As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade] Founders packs are live

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm actually kinda sad that the Thieving Magpies aren't on that list.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Still unreasonably upset there's no Sister's of Battle.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

If you mean Blood Ravens, they're actually only semi-canonical. THQ created them for their games and I don't think anyone who isn't THQ will ever use them.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    If you aren't Necrons you are wrong.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If you mean Blood Ravens, they're actually only semi-canonical. THQ created them for their games and I don't think anyone who isn't THQ will ever use them.

Blood Ravens get direct mention in the 6th edition (current version) Space Marine codex.

EDIT: They are listed as one of the example chapters which does not know their progenitor legion.

Nobody on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I thought they just put out a 7th ed?

But yeah, they were also in the 5th ed Codex as a Chapter Example (basically a 2 page spread of Tac Marines from about 30 different chapters, including the Space Sharks, Blood Ravens, Nova Marines, etc), so semi-canonical. Also alluded to being the descendants of the 1000 Sons in one of the HH books.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, semi-canonical. But they're a chapter invented for a specific company's video games, so I don't think they'd show up in another company's video game.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

Blood Ravens have been mentioned in the Horus Heresy novels, which are 100% canon.

It's in the short story 'Rebirth' from the Age of Darkness anthology. The last survivor of the battle is a Thousand Son of the Corvidae Cult, who's symbol is a black raven. His final words in the novel "Knowlede is power.", which is the Blood Raven motto.

Also in the 'A Thousand Sons' novel, a Remembrancer has a vision in which she states "It's too late... the Wolf is at the door and it hungers for blood. Oh, Throne... no, the blood! The Ravens, I see them too. The lost sons and a Raven of blood. They cry out for salvation and knowledge, but it is denied!"

The Blood Ravens were based on the gene seed of loyalist Thousand Sons, their history wiped and kept secret by the Inquisition.

Some say this is only speculation, but the way it's presented in the novels makes it pretty cut and dry.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Knowledge is power, Guard it well is the actual motto of the Blood Ravens, you just had half of it.

• Options
    Oh god, I'm not trying to get into a lore war. Literally everything is and isn't canon, that's how 40k works. That said, the Blood ravens were wholesale invented by THQ, which is totally cool.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I think we had a Penny Arcade Imperial Guard army put into THQ's games as well. Matrias worked for them and snuck it in

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Oh god, I'm not trying to get into a lore war. Literally everything is and isn't canon, that's how 40k works. That said, the Blood ravens were wholesale invented by THQ, which is totally cool.

Oh I agree, I'm just glad GW(or at least the Authors that write their novels) have accepted them and included them into their stories.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    I think we had a Penny Arcade Imperial Guard army put into THQ's games as well. Matrias worked for them and snuck it in

Long live the Arcadian sixth

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    This game's customization should be such that we can, in time, simulate our favourite chapters/warbands/craftworlds/cults/tribes/etc or create new ones with various dyes, symbols, icons, banners, etc. If it isn't, shame on this game for both disappointing a large selling point of this IP and missing a golden opportunity for cash shop revenues.

Having a starting point with the big names is good, but 40K is big on personal choice and should have that reflected here.

488W936.png
  • Options

You want to have fun, go on Dakka's 40k lore forum and ask if the Blood Ravens are 1k Sons descendants...

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    No. No, don't do that.

That is the opposite of fun.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    There's a clear difference between poking the bear and just full on slapping it on the ass @Nobody‌

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's not fun.

Go ask on Bolter and Chainsword why everyone likes marines, when they're so damn boring and vanilla.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2014
    Still unreasonably upset there's no Sister's of Battle.

If they look like this, then OK.
    Adepta_Sororitas_by_FirstKeeper.jpg

But if they look like this I'm going to have to table flip.
    Adepta-SororiFAIL.png

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    That second picture is fucking awful.

Honestly, I just want them around so I can have an excuse to run around and steal everyone else's shit.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Is it heretical to wish that Sisters of Battle had less prominent...uh....boobarmor?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No, it is not.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    That second picture is fucking awful.

Yeah, and that one is official art.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    I worked at a Games Workshop.

There is no pit of lore that I have not been forced to plumb with customers at minimum wage.

A favorite for some goddamn reason with our customers was always, "Do Space Marines have genitals."

God I don't care I don't care I don't care.

But that is a cool axe you have on your tiny plastic man, there. I like that axe.

• Options
    Yes, they do. They're just socially/emotionally stunted in that regard because they were taken from being 10-14 year old boys to being psycho-indoctrinated and genetically altered post-human adults.

I mean, read the sub-text during the Loken/Mersadie segments of the first three Horus Heresy novels. It's clear that they both have a thing for one another, but for Mersadie it's all, "He's a Legionary, that spends most of his time with me half naked and glistening with sweat, and I'm just a Remembrancer.", and for Loken it's all, "She's pretty, I guess...I have no idea how women work...".

:smiling_imp:

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I worked at a Games Workshop.

There is no pit of lore that I have not been forced to plumb with customers at minimum wage.

A favorite for some goddamn reason with our customers was always, "Do Space Marines have genitals."

God I don't care I don't care I don't care.

But that is a cool axe you have on your tiny plastic man, there. I like that axe.

They do, they just don't use it. I believe that the process of becoming a Space Marine makes them both sterile and removes sexual desire. I think that only changes if they go to Chaos, and only in superficial ways.

Your welcome.

Also I would probably use Blood Ravens for my Space Marine Librarian in this. Seems appropriate. Gotta use the Arkhona conflict as a good cover for scouring the planet for artifacts and lore.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Space Marines have to be sterile and have no desire, less every planet the pass be littered with women literally cleft in twain.

• Options
    I was about to ask what was so bad about the second art the I realized I could see her ass, her chest, AND her shoulders. Both parts of each set.

Spines don't work that way without the taint of Chaos....

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    There's a clear difference between poking the bear and just full on slapping it on the ass @Nobody‌

Naw you wanna do that, mention Matt Ward lore. Especially blood tide related crap or Draigo.

• Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    I was about to ask what was so bad about the second art the I realized I could see her ass, her chest, AND her shoulders. Both parts of each set.

Spines don't work that way without the taint of Chaos....

No, the spine is decently straight on that, but that certainly isn't powered armor.

• Options
    Yeah, I saw that after I viewed it on something other then a phone screen.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    .Her spine seems fine. You can only see one shoulder. The other "shoulder" is a ridiculously large shoulderpad. It's basically a profile shot with her head turned. Heads do turn.

• Options
    Yeah, the anatomy is not broken, but it isn't appropriate either. And that still isn't powered armor.

Unrelated note: Why the hell did they change the name of the Imperial Guard for the codex?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the anatomy is not broken, but it isn't appropriate either. And that still isn't powered armor.

Unrelated note: Why the hell did they change the name of the Imperial Guard for the codex?

Because they can trademark Astra Militarum. Imperial Guard is too generic to trademark. Expect the future Space Marine codex to be called Adeptus Astartes for the same reason.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Neither pose looks particularly battle-ready. They both look like an attempt to be sexy. The front-on isn't any less so than the profile IMO.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I am not disagreeing with you. That wasn't the point I was making.

The top one (the one I prefer) looks like she is wearing armor. Whether or not that armor is powered can be debated, but the argument can be made that it is bulky enough to conceal the mechanisms under the top layer, just like Space Marine powered armor does.

The second one is pretty much... well, if I had to say the materials were armor I would give it ballistic at best, but I am not sold on the concept. Powered armor? Not a chance.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I am not disagreeing with you. That wasn't the point I was making.

The top one (the one I prefer) looks like she is wearing armor. Whether or not that armor is powered can be debated, but the argument can be made that it is bulky enough to conceal the mechanisms under the top layer, just like Space Marine powered armor does.

The second one is pretty much... well, if I had to say the materials were armor I would give it ballistic at best, but I am not sold on the concept. Powered armor? Not a chance.

She's wearing the Armour of Contempt, heathen. The Emperor protects the faithful, and His will is enough to fend off all assaults on her purity.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    His will is enough to fend off all assaults on her purity.
    I thought that's what the flamethrowers were for?

Unrelated: If I run a Space Marine alt there's a very good chance it's gonna be a Blood Angel. Ultrasmurfs can get fucked, Space Furries can get double fucked, and the Dark Angels were kinda ruined for me by the god awful Horus Heresy books about them. "Our greatest shame is that some of our guys converted to Chaos and we fought them and onoes, some escaped!" Well yeah, no shit. Welcome to the entire god damn Adeptus Astartes club you whiny assholes. The Blood Angels, on the other hand, are close combat, chainswording motherfuckers and I can absolutely get behind that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    His will is enough to fend off all assaults on her purity.
    I thought that's what the flamethrowers were for?

Unrelated: If I run a Space Marine alt there's a very good chance it's gonna be a Blood Angel. Ultrasmurfs can get fucked, Space Furries can get double fucked, and the Dark Angels were kinda ruined for me by the god awful Horus Heresy books about them. "Our greatest shame is that some of our guys converted to Chaos and we fought them and onoes, some escaped!" Well yeah, no shit. Welcome to the entire god damn Adeptus Astartes club you whiny assholes. The Blood Angels, on the other hand, are close combat, chainswording motherfuckers and I can absolutely get behind that.

The Fallen Angels pre-date the HH novels by several years.

• Options
    And most of the other leagons that fell did so in whole, not in part. The Dark Angels are unique in that they have a list of exactly which mf's still need killing.