As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] My movie theater is better than yours sometimes but has more screens.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Welp, looks like Im looking for a new job.

Thank you EASL

So very sorry. I hope everything turns out ok. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So, there's apparently some rumors coming out that Microsoft will release a $399 Xbox.

"Cool," you say "Finally I don't have to buy that kinect."

Hold on there, padre. There's nothing in the rumor about it not having kinect. It be the BLU-RAY drive that Microsoft is going to make walk the plank.

Personally, if that's accurate, I can't believe they won't just toss the Kinect as well and put out a $350 or $300 box at that point.

Oops, forgot the source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131811-Rumor-Titanfall-Limited-Edition-399-Disc-Free-Xbox-Ones-Coming-Soon?utm_reader=feedly

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

Thank you EASL

:( That sucks.
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »

Thank you EASL

You were at EA Salt Lake? I know some people there.

Yeah I was. I worked on TS4 as well as mobile side. I was taken off mobile and placed on TS4 to finish crunch time.

Kinda wish they kept me on mobile.

Oh yeah... speaking of EA Mobile... this crime against humanity just came out recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21dF3itVFc

hatedeath_det_medium.jpeg%3F100345

Every time I see that EA F2P Dungeon Keeper, a little part of what is left of my soul dies.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    So, there's apparently some rumors coming out that Microsoft will release a $399 Xbox.

Hold on there, padre. There's nothing in the rumor about it not having kinect. It be the BLU-RAY drive that Microsoft is going to make walk the plank.

Personally, if that's accurate, I can't believe they won't just toss the Kinect as well and put out a $350 or $300 box at that point.

Oops, forgot the source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131811-Rumor-Titanfall-Limited-Edition-399-Disc-Free-Xbox-Ones-Coming-Soon?utm_reader=feedly

That news came out last night along with a whole bunch of other leaked information about Microsoft's plans for the year. No idea whether it's true or not but they did have pictures of a Titanfall themed console and I saw on article on Kotaku saying Microsoft is looking for the person so something must be up.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Thank you EASL

:( That sucks.
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »

Thank you EASL

You were at EA Salt Lake? I know some people there.

Yeah I was. I worked on TS4 as well as mobile side. I was taken off mobile and placed on TS4 to finish crunch time.

Kinda wish they kept me on mobile.

Oh yeah... speaking of EA Mobile... this crime against humanity just came out recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21dF3itVFc

hatedeath_det_medium.jpeg%3F100345

Every time I see that EA F2P Dungeon Keeper, a little part of what is left of my soul dies.

Not familiar with the game. Anything wrong with it besides EA brand microtransactions?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

But tossing the Kinect would ruin their marketing plans.

The ones where you have to mime eating a pizza to pass the pizza commercial minigame to play something else.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Ardent wrote: »

But tossing the Kinect would ruin their marketing plans.

The ones where you have to mime eating a pizza to pass the pizza commercial minigame to play something else.

Except you already don't need to have the Kinect on, or even hooked up anymore. That future died already, all that's left is to put a stake through it's heart so it doesn't rise again.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

So it'd be all-digital?

Shit, if I had a reason to buy a XBOne, that'd be the one I'd get.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    5-10 games downloaded at any given time? Nah I'll pass. :P

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Microsoft cutting the Blu-Ray on a model of the Xbox would be kinda nutty. Blu-Ray movies are a thing people buy and want to watch.

Maybe they're trying to cut out their cost to Sony since Sony partially owns the BR tech.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Microsoft cutting the Blu-Ray on a model of the Xbox would be kinda nutty. Blu-Ray movies are a thing people buy and want to watch.

Maybe they're trying to cut out their cost to Sony since Sony partially owns the BR tech.
    Not really a big deal. If you're the type of person who watches Blu-rays then you'll just buy the model that can play them. If you're not then you can save a couple bucks.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

So it'd be all-digital?

Problem with all digital is that you are then 100% at the mercy of the LIVE store. Any sales out in the wild/ on Amazon? NOT FOR YOU. Heck, you can't even pop a Blu Ray in there to give it a watch, so renting a movie from most places is out, you'll need to go with the LIVE movie store or Netflix or something.

• Options
    Doesn't Amazon sell digital codes for Xbox and Playstation games, like they do with Steam?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Doesn't Amazon sell digital codes for Xbox and Playstation games, like they do with Steam?

Just checked. Gonna say no. The best you could do is find a deal on Xbox store cash cards.

• Options

So it'd be all-digital?

Problem with all digital is that you are then 100% at the mercy of the LIVE store. Any sales out in the wild/ on Amazon? NOT FOR YOU. Heck, you can't even pop a Blu Ray in there to give it a watch, so renting a movie from most places is out, you'll need to go with the LIVE movie store or Netflix or something.

That could be part of the point.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

Just checked. Gonna say no. The best you could do is find a deal on Xbox store cash cards.

They used to, but stopped a year or two ago. Probably became either harder to get codes from Microsoft, or less profitable to resell them.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

So it'd be all-digital?

That could be part of the point.

Yeah, the BR drives probably don't cost $100 per console but they would get more money for every game sold by cutting out retailers and having way more control over the prices.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm ok with the idea as an option for people who know what they're getting into. Personally speaking though, the price I'd have to pay dealing with the logistics behind a discless console isn't worth $100.

Of course, fear the inevitable problem where the ignorant masses buy a console, then get mad that they can't play any discs that they bought. And then Sony would just have to play up the narrative that, for the same price you can get a console that isn't saddled with all that bullshit.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Phone's will eventually make the full transition to

Movie stores still exist where you're from? Lucky.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Doesn't cutting the disc drive instead of the useless Kinect fly directly in the face of their whole ONE media device to rule them all design for the system itself?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Why would they cut out the Kinect? You release a Kinect-less model and you've ended any chance of any doing anything with the damn thing.

The only way Kinect ends up going anywhere for MS is for them to slap it on every X1. Anything else is fucking stupid on their part since it destroys any chance of the investment paying off.

Why? Anyone who would actually cares about Blu-ray movies almost certainly already has a player before they get the X1. Like the Wii and DVDs. It's a good thing to have but probably not essential and this lets them test out the all digital console thing we already know they were after from the start.

shryke on
  • Options
    Like I said, they already slew that chance when they made you able to take the Kinect, toss it in a box, and never look at it again.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Like I said, they already slew that chance when they made you able to take the Kinect, toss it in a box, and never look at it again.

No they didn't. Each X1 still has a Kinect so anything you design for the X1, you can design with the Kinect in mind because everyone has one. Even if they have it stored in a bin somewhere, it exists and so your game can rely on it.

That you can turn the thing off or unhook it doesn't mean shit. You've still got it and you'll dig it out if you need to.

shryke on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

No they didn't. Each X1 still has a Kinect so anything you design for the X1, you can design with the Kinect in mind because everyone has one. Even if they have it stored in a bin somewhere, it exists and so your game can rely on it.

That you can turn the thing off or unhook it doesn't mean shit. You've still got it and you'll dig it out if you need to.

That's kind of what I think about BC. If you've got the game, you've also still got the machine that can play it.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

They do with Playstation games, you can buy any retail or digital game via a digital code on Amazon. Sony struck a partnership with them at the PS4 launch and have their own storefront on Amazon now.

• Options

Why would you need to? If you don't like Kinect to that extent why would you buy a game that made heavy use of it?

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    If you were a retailer, would you sell a diskless XB1?

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    They have to have metrics on what percentage of users have the Kinect hooked up. If in 3 years it's like only 60% of people are even bothering plugging it in you're not going to see many games developed for it.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

That's kind of what I think about BC. If you've got the game, you've also still got the machine that can play it.

Consoles sometimes break

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Why would you need to? If you don't like Kinect to that extent why would you buy a game that made heavy use of it?

Because you like the game.

And the company that made the game knew they could rely on Kinect in their design because every user has one.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

urahonky wrote: »

This is my big problem with all digital on consoles, they just don't come with the memory to do it. Even if you replace their hard drive (which you shouldn't have to spend money to do if they are pushing all digital in the first place) you are still at the mercy of a much more limited amount of space compared to a PC gamer using all digital. This is an even bigger issue considering the amount of space the next gen games are using.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

This is my big problem with all digital on consoles, they just don't come with the memory to do it. Even if you replace their hard drive (which you shouldn't have to spend money to do if they are pushing all digital in the first place) you are still at the mercy of a much more limited amount of space compared to a PC gamer using all digital. This is an even bigger issue considering the amount of space the next gen games are using.

This right here, a lot of the digital downloads are like, 40-50gbs aren't they? Couple that with how difficult it is to swap the xb1's HD from what I recall makes this not a very value added proposition imo.

• Options
    edited January 2014

And the company that made the game knew they could rely on Kinect in their design because every user has one.

But if you really dislike Kinect, why would you like game that made heavy use of the thing you don't like?

There are a whole lot of people who were totally turned off by skyward swords motion controls that were huge Zelda fans but didn't buy that installment because of the motion controls.

Nintendo even admitted they realize this was the majority opinion and that they won't let that happen in the next installment.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »

is it really any different than selling a DVD/Blu-Ray player? or a TV? or a Stereo/Hi-Fi system? why is it that games consoles are looked upon as being different from just about every other type of consumer electronics? games consoles don't need to be sold in specialist stores that cater only to that market.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Doesn't cutting the disc drive instead of the useless Kinect fly directly in the face of their whole ONE media device to rule them all design for the system itself?

Yes.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

is it really any different than selling a DVD/Blu-Ray player? or a TV? or a Stereo/Hi-Fi system? why is it that games consoles are looked upon as being different from just about every other type of consumer electronics? games consoles don't need to be sold in specialist stores that cater only to that market.

You misunderstood, if your business is primarily selling games then selling a console where you can't sell the media for it seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

• Options
    edited January 2014

But if you really dislike Kinect, why would you like game that made heavy use of the thing you don't like?

There are a whole lot of people who were totally turned off by skyward swords motion controls that were huge Zelda fans but didn't buy that installment because of the motion controls.

Nintendo even admitted they realize this was the majority opinion and that they won't let that happen in the next installment.

Because you like the game. Maybe despite the Kinect and maybe not. It doesn't have to make heavy use of it at all. It could be as simple as some occasionally used voice commands built in to the thing. It just has to use it.

But if MS can't guarantee you have a kinect, then developers won't ever even try. (unless MS moneyhats them to do so) And that means the Kinect would die. It's life as a gaming peripheral would be over.

That's why MS won't release a Kinect-less X1 while they still want to make the Kinect work. When it finally happens, that's when you'll know they've given up on the old bird completely. But that time is most definitely not now.

shryke on
  • Options

Wait really? It was actually a majority who disliked the motion controls in that game? Is there a link for that?

Exactly and the moment that Sony didn't do the same thing packing in the camera meant that 3rd party multiplatform games have surely relegated Kinect to the "gimmick" feature list that doesn't do anything significant (see Tomb Raiders hilariously bad use of it).

• Options

Yes.

Only if you think playing DVDs/Blurays is a major component of being a media altar. Which is not necessarily true.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Wraith260 wrote: »

You misunderstood, if your business is primarily selling games then selling a console where you can't sell the media for it seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

which is a problem for a very specific sub-set of retailers, i'll agree. but ultimately, MS would have no problem finding places willing to sell a digital only console. and as both MS and Sony make a slow, steady march* towards being all digital, those retailers are going to have to drastically change their business model soon or face going the way of Blockbuster.

*ok, so MS tried to sprint but we all know how that one turned out.

Wraith260 on
This discussion has been closed.