As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Play [SPELUNKY 2] With Us Every Day Until You Die | kill a mole with a rock

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Made it to the City of gold! Didn't have a shotgun and got killed by Anubis II. Should've dealt with the shopkeeper first.

I usually take out Anubis II with bombs...assuming I have sticky bombs, that is.

I panicked and ran down, into the shopkeeper. I'm not even sure anymore if it was the shotgun blasts to the face or Anubis homing-magic which killed me.

Probably the shotgun. Anubis II doesn't have that same scepter attack as Anubis I. He just summons endless hordes of red skeletons.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Doh! fell on some spikes in 5-3 after getting hit by a bat. Had a nice score going too.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    Langly wrote: »
    So in today's daily I made it to Hell for the first time, and I beat Yama for the first time (obviously). I got my personal best score of 638k. I was shaking I was so excited. I got to the leaderboard thinking no way was anyone on my friend's list getting more than that today

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There's only one thing to do in this situation...Delete Whomp Stomp :)

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Twice in a row now for dailies into Hell and killing Yama. Today's daily was rough item wise. I made it to hell without even getting a cape, let alone a jetpack.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Day 52: I died in Mines 1-1. Spikes :( terrible embarrassment lol

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Twice in a row now for dailies into Hell and killing Yama. Today's daily was rough item wise. I made it to hell without even getting a cape, let alone a jetpack.

I blew out the hole for Olmec to go in and went after him but woops! I didn't do it right this time and he hugged me as I grabbed a ledge to avoid fall damage.

• Options

Yeah, I was surprised at how far I got without a cape or jetpack! I was well on my way to Yama.

And then I died in a way that I didn't think would ever happen to me a second time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cMyRLdu3OA

I recall that this run had a LOT of close calls, but I don't remember the specifics anymore. Skip to about 43:30 if you want to see my final death.

• Options
    I took a look at the overall leaderboards just now. Wasn't the record that Bananasaurus Rex beat the other day around 2.6 million? Because I see there are currently 9 other people who are beyond 2.6m, with one person pretty close to Rex's record. I wonder if those scores are legit, or if people just cheated.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I took a look at the overall leaderboards just now. Wasn't the record that Bananasaurus Rex beat the other day around 2.6 million? Because I see there are currently 9 other people who are beyond 2.6m, with one person pretty close to Rex's record. I wonder if those scores are legit, or if people just cheated.

He's showing at the top of my leaderboard of overall High Score's with over 3.1 million.
    But I do think the High score leaderboard did have some false scores listed by cheaters. The same can be seen on fastest runs with two people being listed as zero seconds.
    I think the real fastest one isn't until 2:03 by Latedog.

I had a fun daily today. When I went to rob the shopkeeper in 1-3 with a rope and bomb and I thought I had Sticky bombs at the time...yeah, I didn't.
    Somehow I survived and managed to get to the Blackmarket for the Ankh and got the Royal Jelly from the Queen bee in 2-3.
    A failed vault bust on 2-4 finished me off though. I was making too many mistakes overall. Got hit my an arrow trap in 1-1 too.

Here's my Shopkeeper mishap.
    http://youtu.be/1d8FMp-Znws

DaxterMax on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

The recod he broke was 2.8X million, can't remember the missing digit. Might've been 2.83, he announced that he broke the record along that mark, quite before even going into the Yama bossfight and breaking 3 mill.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DaxterMax wrote: »

He's showing at the top of my leaderboard of overall High Score's with over 3.1 million.
    But I do think the High score leaderboard did have some false scores listed by cheaters. The same can be seen on fastest runs with two people being listed as zero seconds.
    I think the real fastest one isn't until 2:03 by Latedog.

Oh, yeah, he's at the top of mine too. I was just confused when I saw a bunch of scores very close to his top score. I don't think I've actually looked at the top 10 scores before now. I wonder if they ever clean out the obvious cheaters?

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

The recod he broke was 2.8X million, can't remember the missing digit. Might've been 2.83, he announced that he broke the record along that mark, quite before even going into the Yama bossfight and breaking 3 mill.

2,68X,XXX

By convention, a video game world record without extensive video evidence doesn't count.
    It's not totally implausible that there's a "ghost-faced killer" with a score higher than Latedog's, but anyway Brex beat the field so *shrug*

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
  • Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    For a shopkeeper in that spot, you can blow up the other side of the wooden wall and it won't aggro the shopkeeper. You can then lure him to the edge of his store and put another bomb almost directly under him. I only recommend it if he really has something you want.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    is there something wrong with the jump whip strat?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Sampsen wrote: »
    For a shopkeeper in that spot, you can blow up the other side of the wooden wall and it won't aggro the shopkeeper. You can then lure him to the edge of his store and put another bomb almost directly under him. I only recommend it if he really has something you want.

Yeah, I realized about 1 second after placing the bomb there that the explosion would aggro him.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    is there something wrong with the jump whip strat?

Not at all, I just mess it up too often to rely on it.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna have to start using the temple shortcut to practice on Olmec, because I just fell into his lava during a Speedlunky run. It was in my hands.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Currently in 4th for today's daily with a little over a million.
    Wasn't expecting to be that high as I didn't do much ghosting until after the black market.
    It was a tough start to get to it too with two dark levels in between.

With a Jetpack and plenty of bombs in it though the rest of the run wasn't too bad.
    Beat Yama which I hadn't done in a while for a daily, probably because I skipped the Mothership this time.
    A Plasma cannon, ghosting the Mothership and 4-1 would easily get you to first in today's daily I think

• Options
    Day 53: Now that I beat Yama I'm trying to learn how to rob shopkeepers. Today's attempt went horrible:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A62ghMMTdww

Hopefully I will have better luck tonight.

• Options
    My dailies have been terrible lately. I've been beating Olmec in about 1 out of 7 runs lately, but as soon as I get into the daily, something incredibly dumb happens and I die in the mines.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    Day 53: Now that I beat Yama I'm trying to learn how to rob shopkeepers. Today's attempt went horrible:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A62ghMMTdww

Hopefully I will have better luck tonight.

why don't you practice jump whip on the training level shopkeeper

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I had the most spelunky death today in the daily challenge. A tank blows a hole in the mothership floor, I kill it and shoot a crate and out pops a machete, which stuns me and knocks me in the hole into the abyss.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    On the new pro-hud, what is that icon that looks like a map, that sometimes shows up next to the level icon?

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    On the new pro-hud, what is that icon that looks like a map, that sometimes shows up next to the level icon?

The one with the skull? That's the "you're playing the daily currently" indicator.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Oh! That makes sense :P

• Options
    I had a weird thing happen with the sceptre in today's daily. I hit a shopkeeper and he was still running around with a purple circle all over him.

I got him the second time, of course the ring also caught me too and that was the end of my daily.

Will post a video of it soon.

• Options
    Day 54: I had success in raiding the first shop. Mines 3 had everything spread out and I took too much time doing everything, so I ended up rushing through the end of it and making a costly mistake with the shopkeeper there. Gotta be faster!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBKCeB9Gvj0
    I'll try jump whipping, but I dont really play besides doing dailies. Got alot on my gaming plate today, especially with Thief out now!

• Options
    02-25-2014 daily:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNnKMgORQlU
    I recorded this yesterday and don't even remember how I died, but since it's pretty short I'm going to go ahead and say it was a shopkeeper.

02-26-2014 daily:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwW--GkYnNU
    Before I was going to enter the black market, I figured I'd try killing the shopkeeper at the exit for some easy cash. It looked entirely possible to get away without a scratch!

Oops. Folly.

• Options
    Here is yesterdays daily where the shopkeeper becomes invincible to the rings from Anbusis' sceptre, or else outruns them...and my death

http://youtu.be/vrWmm_pmgys

But I beat Yama in today's daily. Missed out on the vaults in the mines and the Jungle. I ran out of ropes by 1-3 and things got hairy for a while.

• Options
    Day 55: What's this? A shopkeeper caught in a web? My shotgun should make quick work of him!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwrKwwO5oZE
    Nope I'm dead. This just shows how bad my reflexes are lol.

• Options
    Here is yesterdays daily where the shopkeeper becomes invincible to the rings from Anbusis' sceptre, or else outruns them...and my death

http://youtu.be/vrWmm_pmgys

Well, at least he died to the scepter ring the second time, but that's definitely weird!

• Options
    02-27 daily challenge:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ2-MKG6o84

Yup, shopkeeper in the mines again.

• Options
    I threw bombs at Anubis two in Olmec and the hawk man woke up and knocked me into Anubis as the bombs went off.

• Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    Good job on the speed run

http://youtu.be/wd597s1FQMA

Got caught between a pack of giant spiders and the ghost. I could have avoided it if I jump toward the exit but I didn't notice it in time. Also if I didn't have the ghost to deal with I could have gotten through.

• Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    02-27 daily challenge:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ2-MKG6o84

Yup, shopkeeper in the mines again.

I haven't seen that method of killing shop keeper before. Nice

• Options
    Got caught between a pack of giant spiders and the ghost. I could have avoided it if I jump toward the exit but I didn't notice it in time. Also if I didn't have the ghost to deal with I could have gotten through.

That bit with the spiders at the end was awesome.

The rope and bomb method is probably the safest way to take out a shopkeeper. After those methods, either a freeze gun, shotgun or machete in the store will work too.
    Then there's the jump whip one that's the riskiest if you don't pick up his gun in time.

• Options
    Might be taking a bit of a Spelunky break for the next few days. I got the new Castlevania and I'm going to try focusing on for a while. But who knows? Maybe I'll dive back into Spelunky sooner than I think.
    Then there's the jump whip one that's the riskiest if you don't pick up his gun in time.

Yeah. I almost always fuck that one up, so I never really try it.

• Options
    Day 57: Death by another shopkeeper! This fucker was in a pretty fortified position with a small opening. Next time i'll just toss a bomb and lure him out instead of suiciding. Learning ho!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FRq7A11UWI

• Options
    I've been hunting achievements, and I've learned a lot from them, e.g. trying to beat Olmec by using the temple shortcut, I learned a lot about the Temple and I'm no longer so intimidated by it. I just earned the sub 8 minute completion achievement, and public enemy as well, so I feel much more confident in dealing with shopkeepers and doing an Olmec run as well.

Still haven't reached Hell, I guess that's my next objective.