As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How cold is it where you are?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Today was a high of -5F and the schools did not close. The superintendent released a statement that essentially said "School isn't closing. If you don't like that then keep your child home and we wont care, just please don't complain about it. We are tired of the complaints."

by noon they threw up their hands and closed schools for tomorrow.

Weather person is saying it'll get down to -21F which will top (lower?) our previous record for the day which was (is?) -19F set in 1915.

Why are the schools closing in the cold? Do they not have adequate heating inside?

The issue isn't the heat in the schools, it's the safety of students while they're trying to get to and from school.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Today was a high of -5F and the schools did not close. The superintendent released a statement that essentially said "School isn't closing. If you don't like that then keep your child home and we wont care, just please don't complain about it. We are tired of the complaints."

Weather person is saying it'll get down to -21F which will top (lower?) our previous record for the day which was (is?) -19F set in 1915.

Why are the schools closing in the cold? Do they not have adequate heating inside?

The issue isn't the heat in the schools, it's the safety of students while they're trying to get to and from school.

Yeah, we'll have schools closed for days in some areas around Central VA because backroads are still iced over if it hasn't gotten above freezing.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    So New Orleans has a slim possibility of getting a quarter inch of snow tomorrow and everybody is flipping out. Schools are closed everywhere and most of the parish governments are shutting down Tuesday and Wednesday.

I literally cannot view this as anything else than weakness of character. Or laziness(and taking any excuse to not do shit).

Or, you know...it could be southern states don't have the infrastructure and resources to deal with snow and icy roads.

I'd like to see a northern/mid state deal with a cat 5 hurricane.

A couple months after I moved from Florida to Maryland, we got hit by a weak cat 1 hurricane and people flipped the fuck out. Fucking lazy people.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    To be fair, when we got hit by Irene it was barely category 1 (may have been tropical storm by that point, I don't remember), but we still had billions in damages because of all the flooding caused. The amount of roads and bridges washed away and damaged, homes flooded and destroyed, and businesses full of water was unprecedented for the state.

A quarter inch of snow is largely inexperience, sure, but seriously? This is people who don't think "hey, the roads are slick, I should slow the fuck down." Especially when, as noted above, they drive like shit in the rain too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    To be fair, when we got hit by Irene it was barely category 1 (may have been tropical storm by that point, I don't remember), but we still had billions in damages because of all the flooding caused. The amount of roads and bridges washed away and damaged, homes flooded and destroyed, and businesses full of water was unprecedented for the state.

yes that was my point thank you
    A quarter inch of snow is largely inexperience, sure, but seriously? This is people who don't think "hey, the roads are slick, I should slow the fuck down." Especially when, as noted above, they drive like shit in the rain too.

Yes, seriously. If you don't have experience and know what to do on icy roads guess what

you're not gonna do what you're supposed to do on icy roads

I had no idea you were supposed to pump your brakes when driving on snowy/icy roads. I learned that when I moved up here. I also had no idea what black ice was.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    You shouldn't pump your brakes ever unless you have standard brakes. With anti-lock brakes, you just gently push the pedal and let the system do its magic. Sometimes anti-lock brakes can't handle snow and ice very well, which is why you keep the speed down. Pumping the pedal with anti-lock brakes can cause the system to fail and make matters way worse for you. And, if you skid, turn the wheel into the skid and hit the gas, not the brakes.

Black ice is a weird thing that even people who live with it don't necessarily understand. It doesn't help that the local news will warn about black ice even when it isn't happening. You really don't find out about it until it's too late. If you're driving and see your headlights on the road suddenly just turn dark, you're probably in trouble. Which, again, if it's near freezing slow the fuck down.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Slowing down in unfamiliar driving conditions is hardly a difficult concept. Some cold and light snowfall is hardly the disaster it's being sold as. The sort of weather some of these places are getting, and freaking out over doesn't even require special equipment to deal with. Just driving more carefully. Trying to equate it with a hurricane or something is disingenuous at best.

If the response is instead something along the lines of "I've got a pickup with a 4WD, I can handle anything! *full throttle*", then yeah, I can see why it'd be dangerous.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Also if you're using diesel buses without specially mixed fuel it can gum up at about 0 F

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    You shouldn't pump your brakes ever unless you have standard brakes. With anti-lock brakes, you just gently push the pedal and let the system do its magic. Sometimes anti-lock brakes can't handle snow and ice very well, which is why you keep the speed down. Pumping the pedal with anti-lock brakes can cause the system to fail and make matters way worse for you. And, if you skid, turn the wheel into the skid and hit the gas, not the brakes.

Black ice is a weird thing that even people who live with it don't necessarily understand. It doesn't help that the local news will warn about black ice even when it isn't happening. You really don't find out about it until it's too late. If you're driving and see your headlights on the road suddenly just turn dark, you're probably in trouble. Which, again, if it's near freezing slow the fuck down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiW2K8gASM

• Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    As cold as a witch's tit.

• Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I got trapped at the office in ATL when I checked the traffic at 1 pm and decided I didn't want to get into that. It took a coworker 4 hours to go 5 miles on the bus before they got to the train station and I had a 30 mile drive to do through the middle of the city.

I'm pretty sure I made the right decision once I was here, but I should have just tried to work from home today.

My boss left at 2 pm and she says she's only halfway to her house now at 10:30.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I got trapped at the office in ATL when I checked the traffic at 1 pm and decided I didn't want to get into that. It took a coworker 4 hours to go 5 miles on the bus before they got to the train station and I had a 30 mile drive to do through the middle of the city.

I'm pretty sure I made the right decision once I was here, but I should have just tried to work from home today.

If you tried to go through downtown, you'd still be in your car.

I left work at 11:45 and got home easily.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

If you tried to go through downtown, you'd still be in your car.

I left work at 11:45 and got home easily.

Didn't have to drive to work today, thanks to the flexibility of my job. Currently sipping warm beverages contemplating the descent into madness.

• Options
    InvisibleGriffinInvisibleGriffin Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    So New Orleans has a slim possibility of getting a quarter inch of snow tomorrow and everybody is flipping out. Schools are closed everywhere and most of the parish governments are shutting down Tuesday and Wednesday.

I literally cannot view this as anything else than weakness of character. Or laziness(and taking any excuse to not do shit).

Or, you know...it could be southern states don't have the infrastructure and resources to deal with snow and icy roads.

I'd like to see a northern/mid state deal with a cat 5 hurricane.

A couple months after I moved from Florida to Maryland, we got hit by a weak cat 1 hurricane and people flipped the fuck out. Fucking lazy people.

I did that last time one got up to New England. I had to keep the car to 55 and so missed supper, but got home from Maine all the same. Wasn't so bad.

• Options
    My mother mentioned that a lot of people are running out of gas and abandoning their vehicles on the road. That's.. pretty terrible actually.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

8 1/2 hours? Holy crap, now I feel sort of bad about complaining when it took me an hour to drive 30 miles in the freezing rain/ice/snow I had yesterday morning yesterday. it was 40 and raining when I woke up at 5am, and an hour later when I left it was 28 and snowing, and 14 by the time I got home from work.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Closing for cold... Massive snowstorm, sure. Ice storm, yeah. If the city bus service won't run, then sure. But just for a measly -30C with a high of -20?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    News for anyone who knows someone stranded on Atlanta's roadways: Local Home Depots are opening to serve as shelter for stranded motorists.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Atlanta: One of my friends got home around noon today and he left work around 4 pm yesterday. It's normally a 30 min commute for him. Even though he was stranded in a hotel lobby a mile away from my apartment last night I still couldn't make it to him to let him crash at mine. There's still abandoned cars on the roads in and around my apartment complex in Atlanta.

This is insane. According to a viral article on social media, two of the city's four salt trucks were inoperable yesterday after crashing into each other before leaving their parking lot. :rotate:

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Atlanta: One of my friends got home around noon today and he left work around 4 pm yesterday. It's normally a 30 min commute for him. Even though he was stranded in a hotel lobby a mile away from my apartment last night I still couldn't make it to him to let him crash at mine. There's still abandoned cars on the roads in and around my apartment complex in Atlanta.

Abandoned cars? The fuck?

How much snow did you people get?

This is insane. According to a viral article on social media, two of the city's four salt trucks were inoperable yesterday after crashing into each other before leaving their parking lot. :rotate:

Amazing. Just ... amazing.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Maybe two inches, I'm not really sure. It's not just from getting stuck in snow and ice, but also due to people running out of gas while stuck for hours in gridlocked traffic. My brother's girlfriend had to walk two miles to her apartment after running out of gas while stuck in traffic 30 miles from Atlanta.

Last night they activated the National Guard to help rescue people.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Maybe two inches, I'm not really sure. It's not just from getting stuck in snow and ice, but also due to people running out of gas while stuck for hours in gridlocked traffic. My brother's girlfriend had to walk two miles to her apartment after running out of gas while stuck in traffic 30 miles from Atlanta.

I'm normally sympathetic to the plight of cities that aren't equipped for unusual weather but 2 fucking inches? That's it?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mr. Pierce makes an excellent point: if you're going to fail on snow, don't do it in CNN's backyard.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

I'm normally sympathetic to the plight of cities that aren't equipped for unusual weather but 2 fucking inches? That's it?

I'll let The Atlantic and Al Roker clarify:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HZWDf-h10

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    We got an inch last night here in SC, about two hours north of Atlanta. They closed schools at noon yesterday and did not have school at all today. Still it got up to 37 F so most of the ice should be gone and things should be back to normal tomorrow. I have a friend in Atlanta I will have to inquire after him and see how he fared.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    It wasn't the few inches of snow that shut down Atlanta. It was the million people all trying to drive across it at once that logjammed it shut.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    It wasn't the few inches of snow that shut down Atlanta. It was the million people all trying to drive across it at once that logjammed it shut.

Also a bunch of ice that makes it near impossible to get up hills.

I understand that the north gets tons of snow and everything, but down here it rains at right above freezing, and then transitions right into ice when the sun starts to go down. Farther north, it starts off cold enough there isn't a ton of rain.

I doubt even you guys can handle 1/2 an inch of ice without any salt/sand.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

humans ruin everything

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I like that Al Roker video.

He's not as self-righteously angry as Jim Cantore probably would be about it.

But still.

"This is not the weather's fault, this is your fault you greedy, stingy politicians"

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »

I understand that the north gets tons of snow and everything, but down here it rains at right above freezing, and then transitions right into ice when the sun starts to go down. Farther north, it starts off cold enough there isn't a ton of rain.

Umm...that's been happening in the north too, only for us when the temp drops, it really drops (-5 last night).

• Options
    Speaking of Jim Cantore, we've all seen this yet? (turn the sound on, it's worth it)

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Umm...that's been happening in the north too, only for us when the temp drops, it really drops (-5 last night).

Yes

but

A) The North is used to this, it is expected. The South does not usually get weather such as this. It's pretty much a once in a generation storm. They are not prepared. (Should they have been? Since they knew it was coming, yes they probably should have called in salt trucks from the northern states to assist, and had they not gotten there in time, shut down the city the day before the storm hit)

B) The Northern states/cities/counties have more than 4 salt trucks for a city of a million people.

Hell, they probably have more than 4 salt trucks for a city of a thousand people.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

humans ruin everything

We really are the worst.

• Options

Yes

but

A) The North is used to this, it is expected. The South does not usually get weather such as this. It's pretty much a once in a generation storm. They are not prepared. (Should they have been? Since they knew it was coming, yes they probably should have called in salt trucks from the northern states to assist, and had they not gotten there in time, shut down the city the day before the storm hit)

B) The Northern states/cities/counties have more than 4 salt trucks for a city of a million people.

Hell, they probably have more than 4 salt trucks for a city of a thousand people.

I was just getting at it is not somehow worse than it is in the north, that freezing rain isn't a south only thing. Something people aren't used to is the only valid excuse.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Yes

but

This isn't anywhere close to a once in a generation storm. Since 1980, we average a 2+" event every 3 years. It wasn't even as bad as the last storm 3 years ago where we got 4", but that one was on a Sunday night and this one was Tuesday afternoon, hence the traffic.

The once in a generation storm was in 1993.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Shryke wrote:

In my experience, it's usually not the actual weather that causes problems, it's the sheer number of people that aren't prepared or ignorant of how to adjust to those weather conditions. In a major metropolitan city like atlanta, which I imagine is already prone to gridlock or rush hours, it only takes a few people who don't slow down and drive foolishly to cause a major pileup.
    ronzo wrote:

You'd be amazed just how much ice we can handle.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/random-stuff-informer/2013/12/23/pictures-toronto-ice-storm/

• Options
    Shryke wrote:

In my experience, it's usually not the actual weather that causes problems, it's the sheer number of people that aren't prepared or ignorant of how to adjust to those weather conditions. In a major metropolitan city like atlanta, which I imagine is already prone to gridlock or rush hours, it only takes a few people who don't slow down and drive foolishly to cause a major pileup.
    ronzo wrote:

You'd be amazed just how much ice we can handle.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/random-stuff-informer/2013/12/23/pictures-toronto-ice-storm/

Actually, you couldn't handle that much ice. That storm shut Toronto down and it took weeks to restore power to everyone that lost it. Our society is much more fragile than we care to admit and we take its robustness for granted.

• Options
    We can clearly handle the exact same conditions far better then Atlanta. I mean, 2 inches of snow with no plows or salters would cause issues, but not anything close to these kind of issues.

If you told me 2 inches of snow shut down Atlanta, I'd say that's normal.
    When you tell me it lead to traffic jams that lasted into the next day and left people sleeping in offices and schools and Kwik-E-Marts, that's just funny and kinda sad.

• Options
    InvisibleGriffinInvisibleGriffin Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    We can clearly handle the exact same conditions far better then Atlanta. I mean, 2 inches of snow with no plows or salters would cause issues, but not anything close to these kind of issues.

If you told me 2 inches of snow shut down Atlanta, I'd say that's normal.
    When you tell me it lead to traffic jams that lasted into the next day and left people sleeping in offices and schools and Kwik-E-Marts, that's just funny and kinda sad.

It is the south.

• Options
    I will say the only thing that really baffled me -- I expected people to drive poorly and run into each other -- is people saying they were "stranded a mile from home" and slept in a convenience store or whatever.

It's a mile.

You can walk it in 30 minutes.

Lock your car and come back tomorrow.