As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Play [SPELUNKY 2] With Us Every Day Until You Die | kill a mole with a rock

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Holy fuck, made it to Olmec in a fresh run for the first time. Getting that Kali thing early certainly makes you last a whole lot longer...
    Unfortunately, it seems climbing gloves fuck up the "easy" Olmec tactic I got off of youtube :<

I think the easiest way is to lure him to one of the corners. then when he's offscreen bomb your way down to the lava.
    Get on top of him and have him jump into the pit your made.
    This all depends on having enough bombs of course. You need 8 - 10 I think.

Doing the whole run against him while in a narrow pit with climbing gloves is tricky.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    The speedrun strat is pretty dicey even without the gloves. Lots that can go wrong. There's no compelling reason to use it unless you are shooting for the world record or involved in a race. Even doing the Speedlunky achievement leaves you ample time to bomb down and kill Olmec safely.

• Options
    My old friend Mr crushing block paid me a visit in today's daily.
    To be honest I did completely screw up what I was intending to do. I meant to get into position to throw a bomb onto it but I blanked and didn't realize the block underneath me was already gone.

http://youtu.be/FjlBqVgbPko

Yesterday's daily went well. Tough start with those dark levels and nearly got wiped out by the Ghost and some spikes opening up the Black Market enterance in that dark level.
    Beat Yama in the end and finished 5th.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Wow, Spelunky, just wow.

Spelunky1.jpg

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Wow, Spelunky, just wow.

Spelunky1.jpg

Drop bomb, pick up bomb, cook bomb, jump and throw bomb upwards.

Chest falls on your head and you take 1 damage.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    To be honest I did completely screw up what I was intending to do. I meant to get into position to throw a bomb onto it but I blanked and didn't realize the block underneath me was already gone.

Yesterday's daily went well. Tough start with those dark levels and nearly got wiped out by the Ghost and some spikes opening up the Black Market enterance in that dark level.

How the bloody hell do you have 660k+ at that point?

Even if I rob every market up to the temple or so and go out of my way for gems and gold - no ghostmining though - I end up with about 200k at the temple.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DaxterMax wrote: »

How the bloody hell do you have 660k+ at that point?

Even if I rob every market up to the temple or so and go out of my way for gems and gold - no ghostmining though - I end up with about 200k at the temple.

Most of it is from ghost mining. A ghosted Vault is usually between 70k - 80k. Usually you would have 120k - 150k leaving the mines, more if there's a snakepit and you have the chest unlocked or have the specs for knowing where buried gems are. Having a jetpack or climbing gloves makes it easier.

I never spend money either. The first shopkeeper is always robbed.

Ghosting can be very tedious though and I do mess it up sometimes too. It's just you have to wait around for the 2:30 mark most of the time and it can make a daily run drag on. It'd be nice if each level had one of those amulets you get in the dead are restless jungle levels to call in the ghost early.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Wow, Spelunky, just wow.

Spelunky1.jpg

Drop bomb, pick up bomb, cook bomb, jump and throw bomb upwards.

Chest falls on your head and you take 1 damage.

I knew that cooking off the bomb would be the only way to try it, but 1) The tunnel man needs a key so I figured this was a chance to do that (didn't get far enough) 2) The chance of me trying that and not being blown to smithereens is very low.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You don't strictly need the Udjat Eye to find the black market.
    In situations like that you can just go try to find it on your own.

• Options
    Terrible daily. Jump whipped the Shopkeeper and when I went to grab the gun, I put on the cape instead. Game over

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Tried ghost mining the mines. Came out with 150k. Booooring.

I kinda wish Ghost mining were implemented differently. Every good player will ghost mine to get the best score and it will always be the best tactic. Make it so you can only ghost mine a few levels and have to decide if it's worth it on the current level maybe.

Why even have the option of NOT ghost minign or NOT killing the shopkeeper when they are objectively worse options? That's my big gripe with this game.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular

I kinda wish Ghost mining were implemented differently. Every good player will ghost mine to get the best score and it will always be the best tactic. Make it so you can only ghost mine a few levels and have to decide if it's worth it on the current level maybe.

Why even have the option of NOT ghost minign or NOT killing the shopkeeper when they are objectively worse options? That's my big gripe with this game.
    Yeah the fact that the best high scoring method is extremely tedious isn't really a bonus.

On the plus side, you have the option to ignore the fuck out of it.

• Options

It could be that the developer never expected people would go to such extremes to reach high scores.Maybe he just wanted to give people a lot of options, as not everyone cares about scores. I certainly didn't care when I first started playing the game!

I thought my time with the game would come to an end once I beat Olmec. And for a time, it did when I beat Olmec in the Xbox 360 version...but then the Steam version came out and introduced the daily challenge.

• Options
    Oh yeah, Patrick Klepek did a 50-minute interview with Bananasaurus Rex about his experiences with Spelunky. It's an interesting listen if you've got the time:

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/it-s-never-enough-for-bananasaurus-rex/1600-783/

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    I don't ghostmine, it's incredibly boring and just not for me. I understand that I will likely never reach 1,000,000 gold, and I am okay with that.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    I ghost mine when the opportunity presents itself, but I won't go out of my way if it greatly increases my chances of death on a good run. I have a jetpack, shotgun, a ton of bombs, and there is a vault in the level? Time to do some ghost mining!

• Options
    My daily runs have been pretty crappy lately. Just don't feel like trying and am being distracted by games on other platforms.
    I think yesterday's daily I died to a shopkeeper after successfully jump whipping him. I only put two rounds in him instead of the usual three, and I didn't even care when he killed me after.

I mean this is how I died in today's daily. wtf was I thinking.
    First I thought I had sticky bombs. Then I thought it was a good idea to try and grab it and use it before it exploded.

http://youtu.be/52GXnbbu2ts

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    One of the flying demons dropped a bucket on my head while I was on the 5-3 altar, sacrificed. That's one way to end the daily.

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    One of the flying demons dropped a bucket on my head while I was on the 5-3 altar, sacrificed. That's one way to end the daily.

That exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I sympathize.

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Stupid dark jungle levels. It really didn't help dousing the torch immediately either. Shimmied down a tree onto some spikes.

• Options
    kraughmar wrote: »
    Stupid dark jungle levels. It really didn't help dousing the torch immediately either. Shimmied down a tree onto some spikes.

My story is even more tragic. As in "Why oh, why, would I decide to "explore a bit" after finding the exit of a dark jungle level.

So dumb.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Tonight on 1-4 I shot an explosive crate that was above an arrow trap. The explosion propelled the arrow trap just high enough to hit me. I had 2 health. :(

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Today, on my 97th daily challenge, I made it to Olmec for the first time! And got crushed between him and a wall. But still, that was super exciting. This game is soooo good!

• Options
    So. Many. Crush Traps. Today.

*shudders*

Had a good daily yesterday after putting a bit more effort into the run. Beat Yama and was in 3rd on the leaderboard when I finished at the time.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Tonight on 1-4 I shot an explosive crate that was above an arrow trap. The explosion propelled the arrow trap just high enough to hit me. I had 2 health. :(

Those arrows have an amazing homing trait to always find you no matter where you stand.

• Options
    Under what circumstances would one of those aliens in the ice levels that parachute out of the saucers show up in the caves?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Tonight was a rough daily, just couldn't catch a break.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I jumped into the ghost trying to find the black market.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Under what circumstances would one of those aliens in the ice levels that parachute out of the saucers show up in the caves?
    In a pot.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I jumped into the ghost trying to find the black market.

I bet you didn't do it like this -
    http://youtu.be/azrXzFEvW4o

• Options
    Today's daily has plenty of resources in it that should get you to Yama.
    Lots of bombs, the Kapala cup can be got early enough, Jetpack in the Blackmarket.

I went through the Mothership in today's one and beat Yama, placed second currently. Top score is way above mine.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Still new to Hell runs, I honestly don't know what I was thinking here.

http://youtu.be/6r9fSsW1JkI

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I made it to Olmec for the first time!

And then promptly blew myself up with my own bomb.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Still new to Hell runs, I honestly don't know what I was thinking here.

http://youtu.be/6r9fSsW1JkI

Ah crushing blocks. Have I ever mentioned how much I love these?

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm still unsure if I actually did activate the jetpack or not, since I fall on the thwomp and take fall damage. I think I did, but the thwomp hit me before I did, causing me to take the fall damage.

• Options
    New low% (no item pickups) world record:
    http://www.twitch.tv/pibonacci/c/3930198

2:51

Yep.
    Somebody beat Spelunky in under three minutes without picking up any extra items.
    Pib is also one of four people in the world to complete an eggplant run.

• Options
    Pib also has the low% no gold but he doesn't count it because no one else really runs it seriously.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Siiiiigh. Once again, the climbing glove has murdered my. Temple. Really good run, albeit out of bombs and rope. I'm right at the exit. tiki trap next to it. I go to drop down to quickly hit the exit before the scorpionfly gets to me....I stick to the tikitrap. Dead.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    If you whip as you jump, you won't latch onto stuff. Takes a lil' practice, but helps get you through a tiki gauntlet with climbing gloves.