As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An[chat] Rome

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    It is interesting how 'privilege' has come to imply 'injustice'.

Which I guess is true in most cases? Like, as a white dude I am privileged in pretty much all my human interactions and mostly because people who are not white or are not dudes have to deal with Bullshit.

And I originally intended to say something like 'health does not recognize your unprivileged status, it just is' but couldn't find a way to word that in a manner that made it agnostic to healthcare because yeah doctors are humans and studies show that I'd get better and more comprehensive treatment even controlling for socioeconomic factors (though you wouldn't want to because, hey, intersectionalism).

So I guess the strongest statement that I can make is that the Tumblr person in question might be dealing with institutions that are sometimes guilty of pathologizing the Other and while her physician's diagnosis of high blood pressure might be an inaccurate one and that inaccuracy might be due to some bias against fat people BUT that one should generally take the advice of medical professionals and there is generally the option to get a second opinion. Making a Tumblr post ain't never resolved someone's prescription medication dilemma.

the bias isn't the... "wrong" kind of bias. Thin privilege? Less chance of cardiovascular problems, or risk of diabetes.

which is why a doctor would be more likely to think someone overweight's blood pressure might be worrying.

argh, fucking tumblr.

Well we can't know the whole situation, but I imagine that there is a nonzero amount of bullshit that fat people have to deal with that thin people don't, and that this bullshit does extend into medical practice. That doesn't speak to the veracity nor the efficacy of this Tumbling, but I don't think it's a controversial statement.

Being fat isn't an immutable characteristic though and bitching about the oppressing privilege of doctors and retailers might be keeping them from recognizing that their weight isn't healthy and they should probably eat less/exercise moar.

True, although there has been some interesting data to come out of the Fat Acceptance \ Health at Any Size movement.

There...there is a movement?
    (must resist walmart scooter joke)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I know the common perception is that the pads in an NFL game make the players safe, but they also facilitate ridiculous tackles that would kill people without them.

Have you tried tackling someone without pads?

It's fun when you are in middle school and the strength to weight ratios are pretty minor

But I played a game of tackle with some high school friends and holy shit you were not making any head on tackles without breaking something

Yes. It hurts.

is legit
    can confirm
    #PostMatchesAv

Its part of the reason I needed shoulder surgery. We did padless tackle ultimate football, which is sort of a mix of ultimate Frisbee and urelenting pain.

Hit a guy head up full steam and popped my shoulder out of the socket.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    On my football team if you were wearing a cup and others realized, you were likely getting a ball thrown at it when you weren't paying attention

townieball

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I wore a jockstrap in Muay Thai but found that I couldn't maneuver for shit while wearing a cup.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Black people are great. I get tons of mileage out of "naive white boy" comedy with my co-workers.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I know the common perception is that the pads in an NFL game make the players safe, but they also facilitate ridiculous tackles that would kill people without them.

It's fun when you are in middle school and the strength to weight ratios are pretty minor

But I played a game of tackle with some high school friends and holy shit you were not making any head on tackles without breaking something

Yes. It hurts.

is legit
    can confirm
    #PostMatchesAv

Its part of the reason I needed shoulder surgery. We did padless tackle ultimate football, which is sort of a mix of ultimate Frisbee and urelenting pain.

I fugged up my shoulder just getting picked on a crossing route in two hand touch

Gotta keep your head on a swivel

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    On my football team if you were wearing a cup and others realized, you were likely getting a ball thrown at it when you weren't paying attention

townieball

is that the name of the game or the medical condition that arises from playing it?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Yes. It hurts.

is legit
    can confirm
    #PostMatchesAv

I fugged up my shoulder just getting picked on a crossing route in two hand touch

TWO THINGS MARYLAND DOES IS CRAB CAKES AND FOOTBALL

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    As a Bad Internet Anthropologist I can tell you that the fat acceptance movement wasn't too bad in its early days - it was stuff like "don't put off goals until you finally have the perfect body, just work on that stuff now and the body can follow' and 'health at every size means that fat people can still go to the gym, should have equipment that can accomodate them, etc.', basically just try to be healthy and work out and eat well and dont worry about the number on the scale.

and the moment the movement went on the rails was when people started to go

right, that's great, i agree with you, fantastic

but why do i have to worry about being healthy

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    baseball is awesome and if you disagree you are wrong the end

Televised baseball is less exciting than televised tennis.

Yeah, I said it.

gotta admit

the one time i went to a football game it was 'aight

still not sold on watching it on TV though

maybe a world cup final, watching the best of the best play can be fun

but ugh 90 minutes

The hardcore soccer fans hate the quality of play in the World Cup and drone on endlessly about how the only stuff worth watching is top-level club stuff.

As an American, woo nationalism, go World Cup, etc.

Well they're just from the wrong countries

brasiiiiiiiil

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I DVR the walking dead so I can similarly skip the 30 minutes of commercials in a 60 minute block

does this include the long driving sequences in hyundais

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Black people are great. I get tons of mileage out of "naive white boy" comedy with my co-workers.

I frequent myway's chat room on Sunday's when they have a get together of folks and I'm the "white guy from Canada".

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i acquired a trimmer so i can be stubbly but not babby or beardy all the time

poo
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Yeah, I said it.

gotta admit

but ugh 90 minutes

The hardcore soccer fans hate the quality of play in the World Cup and drone on endlessly about how the only stuff worth watching is top-level club stuff.

brasiiiiiiiil

I have been dominating with brazil in FIFA 14

So many one named people

So many goals from Hulk

Yes his name is hulk

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The idea of Adrian Peterson playing rugby or lacrosse is glorious

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Noooo Derrick Rose out for rest of season

That sucks
    damn, again? that sucks

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/4XiUg.gif

omg dis likkle platypus

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    hehehehehehehehehe

poo
  • Options
    I'm glad Rose chose the meniscus re-attachment

meniscus removal would have been so bad after he turned 30

this way he at least has a chance to still make a meaningful career

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    As a Bad Internet Anthropologist I can tell you that the fat acceptance movement wasn't too bad in its early days - it was stuff like "don't put off goals until you finally have the perfect body, just work on that stuff now and the body can follow' and 'health at every size means that fat people can still go to the gym, should have equipment that can accomodate them, etc.', basically just try to be healthy and work out and eat well and dont worry about the number on the scale.

The Internet overreaches a premise and ends up in crazytown, and The Internet uses this overreach as justification for dismissing the premise.

In this way, nothing is accomplished forever.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    There is a big difference between treating an overweight person like shit and a doctor telling you your weight will cause health issues. He's not saying you're ugly, that you can't have this retail job, or that you'll never find love cause fatty fat fat. He's saying that you will live longer and be less ill if you make a change.

• Options
    Jim Brown was apparently a beast at lax

my god that would be have been super enjoyable to watch

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

i lived in the DC hood for a while and it was fun being the token white guy for a while.

i remember one time i was drinking with my neighbors on the stoop and a cop literally pulled up alongside and asked me if i was there of my own volition. it was p great.

that said, my current neighborhood doesn't present the same sorts of opportunities. there are loads of white townies in the section 8, loads of portuguese & brazilians, and a few haitians but everyone is pretty clannish, especially with regards to a white hipster/ professional newcomer (only been here 8 years).

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    burn work down

burn down work

poo
  • Options
    jake what kind of tryhard touch football league are you in that draws up pick plays

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    We seem to have lost the formatting option bar?

• Options
    Noooo Derrick Rose out for rest of season

That sucks

Again?

Fuck

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

The Internet overreaches a premise and ends up in crazytown, and The Internet uses this overreach as justification for dismissing the premise.

seems like a natural consequence of the train of thought

ok, so i stop worrying about being fat and just do things anyway

well now i've stopped caring about being fat i should get everyone else to accept me like this too!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    jake what kind of tryhard touch football league are you in that draws up pick plays

look man when your older bro is smothering you with press coverage you need to draw up a rub route to teach that fucker to back off a bit

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

So depressingly true

I have friends who I keep trying to remind that gender equality is a pretty good goal despite what they read on tumblr about how we should have a matriarchy or that penises are evil

override367 on
  • Options

seems like a natural consequence of the train of thought

ok, so i stop worrying about being fat and just do things anyway

well now i've stopped caring about being fat i should get everyone else to accept me like this too!

That's not even what the thought was

are you being silly

it was 'weight is less important than health'

• Options
    I'm wondering if my better half has kinda disconnected from the tumblr social justice rage main line. We haven't had a fight involving topics from there in quite some time. It has been pleasant to watch shows and see movies with reasonable discussion afterward.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    guys

al of u

u dont understand

booty is more important than helth

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    The problem with being overly activisty is that it sort of becomes a joke

like I can't see or hear the word "problematic" without giggling.

Because it's just so goddamned overused.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

i love the internet

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    We seem to have lost the formatting option bar?

weird. it was there just 20 minutes ago or so.

i think it disappeared before and then came back later.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Yeah, I said it.

gotta admit

but ugh 90 minutes

brasiiiiiiiil

I have been dominating with brazil in FIFA 14

So many one named people

So many goals from Hulk

Yes his name is hulk

Nicknames yo

Otherwise they'd all have 4+ names no joke

And Hulk is the besssss

So sexy

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Eddy wrote: »

look man when your older bro is smothering you with press coverage you need to draw up a rub route to teach that fucker to back off a bit

trips formation, run the classic elevator doors double-pick that just hammers the defender as you cut / run a sharp slant in towards the middle of the field

I choose to believe that it's technically "touch" rules only when the ball is in the air and you're the intended receiver

Eddy on
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

i lived in the DC hood for a while and it was fun being the token white guy for a while.

i remember one time i was drinking with my neighbors on the stoop and a cop literally pulled up alongside and asked me if i was there of my own volition. it was p great.

are. you. kidding. me?

i would have been mortified if that had happened to me

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Yes. It hurts.

is legit
    can confirm
    #PostMatchesAv

I played four years of high school ball and managed to play without anything worse than a broken finger. I went roller skating once as a senior and fucked up my knee.

This discussion has been closed.