As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Phalla]er's Dilemma - Game Over.

MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Critical Failures
The Phallaer's Dilemma
A MrBlarney Abomination

The Phallaer's Dilemma is an abstract strategic mini-Phalla game focused around a classic game theory scenario, the Prisoner's Dilemma. That's all there is to say about that.

Genre: Multi-Dimensional Factional; Prisoner's Dilemma

Player Roles
Each player is assigned the role of a card, each of which has a picture containing a set of three features:

- Number (one, two, or three)
- Color (red, blue, or green)
- Shape (triangle, square, or circle)

The cards:
1rt.gif1rs.gif1rc.gif1bt.gif1bs.gif1bc.gif1gt.gif1gs.gif1gc.gif
2rt.gif2rs.gif2rc.gif2bt.gif2bs.gif2bc.gif2gt.gif2gs.gif2gc.gif
3rt.gif3rs.gif3rc.gif3bt.gif3bs.gif3bc.gif3gt.gif3gs.gif3gc.gif

Each card is unique, and all possible combinations are represented; therefore, there will be 27 cards and players.

The Prisoner's Dilemma - General Overview
The prisoner's dilemma is a two-player game from the world of game theory. Each player privately selects one of two actions: Cooperate or Defect. If both players reveal a Cooperate, they each receive five points. If both players reveal a Defect, they each receive three points. However, if one player plays a Cooperate while the other plays a Defect, then the player who played Defect receives seven points, while the player who played Cooperate only receives one point. A table below summarizes the outcomes:
phallaersdilemma.gif

Note that while collectively, the players do better in mutual Cooperation than they do in mutual Defection, individually, a player does better for themselves by Defecting, no matter whether their opponent has chosen to Cooperate or Defect.

The Phallaer's Dilemma - Game Mechanic
Each game day, each player will play the Prisoner's Dilemma with all other players, entering their orders via a Google Form linked in each day's results. On the form, players will need to type in their username and a specific code name given in their role PM and, for each other player, whether they will Cooperate or Defect. If a player leaves a matchup blank, then they will receive no points for the match, but their opponent will still score points as though a Cooperate action was played. In addition, at the end of the form, players will be allowed to specify which other player they wish to eliminate and may specify the use of any special abilities. Players may submit the form multiple times; only the last submission made before the vote close will count.

Once all matches have been resolved, each player's score across matches for that day are tallied into a total score. Scores from previous days are not counted. The player who receives the lowest score will be eliminated from the game. In the case of a tie for lowest score, then the player who performed the most Defections will be eliminated; if there remains a tie, then the player who made the latest submission will be eliminated. In addition, the player who receives the highest score will have the player specified on their form submission eliminated from the game. In the case of a tie for highest score, then the player who made the most Cooperations will be given their pick; if there remains a tie, then the player who made the earliest submission will get their choice.

Game days 1 and 2 will eliminate the two players with the lowest scores and enact the choices of the players with the two highest scores. After that, only the single highest and single lowest scores will be followed as described above.

Daily Vote
Each game day, all players also get a vote on who to eliminate from the game directly, indicating that player's name in bold red, posting "!vote for <player name>" or similar phrase. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. At the end of each game day, the player receiving the most votes will be eliminated; in the case of a tie between two or more players, the player who reached the tied value first will be eliminated.

Voting will normally close each day at 8PM PST / 11PM EST / 4AM UTC; any actions before the hour (x:59) will count, any actions on the hour and later (x:00) will not. However, if a player votes within five minutes of the vote close, the close time will extend to five minutes after that player votes. All votes and actions will count up to the new, revised close time. Each player may make only one vote and one action after the normal vote close: any further revisions will not count. The close time can be extended multiple times if different players make revisions during the bonus period.

Example: If I vote at x:58, then the vote close will be extended such that actions made at x:03 of the next hour or earlier will count; actions made at x:04 or later will not. If someone makes a vote before x:03, the vote close will be extended to five minutes after their vote; I can make only one change in vote and action during the whole extended period.

For the purposes of action order, eliminations due to lowest score are resolved first, followed by highest score choice, and finally vote judgment.

Special Abilities
Each player has three one-time abilities they may use. Ability 1: Target one player, learning whether they Cooperated or Defected in their matchup with you. Ability 2: Target one player; the point value of your matchup with that player will be worth double for the day (for both players). (If two players mutually use the ability, the effects do not stack, i.e. the matchup will still be worth double and not quadruple.) Ability 3: Your vote is worth two votes for the day. Use of a special ability may be specified on the daily Google Form; only one ability may be used each day.

Daily Information
Information revealed about players after their deaths will be limited. You will not be told their individual cards, their total score from the day's matches, nor the method of elimination. What you will be told is the collected distribution of attributes among those eliminated, i.e. how many reds, blues, and greens were eliminated, etc. Privately, each player will receive their total score summed over all matchups. However, you will not learn the result of any individual matchup (unless an appropriate special ability is used). No information about player scores will be revealed publicly.

Win Conditions
Every player has four different win conditions; only one needs to be satisfied to claim victory:

- All remaining players share the same number.
- All remaining players share the same color.
- All remaining players share the same shape.
- All remaining players share no common number, color, or shape between any of them.

What this means is that you can win with any other player in the game, though it may be harder to win with some players than others. It also means that you can't trust anyone completely since they also have objectives that won't include you being around to celebrate. Any two players may win together; it is not the case that any three players may win together.

Signing Up
Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged. This game has a maximum player limit of 27.

Inactivity
It is expected that players vote and submit their Prisoner's Dilemma choices each day to be considered sufficiently active. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day of inactivity overall. If there are no replacements available, then the player will be eliminated from the game.

Clarifications
Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM. Please note that there may be mechanics or details which will not be answered and kept hidden until the end of the game.

Other Rules
Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots and direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game.

If any players create "proboards" for private communication, please send a link for it to the host.

Questions and Answers
Q: Does the vote trickle?
A: No. If whomever has the most votes (after accounting for abilities) is eliminated before the vote kill is tallied, no player will be eliminated by that means.

Q: Are there any roles with special abilities beyond those specified in the OP?
A: Clarification denied.

Q: Is there a mafia?
A: There is no traditional minority faction in this game.

Q: Do special abilities target by usernames or by cards?
A: Abilities that target other players are performed on the basis of username and not card composition.

Player List
Alegis
Cythraul
discrider
Egos
jdarksun
Langly
Locus
Megafrost
MrTLicious
Phyphor
premium
SLyM

Reserve Players:
Zombie Hero
ObiFett
vagrant_winds
Ketbra

Eliminated Round 1
enlightenedbum
Rend
The Anonymous
undergroundmonorail

Eliminated Round 2
Grunt's Ghosts
Invictus
Mikey CTS

Eliminated Round 3
Hippie
kime

Eliminated Round 4
Bedlam
CesareB
vertroue

Eliminated Round 5
Preda
Smasher
Spoit

Game Links

Start of Round 1
Start of Round 2
Start of Round 3
Start of Round 4
Start of Round 5
Start of Round 6
Conclusion

Post-Mortem

4463rwiq7r47.png
MrBlarney on

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    doo doo doo

• Options
    Egos wrote: »
    I ,Egos, sign up

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm in

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Interesting

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Hey, I got an @

Phyphor on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    I would like to sign up please.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I always sign up for Set

• Options
    Does the vote trickle?

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I AM HERE I SIGN UP I SIGN I SIGN UP

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Are there any roles with special abilities beyond those specified in the OP?

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Does the vote trickle?
    No. If whomever has the most votes (after accounting for abilities) is eliminated before the vote kill is tallied, no player will be eliminated by that means.
    Invictus wrote: »
    Are there any roles with special abilities beyond those specified in the OP?
    Clarification denied.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    It was worth a shot. There's a way of reading the OP where this is an open setup game.

• Options
    Suppose the following scenario occurs, all times EST. Person A puts in a vote at 10:58. Person B puts in a vote at 11:00, Person C puts in a vote at 11:04, Person A revises their vote at 11:07, and Person B revises their vote at 11:10. When does vote close? Do all the votes count?

• Options
    I've made a minor edit to the Player Roles section, the last sentence that was there has been removed - it was from a different game design using the Set Phalla framework and should be ignored/forgotten. (Though I may run that at a future date...)

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I've made a minor edit to the Player Roles section, the last sentence that was there has been removed - it was from a different game design using the Set Phalla framework and should be ignored/forgotten. (Though I may run that at a future date...)

Was that the line about some people having powers?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Suppose the following scenario occurs, all times EST. Person A puts in a vote at 10:58. Person B puts in a vote at 11:00, Person C puts in a vote at 11:04, Person A revises their vote at 11:07, and Person B revises their vote at 11:10. When does vote close? Do all the votes count?
    Working through the example:
    Person A votes at 10:58 - this extends the vote close time to 11:03.
    Person B votes at 11:00 - since the vote has been extended, this vote counts, and since this is Person B's first vote in the extension period, the vote close time is extended to 11:05. (Any further votes from Person B will NOT count.)
    Person C votes at 11:04 - since the vote has been extended further, this vote counts, and since this is Person C's first vote in the extension period, the vote close time is extended to 11:09. (Any further votes from Person C will NOT count.)
    Person A votes at 11:07 - since the vote has been extended further, this vote counts, and since this is Person A's first vote in the extension period, the vote close time is extended to 11:12. (Any further votes from Person A will NOT count.)
    Person B votes at 11:10 - since Person B has already voted in the extension period (at 11:00), their vote does NOT count and the vote period is not extended.

MrBlarney wrote: »
    Was that the line about some people having powers?
    I don't know what you're talking about. :|

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    how could i resist

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    Okay, good. I had a lot of questions about the setup, and decided an example would be best for it. What matters for the "only one vote in the extension period" rule is when original vote close is, right? so if someone votes at 10:58, then I vote at 10:59, I still have a vote after 11:00, even though the vote period has been extended before I voted?

• Options
    Okay, good. I had a lot of questions about the setup, and decided an example would be best for it. What matters for the "only one vote in the extension period" rule is when original vote close is, right? so if someone votes at 10:58, then I vote at 10:59, I still have a vote after 11:00, even though the vote period has been extended before I voted?
    Yes.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Good, great, thanks so much for prompt answers.

• Options
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    Do special abilities target by usernames or by cards?

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    Do special abilities target by usernames or by cards?
    Abilities that target other players are performed on the basis of username and not card composition.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    No summons for me?

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Ok

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    My vast experience as a prisoner will serve me well here, I think

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    I'm In

• Options
    How much of the scores & ranking is going to be public info?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Also, looking for ~3 others for Uninfiltrated Random Pre-Game Hitsquad

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Actually, is there a mafia?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    How much of the scores & ranking is going to be public info?
    None of it.
    Actually, is there a mafia?
    Only if you consider your fellow players as such.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Well, obviously

• Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    Oh, this looks FUN.

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    I haven't played a Phalla in a while, like playing Set, and find this a very intriguing setup, so I would like to subscribe to your newsletter Phalla.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qjK3TWZE8

(this is not a signup post)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    cute pug ,Inantp

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    YES YES YES

My favorite role(s) I have ever made in any of my games (The Rule of Two Sith) was based on Prisoner's Dilemma. SO PUMPED for a game full of it.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Phone quick pretend this is lime green