As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't get my computer to boot..

john00john00 Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Just bought all the parts for my computer.. me and a buddy put it together.. went to start it and no dice!

All the connections have been double checked.. and when I try to boot it up it makes a slight quick noise.. then nothing.. no lights or anything..

CPU
Core 2 Duo E6600

MEMORY
OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2x1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

OS
Windows Vista Premium OEM 64 bit

CASE
Antec Sonata II with 450W PSU

MOTHER BOARD
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLan Audio

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive

VIDEO CARD
EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GS KO 500MHZ 256MB 256BIT 1.38GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card

DVD DRIVE
LG GSA-H22L DVD+RW 18X8X16

Is something fried? I've heard about faulty PSUs with the Antec Sonata IIs but I don't know what to do.. (Used a anti-static wrist strap and everything)

john00 on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What kind of power supply are you using?

EDIT: Yes, I've heard the Antec II PSUs aren't too reliable. I'd say that's your problem.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • bluehirobluehiro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Make sure that all your mobo mounts are in the right locations. If you board it grounded out then it won't turn on or anything (I spent 3 days figuring that out during my last build).

If you have access to another PS, try it. Also try to unplugging everything and plugging it back in. Make sure you have adequate lighting, it's easier to see problems with good light.

bluehiro on
    t=54717
  • john00john00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought the newer Sonata's were fine.. maybe I got an older one? I'll take it in tomorrow and swap the PSU to see if that's it.. I was grounded hte whole time so I don't see how that could be it. The only PSU I have access to is from a 2 year old DELL PC maybe I'll try that

john00 on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Grounded meaning the motherboard has the spacers between it and the case. Does it have all of the spacers screwed in?

LavaKnight on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also, I overlooked this, but motherboards these days require more than one power hookup than the standard ATX one. I hope that made sense.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
    edited April 2007
    Yeah.. all the screws are in place properly.. and both power hook ups are in place as well.. which is why im having trouble figuring this out.. im thinking its either the PSU or the mobo.. :S

john00 on
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Take it one step at a time. Try just the mobo/cpu and PSU only, see if that works. No ram, hard drive, cards, etc.

StormyWaters on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Does the motherboard have a power light anywhere on it? Mine has a green light that's on whenever the power supply is on, regardless of whether the computer is or not. If so, check that to rule out the power supply.

And just to be sure, the "screws" that are in place properly are the spacers, right? They should look like this

LavaKnight on
    edited April 2007
    Yes those are the spacers that I used.. then screwed normal screws in from the top into the spacers.. I'll try the rest tomorrow or take it in to get it checked.. thanks for the help and any further suggestions would be awesome.. thanks

john00 on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe someone hacked your mainframe...? Did you check the flux capacitor?

tardcore on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Take it one step at a time. Try just the mobo/cpu and PSU only, see if that works. No ram, hard drive, cards, etc.

Uh, you need memory to boot.

Viscountalpha on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would give a link to this power supply calculator...put in your equipment, and it would come out with the combined power total the entire setup would need. Wish I still had that, but maybe someone else here knows what I'm talking about.

450w on my computer is barely enough, and I'm sure that's part of the issues for me as well. Dual harddrives, maxed out usb devices, ontop of the usual components.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    I would give a link to this power supply calculator...put in your equipment, and it would come out with the combined power total the entire setup would need. Wish I still had that, but maybe someone else here knows what I'm talking about.

450w on my computer is barely enough, and I'm sure that's part of the issues for me as well. Dual harddrives, maxed out usb devices, ontop of the usual components.

Found this on Google:

http://www.schrockinnovations.com/powercalc.php

Was that what you were referring to?

EDIT: If not, there are a lot more results by searching for "Power supply calculator"

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    450W is plenty for that setup. I guess I would try with another power supply - and see if that works. If it doesn't, then you'll have to go the "try one part at a time" approach. Take everything (except power hookups/switches) off the board except for the CPU, then try to start it. See what kind of beeps the mobo makes. Then put the ram in and try again to see if it beeps.

Also, make sure you don't have any EXTRA spacers in the motherboard tray.

I guess I would put my money on the power supply (I have an Antec Solution with one of those and it died after less than a year of use.) Antec is really good about RMAs too (they'll let you just send them the power supply.)

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    also, make sure the CMOS jumper is in the OFF position, not in CLEAR CMOS mode

cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg