As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Games and Technology
What is No Man's Sky? Aside from being the silver lining in the very dark cloud that was the VGX show, it is ... well, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpDn5qPp3s

And that sums up what we know about it. Obviously this will be updated once there's anything else to update it with.

No Man's Sky is being created by Hello Games, which is made up of about as many people as you would expect it to take to create something this ambitious: four. Previous titles are Joe Danger and Joe Danger 2.

The music in the trailer is a track called Debutante by 65daysofstatic. Not sure if it'll be in the final game.
Edits:
1. Added trailer music youtube video
2. Replaced trailer with official Hello Games youtube video
3. Added info about Hello Games

Fawst on

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    procedurally generated universe gives me a bit of an Elite vibe and that is a very good thing. games looks stunning and visually very interesting. seriously cannot wait to learn more about this and i think pretty much every gaming site will be raving about the reveal in the days to come.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    That looks pretty ridiculous

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Guy on the B.net mentioned an interview, I'll see if he has a link.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Getting a real strong Mass Effect 1 vibe from the music in that trailer. This pleases me greatly.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    There was an (awkward, per usual) talk with one of the devs after the trailer, yeah. There's going to be persistent multiplayer. Four guys are making it.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I like how the Resozu counter changes to a Lazeus counter.

• Options
    did i hear right when they were interviewing the devs, they paid their own way to get to LA and be on the show? if that's true Spike should be offering to reimburse them because that was most definitely one of, if not the, highlight of the show.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I've never even played a freeroaming space-type game

I wanna start with this

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Edited the OP to include (a minor bit of) info on the music.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    did i hear right when they were interviewing the devs, they paid their own way to get to LA and be on the show? if that's true Spike should be offering to reimburse them because that was most definitely one of, if not the, highlight of the show.

The plane ticket that guy bought might be the most effective ~$800 of marketing money that anyone in the industry has ever spent.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    @Fawst the YouTube link in the OP is dead but here's another upload of the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNVgVl6v6YU

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    My god. This game. It's.... It's beautiful. The part of me that loves exploration in video games has a gigantic boner. Please be on PC.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Alright. It's time to compare ourselves to each other! How long did it take for you to understand the name of the game?

1. You got it almost immediately.
    2. It took you a little while / came to you later rather than instantly. (Me.)
    3. You didn't realize the name of the game was anything special until reading this post.
    4. You still don't see where the name came from even after learning it's not just arbitrary.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    If you mean "a witty play on "No Man'a Land", count me under 1.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Alright. It's time to compare ourselves to each other! How long did it take for you to understand the name of the game?

1. You got it almost immediately.
    2. It took you a little while / came to you later rather than instantly. (Me.)
    3. You didn't realize the name of the game was anything special until reading this post.
    4. You still don't see where the name came from even after learning it's not just arbitrary.

It's all being procedurally generated, and is thus "no man's sky"

It was not individually crafted by man's hands

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

You spelt *the only* wrong.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    I'm throwing my wallet to the screen but nothing is happening :c
    Also, when I was watching the trailer, I was like http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/198qb5yrrfeedgif/ku-medium.gif

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Waaaaaaant.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oh damn....

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    :|

I think this is the definition of 'pipe dream'. Four guys making a persistent multiplayer space exploration game that is procedurally generated right down to individual simulated atoms. Oh yeah, that seems like a totally reasonable project.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Well they're probably not doing atoms, despite what the trailer said, but it does seem a bit over-ambitious.

• Options
    C2B wrote: »

You spelt *the only* wrong.

i think both TellTale reveals will prove popular and Broken Age got a good showing too*, so the show wasn't totally devoid of quality. but this game did stand head and shoulders above everything else that was shown, for me and judging by this thread alone for a lot of other people as well.
    The Ender wrote: »
    :|

I think this is the definition of 'pipe dream'. Four guys making a persistent multiplayer space exploration game that is procedurally generated right down to individual simulated atoms. Oh yeah, that seems like a totally reasonable project.

if you're not aware of it already i suggest you read up on the game Elite. that link should get you started but i'm sure there's much more out there that has been written about the game and its technical marvelry.
    The Elite universe contains eight galaxies, each galaxy containing 256 planets to explore. Due to the limited capabilities of 8-bit computers, these worlds are procedurally generated. A single seed number is run through a fixed algorithm the appropriate number of times and creates a sequence of numbers determining each planet's complete composition (position in the galaxy, prices of commodities, and even name and local details— text strings are chosen numerically from a lookup table and assembled to produce unique descriptions for each planet). This means that no extra memory is needed to store the characteristics of each planet, yet each is unique and has fixed properties. Each galaxy is also procedurally generated from the first.

*i do think the BA demo could have gone better though, i'm not sure VGX was the place to show it off to the best effect but i guess plenty of people saw it so we'll call that a win.

• Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    So happy to see 65daysofstatic being featured. The album that song is from, We Were Exploding Anyway, is the best album I own (I own many hundreds).

This song is the best:

A really interesting game too.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    There was an (awkward, per usual) talk with one of the devs after the trailer, yeah. There's going to be persistent multiplayer. Four guys are making it.

Oh my...

This honestly doesn't sound like it's scoped out to well. I am prepared for disappointment.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Stop pressing all my buttons, game. You can't possibly be that awesome.

And also stop using awesome music from amazing bands in your trailers, it's rather endearing. Use some terrible dubstep or something.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I don't think this is a pipe dream. After all, you can do a lot with the right tools. Sir, You Are Being Hunted procedurally generates several large islands for you to explore. They're by no means complex, but they are pretty. The Evochron space exploration games share some similar concepts with No Man's Sky - a large, open galaxy with multiplayer and planetary atmospheres you can enter and exit seamlessly - and is made by a single person.

It probably won't meet the expectations of our imaginations, however. It looks like it will be a beautiful but simple exploration and combat game with a larger scale than most, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Hopefully it will have more meat than that, but I'm sure I'll still have fun with what's there.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The tech looks pretty good. But I think it's going to be tough to create a random* universe that is also interesting. I fear you'll have a 1000 worlds to explore that will all play the same.

And I don't see how you could incorporate much narrative either. A good narrative needs structure and that's difficult if your world is built on randomness.

Of course, pure sandboxes don't hold my attention well. I need at least some other motivation beyond just "do whatever".

*Assuming "procedural" implies that, which doesn't have to be the case.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the Infinity: Quest for Earth game that has been in development for a long time

I've been wanting a Space game that let's you go from planet to space to planet without loading for a long time.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of the Infinity: Quest for Earth game that has been in development for a long time

I've been wanting a Space game that let's you go from planet to space to planet without loading for a long time.

You mean like the infamous Battlecruiser: 3000AD? :) I have to say, though, for a procedurally generated game, it looks really nice. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Routine is another game coming out that has a very small dev team and is procedurally generated. And it looks amaziiing

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I really hope this ends up on steam. Going to keep my eye on this.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »

unless either MS or Sony pay a decent sum of money to get it exclusive, then i'd imagine it'll appear on pretty much every platform that can run it.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Kendrik wrote: »

You mean like the infamous Battlecruiser: 3000AD? :) I have to say, though, for a procedurally generated game, it looks really nice. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Evochron Mercenary has been doing this for years now. Quite well too and very playable. This is a game made by one guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMk8khpqARM

This kind of idea is ambitious but it's not beyond the grasp of a small team. The real issue is going to come down to how smartly the procedural generation is handled. It's going to also have a lot to do with art assets. Lots of games have been creating procedural worlds in lo-fi 2D and 3D with small teams. This team is going to face the same hurdles. We've already seen that they can produce nice art, but just how much variety can we expect. We certainly see a lot of red in that trailer for example. Is that a theme that continues throughout the universe they will generate?

Really though, beyond these basic problems that all developers face with procedural generation we just don't have any information to go on. And that trailer was pretty sly about hiding how things are going to scale.

Drake on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I was kind of bored in the middle and started wondering about giant enemies wandering the landscape and BOOM! GIGACOBRA!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I was kind of bored in the middle and started wondering about giant enemies wandering the landscape and BOOM! GIGACOBRA!
    Cobra? More like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-EdLMxjPCg

• Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    oh man I am all over this

when can we relocate our money to their wallets

is this known

• Options
    Ynuu wrote: »

is this known

no idea. it could be a while yet unfortunately. hopefully we'll get an idea of how far off it is before too long though.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I understand wanting to build the hypemachine, I just hope they didn't do this prematurely.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Ynuu wrote: »

is this known

no idea. it could be a while yet unfortunately. hopefully we'll get an idea of how far off it is before too long though.

Safer bet is a timeline measured in years, not weeks or months.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Right now I'd bet on it being PC/PS4.

Microsoft/Sony would've been shouting from the rooftops if it were exclusive, so a PC version is a given. As for PS4, Shahid Ahmad (basically Sony third party relations, signs a lot of indies to their platforms) was teasing the game leading up to the show, so he had to have been involved with them somehow.

Xbone is a possibility as well but given the stupid requirement that indies release their games on Xbone first or simultaneously and the unlikelihood of a tiny indie studio managing to do that, I'd count it out for now. I half expect another 180 with that requirement anyway, which would make it a far more likely possibility.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid