As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Child of Light] JRPG made by Ubi Montreal. Vita version available on July 2nd.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Played this for many more hours today/tonight and have to say that the entire thing has only grown on me more. The art and music are fantastic throughout - I think I'm getting close to the end of the story, or at least, most of the way there, and I have 80% of the trophies. The combat is challenging on Hard at times, but the characters are actually starting to feel really powerful because of everything that they can do and the mid-battle swapping, which, at times, can happen as often as once per turn. Really keeps it fresh.

I don't know. I was hyped for this, and then I was mildly disappointed with the writing, and now I'm just in love with everything (and kind of ignoring the script, which... has kind of improved. Definitely has some good lines - either I just got used to it, or it turned a corner of sorts about halfway through).

It's a really unique experience. It's not an indie game, but it makes me excited for what's in the pipeline for PS4. Hope to finish it tomorrow.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Someone in Ubisoft Montreal must really have some pull in the company if they're given enough leeway to make games like Child of Light and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon that would otherwise be seen by a big publisher like this as too niche.

Not that I'm complaining. Both games are freaking brilliant.

They are in Montreal. If they get sick of making Assassin's Creed or Far Cry they could easily jump to another company in the area. That's one of the reasons they allowed the team to make those games.

No mentions of that game Valiant Hearts so far. I wonder what's up with that game.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    This game is just.... beautiful. And so far pretty rewarding on Hard.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Someone in Ubisoft Montreal must really have some pull in the company if they're given enough leeway to make games like Child of Light and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon that would otherwise be seen by a big publisher like this as too niche.

Not that I'm complaining. Both games are freaking brilliant.

They are in Montreal. If they get sick of making Assassin's Creed or Far Cry they could easily jump to another company in the area. That's one of the reasons they allowed the team to make those games.

No mentions of that game Valiant Hearts so far. I wonder what's up with that game.

yeah, when the people who've helped make Assassin's Creed and Far Cry what it is today tell you they want to do something smaller/different, you damn well let them. between Blood Dragon, Child of Light and the up coming Valiant Hearts, I think we're going to see more of these smaller, quirkier titles coming from Ubisoft and that is something to be excited about.

as for Valiant Hearts, I imagine we'll start to hear more now that Child of Light is out. I'm sure Ubisoft knew that CoL would be out first and didn't want to overshadow it with talk of a game that wouldn't release till later in the year. hopefully we'll hear something at E3 and more thereafter.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    This game is just.... beautiful. And so far pretty rewarding on Hard.

And dat soundtrack

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    I really liked the music in the hydra fight.

Also I just picked up
    Aurora's sister
    and her abilities seem like they're really powerful, considering how the game handles the action bar.

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Downloaded this yesterday, and I have to say I fell in love with it as soon as I got my wings. Such a lovely game, beautiful art, haunting music, interesting characters and lots of depth to the systems. Love it love it love it.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Finally got to fire up the game.

There is DLC. I think the Golem pack containts an extra party member.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Golem pack was a pre-order bonus through PSN, I believe. I forgot to pre-order so I ended up just shelling out for it before firing up the game for the first time, not wanting to miss out on any content. The character is super powerful in some areas as a tanky physical dmg-dealer but his strengths are covered elsewhere so he's not essential.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Joystiq is streaming the game along Jeffrey Yohalem and he is giving away codes: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/01/joystiq-streams-child-of-light-creators-talk-rpgs-and-give-away/

Got to play the game for a while. The battle system is not exactly like Grandia II.

I wish there regular and critical attacks. Seems everything can interrupt you.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited May 2014
    They just named dropped Grandia in the stream.

Grandia II represent! :P

EDIT: For the people on the Xbox remember that Dust: An Elysean Tail is available for free for gold members.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't know how much I like this rhyming gimmick they got going on. I'd probably like it a lot better if they were consistent and stuck to a constant meter. As it is, they keep jumping around randomly and it's making the dialog really janky at times.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Joystiq is streaming the game along Jeffrey Yohalem and he is giving away codes: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/01/joystiq-streams-child-of-light-creators-talk-rpgs-and-give-away/

Got to play the game for a while. The battle system is not exactly like Grandia II.

Do you mean Critical Hits? Because I've gotten a few of those so far.

Also, you get a character later on, who can cast a buff that prevents interruption for a few turns. It's pretty useful.

• Options
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    I really liked the music in the hydra fight.

Also I just picked up
    Aurora's sister
    and her abilities seem like they're really powerful, considering how the game handles the action bar.

She's a turtle. Her attack stats are abysmal but she has more defense and speed than anything in the game. She's a pretty damn powerful buffer/debuffer.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Also, you get a character later on, who can cast a buff that prevents interruption for a few turns. It's pretty useful.

No, Critical attacks like in Grandia. I'm rusty but a normal attack did 2 hits, a critical just one but it interrupted an enemy's action.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Downloading now. Can't wait!

• Options
    Got to play a little more today. I wish there was a bigger variety of attack moves.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

No, Critical attacks like in Grandia. I'm rusty but a normal attack did 2 hits, a critical just one but it interrupted an enemy's action.

It was combo and critical. Combo was 2-4 hits depending on the character and did more damage. Critical was a weaker, single attack that would interrupt an enemy if they were in the action zone. Certain skills could also interrupt.

As much as I love that they are using the ATB, it's not at Grandia's level where you could position several of your group members to deliver a serious beatdown if you planned things out right. I get close a few times by using Igniculus to slow one enemy down and then just cycle interrupts for a few turns.
    Got to play a little more today. I wish there was a bigger variety of attack moves.

I just got another group member who looks like he has several different attacks. Aurora herself has several if you spec her that way. Unfortunately, for the most part, it looks like if you want more variety you have to hunt the skills down in the skill tree.

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Well, the game might run at higher resolution on PC and recent consoles.

According to the back of the deluxe edition, which I have sat here on my sofa:

Bmk1lwxIgAAHmQ0.jpg

and on the back (don't know if you can see on this) it shows that:

I061nkg.jpg

720p for PS3 and 720p-1080p on PS4.

Which caused me to finally order one:

MPNO7on.png

Expensive game this!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Are you sure you want to be playing that game? It has the "fear" rating and a silhouette of a nope on it!

• Options
    Arachnophobia listed? Hahaha.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Guys, I want to pick this up but I'm currently neck deep in Dark Souls 2. If the coop is good I'll pick it up now for me and my SO. How's the local coop on this? Anyone given it a shot yet?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I am so bad at RPGs but I want this. Mostly so more games like this happen.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Guys, I want to pick this up but I'm currently neck deep in Dark Souls 2. If the coop is good I'll pick it up now for me and my SO. How's the local coop on this? Anyone given it a shot yet?

Outside of combat, coop would be what I guess you would dub "kid brother mode". The fairy can pick up orbs, open special chests, and stun enemies on the field. It's nothing that can actively screw over the main player, but it's also not anything that isn't done with the right stick. It's being involved without really being involved.

In battle though, the fairy can slow down an enemy's turn. And you could probably pull off some high skill stuff. There's been some moments where I might have been able to rapidly jump between two foes and stun them just enough to squeak in a free hit, but I lack the overall dexterity to do that on my right thumb while also paying attention to stuff with the left stick. Having another brain dedicated solely to that function could probably lead to a lot of fights where you just utterly school the other side.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

It's not that hard. Great for beginners.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

It's not that hard. Great for beginners.
    On hard it seems like your generic enemies are actually a threat initially. I did pretty much cruise through at first, but then I got splattered in like 2 turns by these headless statues. When things turn against you it seems like they can turn quickly.

• Options
    Use items in boss fights.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MetalMagus wrote: »

It was combo and critical. Combo was 2-4 hits depending on the character and did more damage. Critical was a weaker, single attack that would interrupt an enemy if they were in the action zone. Certain skills could also interrupt.

As much as I love that they are using the ATB, it's not at Grandia's level where you could position several of your group members to deliver a serious beatdown if you planned things out right. I get close a few times by using Igniculus to slow one enemy down and then just cycle interrupts for a few turns.

Yeah, there were accessories in II like Demon's Tears that added an extra hit to the combo attack. That allowed to slow down enemies a little bit too.

The world needs another Grandia.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Good to play a little more. Looks good but it's kinda boring.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    NeoGAF has been getting creative: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806118&page=31
    It certainly looks the part;
    they managed to imbue
    this little gem with better art
    than Saga Frontier 2.

The music waxes prettily
    and fully compliments
    the atmosphere, but shittily
    you rarely get a sense

of a living world of fairytale;
    it's all a little thin,
    An RPG of modest scale
    and too much saccharine.

Finally, the rhyming script
    is mostly pretty lame.
    A lovely bird whose wings are clipped,
    it fails to soar. A shame.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm enjoying it, but there's something really lacking. The script/rhyming is absolutely dire and due to that I'm not interested at all in any of the characters.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Man, you try to have your world living when the sun and the moon were taken out of the sky by evil baddies.

That aside, the rhyming script was... different, I'll give it that. Unfortunately the language used in the rhyming is too simplistic to work with it very well, so it does come across as flat.

But I really think the simplistic dialogue and story are indicative of a game meant for a younger audience - and it just happens to be older people playing it. Though that's just my interpretation.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    But I really think the simplistic dialogue and story are indicative of a game meant for a younger audience - and it just happens to be older people playing it. Though that's just my interpretation.

It has a bit of an identity crisis. Like it seems like it's geared towards children, but the dialogue is harder to follow than most RPGs and the game is almost entirely about turn-based combat.

With that said, I am really enjoying the game. Almost done with it, I think (just got what I think is the last ally).

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Rainbow, would you say it was overhyped?

A lot of people in the web talk about it like it was their first RPG.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Rainbow, would you say it was overhyped?

A lot of people in the web talk about it like it was their first RPG.

I wouldn't say it's overhyped. Currently, it's sitting at 82 on Metacritic which translates into good solid RPG which it definitely is. It's not without its flaws, but it's definitely worth playing IMO.

I think the main thing about Child of Light is that there have been very few cheap digital-only Japanese-style turn-based RPGs that are worth playing so it really stands out.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So I checked this out with my friend yesterday and I'm having a hard time reconciling people's opinions on the script and rhyming with what I saw. Possibly the point that some people are missing is that Child of Light is pretty much an interactive Fairy Tale. The rhyming, script, and whimsical nature of the game all fit that mold. As does the art design and music. Now we only got to a little past where you get your first party member, so maybe things take a turn for the worse further in, but on the whole what I saw fit together very well.

• Options
    I don't think people have problems with the fact that they made the script rhyme, just that they didn't do a great job of it. As someone with small children & a lot of books, the rhyming really doesn't stand up to a decent children's book.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    picked this up on xbone and played about an hour last night

the art is amazing and the score is too. also the flying controls feel solid.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith