As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pet [Chat]ah

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    dear god in heaven my hip just popped with a noise like somebody hitting a melon with a hammer

that was distressing

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

oh

TEACHERS' UNIONS!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    you do need some mechanism of rationing popular schools that isn't purely distance-based, which would transfer all the rationing demand into housing prices - which the super-rich would balloon immensely

of course you should also use funding and reform to improve unpopular schools, but that still doesn't necessarily suppress popularity differentials. You would know you succeeded if you did eliminate the differentials, but there's no guarantee that you'll succeed

Yes, but a highly regressive tax (which is what these policies are, effectively) is a really shitty way of doing so. This is a case where blind sortition may actually make sense.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Lawns are weird.

The only places they make sense is where they'll basically manage themselves at a moderate length without turning into a meadow.

given british weather, i'm surprised at their apparent popularity in middle england

maintaining an appropriate level of growth and drainage etc. year-round in the typical garden size seems.... too difficult to merit grass, most of the time

Actually if you have kids or pets and haven't been tempted to lay down some kind of mutant lime green and incredibly vigorous seed strain you can pretty much ignore a lawn in UK weather. If it gets walked/played on regularly it'll never really get beyond being a bit scraggly but equally won't tend to die off.

in my brief entanglement with a grass garden up in coventry, it moved between an overgrown damp mess in summer to a miserable damp pile in winter

... it was probably not terribly well-drained

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    dear god in heaven my hip just popped with a noise like somebody hitting a melon with a hammer

that was distressing

gallagher.jpg ?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Lawns are weird.

The only places they make sense is where they'll basically manage themselves at a moderate length without turning into a meadow.

given british weather, i'm surprised at their apparent popularity in middle england

maintaining an appropriate level of growth and drainage etc. year-round in the typical garden size seems.... too difficult to merit grass, most of the time

Actually if you have kids or pets and haven't been tempted to lay down some kind of mutant lime green and incredibly vigorous seed strain you can pretty much ignore a lawn in UK weather. If it gets walked/played on regularly it'll never really get beyond being a bit scraggly but equally won't tend to die off.

in my brief entanglement with a grass garden up in coventry, it moved between an overgrown damp mess in summer to a miserable damp pile in winter

The midlands, in places, has soil so thick with clay you can shape it in your hands like plasticene.

I would not be in the least surprised if I could shape and fire a respectable pot out of the contents of the beds in the back garden here.

• Options

that was distressing

*splut splut* or *flump flump*?

• Options
    Lawns are weird.

The midlands, in places, has soil so thick with clay you can shape it in your hands like plasticene.

I would not be in the least surprised if I could shape and fire a respectable pot out of the contents of the beds in the back garden here.

That would be rather potty soil.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Be me.

Get 19/4.

Best teammate gets 4/29.
    Worst gets 1/32.

I tried.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

that was distressing

Just one slightly wet and crunchy sounding hollow pop.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

that was distressing

You may have accidentally sat in a bowl of cornflakes.

HTH

• Options

that was distressing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXYmBfcQ1ww

• Options
    Lawns are weird.

It makes growing carrots a complete pig because they get a few cm down into the bed, can't get any further because the soil is so dense, and so either start expanding sideways and ending up vaguely spherical with a woody core, or budding off seperate taproots meaning they form a kind of cluster of mini-carrots.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Another semester of Accounting done

Suck my balls, school. Suck my balls.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    you do need some mechanism of rationing popular schools that isn't purely distance-based, which would transfer all the rationing demand into housing prices - which the super-rich would balloon immensely

of course you should also use funding and reform to improve unpopular schools, but that still doesn't necessarily suppress popularity differentials. You would know you succeeded if you did eliminate the differentials, but there's no guarantee that you'll succeed

Yes, but a highly regressive tax (which is what these policies are, effectively) is a really shitty way of doing so. This is a case where blind sortition may actually make sense.

then you would get an unreasonably high number of lottery applicants from quite far away

that was the problem singapore had before it moved to the current system two decades ago IIRC, schools swamped with applicants from the other side of the island, in the optimistic thought that a commute through the city centre at 6am would be quite reasonable for the kid. And then large numbers of parents who won a better school would abruptly drop out of other school lotteries they'd also already won, etc.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    So it's all icy and shit outside so I guess I have to run on the treadmill today

Ugh ugh ugh I'm going to give up super short into it I haet u treadmill ugh

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Another semester of Accounting done

Suck my balls, school. Suck my balls.

Accounting is fun, yo.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    So it's all icy and shit outside so I guess I have to run on the treadmill today

Yeah, one thing about running in real life is you always have to at least go back as far as you went

So it's tougher to wimp out

DON'T WIMP OUT

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So had a brainworm with my earlier comments on the changing economy and basic income so I might as well continue it with ideas that have processed more. I am @ ing a bunch of people, so if you quote please remove them. This is from some of the earlier post and the discussions about the poor and such and well like I said brainworm. Like an earworm but more theory based.

@Ronya @Feral @IrondWill @Spool32 @override367 @Stevemarks44 @AngelHedgie @Elldren @shivahn @Cinders

Okay long list of @'s there. Some folks I am bugging because I like you.

So basic assumptions with this train of though, feel free to rip them up if you want.

1.Most post-industrial and many developing countries such as China are coming to the realization due to the movement of technology and its effects on production the mass use of unskilled labor is becoming less and less efficient and more expensive leading to a reduction the post industrial revolution standard entrance of the middle class through unskilled manufacturing work. Basically what we think of the US economy in the 1950's though this isn't 100% true.

2. This is leaving a glut of workers young and old who displaced in these new economies not making what we would consider a basic wage especially with the rise of what we call the service based economy. This is part of the reason we are getting wage stagnation. Not all of it, that is complex but for this assumption let's just say that the current unskilled labor work is being paid less than previous routes into the middle class.

3. This will get worse with more technology making manufacturing a more skilled semi-skilled job and there will be an increasing number of unskilled workers who will take low wage employment or unable to find employment in the marketplace. And no matter what we like to tell ourselves it isn't getting better for a lot of the college educated due to changes in the market as well.

With this in mind and the assumption there will be more people permanently out of work or looking for work if we don't change we bring in the idea of basic income. This again also requires one other change in the US, a national healthcare system to take care of something basic income I believe does not cover adequately.

This basic income does a few things:
    1.Increase the ability for the country to purchase which is incredibly important for consumer based economies which include the US, Canada, a lot of Western Europe, Japan and so on. And is China's goal.

2.The income level should be enough for an individual to have food and a roof over their head providing for the basic needs.

3.With the safety net of the guaranteed income it allows more people to remove themselves from the corporations leading a possible increase in small business and entrepreneurship.

4.Increases the ability of single income families to function. Marriage does not remove your own personal income. It also allows for a percentage based income for the children up to the age of emancipation. This last part is important, so if a kid is emancipated at say 15 due to a harsh living environment they receive the full income. Otherwise say 18? I was thinking 21.

5.Removes the current welfare system that is designed for an employment system that came around under the previous economic system which I think we are moving away from. Some are easy like medicade is gone thanks to national healthcare but stuff like SNAP though might also be removed or weakened as the income is suppose to provide enough that an individual should not need it to eat. Devil's in the details but overall should be less in welfare cost.

Some issues:
    1.Inflation. I don't think this is an issue as we think of it. But I know someone will argue it.

2.People won't work if we give them money. Not true because people want a better life and having a basic income provides a basic level of support not what I would call a high quality of life. You aren't starving, freezing or unable to provide for yourself but you also are not buying that Xbone with it.

3.Complex cost of living map of the US. This is a detail that should be worked out for distribution and total. A median basic income in NYC would be middle class in butt fuck Mississippi.

Conclusion(Holy shit this got long, maybe I should just change this to a bigger post as an op or something).

At this point with the changes in the economy and how it is shifting I think we should be moving towards a more basic income style system not so much what we see as a traditional welfare system. Along with this comes the acceptance that our economy has radically changed and we cannot go back to the time where an unskilled worker will be able to move into the middle class without either help or by developing in demand skills in a economy with a shrinking demand for labor as technology and productivity of that technology alter it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Lawns are weird.

It makes growing carrots a complete pig because they get a few cm down into the bed, can't get any further because the soil is so dense, and so either start expanding sideways and ending up vaguely spherical with a woody core, or budding off seperate taproots meaning they form a kind of cluster of mini-carrots.

So...a Garden Weasel is out of the question then?

You might want to look into making an aboveground square foot garden.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ugh, why do I
    1. have so many games
    2. don't want to play any of them
    3. want to buy more games

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Yeah, one thing about running in real life is you always have to at least go back as far as you went

So it's tougher to wimp out

DON'T WIMP OUT

Also it's hot and gross and boring and I can't naturally adjust my speed

• Options
    Ugh, why do I
    1. have so many games
    youre a marketing dept's dream

• Options
    Ugh, why do I
    1. have so many games

No i'm not.

Marketing Depts would love me if i wrote down the answers to those questions.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Ugh, why do I
    1. have so many games

No i'm not.

nah, she's saying they don't have to work very hard to get you to buy something

• Options
    Lawns are weird.

So...a Garden Weasel is out of the question then?

You might want to look into making an aboveground square foot garden.

The clay is good for heavy cropping and it holds a lot of water, but things that want to drive deep into the soil will struggle. It should improve as the beds get turned over more regularly and compost gets worked in. I did look at the square foot thing, but it seems to only really be useful for terribly infertile soil, and seems to require shitloads of compost.

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    Ugh, why do I
    1. have so many games

No i'm not.

nah, she's saying they don't have to work very hard to get you to buy something

One more sale ain't much, yo.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So had a brainworm with my earlier comments on the changing economy and basic income so I might as well continue it with ideas that have processed more. I am @ ing a bunch of people, so if you quote please remove them. This is from some of the earlier post and the discussions about the poor and such and well like I said brainworm. Like an earworm but more theory based.

So basic assumptions with this train of though, feel free to rip them up if you want.

1.Most post-industrial and many developing countries such as China are coming to the realization due to the movement of technology and its effects on production the mass use of unskilled labor is becoming less and less efficient and more expensive leading to a reduction the post industrial revolution standard entrance of the middle class through unskilled manufacturing work. Basically what we think of the US economy in the 1950's though this isn't 100% true.

2. This is leaving a glut of workers young and old who displaced in these new economies not making what we would consider a basic wage especially with the rise of what we call the service based economy. This is part of the reason we are getting wage stagnation. Not all of it, that is complex but for this assumption let's just say that the current unskilled labor work is being paid less than previous routes into the middle class.

3. This will get worse with more technology making manufacturing a more skilled semi-skilled job and there will be an increasing number of unskilled workers who will take low wage employment or unable to find employment in the marketplace. And no matter what we like to tell ourselves it isn't getting better for a lot of the college educated due to changes in the market as well.

With this in mind and the assumption there will be more people permanently out of work or looking for work if we don't change we bring in the idea of basic income. This again also requires one other change in the US, a national healthcare system to take care of something basic income I believe does not cover adequately.

1.Increase the ability for the country to purchase which is incredibly important for consumer based economies which include the US, Canada, a lot of Western Europe, Japan and so on. And is China's goal.

2.The income level should be enough for an individual to have food and a roof over their head providing for the basic needs.

3.With the safety net of the guaranteed income it allows more people to remove themselves from the corporations leading a possible increase in small business and entrepreneurship.

4.Increases the ability of single income families to function. Marriage does not remove your own personal income. It also allows for a percentage based income for the children up to the age of emancipation. This last part is important, so if a kid is emancipated at say 15 due to a harsh living environment they receive the full income. Otherwise say 18? I was thinking 21.

5.Removes the current welfare system that is designed for an employment system that came around under the previous economic system which I think we are moving away from. Some are easy like medicade is gone thanks to national healthcare but stuff like SNAP though might also be removed or weakened as the income is suppose to provide enough that an individual should not need it to eat. Devil's in the details but overall should be less in welfare cost.

Some issues:
    1.Inflation. I don't think this is an issue as we think of it. But I know someone will argue it.

2.People won't work if we give them money. Not true because people want a better life and having a basic income provides a basic level of support not what I would call a high quality of life. You aren't starving, freezing or unable to provide for yourself but you also are not buying that Xbone with it.

3.Complex cost of living map of the US. This is a detail that should be worked out for distribution and total. A median basic income in NYC would be middle class in butt fuck Mississippi.

Conclusion(Holy shit this got long, maybe I should just change this to a bigger post as an op or something).

At this point with the changes in the economy and how it is shifting I think we should be moving towards a more basic income style system not so much what we see as a traditional welfare system. Along with this comes the acceptance that our economy has radically changed and we cannot go back to the time where an unskilled worker will be able to move into the middle class without either help or by developing in demand skills in a economy with a shrinking demand for labor as technology and productivity of that technology alter it.

goals #1 and #2 are problematic. it is questionable that you increase consumption at all, it is questionable that you increase domestic consumption at all, it is questionable that either is obviously desirable. #2 forgets that costs of living have intrinsic material-welfare values; places have high CoLs because they are appealing to live in.

#1 and #3 are somewhat contradictory (national consumption and national investment need to add up...). #4 is probably in reverse - I think it would favour marriage, due to inherent stability of young male (basic) income.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    g0db99909.jpg

They will make you realize you are a selfish asshole, incapable of empathy, insufferable to live with, you have unrealistic sexual expectations, unachievable standards, and irreparable emotional retardation.

#FacebookPics

like if u cry evry tiem

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The steam machines hardware beta started and 300 people were chosen. At the last minute Valve had to limit the thing to US only due to international electrical certifications.

Some people were not so happy about this.
    I have over 180 games currently in my steam account plus humble bundle unactivated games probalby over 200

I've dumped hundreds in here and was very exited over Steam Machines but now you've cut everyone off, enjoy your US only ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s.

♥♥♥♥ you, not buying another from the steam store for atleast the next year.

You'll be lucky if I even open a game from here, think It's time I take my steam machines savings and shove them into a PS4.

Atleast they don't restrict things like this to one country, ♥♥♥♥ing ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    So I now sell dog jackets pockets sewn on. For the dog who needs a place for his iPhone. Also dog ornaments. Yayyy

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    I like using hearts to cover up swearing

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

@Ronya @Feral @IrondWill @Spool32 @override367 @Stevemarks44 @AngelHedgie @Elldren @shivahn @Cinders

Some issues:

How would you feel about using this basic income as a carrot for civil service. It's not really something that I've researched but 2-4 year compulsory civil service is something that feels like a good thing to me, we could use this as an incentive so that it's not really compulsory but only the exceptionally privileged would avoid it.

My main issue is we'd probably end up solidifying our current immigrant underclass.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    TehSloth wrote: »
    How would you feel about using this basic income as a carrot for civil service. It's not really something that I've researched but 2-4 year compulsory civil service is something that feels like a good thing to me, we could use this as an incentive so that it's not really compulsory but only the exceptionally privileged would avoid it.

My main issue is we'd probably end up solidifying our current immigrant underclass.

you totally missed the point of the thesis, which is that we have genuinely run out of things for the unskilled to do

so what civil service would you possibly ask them to do

can't even cut grass or pick up litter, it would be far less disruptive to just rely on professionals with equipment

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Fallout 4 will supposedly have the player character be voice acted. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

Some issues:

Don't take this the wrong way but I am more interested in your conclusions than everything else. You spent a very long time explaining the background which is not necessary for anyone to whom your conclusions are directed as it is both obvious and known. Accepted? Maybe not but that is a different point. Given what you observe what do you think, or propose?

Let us hear more your own thoughts and why, as I'm sure they would be interesting.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

you totally missed the point of the thesis, which is that we have genuinely run out of things for the unskilled to do

can't even cut grass or pick up litter, it would be far less disruptive to just rely on professionals with equipment

I was thinking like, road maintenance, postal delivery, etc. but those are also things that will probably just be phased out for automation by that point.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Delete your @s people

• Options
    edited December 2013

I was thinking like, road maintenance, postal delivery, etc. but those are also things that will probably just be phased out for automation by that point.

both again done by professionals, yeah

road maintenance with equipment, operated by employees reliable enough to not skip tedious steps

postal delivery done by employees who can be relied on not to flake out and then hoard weeks of mail in their house

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I don't disagree with any of that. I've been a fan of minimum income since I learned about the mincome experiment.

This discussion has been closed.