Play [SPELUNKY] With Us Every Day Until You Die

1333435363739»

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I really hope this comes out on switch. I played the heck out of the first one on my vita. Perfect little travel game, but not one I'd really sit down to play while in front of the TV.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    Morran
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Colorful Extrovert Registered User regular
    Played for 3-ish hours last night and my biggest problem besides just figuring out new enemies and mechanics is that the new art style makes it harder for me to distinguish enemies against the background. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's frustrating right now.

tsplitter
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I made it to the second biome, so that's progress. I pretty much instantly died, but hey.

Pancho needs your prayers it's true
    But save a few for Lefty too
    Nips
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I died on a pretty big part after breezing through the Left Second Biome. . .and then died because throwing a rock at an enemy bounces through said enemy and hits a Friendly.

. . .I'm not mad though. I think maybe it is because these runs are so short and you don't really have the time to go slow but I'm not THAT frustrated when I die. Compare this to games like ENTER THE GUNGEON, where I already am not a Twitch Shooter expert, but having to grind through the levels again after getting clipped by something you swore you dodged.

Might also help that the visual style is so darn cute.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    There's a learning curve on both games but once you learn the monster patterns and items gungeon is a lot easier I think. Gungeon gives you items that are absurdly powerful, nothing on the level of clone of lucky clover exists in Spelunky... and if it does its just as likely to kill you.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    I got the game working after console update, as mentioned earlier.

I never played the first Spelunky, and am not great at platformers, so I'm getting wrecked. Ive prob got 50 or so runs in, have the first shortcut opened and have made the 3rd biome once.

Im enjoying it, but not necessarily experiencing the sublime perfection that people.have described.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I wanna talk about what I have learned, the hard-won wisdom I have earned
    -The clover you can get from the leprechaun does two things: reveals a hidden treasure via rainbow and also increases the time before the Ghost shows up

-Take the Eye from the first biome to the volcano biome, a device that drills into hell is available to use with the Eye. Go into the hidden hell door and fight your way to the top to get a crown. Take the crown to the water biome and you can trade it for Excalibur

-Don’t shoot at robots

-Poison is one of the worst status effects in the game. I don’t know if there’s a cure or not but I haven’t found one which makes it a death sentence. It’s worth taking a hit if it means you’ll avoid getting poisoned by a scorpion or bubble

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Regarding your last bullet point:
    Get a pet to the end of the level and it will cure your poison

joshofalltrades
    Things I have learned:
    Vlad's Cape lets you double jump as well as glide

Backpacks explode

Turkeys can be cooked with bombs, torches, and the fire dog's attack

Torches which have been extinguished can be relit from torches on walls

Whipping a camp fire gives you a burning torch

Hitting an enemy with the cursed jar turns it grey, but I haven't stuck around long enough to find out what that means

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Come on and SLAM

And welcome to the CLAM

:(

Rhesus Positive
    So, I've played prob a total of 5 or 6 hours now. I think its not really clicking for me. It's honestly kind of just too damn hard. I so rarely make any progress that it really just feels like banging my head against the wall over and over.

Made it to 6-2 and then trapped myself with no bombs or ropes :x

Man, fuck you Spelunky. I hate you. Yet, I keep.playing you. Another hour of my life sunk to this endless death cycle, but i did make it to 4-1 this time (and die within literally like 10 seconds). I hate this game, and hate all you. Lets see if i get any further tomorrow :)

Rhesus Positive
    I've just noticed that there another page to your death journal which gives additional stats. My daily run, for example:

Dear Journal,

I was law-abiding.
    I liked pets.
    I took my first damage in level 1-3 (Bat).
    I eventually died in level 2-4 (Snap Trap).

Cordially,
    Princess Airyn

Ranlin