Options

Videogames Are Alright [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Soul Sacrifice would have been a perfectly serviceable Monster Hunter-esque game.

But then you add the shockingly well delivered narrative on top and it becomes something really special.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    i liked the stanley parable a whole bunch, but i think it's got 2 big problems

-they did a great job with having the narrator dynamically react to you, but the problem is that once you set the expectation that he's going to dynamically react to me, it's always going to disappoint me when I find something he doesn't react to, like loitering around after he opens the door in the freedom ending. no matter how much they actually do there's always going to be something they don't or can't account for and it's always gonna mess up the intended experience when i find it, however briefly

-i feel like it's a few years past due, which is maybe unfair considering the original version of it came out a few years ago. but like, it is funny and clever and comments on how game narratives work in fun and interesting ways, but it's also not really saying anything all that new. like, yeah, interactive fiction inherently creates a tension between the creator and the audience vying for control of the narrative. So... what? i feel like we're past the point where deconstructing video game narratives is interesting or useful. MGS 2 came out like a decade ago, mang. I'd rather see games like Walking Dead or Kentucky Route Zero, that manage to make interesting uses of the characteristics of game narratives, instead of stuff that just points them out and laughs at them. That said though the jokes were still good enough that I still had a lot of fun with the game.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    has mike "mike 't4ct' blais" blais played the stanley parable yet

What's that

I'll tell you about it some time

• Options
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    UV's Top 10 of 2013

1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    2. Tomb Raider
    3. DmC: Devil may Cry
    4. Lego Marvel Super Heroes
    5. Guacamelee
    6. Rayman Legends
    7. Pokemon X/Y
    8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    9. Grand Theft Auto V
    10. Lego City Undercover

Things about my list

- Three exclusives, and all from Nintendo
    - Two Lego games
    - Two handheld games, four if you count Guacamelee and Rayman Legends which have identical Vita versions to their PS3 counterparts. This is up from pretty much zero in past years' lists.
    - Only one downloadable game. Last year I had five and five retail. Retail ruled this year for me.
    - Holy shit a goddamn Assassin's Creed game took my top spot when I had nearly written the franchise completely off

By platform:

PS3: 7
    PC: 6
    360: 6
    Wii U: 4
    PS4: 2
    Xbox One: 2
    3DS: 2
    Vita: 2

By quarter:

Q1: 3
    Q2: 1
    Q3: 2
    Q4: 4

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I apparently am still subscribed to let me tell ya about video games

So maybe you should tell Mike Blais about video games.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Seems like the big games this year were games that seemed really good but I just wasn't interested in playing them because I don't really feel like playing actiony games right now (TR, tlou, AC:BF, gta). Or they were more narrative games like gone home and Stanley which I also didn't feel like playing. Or I really wanted to play them but I don't own the Nintendo hardware (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and maybe fire emblem).

So yeah I pretty much stuck to Starcraft civ5 and xcom expansions and skyrim dlc.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Totally forgot about Guacamelee, haven't even played that yet.

I have that one on PC though so I wouldn't technically be adding another Vita title to my running.

• Options
    Guacamelee is so good

After playing it on a big screen though, I couldn't handle playing it on a Vita

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Opty wrote: »
    My 2013 GOTY list is the following:
    3DS Mii Plaza Monster Manor
    3DS Mii Plaza Flower Town
    3DS Mii Plaza Mii Force
    3DS Mii Plaza Warrior's Way

Those are literally the only games released in 2013 that I've played.

So you're saying you have a 3DS but have neither Zelda nor Fire Emblem

For shame

I have Fire Emblem (25% off, only bought due to worries about scarsity) but not Zelda. Also from this year I have Luigi's Mansion (free with console), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (75% off, crazy Best Buy deal), Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (50% off, same Best Buy deal) and Pokemon Y (gift).

Buuut I have a few more DS games to finish (Black 2, Layton 4) and other 3DS games from previous years (Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Layton 5) to play before getting to those. And that's ignoring the backlogs I have on the home consoles and PC. The only reason I got the Mii Plaza games is because my wife wanted me to and not playing them doesn't make any sense due to how streetpasses work.

Opty on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    mike blais plays one video game right now and it's league of legends

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    yesterday i taught a baby to play league of legends

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Who was the baby's main

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Did you report their mother for feeding?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

-they did a great job with having the narrator dynamically react to you, but the problem is that once you set the expectation that he's going to dynamically react to me, it's always going to disappoint me when I find something he doesn't react to, like loitering around after he opens the door in the freedom ending. no matter how much they actually do there's always going to be something they don't or can't account for and it's always gonna mess up the intended experience when i find it, however briefly

-i feel like it's a few years past due, which is maybe unfair considering the original version of it came out a few years ago. but like, it is funny and clever and comments on how game narratives work in fun and interesting ways, but it's also not really saying anything all that new. like, yeah, interactive fiction inherently creates a tension between the creator and the audience vying for control of the narrative. So... what? i feel like we're past the point where deconstructing video game narratives is interesting or useful. MGS 2 came out like a decade ago, mang. I'd rather see games like Walking Dead or Kentucky Route Zero, that manage to make interesting uses of the characteristics of game narratives, instead of stuff that just points them out and laughs at them. That said though the jokes were still good enough that I still had a lot of fun with the game.

Eh, I don't really feel the Stanley Parable needs, or necessarily was trying, to make a statement about video game narratives.

To me, all of the jokes about weirdness in video game narratives were pretty good natured, and not really critical of the things they were lampooning. The whole game had a tone of "this stuff is silly, extremely so sometimes, but that's ok". I think it was more about finding ways to surprise and make players laugh by subverting their expectations than looking at the tropes associated with interactive narratives in a critical light.

Maybe if every ending was similar in tone to the "hit the on switch at the end" one it would feel more critical to me, but even then, the things that ending has to say could apply to non-interactive stories just as easily.

Regardless, Stanley Parable was a lot of fun, and made me call a person that isn't real some very mean names at different points.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    shitty video explaining 868-hack incoming

• Options
    edited December 2013
    turtleant wrote: »

Eh, I don't really feel the Stanley Parable needs, or necessarily was trying, to make a statement about video game narratives.

To me, all of the jokes about weirdness in video game narratives were pretty good natured, and not really critical of the things they were lampooning. The whole game had a tone of "this stuff is silly, extremely so sometimes, but that's ok". I think it was more about finding ways to surprise and make players laugh by subverting their expectations than looking at the tropes associated with interactive narratives in a critical light.

Maybe if every ending was similar in tone to the "hit the on switch at the end" one it would feel more critical to me, but even then, the things that ending has to say could apply to non-interactive stories just as easily.

Regardless, Stanley Parable was a lot of fun, and made me call a person that isn't real some very mean names at different points.

The criticism is delivered in the form of good-natured ribbing (for the most part), but it's still criticism

The countdown, apartment, insanity, and museum endings all slam game narratives in different ways pretty hard, and most of the endings that celebrate choice in games or game narratives do so sarcastically (the freedom, "real person," Heaven, and art endings, for instance).

Its comedy first and commentary second, but the commentary is still very much there.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    mike blais plays one video game right now and it's league of legends

Everything about you disgusts me

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    how do you know so much about mike blais, t4ct

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    if I went by hours played my GOTY list would be

1. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC)
    2. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (PC)
    3. League of Legends (PC)
    4. Civizilation 4: Beyond the Sword (PC)

the rest of them got their playthrough I guess

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: "A vast and videoless channel on YouTube
    Stands in my bookmarks folder. Near it on a banner,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
    And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
    Tell that its photoshopper well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
    And on the channel page these words appear:
    `My name is Let Me Tell You About Video Games, Let's Play channel of Let's Play channels
    Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
    The lone and level Pewdiepie videos stretch far away".

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Oh god, if it were hours played Team Fortress 2 would top my list

But then, it would every year

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Lists are cool. I think my GOTY 2013 looks like this right now. Spelunky HD technically came out last year for 360, but that didn't have the daily challenge, so fuck it.
    1. Dota 2
    2. Spelunky Daily Challenge
    3. Bravely Default
    4. Gunpoint
    5. Papers, Please
    6. Antichamber
    7. Pokémon X
    8. Tomb Raider
    9. Anodyne
    10. Bioshock Infinite

Still wanna play Fire Emblem and Zelda at some point and get a Wii U and play Wonderful 101.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    zlCfzRPHyVcHzMfS47

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the stanley parable was funny but it didn't say anything more over a couple of hours than bioshock said in three words

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    zlCfzRPHyVcHzMfS47

Isn't that cute? He thinks he's one of the Models, Inc.!

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua3fLD-vPlA

fav part of the Bombcast this week

• Options
    THEY WANT YOUR MICROTRANSACTIONS TO SUPPORT OREGON'S BIRTH CONTROL

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    orchid's

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    orchid trail

ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAA PAAAAAAAAAAACE

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    The reminds me how good Merry Gear Solid 2 is.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    The Under the Bridge Challenge in GTA5 is my GOTY. Just really dug the flying.

I wanna put Into the Nexus away before I start thinking about a list.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I've actually been feeling like playing LoL again.

They have made some big changes since I last played.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    GOTY is always tricky for me, but it's particularly difficult this year

Assassin's Creed 4 inspired the most glee, but Gone Home is the first game that ever made me wistful, but Papers, Please gave me the most to think about

I don't know how to prioritize those three sensations, or weigh them against one another

So let's just call it a three-way tie, I guess?

• Options
    Interesting that Gone Home was the first game to do that for you!

Japanese games have always been really good at bringing the wist right out of me in droves.

There's been a long running current in Japanese media called mono no aware, and well, I will just let Wikipedia explain it for me:

Mono no aware (物の哀れ?), literally "the pathos of things", and also translated as "an empathy toward things", or "a sensitivity to ephemera", is a Japanese term for the awareness of impermanence (無常 mujō?), or transience of things, and both a transient gentle sadness (or wistfulness) at their passing as well as a longer, deeper gentle sadness about this state being the reality of life.

It's always managed to really resonate with me for whatever reason.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story came close, but the generational differences (while interesting) prevented maximum wistocity

• Options
    That awesome was for "wistocity"

The above is also why I could not stop crying when my students graduated. And why I can't read the letters from my students without crying.

Instead of being focused on "congratulations! You graduated!" It is on "No matter how good of a time you had here, all things come to pass and you must move on in your life to other things, no matter how much you want to stay."

And oh my god I cried all of the tears.

This discussion has been closed.