As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How cold is it where you are?

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And after the wicked cold snap a few days ago, Vancouver Island has stablized at around 10C/50F, which is what it usually is. Basically light jacket weather.

Really if anything, it just rains a lot this time of year, and that's about it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    When I was in Italy it was really funny seeing babies in snowsuits... In 55F weather.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Jean wrote: »
    hE487DF72

See that part at the bottom where it says 82? That's where I live. Honestly I don't think I could live north of Georgia. We hit 60 and people are breaking out the parkas.

Parka at 60 F? Those people are fucking weak. I'd understand hoodies or something, maybe a lighter coat, but winter gear?
    Kaputa wrote: »
    -40 is pretty normal for Jan/Feb in Yellowknife, yes. It's a little early in the winter for -40, but yesterday was awful. As soon as I stepped outside I felt like my nose had instantly turned to granite. However, Yellowknife can also be very windy. Which is where last year's -50 really hit hard.

Anyway, here's the thing about climatization. It's -31 this morning and I dressed light. -31 is comfortable to me now. :P
    Wow. I can't imagine what -40 must feel like. I thought I was fairly hardy when it came to the cold, but once it drops below 0F I am generally not okay with the situation. I'm honestly surprised you can even breathe the air at that temperature.

You can, but it's not very pleasant. I think the coldest I've been was -38C, and that was pretty miserable. Then again, it was also really windy. Generally you don't want to take big heaping lungfuls of air, but shallower breaths in order to let it be less of a shock.

I'm pretty fat, and I have a fast walking pace, so I'm huffing and puffing when I get to my building.

It's fine. You really don't notice that so long as you're dressed correctly.

Like I said, windchill. But yeah, I wasn't really dressed for the weather, as the temperature fell by nearly 20C overnight, with no prior indication it was going to happen. If it's predictable? Good layering and appropriate clothes deal with it alright. When it's around -30ish centigrade for longer than a day, you don't really notice it after a while simply by changing your clothing a little. I imagine it's the same for longer periods of -40 etc.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I check the weather on my iPhone every morning and then put the appropriate clothes on. :P

I used to be much more blase about dressing for the cold when I lived in Calgary.

That changed when I moved here. I haven't bought a Canada Goose parka yet (I probably will after Christmas. The one I want is almost a grand.), but I have a really warm hoodie that fits under my winter jacket, and I double up the gloves when it drops to below -35. Basically, I take the cold very serious when it comes to being properly dressed since unlike in Calgary, when the cold sets in up here, it's here for the long haul. The temp won't go back above 0 until April at the earliest.

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    I don't care about the cold, tough 4PM is way too early for sunset. Sunset must be like at 2PM where you're at, Nova?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    Today it was at about 3 I think.

• Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    -40 again today, but it felt like JESUS FUCK IT'S COLD OUT degrees.

10 minute walk to work and my goatee was coated in ice.

I may be misreading it, but it seems like you're saying -40 isn't already Jesus Fuck Its Cold Outside by the simple virtue of being -40 fucking degrees.
    I'm assuming that's a typo. Where the hell is it -40? Nunavut?

As an aside, -40 is the best temperature, by virtue of being the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Yesterday it was -30 C in Ottawa with the windchill. And we got a lot of snow dumped on us over night.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    -40 is pretty normal for Jan/Feb in Yellowknife, yes. It's a little early in the winter for -40, but yesterday was awful. As soon as I stepped outside I felt like my nose had instantly turned to granite. However, Yellowknife can also be very windy. Which is where last year's -50 really hit hard.

Anyway, here's the thing about climatization. It's -31 this morning and I dressed light. -31 is comfortable to me now. :P

Your world is weird.

Of course if I told you 21C is nearly hoodie weather where I'm from, you'd probably think I was crazy as well.

You figure it regularly gets above 41C here for three months, though.

Yeah, 21C is by no means hoodie weather. Acclimatization is weird.

Well, 21°C is on the cusp of hoodie weather, but still a bit warm. You really see them getting broken out when it hits 15°C (60°F) here.

2011 was the worst summer on record here, with the air temp maxing out at 45°C but the "real feel" was closer to 49°C (119°F). We also had 18 consecutive days of 38°C+ and 38 days total from Jun to Aug.

So, when it starts hitting around 15°C (60°F's), it tends to feel a bit chilly.

jungleroomx on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Our unadjusted temp has been single digits, if not below zero, for about a week.

Then on the windy days it's easily 40 below windchill.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm just happy the snow has finally showed up. There's seasonal depression, and then there's the weird existentialist funk that can happen when you're half into December and there's not a scrap of snow on the ground, just barren trees, dead grass, and brittle, dry, subzero air...and no sun.

edited December 2013
    There's a word for an extreme version of it. Kaamos.

EDIT: From Wikipedia:
    "The period of polar night can trigger depression in some people. People who suffer from seasonal affective disorder are particularly susceptible to these conditions.[citation needed] The polar night may also be implicated in some instances of solipsism syndrome."

Also, in the northernmost part of the country here, the polar night can last up to 50 days.

Rhan9 on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    There's a word for it. Kaamos.

Man, those Japanese guys have a word for everything!

edited December 2013

I don't know if I should cut you or not. Goddamn internet and sarcasm don't mix.

Rhan9 on
    edited December 2013

I don't know if I should cut you or not.

>:)

If it helps you can just say my post in the voice of Homer Simpson.

jungleroomx on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    79 degrees in Southern California today >:l

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Its been consistently in the twenties and teens here in Eastern Washington for weeks now. This weekend it got up to at or above 32 and we were rejoicing! That is in Faranheit too. It was 7 F on the pass this morning when I drove to work and foggy. The roads were not as bad as I thought though. Only one feinted breaking loose but I was going slow enough for my tires to catch back on the road easy enough.

It has been like this the last couple of years though. Little snow in the lowlands. Just butt ass cold. Although it is in the low 30s this afternoon.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Here in sunny Florida, our air conditioner wasn't working for a while at work today and it got pretty rough. It was warmer inside the building than outside until things got fixed.

Meanwhile, my fiancee (who lives in Illinois) took one of her cats outside on a leash to experience snow for the first time. He lasted a minute before pretty much demanding to go back inside.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular

I may be misreading it, but it seems like you're saying -40 isn't already Jesus Fuck Its Cold Outside by the simple virtue of being -40 fucking degrees.

As an aside, -40 is the best temperature, by virtue of being the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Yesterday it was -30 C in Ottawa with the windchill. And we got a lot of snow dumped on us over night.

Just woke up(south of Ottawa) and it is -31.5C on my thermostat, started the car about 20 minutes ago and I doubt it will be warm when I leave 5 minutes from now.

The best part is the prediction of +6C for Friday.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Just woke up, -24C, -37C (which is about the same than in Fahrenheit !) with windchill. I have to get my car back after the snow-cleaning operation. I just hope it starts...

Myiagros wrote: »

Just woke up(south of Ottawa) and it is -31.5C on my thermostat, started the car about 20 minutes ago and I doubt it will be warm when I leave 5 minutes from now.

Do you not plug it in?

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Yeah, -20, -30 with the windchill this morning here. Car barely started. Ugh, I hate cold winters. And to top it off we're getting another 20cms starting overnight into tomorrow to go with the 27cms we got on Sunday.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular

Do you not plug it in?

Don't have a block heater on the car, it started fine though, 5 minutes of driving and it was warm inside.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    -2 this morning as I pulled into work. Not re-acclimatized (spent 2 years in California) yet, but getting there.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    -13. That's ten degrees colder than it was supposed to be. Ugh.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Will be in Singapore briefly which should be mid 30s (thanks Google Now), then NZ, mid to low 20s. Will update with pictures of shorts and t-shirts adorned with Santa when applicable

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    I don't think Singapore ever changes from the 35-38 centigrade bracket.

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Must be boring living they're. I like having a 4 seasons climate.

-12C this night. Felt hot, I didn't even bother to zip up my coat.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular

Do you not plug it in?

I was assuming he meant inside... even with a block heater and plugging it in, that car is going to feel damned cold when he gets in. I love the in-car heaters, but I haven't had one in ages and lots of workplaces don't let you plug them in with the block heater (they blow the breakers for everyone).

SPEAKING OF PLUGGING IN YOUR CAR... lol

I was just made aware of the absolutely best (seeming) Kickstarter for anyone who lives in Canada or the northern States... the MagnoPlug is designed by two dudes from here in Saskatchewan to sort out all sorts of annoying issues with plugging in your car, including difficulties actually getting the prongs in and out of the plugs! Search it out and take a look. Seems like a simple idea, but definitely one that makes me smile.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    It's about 70F degrees (about 20C) here in Austin today, which is pretty nice. Air feels great too, just a touch of humidity.

I'm embarrassed that when we had the cold snap a week or so ago, when ot was around 25-30F, I found it pretty damn cold. Considering that I grew up in Labrador where -20C or -30C are the norm for this time of year, it just reminded me how much living the past four years in southern California and in Texas have ruined my ability to cope with cold.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It's fifty today. Damn nonsense.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Looking at 78° on Sunday down here in Richmond

fffffffffffff

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Well, I know I have nothing on some folks, but Seattle is getting snow as we speak. It was all ready discussed in thread why this is bad.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

Looking at 78° on Sunday down here in Richmond

fffffffffffff

Nothing says "Southern Christmas" like low 70s and rain.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Well we've had lows of 12 and 15 degrees (F) this week with copious amounts of snow last weekend and it's going up to the 50's this weekend? WTF Connecticut.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    We're back down to -40! Woo!

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winterizing Tips
    Winter, the season of sledding and snowmen, can be lots of fun—if you prepare in advance. Here are some tips on getting ready for the cold:
    • If your heat is turned off, remember: In a pinch you can cut open your fat spouse and sleep in his/her 98.6° abdominal cavity.
    • Use phrases like "I love you" and "You are special to me" to create warm feelings in home.
    • Check anti-freeze level if ice build-up becomes a problem in beverages.
    • Be sure to caulk all drafty orifices.
    • This winter, heat things up with "Red-Hot Friday Late-Nites" on Cinemax.
    • Encase your car battery in a warm glow of positive reinforcement by visualizing it bathed in a nurturing, healing light.
    • If absolutely necessary, it is considered acceptable to slay and eat your dogsled team.
    • Heat comes from fire; make sure your house is made of materials that burn.
    • Cover your home stereo system with weather-resistant tape—this will prevent Old Man Edgar Winter from gaining a foothold.
    • Grow thick layer of fur on body.
    • Cover tongue with special Gore-Tex sock before tasting icy metal poles.
    • Enjoy a hot beverage from time to time.
    • If flying above the Andes Mountains this winter season, bring along plenty of extra Paraguayan soccer players "just in case."
    • Plug up crevices of house with mixture of sheep dung and straw.
    • Save fatty parts of whales and seals to use as fuel.
    • Master the art of hibernation by developing an enzyme that breaks down urea and other potentially poisonous chemicals created by the body during dormancy.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    So.

We go from damn near 70 yesterday to topping out at 34 earlier this morning and now down to 29 degrees with a big storm system on the way.

Fucking Oklahoma...

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We're under a winter storm watch until Sunday night at 7pm. All ice, sleet, and freezing rain. Two days of it could be rough... we had one similar back in 1998 that did a crapload of damage all over the state.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ugh. Freezing rain is bad news.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »
    Ugh. Freezing rain is bad news.

Yup.

size0-army.mil-63543-2010-02-04-150206.jpg

Fort Sill, 2010, nasty ass freezing rain storm.