Options

About the Penny Arcade Job Posting

• Options
    OverloadedOverloaded Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    @Overloaded

Maybe you should let the people applying for the job decide how much of their work should be recompensed monetarily and how much should be recompensed by loving what they do.

?

Am I trying to stop anyone from applying?

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    The website setup sounds exactly like the setup at my old job.

Right down to using Rackspace. That's pretty rad.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    @Overloaded

Maybe you should let the people applying for the job decide how much of their work should be recompensed monetarily and how much should be recompensed by loving what they do.

Everyday at work, Mike and Jerry come in and have a money fight in front of the peons. All the loose bills on the floor are collected by golden robots and placed in a diamond incinerator, covered in expensive champagne, and lit on fire by the laser weapon stored on their moonbase.

Then they spin a wheel to see which employee gets to eat lunch that day.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Overloaded wrote: »
    @Overloaded

?

Am I trying to stop anyone from applying?
    You were implying that you know what a reasonable remuneration package should look like, when it fact it will look different for everyone.

It is almost as if this thing called negotiation is not a thing where you are from.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Do you guys at Penny Arcade have a guy who can draw funny faces

because if not, have I got the guy for y-

oh you do.

oh, he's pretty good, too

well, consider my offer retracted

• Options
    You were implying that you know what a reasonable remuneration package should look like, when it fact it will look different for everyone.

It is almost as if this thing called negotiation is not a thing where you are from.

Kenneth says he's leaving because he can't save enough to live comfortably on a teacher's salary. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that they're not currently paying a reasonable wage for the job, considering that this is basically a CTO position with no staff. Also that negotiation will only get you so far, since I assume he at least mentioned that he would like to make a little more money before tendering his resignation.

If this job sounds awesome to you, by all means, go ahead and apply for it. I'm just questioning a couple of the statements made in the original post.

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wait, there are jobs where you can put 40 hours in for the week and then go home and forget about it?

Yes, they're called "paid by the hour" and "retail work"

I understand the idea of work/life balance, but it implies that work and "life" are separate things. Often they are the same thing, even if you'd rather they weren't. Any salaried position (and even a lot of hourly ones) is going to have days/weeks/months where they need more than 40 hours. Jobs will require things of you. Jobs will require you to go above and beyond what a regular day is. And you do those things. You do them because if you can't (or more likely won't) somebody else has to. You do them because you're part of a team and they need you. You do them because that's part of being a professional.

For reference I'm an engineer. Most days I work 9-6 in an office. Some days I stay till 10, only to come in at 7 the next day. Sometimes I come in Saturdays. Sometimes I work outside, other times underground. I once spent the whole month of November working on a barge in the Hudson River. I once spent a night with 4 co-workers inspecting an air duct with a vertical clearance of 5'-3". It's no always like this, but when it is it's hard, demanding, draining, and sometimes risky work. But that stops matter when you like what you do.

Best of luck in your teaching endeavors Kenneth. Any particular subject you're planning for?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm just questioning a couple of the statements made in the original post.

IBTYM you started this off by diagnosing a depression you weren't there to see through the internet and then making a declarative statement that the job was awful and no one over 30 would ever apply for it because it's objectively awful to anyone not in their 20's somehow, then sure, that's what you were doing.

• Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    Penny Arcade has one of the most amazing pools of talent in the world they can draw from.
    Penny Arcade is a business that's based around a website.
    Penny Arcade could be competitive and find the most amazing person who enjoys varied tasks who can turn the managed web side of this into a masterpiece. But that person isn't going to get out of bed for less than 140k in Redmond, WA.
    I just hope they're going to be competitive enough to get someone who can show them what's possible when you get someone well versed in tech. It's hard to find those people at a young enough period to buy into the description. If 24/7 oncall wasn't on there and it said on call as needed that would make a big difference in perception.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »

oh you do.

They might need a nug selector. Someone to pick out only the best nugz.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »

oh you do.

They might need a nug selector. Someone to pick out only the best nugz.

i would be so good at that

• Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular

Kenneth says he's leaving because he can't save enough to live comfortably on a teacher's salary. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that they're not currently paying a reasonable wage for the job, considering that this is basically a CTO position with no staff. Also that negotiation will only get you so far, since I assume he at least mentioned that he would like to make a little more money before tendering his resignation.

If this job sounds awesome to you, by all means, go ahead and apply for it. I'm just questioning a couple of the statements made in the original post.

I think the problem is that most teachers can't live on a teacher's salary, not the PA salary, at that point. (Especially in Seattle, where rent is so damn expensive).

Since Ken is close to the same age as me (I turn 29 in March)...you would probably need to work 8+ years at over 130k out here to save enough money to try to teach reasonably in the Seattle area. I'm a fairly high level engineer at Boeing, so I make good money (hell, ridiculous money for where I grew up), but even adding in the fact I split a house 5 ways on top of it, I'd still need to do that for 8 more years before I could go into teaching and be OK (that would be maintaining the current lifestyle as well).

Heaven help me if I ever get married & have kids - even more expenses (Day Care out here is 1200 a month per kid <faint>)

Ken, you better still be Enforcing next year. :)

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    IBTYM you started this off by diagnosing a depression you weren't there to see through the internet and then making a declarative statement that the job was awful and no one over 30 would ever apply for it because it's objectively awful to anyone not in their 20's somehow, then sure, that's what you were doing.

No, I asked the OP *why* he thought his depression was unrelated to the job. Then I said I found the line about "not taking advantage of starry-eyed 20-somethings" dubious, as I don't personally know anyone over 30 who would consider taking this job.

Reading comprehension D-

See me after class.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Stop being a dick.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Makes me wish PA had accounting jobs open.

Or an in-house attorney.

wait, no, I probably don't wish they needed that

• Options
    courtneyj wrote: »
    Penny Arcade has one of the most amazing pools of talent in the world they can draw from.
    Penny Arcade could be competitive and find the most amazing person who enjoys varied tasks who can turn the managed web side of this into a masterpiece. But that person isn't going to get out of bed for less than 140k in Redmond, WA.
    I just hope they're going to be competitive enough to get someone who can show them what's possible when you get someone well versed in tech. It's hard to find those people at a young enough period to buy into the description. If 24/7 oncall wasn't on there and it said on call as needed that would make a big difference in perception.

This! By refusing to pay a competitive wage, they're limiting their talent pool severely. I'm sure they could find a PA superfan currently working at Microsoft who would love to get out of a corporate environment, would be happy to take a pay cut as long as it wasn't ridiculous, and would be a great fit with their existing culture.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

No, I asked the OP *why* he thought his depression was unrelated to the job. Then I said I found the line about "not taking advantage of starry-eyed 20-somethings" dubious, as I don't personally know anyone over 30 who would consider taking this job.

Reading comprehension D-

See me after class.

shut the fuck up or at least be clever

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    @Overloaded

Everyday at work, Mike and Jerry come in and have a money fight in front of the peons. All the loose bills on the floor are collected by golden robots and placed in a diamond incinerator, covered in expensive champagne, and lit on fire by the laser weapon stored on their moonbase.

Then they spin a wheel to see which employee gets to eat lunch that day.

the Gilderoy machine from Rainslick Ep. 2 is actually based on the real-life device in the PA office used to dispose of interns.

• Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    ITT: People learn that whats shown on the pa tv show is not exactly the whole story. People are now upset about that.

<ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options

Kenneth says he's leaving because he can't save enough to live comfortably on a teacher's salary. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that they're not currently paying a reasonable wage for the job, considering that this is basically a CTO position with no staff.

I'm more concerned that someone who wants to go into teaching feels he can only do so if he has savings to live off of. That to me is a much larger problem then how much the Penny Arcade IT person is paid.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    No, I asked the OP *why* he thought his depression was unrelated to the job.

In the biz we call this a loaded question. Fair enough if you did not intend it as such, but it certainly came across that way.

• Options
    ITT: People learn that whats shown on the pa tv show is not exactly the whole story. People are now upset about that.

That anyone would think that is beyond foolish.

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    I'm mostly curious which of the job titles are being used when determining that the job pays "below market value"? Is it a combined value based on the multiple skill/experience areas required for the position? Does the baseline pay comparison take into account the travel percentage and on-call time?

I ask because it kind of reads like it's "below market value for an average on-site developer", which generally means 40 hours with possible off-hours work, some on-call availability, and limited travel. If it was me applying for the job, I'd want that distinction to be made pretty early on in the process.

But, then again, maybe I just really like hiking.

• Options

This! By refusing to pay a competitive wage, they're limiting their talent pool severely. I'm sure they could find a PA superfan currently working at Microsoft who would love to get out of a corporate environment, would be happy to take a pay cut as long as it wasn't ridiculous, and would be a great fit with their existing culture.

One could even infer that they have limited their talent pool to precisely fit the profile of person they are looking for!

• Options
    kroysemajkroysemaj Registered User new member
    Hey Kenneth, I have a tech related question: I thought the main PA site was in Ruby on Rails. I remember Gabe mentioning that when they switched from Caoine's design several years ago. Is it still a Ruby site or is it now run entirely on PHP Expression Engine? I tried reaching out on twitter but Kenneth seems pretty private there. I'm just curious as a web developer. I'd also be curious that if they switched technologies from Ruby to PHP, if he oversaw that and why they made that decision.

Inquiring mind(s).

• Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    If the site does still have a lot of PHP squirreled into it whomever takes this job should be given 25k in hazard pay upfront.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Maybe a family member died or some shit. Why can't you take his word for it?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    If they were hiring someone to help with their public image with minority groups, I'd be chomping at the opportunity.

I spent enough time on the PA servers to necessitate an automatic thank you to anyone that handled IT for it. So thanks, guy, for working at PA as long as you have. I'm glad you're spending time acknowledging you r own limitations, and making self care a priority. <3

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

He should at least be able to do some troubleshooting via remote access during the viewing at the funeral parlor.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    kroysemaj wrote: »
    Hey Kenneth, I have a tech related question: I thought the main PA site was in Ruby on Rails. I remember Gabe mentioning that when they switched from Caoine's design several years ago. Is it still a Ruby site or is it now run entirely on PHP Expression Engine? I tried reaching out on twitter but Kenneth seems pretty private there. I'm just curious as a web developer. I'd also be curious that if they switched technologies from Ruby to PHP, if he oversaw that and why they made that decision.

Inquiring mind(s).

3 or 4 years ago, Alphamonkey (the tech guy previous to kenneth) wrote:
    The software that powers the website is the "Webcomic Archive and News Generator" (WANG) is written in Python using the Django framework served on mod_wsgi and talks to PostgreSQL and memcached backends. I'd be more than willing to answer follow up questions on any of these, but this post is already getting pretty long.

[...]

The reader's digest version of the story is we formed a group to make the WANG PHP app. The group fizzled and we decided to write the application in Rails instead. One of the developers of the Rails app didn't want the code to be released publicly so the project stayed dormant.
    Since then, I've rewritten WANG twice in Django. I figured with all of the Django blog apps and ComicPress out there, people wouldn't be interested in our code. If people are, I can spend some time to debreed WANG of all the PA junk and release it.

I think it probably switch to PHP around the same time that the site moved off of the dedicated hardware to rackspace. It sounds like at some point previous they were running rails.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    End wrote: »
    kroysemaj wrote: »

Inquiring mind(s).

3 or 4 years ago, Alphamonkey wrote:
    The software that powers the website is the "Webcomic Archive and News Generator" (WANG) is written in Python using the Django framework served on mod_wsgi and talks to PostgreSQL and memcached backends. I'd be more than willing to answer follow up questions on any of these, but this post is already getting pretty long.

[...]

The reader's digest version of the story is we formed a group to make the WANG PHP app. The group fizzled and we decided to write the application in Rails instead. One of the developers of the Rails app didn't want the code to be released publicly so the project stayed dormant.
    Since then, I've rewritten WANG twice in Django. I figured with all of the Django blog apps and ComicPress out there, people wouldn't be interested in our code. If people are, I can spend some time to debreed WANG of all the PA junk and release it.

I think it probably switch to PHP around the same time that the site moved off of the dedicated hardware to rackspace. It sounds like at some point previous they were running rails.

I read that post twice, and all I could hear in my mind was this. I'm sincerely thankful that there are people who understand this stuff and can bring me the intertrons to have fun with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTDUuBWGtpU

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular

larlariwantanswers.jpg

I think I done fucked up in my career path. Historians never get to join the cool companies.

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

larlariwantanswers.jpg

I think I done fucked up in my career path. Historians never get to join the cool companies.

Revisionist historians do.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Kethenn wrote: »
    long post

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to write this up.

I think if something like this post had been the job ad in the first place, people wouldn't have been so shocked and insulted.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options

One could even infer that they have limited their talent pool to precisely fit the profile of person they are looking for!

That was my initial impression as well, but now it sounds like they actually just don't want to pay well, which is disappointing. Could just be one of Khoo's games.

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »

larlariwantanswers.jpg

Yeah, but they're all a bunch of douchebag bros.

• Options
    stebuustebuu Crabs are fucking crazy, and I hate horses Registered User regular
    The job posting and this thread answer a lot a questions about why the PAX website can't be updated during ticket season.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

That was my initial impression as well, but now it sounds like they actually just don't want to pay well, which is disappointing. Could just be one of Khoo's games.

"Khoo's games?"

I think you are reading way too far into it.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

"Khoo's games?"

I think you are reading way too far into it.

Roberticus Khooicus sitting on his golden throne deciding whether the losing gladiator will live or die.

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Larlar wrote: »

larlariwantanswers.jpg

Yeah, but they're all a bunch of douchebag bros.

They weren't always that way, according to them.

iwantanswers3.png
This discussion has been closed.