Honestly they should have just released the latest trailer, and allowed the press embargo to be lifted with a few new screens. It's obvious RAD isn't ready to release intense gameplay footage beyond what they did, and choose to release the wrong snippet of it, because now appearantly five seconds of a QTE shot, has turned into them making "The Victorian Age: QTE Edition".

In other news I just picked up some Pulse Elite headsets and OUTLAST. Yea. No thanks. I'll stick to KNACK for the time being.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Crayon wrote: »

I'm sorry. I'm not allowed to make comparisons/recommendations based on very similar and popular games in the genre?

• Options

I'm sorry. I'm not allowed to make comparisons/recommendations based on very similar and popular games in the genre?

Tomb Raider is possibly the first franchise where another game largely nicked its main stuff in Uncharted and then when it got rebooted it then went and robbed Uncharted of the innovations it added to the original in its series.

Which is a good thing, because Tomb Raider was awesome and the way they are talking about a potential sequel makes me so excited (Going back to the open world Metroidvania style idea they had originally).

• Options
    If you ever wished to yourself: "Self I wish that there was a game that as close to 90s arcade as you could get but prettied up?"

Well Strider is for you. This game throws you into the game with no tutorial level or petty explanations. It just wants you to play.

• Options
    If you ever wished to yourself: "Self I wish that there was a game that as close to 90s arcade as you could get but prettied up?"

Well Strider is for you. This game throws you into the game with no tutorial level or petty explanations. It just wants you to play.

And it's Metroidvania right?

Because I am sold right there and then.

• Options
    Yes.

• Options

And it's Metroidvania right?

Because I am sold right there and then.

It's as close as we're ever going to get to Shadow Complex 2.

My only complaint so far is that you can't turn off those huuuuuge stupid subtitles whenever Badguy McRussia makes an announcement over the PA.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

Well, that's certainly a push based on what I said.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Picked up Strider and the Freedom Cry DLC for AC4, and I noticed no sales tax! That's a nice little bonus.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Here's a decent discussion of The Order. He talks about a couple things I hadn't seen mentioned, about how the "QTE" melee combat is more like a David Cage style thing where it's not a binary pass/fail but rather you have multiple choices and even if you don't hit one in time it's not insta failure but it'll play out through multiple chances to get back on track. It could make for a kind of cool cinematic melee thing, and I imagine it'll just be saved for specific fights or something as most of the combat appears to be the third person shooter variety.

We're still so far away from the actual game, but based on the setting, the visuals, and the little gameplay we've seen, I have no reason not to be excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFUFOlml7l0

This discussion has been closed.