As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Child of Light] JRPG made by Ubi Montreal. Vita version available on July 2nd.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Have to say that I agree with what you guys have already said. The game looks fantastic and plays really well - it's so fun to just fly around, explore, grab collectibles and discover secret areas. The battle system is really enjoyable and dynamic - play on Hard! It demands your constant attention but I haven't been frustrated by it at all and I've only died once in 3 or so hours of play - and the RPG elements are exactly the type of thing that I love and that could actually have been superfluous in a game like this but keep progression interesting.

Maybe it's not really important what your stats and the bonuses are. Like, maybe it doesn't make a big difference. I can see why someone might be of the opinion that it's all kind of unnecessary and doesn't really give you any real feeling of accomplishment. But I don't care; I love RPGs and I'll take skill trees anywhere I can get 'em.

I do find that, on Hard, the one companion capable of healing (the very first one who joins your party) is kind of a necessary mainstay, because blowing through potions isn't really feasible. I've been cycling guys in and out in my last few battles - it's pretty active and fun.

My only complaint is that the writing is straight-up terrible. It can't be easy to write an entire script in rhyme, but... So few of the lines are clever or have any real meter, and I don't really get why they made the decision to write it this way if - and I'm not trying to be mean or contemptuous - the lead writer is just incapable of stringing together respectable verse. I'm a big fan of poetry, and I was excited for this game's story, but... The writing definitely hurts the game. Every once in a while, there's a good line or two, but I'm disappointed in the script overall. I wouldn't even complain about it - I mean, the game's fun, and the world is stunningly beautiful - but I'm almost miffed that they tried to hype up the poetic aspect in pre-release. It just seems pretentious now to have done that. Oh well.

The game is superb and everyone should play it. I'm in love with the Ubi Art framework and all of the art design and music and I can't wait to play more tomorrow.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity what rhyming scheme does the game use throughout?

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Yohalem mentioned it on an old video. He talked about trying to get the next verse to start with the following letter of the alphabet.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The Wii U version lets you move the firefly partner with the touch screen, in addition to the option to use the right stick and L2.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    The Wii U version lets you move the firefly partner with the touch screen, in addition to the option to use the right stick and L2.

Nif-T. I'll probably get that version, then.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    And now I know which version I'll be buying on payday. Sweet.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    My only complaint is that the writing is straight-up terrible. It can't be easy to write an entire script in rhyme, but... So few of the lines are clever or have any real meter, and I don't really get why they made the decision to write it this way if - and I'm not trying to be mean or contemptuous - the lead writer is just incapable of stringing together respectable verse. I'm a big fan of poetry, and I was excited for this game's story, but... The writing definitely hurts the game. Every once in a while, there's a good line or two, but I'm disappointed in the script overall. I wouldn't even complain about it - I mean, the game's fun, and the world is stunningly beautiful - but I'm almost miffed that they tried to hype up the poetic aspect in pre-release. It just seems pretentious now to have done that. Oh well.
    Thanks - you've just moved this way down my "Need to check this out!" list. I'm okay with functional writing (Bioware, I'm looking at you!), I'm okay with humdrum plots if I find the characters engaging, but unintentional bad writing that draws attention to itself? Bleh.

This is also one of those games where I don't think I've got much of an idea what they're like from reading a review; I'm definitely hoping for a worthwhile video review to check out.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Looking forward to trying this game out tonight. Definitely getting it for the art and gameplay, so I can only hope the writing isn't that bad. We shall see.

Getting the WiiU version, because I'd expect that version to just be better than the PS3 one. It's not at all because I don't want to dig out a non-arcade stick controller for the PS3, no.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Got the WiiU version last night

failed to DL the first time and by the time I got it 100% it was bed time .... looking forward to it tonight!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    had a quick bash at this after it downloaded last night. didn't get terribly far, but was impressed non the less. love the art and the music. the style of the game is just so delightfully charming. might be a few days before i get to really play it, but i certainly look forward to it.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It depends on how the game scales its difficulties. With a lot of RPG hard does just mean grind more. What does Child of Light specifically change based on its difficulty? I doubt it would address Gies issues with the game, which is that it lacked complexity.

Besides enemies being more powerful in Hard mode, there are light vases in combat that give you firefly meter in Hard mode, but also give you HP & MP restoration in Normal mode.

Practically speaking, Hard mode means that you actually have to take advantage of frequent party swapping, item use, and interrupts to succeed, whereas in Normal mode, you can do pretty much anything and win.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity what rhyming scheme does the game use throughout?
    It changes a lot. Usually, it's ABCB. Sometimes, it's couplets. I really like the idea of it, I just... find it awkward.
    Thirith wrote: »
    Thanks - you've just moved this way down my "Need to check this out!" list.
    Everything else is super-good, though! I don't want to dissuade anyone from checking it out - it's a lot of fun to play and it's so unique in its presentation. But that's your call. The combat and non-combat portions of gameplay are both so fun - and so worth playing - that I actually woke up this morning feeling guilty about how negative I was last night about the writing. But I feel like it needed to be said.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    It makes me sad I can't hear music from the Apple garden,
    But I love the game and I've only just started!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It depends on how the game scales its difficulties. With a lot of RPG hard does just mean grind more. What does Child of Light specifically change based on its difficulty? I doubt it would address Gies issues with the game, which is that it lacked complexity.

Besides enemies being more powerful in Hard mode, there are light vases in combat that give you firefly meter in Hard mode, but also give you HP & MP restoration in Normal mode.

Practically speaking, Hard mode means that you actually have to take advantage of frequent party swapping, item use, and interrupts to succeed, whereas in Normal mode, you can do pretty much anything and win.

Personally, as someone who has played a lot of RPGs I know I've had to break myself out of defaulting to Normal. But I'm so used to the days where picking a difficulty wasn't optional.

That said I know there are sometimes I still play on normal because I just want to beat the game without to many problems.

• Options
    Makes me want a special edition. Stealing the picture from GAF:

CdJ.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I completely agree that difficulty levels need a blurb. It can be very brief, it doesn't have to break down the game mechanics. Just a simple statement of intent.

Examples: Mass Effect 3 had "story mode". It was made clear that it was a gameplay-light mode for people who just wanted to see the plot. That's cool, I don't like overly difficult games but I do not want to skip any gameplay. With one sentence BW had clued me in that I, normally an ez-mode player, was not going to want the easy mode here.

Conversely, the last couple Saints Row games billed their easy mode as "playing at your own pace". That's great, a simple statement that lets me know it's easy, slower paced, but not actually lopping out chunks of gameplay where the difficulty couldn't be scaled.

I'm sure something can be done for the top end difficulty levels as well. "This is for people who are really good at shooters" or "This difficulty designed for people who hate fun and enjoy spending more time on the dead/re-loading screens than they do playing."

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It's not horribly uncommon these days for difficulty blurbs. The most common would definitely be "for people new to the genre, for experienced players, for people who are complete masochists/perfectionists and want to be slaughtered horribly" or so.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Enjoy the story vs Looking for a challenge

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Now I have to find out why the PC version doesn't have sound so I can play it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think the idea of the "normal" difficulty is very interesting in games.

If you keep it labeled as normal people complain about the game's ease.

But if you were to re-label it to easy and make that the new default, people would still default to normal and then some would end up frustrated by the difficulty.

So many psychological aspects tied to that one little screen.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So...

Which difficulty SHOULD I play? I'm not super hardcore on these games, but I'm not a dummy either.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Now I have to find out why the PC version doesn't have sound so I can play it.

Yeah, you need to fix that, because the sound is gorgeous. As is the art. And the gameplay is fun. I think I love this game, and I just met the caster ally.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So...

Which difficulty SHOULD I play? I'm not super hardcore on these games, but I'm not a dummy either.

You can change difficulty mid-game so I'd say pick Hard and if you find it too difficult, switch down.

• Options
    I'll make some changes to OP later.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think the idea of the "normal" difficulty is very interesting in games.

If you keep it labeled as normal people complain about the game's ease.

But if you were to re-label it to easy and make that the new default, people would still default to normal and then some would end up frustrated by the difficulty.

So many psychological aspects tied to that one little screen.

It's a throwback to earlier games where playing on an easy difficulty would give you a bad ending, prevent you from even getting an ending, or even in some cases not let you play through the later levels at all (Hello, Golden Axe).

Even now in rpg type games it's typical for harder difficulties to offer unique items that can't be found in easier difficulties.

All this leads to people feeling punished for not playing hardcore/insane/expert w/e modes.

Personally I don't give a fuck, I'll mod in all the shit you tried to hold back from me as I see fit.

After actually getting 1,000 crouched kills in BL2 to unlock the dhal tiger stripe skin I permanently broke the part of my brain that made me feel bad about cheating and modding.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Downloading. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    I would love to know how this plays and looks on a Vita with Remote Play.
    Those colors looks like they were made for the OLED screen.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I don't find the writing that terrible most of the time. But maybe that's because I have 0 knowledge of poetry (forgot what little I learned of it in highschool) and I just go 'oh, words that rhyme, neat!'

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I don't find the writing that terrible most of the time. But maybe that's because I have 0 knowledge of poetry (forgot what little I learned of it in highschool) and I just go 'oh, words that rhyme, neat!'

There's rhyming and then there's meter. I gather that the text in this (I've yet to pick it up, not sure when I'll get to it, as I've been working on my backlog some) is not in meter, which would have been very impressive. For an example of what something sounds like when it rhymes and adheres to meter, Dr. Seuss is good (his books are written entirely in meter).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »

There's rhyming and then there's meter. I gather that the text in this (I've yet to pick it up, not sure when I'll get to it, as I've been working on my backlog some) is not in meter, which would have been very impressive. For an example of what something sounds like when it rhymes and adheres to meter, Dr. Seuss is good (his books are written entirely in meter).

Yeah, the scansion is all over the place, but it still works well, I think. Especially when you meet your first party member.

• Options
    Man, this game is so fun and people complaining about difficulty should try hard. it isn't super punishing but you need to use your tools more efficiently.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    This game is beautiful

easily the prettiest I've played (narrowly beating Okami)

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    The music in Capilli village sounds so much like a Coeur de Pirate song I expect her to start singing at any moment.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    This game is beautiful

easily the prettiest I've played (narrowly beating Okami)

Yeah, this game is super pretty.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Hard mode has really been the perfect challenge for me so far. I'm concerned that there might not be a "happy medium" if Normal mode is really too easy, though. I at least recommend people to try Hard and just switch it down if you think it's too rough.

The game certainly is as beautiful as I was expecting. I can see why some people might complain about the writing, but it hasn't bothered me yet. The characters still manage to be charming despite it.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Someone in Ubisoft Montreal must really have some pull in the company if they're given enough leeway to make games like Child of Light and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon that would otherwise be seen by a big publisher like this as too niche.

Not that I'm complaining. Both games are freaking brilliant.

• Options
    Download got stuck at 48%. :/

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Man, I need that multi-hit Slash. I need me some AOE moves.