As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Last time I checked, "AAA Prices" were usually $60 up front, plus $30-50 for a Season Pass plus a handful of microtransactions for cosmetic fluff.

No Man's Sky for $60 straight up, seems like an ok price to me if it delivers on what they're promising.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Oh for fuck's sake. "Indie" doesn't mean "let our devs starve we guess because reasons." Games take money and time to make. People who make games need to eat food. It looks to me like a game that's worth $60 considering how good it looks and the work that went into it.

Indie =/= cheap. It literally just means you don't work for a larger company like ZeniMax, EA, or 2k, or whatever. And probably have a smallish team.

*e* As someone who does freelance indie tabletop game work, I am real fuckin tired of the idea that we deserve to be paid less because we don't work for a larger company or with a large team. I actually would buy this game at that price point if I had the money (turns out, freelance tabletop shit has garbage pay!), so I'm waiting for a Steam sale, but gjasdfjj gah.

Yeah, I've never really understood the rationale that independent games should be cheap just because they're independent. That's sort of like justifying the price the big publishers use because of how much money they put into the advertising. Part of developers' jobs is to make something that's worth the money. No Man's Sky certainly looks the part of a high-end game. If it turned out to be a screensaver you can walk around in, well yeah, a lot of people would be pissed. But none of the previews thus far are implying that the game is anything so bare-bones as that.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    There are like 2 people arguing that this game costs too much because it is an ' indie' title (fuck that term btw). The rest are people who always wait on sales. They're the sensible sort who know how much disposable income they have but won't bitch about the price of a game being too high.

Those are just my circle of friends. I,on the other hand would gladly pay more for this. Making games is expensive business and the enjoyment I get out of them is priceless, in many cases. Hell, Morrowind saved Mr fucking life back in the day. It is literally worth my life to me!

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    There are like 2 people arguing that this game costs too much because it is an ' indie' title (fuck that term btw). The rest are people who always wait on sales. They're the sensible sort who know how much disposable income they have but won't bitch about the price of a game being too high.

Those are just my circle of friends. I,on the other hand would gladly pay more for this. Making games is expensive business and the enjoyment I get out of them is priceless, in many cases. Hell, Morrowind saved Mr fucking life back in the day. It is literally worth my life to me!

Get a load of Mr Fucking Life here.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Oh, you. AUTO CORRECT BE DAMNED I'M KEEPING THAT!

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Well, here's the thing for me:

Even despite the space sim renaissance, how many half decent conventional space dogfighter games have come out recently? Elite is a fine game, but it's combat is more akin to Eve than TIE fighter / Freespace. Star Citizen's combat model is great, but it's still in a half-baked state and God knows when it's going to come out of the oven.

Every piece of NMS dogfighting footage looks like the kind of fast, mean, WWII-esque dogfighting action I want in my spaceship games, and which few (if any) games are providing right now. If it delivers on the footage, it's GotY material for me - even if everything else is lackluster - because I guarantee I'll sink hundreds of hours into the dogfighting given that there are no good alternatives at the moment.

Um, I don't think Elite's combat is anything like Eve online, since eve online there is no dogfighting, you literally click the 'orbit' button and press f1 to start shooting bullets/missiles/lasers.

I was under the impression that you could build a little outpost or something though, this appears to be not the case? Probably still going to be a day 1 purchase for me, but building a base/expanding my operation always hits several pleasure centers in my brain.

I don't think anything shown so far shows building much of anything in the game, or even the potential for it, so I would not get hopes up in that regard. The general intent seems to be explore/collect data+resources/move on. I suppose you could do the build-by-subtraction method, IE dig a cave structure out of the ground, but that might not even be saved. I don't think it's ever been confirmed concretely just what happens when you leave a planet and return to it. Sean has said 'big' changes are saved. Planetwide extinction of a life form was an example cited; building a crude mud shelter doesn't seem to qualify. The mechanic of 'all planets are generated by math' doesn't lend much strength to small scale alterations being retained, but on the other hand, it must be saving SOMETHING if it knows you wiped out a creature.

Of course, all of this would be easily cleared up if Hello Games, well, cleared it up.

• Options
    I recall mention of structural changes being saved locally but not server side. But even then, are they kept permanently or does the planet reset those smaller changes after you leave the system?

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I recall mention of structural changes being saved locally but not server side. But even then, are they kept permanently or does the planet reset those smaller changes after you leave the system?

Good question. Based on how the game generates its worlds, it would seem to suggest that the game would save the data if a player decides on spending time blasting a trench into the side of a hill in Planet A and that this would be negligible, data-wise, compared to the time spent leaving Planet A to explore Planets B and C, and generating the particulars of those places.

I guess it comes down to how they save the data on a well-explored planet versus planets you neglect exploring at all. Ideally, I could imagine that it all comes out in the wash since the game is going to devote save data to the planets you spend time on as opposed to the ones you don't...but...if the game is truly a shared player universe, albeit a very very massive one, my afternoon spent drawing a giant dick on the planet Zog would need to be there for everyone else to see, if they can reach me.

Which would make the idea start to fall apart, if indeed they can reach me to behold my works and despair.

Since multiplayer is explicitly not intended in the main game, I'm going to have to say they can't. Since the game worlds are allegedly populated with important devices and reference points dotting their landscapes, which likely involve things like digging and such to get at and so on...I'm going to say it would make sense to keep all that in.

Unless, of course, there's an in-game reason for the guardian droids to fill up your holes and things like that. But, since you are able to cause planetary extinctions and things like that...

Man, I'm getting myself all turned around here.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    If this game is as good as it looks from the trailers and delivers on what they show, it's easily worth $60 IMO. I will gladly pay that.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I think I'm going ps4 with this. Take advantage of the giant TV I have compared to my pc monitor.

• Options
    Part of me really wants to get the PS4 Collector's Edition, even though I intend to buy and play the game on PC.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Revealed content that hasn't 'officially' been announced yet (as far as I can tell):
    Sentient NPC + dialog tree. It looks like the dialog hasn't been translated yet, and the responses are 'guesses' at what you think the alien might want to hear, etc. That's pretty damn cool to me and gets me wondering if alien language can be manually code-broken or are you completely reliant on deciphering it using ingame mechanisms. http://cdn2-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2016/03/sZbF6ej.jpg

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I am still really intrigued by this game, but I have no idea how to evaluate it or if I'll like it.

I've never played Minecraft and my only foray into that style of game is Terraria, which I liked but ultimately stopped playing because there was so much stuff to do I didn't know what to do with myself.

I'm afraid this game will be like that for me, but it's so beautiful and full of such potential that I am hoping there is some way I can find some direction in this game that will motivate me to do stuff.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Revealed content that hasn't 'officially' been announced yet (as far as I can tell):
    Sentient NPC + dialog tree. It looks like the dialog hasn't been translated yet, and the responses are 'guesses' at what you think the alien might want to hear, etc. That's pretty damn cool to me and gets me wondering if alien language can be manually code-broken or are you completely reliant on deciphering it using ingame mechanisms. http://cdn2-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2016/03/sZbF6ej.jpg

That scene is kind of surreal looking. I don't know if it's the chairs or lighting or what.

• Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »

That scene is kind of surreal looking. I don't know if it's the chairs or lighting or what.

I assumed the intent was to mirror the retro-chic aesthetic the game itself is going for. The plain white blackground, white molded plastic chairs, are very reminiscent of 60's sci fi.

• Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »

I assumed the intent was to mirror the retro-chic aesthetic the game itself is going for. The plain white blackground, white molded plastic chairs, are very reminiscent of 60's sci fi.

Agreed. It has a cool look.

To comment on the actual game - I wonder if the sentient aliens are procedurally generated too? And the languages? Man if they literally have everything being generated...that's insane.

• Options
    It would be cool if the language thing was robust enough for players to begin building a meta-translation outside of the game a la Fez.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    Pre-order bonus/bundles announced yet?

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh dear. Hype reignited at full.

• Options
    I assume that was the demo that was given to press earlier. He shows off the aliens and crafting and stuff like that. It's good stuff. Definitely reinforced that this is a game I want to get lost in.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Has there been an example of a planet with more than one palette to it? Like if you were flying low orbit would you go over a forest then maybe a desert or something. They've mentioned that when walking around you've only checked out a tiny fraction of a planets surface but do you think there would be any interesting reason to?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I think they've said that for simplicity's sake all the planets are basically one biome - Star Wars-style.

• Options
    No Man’s Sky: Sean Murray Lets Anthony Carboni Play, Regrets It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqmJ8k9uBB0

Painful to watch.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I think they've said that for simplicity's sake all the planets are basically one biome - Star Wars-style.
    So no north or south poles?

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I don't recall them ever skimming the atmosphere of a planet or anything, guessing the whole planet is just an extended procedural generation that wraps up on itself. So no part of it would have a defined pile of any consequence

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That was actually really fun to watch.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »

I think they said one biome because they realized that if the planets had various ecosystems that provided different resources and stuff like that, it would provide less incentive for people to ever leave a planet.

• Options
    @Beltaine Anthony Carboni, of 'We Have Concerns', and reaper of worlds. :lol:

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

I think they said one biome because they realized that if the planets had various ecosystems that provided different resources and stuff like that, it would provide less incentive for people to ever leave a planet.

why the fuck would you stay on a planet you have a space ship!

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

why the fuck would you stay on a planet you have a space ship!

The game is a completionist's worst-case scenario as it is (IE, you literally cannot see everything) so I'm glad it's one biome. I could definitely see myself spending more time on planets knowing there was more variety to them; I can already tell I'll be planetside a lot longer than what they're showing in this round of demos.

• Options
    I plan to only land on planets long enough to facilitate my life of space piracy.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    So after seeing the mess happening with Dark Souls 3 and cheating, I'm getting a little concerned about what impact cheaters will have on the PC version of No Man's Sky.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So after seeing the mess happening with Dark Souls 3 and cheating, I'm getting a little concerned about what impact cheaters will have on the PC version of No Man's Sky.

Well, considering how rare it will be to encounter another player, it doesn't seem likely to be a problem.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It would be hard for them to put less effort into preventing cheating on PC than From has with any iteration of dark souls.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Well, considering how rare it will be to encounter another player, it doesn't seem likely to be a problem.

My guess is that day one someone will load up cheat engine and give themselves a billion of all resources then set their jump range to infinite and go to the center of the galaxy.

But from everything I've seen/heard NMS is pretty much a single player game with what basically boils down leaderboards for naming shit.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

My guess is that day one someone will load up cheat engine and give themselves a billion of all resources then set their jump range to infinite and go to the center of the galaxy.

But from everything I've seen/heard NMS is pretty much a single player game with what basically boils down leaderboards for naming shit.

Right. I guess I was hoping I wouldn't have the internet spoil whatever is at the center of the universe within 48 hours of release.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I guarantee within 24 hours there'll be a Polygon tweet asking "Do you want to know what's at the centre of No Man's Sky's galaxy?" with a big picture of exactly it.
    And I'll see it about a hundred times.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Well. We can only hope that Polygon uses one of it's famously talented interns again. :P