As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Dev - Unreal 4.13 Out Now!

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    @darleysam: Whichever you think will serve you best, but something to consider: The problem with learning Max now when you can't afford to buy a license for it is that all that knowledge will be useless to you until you have the money to buy a license for it. That's the exact trap I fell into - the educational license cannot be used for anything commercial at all, so you won't be able to make any money with it to eventually finance the full license. Whereas with Modo Indie I can (and I am) selling packs on the marketplace/asset store to eventually finance a full license. Though tbh. The limitations of Modo Indie aren't even bad, so I might just buy whisky instead!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Fair enough, I'll give it a think. Realistically, at the moment, I don't have access to a PC that can do any of the things I'm asking, so I'm a ways off spending any money for now.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    So back when Woolfe got canceled I got the E-mail that they were selling the IP. For Giggles I sent off an E-mail to see what they were asking for it. Today, one month later I got a reply. They want $61,000 for it and all other assets. This includes about 40 browser games they did as well.

The game is all unreal 3 and the browser games are either adobe director or unity.

Needless to say I don't have that kind scratch laying around and considering they are soliciting me as a buyer means all the big boys passed. It's pretty sad as I enjoyed the game. It was far from groundbreaking but it wasn't bad either.

Artoria on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I never heard of it, what was it? If nobody's biting maybe you could talk 'em down

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Anyone made a video for vertical display on the iPhone? I've created a trailer for our game, but the video isn't displaying correctly. It's playing the video horizontally which puts huge black bars on the sides (or top and bottom depending on your perspective).

x05pvsrc7nyt.jpg

Any protips or advice? Basically, I'd like a video that runs full screen while holding the iPhone vertical. If it gets all weird when they turn it, so be it.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Ok I am having a really, really, really weird bug that I don't understand at all and can't find an answer for.

I've got an Input Axis in Unreal set up to change a variable(over a specific time-frame). When I push the buttons, nothing happens and the float value that the event is sending doesn't do anything.

However when I store it to a variable and print the variable to the output, the value does change correctly. So it's definitely reading the input, setting the input, and... somehow just dropping the ball on doing anything with it. I have no idea what's going on with it. I've attached the blueprint of that section, but when I watch the variable it's always 0, and the output has it working perfectly.
    a0dmpmu18onz.jpg

EDIT: Ok it..... it decided to just start working all of a sudden.

Never mind I guess?

Khavall on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    OK, refined, and hopefully final version of our game's promo video. Let me know what you think. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/enml7byypm4oulv/promoVideoFinal.mov?dl=0

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    Finally got that stupid Root Motion working on my UE4 avatar so he/she can climb over ledges.

I'm shooting for a basic 3D platformer but not stealthy like Thiefy. I'm leaning more toward PoP or Mirror's Edge I guess. Based on stuff from Peter L. Newton's channel I got the basic platforming techniques working, then added some techniques that I've generally enjoyed in these types of games. My final list includes:
    • double jump
    • wall running
    • zip line
    • grappling hook
    • wall climbing and ledge hanging

Might add air dash but eh, I dunno.

Levels are randomly generated from small hand-built chunks of platforms. Not too fancy so far, but it's enough for playtesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5wvCOSlYl4

• Options
    I picked up work on my 3D menu system again after a longer stretch of working on other things. Hope to get it submitted to the marketplace this month!

Here's some swanky blended motion between the menu items moving to the camera and the camera moving to the menu items... Hrm, I really need to figure out a better way to describe this! But basically, you can adjust a slider from 0 to 100%, and at 0% the camera moves to look at the selected menu item, and at 100% the menu moves to position the selected item in front of the camera. This vine is using a value of 60% or so, to create some nice dynamic motion:

I've also written some auto-arrangement functions that take all the menu items you add to a menu and rearrange them into certain shapes. I've got cylinders, circles, and plain old lists working already! Look here for tasty cylinders:
    bsmenus-cylinders2.jpg

bsmenus-cylinders1.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Grraaaaaaaaah

I spent literally all day yesterday trying to build Unreal engine again with Wwise integration. I'm pretty sure the solution right now is just "don't do that until the new integration is released", because of 4.9 being the only version available on Github.

I sort of need to be able to use WWise to do the stuff I want to, since it's the only audio engine I've found that has synthesis available(which I need). They say that they try to be within 2 weeks of a new Unreal to update the integration, so hopefully they do it this week and I can finally get it working.

Super frustrating though, trying to follow the instructions and build everything and getting errors and crashes the entire time.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Khavall wrote: »
    Grraaaaaaaaah

I spent literally all day yesterday trying to build Unreal engine again with Wwise integration. I'm pretty sure the solution right now is just "don't do that until the new integration is released", because of 4.9 being the only version available on Github.

I sort of need to be able to use WWise to do the stuff I want to, since it's the only audio engine I've found that has synthesis available(which I need). They say that they try to be within 2 weeks of a new Unreal to update the integration, so hopefully they do it this week and I can finally get it working.

Super frustrating though, trying to follow the instructions and build everything and getting errors and crashes the entire time.

Not sure if I just misunderstood you, but you can get previous versions of UE from github from their respective release branches, if you want to just build it with the previous engine version and existing integration.

• Options
    In other news, I just made my first pull request to UE4. Fixed a little bug that I've run into in building my menu system... not bad for having started to learn C++ less than a week ago, amirite? :D I'm oddly proud of this single line of code.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Nice, what was the bug?

• Options
    Some of you may laugh at this but I need to start animating my main characters and I plan on using UE4's main skeleton. I've usually made very simple skeletons that are easy to animate by simply rotating the bones but this skeleton is a full humanoid with all the complexity that comes with it. So I decided to follow autodesk's 3dsmax tutorial on properly rigging a character a wow does that ever make animating anything easier. I had never worked with a rigged skeleton before and it is definitely worth putting the time to rig something up.

• Options
    I'm having a fucker of a time trying to get Wwise integration to work with UE4. Even making sure that the versions are together and I'm pulling older UE4 versions, the dependencies and building always throws a million errors.

I'm hoping that if I just uninstall everything and wait for Wwise to update to 4.9 and do a totally fresh source build it will work, and if it doesn't I'm really just out of ideas.

• Options
    Handkor wrote: »
    Some of you may laugh at this but I need to start animating my main characters and I plan on using UE4's main skeleton. I've usually made very simple skeletons that are easy to animate by simply rotating the bones but this skeleton is a full humanoid with all the complexity that comes with it. So I decided to follow autodesk's 3dsmax tutorial on properly rigging a character a wow does that ever make animating anything easier. I had never worked with a rigged skeleton before and it is definitely worth putting the time to rig something up.

plz to link tute

• Options
    LaCabra wrote: »

plz to link tute

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    unity seems to have dumped monodevelop

holy shit

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    unity seems to have dumped monodevelop

holy shit

I'm not surprised, all monodevelop wants to do is eat doritos and watch sports. I've been telling them for years they could do so much better.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Are they just going to do what Unreal did and blanket require Visual Studio/Xcode?

Because the first thing I do if I'm setting up a new computer with Unity anyways is just switch it to VS or Xcode and forget that Monodevelop exists.

• Options
    If y'all want to see some UE4 gamejam games being played live, the inimitable Michael Allar is streaming a playthrough of ALL the submissions of this past weekend's UE4 gamejam with the theme "Live Deathless" right here:
    He's been streaming for probably 11h already, and there are still 20 games left.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    i still work at blizzard guys

so HEY I'm learning to like, do programming the proper way ! ! ! Why, just this week I finally wrapped my mind around the model/view/controller paradigm (I'd never understood the necessity of model/controller separation), and let me say: the model/view/controller paradigm is rubbish! Interface/implementation is enough of a divide for meeeeee

ANYWAY writing tools continues to be pretty neato! I've already had "an impact" on the game but the next big Heroes patch actually has, like, art that they had me do when our FX artists were overloaded. Tech art is neato! I like being the mortar in between the art/engineering bricks a whole lot

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    i still work at blizzard guys

so HEY I'm learning to like, do programming the proper way ! ! ! Why, just this week I finally wrapped my mind around the model/view/controller paradigm (I'd never understood the necessity of model/controller separation), and let me say: the model/view/controller paradigm is rubbish! Interface/implementation is enough of a divide for meeeeee

ANYWAY writing tools continues to be pretty neato! I've already had "an impact" on the game but the next big Heroes patch actually has, like, art that they had me do when our FX artists were overloaded. Tech art is neato! I like being the mortar in between the art/engineering bricks a whole lot

Yeah I am not too big a fan of model/view/controller and prefer MVVM (Model View ViewModel) but that's only if I have a good data binding system. In WPF and Silverlight MVVM was a dream to work with.

• Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    I just saw Cute Things Dying Violently on steam and wanted to say congratulation @AlejandroDaJ .

Thanks! Completely forgot to post about it in here.

I released simultaneously on Steam, iOS, and Android, aaaaaaand... got my ass completely kicked. Completely. Game that sold 50,000 copies in 2011-2012 on Xbox 360 has barely cracked 600 copies sold across those three platforms. And that's after having hired Evolve to do my PR for me!

Which leaves me more than a tad lost and confused as to how I'm supposed to move forward from here.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    This seems relevant to this thread. Of particular note is GameMaker: Studio Pro int he $6 tier
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Weekly Bundle:
    Pay at least $1 for:
    • YoYo RPG
    • Foliage Pack and Items Pack
    • Another Perspective Another Perspective
    • WizardWizard + Source Code and Documentation
    • Spoiler Alert
    • Death Ray Manta
    Pay at least $6 for:
    • GameMaker: Studio Pro
    • Stealth Bastard Deluxe
    • Savant - Ascent
    • Another Perspective Source Code
    • Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in The Hotel Lisbon
    • Death Ray Manta Source Code
    • 10 Second Ninja
    • Spoiler Alert Source Code
    • Super Crate Box + Super Crate Box Source Code Super Crate Box
    Pay at least $12 for:
    • GM:S Android Export Module
    • Stealth Bastard Deluxe Source Code
    • Savant - Ascent Source Code
    • Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in The Hotel Lisbon Source Code
    • 10 Second Ninja Source Code
    • Wasteland Kings + Wasteland Kings (Source)

FREE Games! (non Steam)
    Get L'Abbaye des Morts and Spelunky Classic (plus the source code to both games) for FREE! (just enter your email in the box)
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Weekly Bundle:
    Pay at least $1 for:
    • YoYo RPG
    • Foliage Pack and Items Pack
    • Another Perspective Another Perspective
    • WizardWizard + Source Code and Documentation
    • Spoiler Alert
    • Death Ray Manta
    Pay at least $6 for:
    • GameMaker: Studio Pro
    • Stealth Bastard Deluxe
    • Savant - Ascent
    • Another Perspective Source Code
    • Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in The Hotel Lisbon
    • Death Ray Manta Source Code
    • 10 Second Ninja
    • Spoiler Alert Source Code
    • Super Crate Box + Super Crate Box Source Code Super Crate Box
    Pay at least $12 for:
    • GM:S Android Export Module
    • Stealth Bastard Deluxe Source Code
    • Savant - Ascent Source Code
    • Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in The Hotel Lisbon Source Code
    • 10 Second Ninja Source Code
    • Wasteland Kings + Wasteland Kings (Source)

FREE Games! (non Steam)
    Get L'Abbaye des Morts and Spelunky Classic (plus the source code to both games) for FREE! (just enter your email in the box)

(quoted from G&T Steam thread)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The $299 GameMaker Android Export module in the $12 tier also jumps out at me.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I never heard of it, what was it? If nobody's biting maybe you could talk 'em down

It was a twisted fairy tale type platforming game kind of like Alice madness returns. It had a pretty successful kickstarter but meh reviews. I honestly didn't think they did a bad job on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGadziSy_kM

They are still reaching out to me about it so depending on what they will take i might give it a go. Only problem is the kickstarter baggage that would come with it and whether or not I would be taking that on as well.

• Options
    I don't suppose anyone's looking for some voice-acting for any projects they're working on? I know a guy who's after some work if any should be going.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Sometimes programming is confusing.

I'm working on my own collision detection and sometimes when the player/moving object collided with multiple solid objects in the same frame it might get pushed to the side a little. This is especially noticeable when moving into a wall at the seam between two tiles.

My solution to this was to only act on the collision with the nearest object and deal with them one at a time and it seemed to work. Except only when moving right or down (the positive directions on the X and Y axes) and not when moving left or up (the negative directions).

Another problem that I think might be related is that my circular 32 radius player can move through one 64 wide gap perfectly fine, but gets stuck in one in a different place.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    I think I found a bug in Unity or I'm doing something wrong.

I'm creating a chat bot for Twitch using Unity to tie in the bot activities with an overlay.

My code works in the editor but when I compile to standalone it hangs. I isolated the hang to enabling a disabled UI canvas object. My workaround is to create a panel within the canvas and manipulate that instead.

Wondering if anyone experienced anything like that.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    @darleysam: Whichever you think will serve you best, but something to consider: The problem with learning Max now when you can't afford to buy a license for it is that all that knowledge will be useless to you until you have the money to buy a license for it. That's the exact trap I fell into - the educational license cannot be used for anything commercial at all, so you won't be able to make any money with it to eventually finance the full license. Whereas with Modo Indie I can (and I am) selling packs on the marketplace/asset store to eventually finance a full license. Though tbh. The limitations of Modo Indie aren't even bad, so I might just buy whisky instead!

How difficult was it for you to learn Modo coming from 3DS Max?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Ok, so I've got another error that I have no idea what to do with it.

I've got a "game" completed, and I'm trying to build and package it from Unreal 4.8.3. It builds just fine on the pc, and runs just fine. Everything works fine and dandy. No problems there.

But when I load it on my mac, it loads just fine and seems fine, and says that it's building just fine.... and then if I try to open the .app, an icon breifly flashes on my taskbar, and then goes away. It's like it crashes immediately, but without any log or error or anything. Just instant crash on load. And I've got to present it tomorrow, and it would be nice to just be able to run the standalone, and not have to go through loading the engine and running it there.

Is there some weird thing I need to do to get it to work on mac?

Khavall on
  • Options
    Not that I know of, but you should be able to get to the log by opening up the app file/secretlyafolder thing? Macs are weird

• Options
    I just tried that... there's no log file there.... hm.

Again it's not an emergency since I could just run it via the Editor, but it sure would be nice to have.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Ah, dang. I've never mac'd on UE4, only UDK a bit, and I thiiiink that saved logs.

Do a post on the answerhub?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I've been given the assignment at work of developing a small educational game to teach the basics of evolution, and designing this is proving tricky. It's difficult in terms of how much control you can give to the player without making it into a god game, the exact opposite of what we're trying to do here. I'm trying to figure out a gameplay loop that is interactive and has meaningful choices but doesn't distort the educational message.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I've been given the assignment at work of developing a small educational game to teach the basics of evolution, and designing this is proving tricky. It's difficult in terms of how much control you can give to the player without making it into a god game, the exact opposite of what we're trying to do here. I'm trying to figure out a gameplay loop that is interactive and has meaningful choices but doesn't distort the educational message.

Are you trying to teach what evolution is and how it works or more like human evolution?
    My first thought is that the player gets to affect environmental things and see how the inhabitants might adapt - i.e. flood an area, some things grow gills, others get webbed feet, others move from the ground to the trees, etc.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm getting a strange freeze up in Unity doing an animator spider-web to control animations for my character. Feast your eyes on something which could probably be more simple but for all intents and purposes works perfectly:

smzon52opng7.png

I was having issues transitioning from WalkDown to WalkUp without going to DownIdle. All the transitions have no exit time, no transition time, and interrupt state set to "Next State". This way you can cancel animations by changing directions so you don't have the character walking left while you're holding the right direction on the game pad. The transition to WalkDown from DownIdle is setup exactly the same way. Well, the interesting thing is, I have no idea what the hell this little arrow is under the DownIdle state (which I've circled in blue). So I clicked it, and there's a whole 'nother transition there, but it's not coming from anything? Lo' and behold, I changed the settings on that transition arrow to match all the other ones, and success... wonky animation transitions are gone! However, here's the weird bit, now every time I click on that arrow Unity just freezes up completely. I mean I have the settings on the transition the way I want them, but I still don't even understand why that transition is there in the first place? It's like Unity realized that arrow's not even supposed to be there and is like "oh crap, what do we do?"

So yeah, not really sure how to stop it from freezing up Unity, but for now it's okay I guess since I don't need to click that arrow ever again.

Edit - I deleted that state and took 2 minutes to re-add the state and the transitions, and now that arrow is gone. Dump this in with strange times with Unity.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »

How difficult was it for you to learn Modo coming from 3DS Max?

Not at all. I had a really great tutorial though that I can heartily recommend: https://gumroad.com/snefer has a 1h Introduction to Modo tutorial up for 5$ that is well worth the money. If you're completely new, he'll walk you through the basics of everything! That got me started, and got me to understand Modo's basic paradigms, and from there on the rest was easy to figure out.

• Options
    In other news, Oculus have just released the source assets for the Henry VR demo for everyone to check out! If you're developing things for VR, this is probably worth a look. I'm building it right now ;)

https://storystudio.oculus.com/en-us/blog/how-the-sausage-is-made-henry-trailer/