Options

Videogames Are Alright [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    pull that shit out dude

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I cannot self-terminate.

sig.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I'll get a really long blond hair growing out of my shoulder/neck area. Yank those out.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Guys I have this single freakishly long hair hanging behind my ear that I just found and I'm like is this my hair? How long has it been there? If I tug on it a little it hurts so it feels like mine!

It's way longer than my other hair!

Other people's hair will definitely get stuck in your skin. Sometimes they even get infected, because it's more like a splinter than a follicle

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Isoldae wrote: »
    Also there is a quick look for ridiculous fishing

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ridiculous-fishing/2300-7142/

You just convinced me to buy this game. Thanks!

• Options
    Oh there we go, it came out, guess it was just stuck on there because of gross skin stuff.

Yeah that's definitely one of my girlfriend's.

I'm glad I shared this with all of you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Videogame news - what the hell is up with that guy (Leisure Suit Larry remake dev)
    -
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/13/the-messy-saga-of-replays-paul-trowe-as-al-lowe-quits/

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Sit down at my desk

Check my messages

Start eating my breakfast

Bring up SE++

Barf

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Guys I have this single freakishly long hair hanging behind my ear that I just found and I'm like is this my hair? How long has it been there? If I tug on it a little it hurts so it feels like mine!

It's way longer than my other hair!

Other people's hair will definitely get stuck in your skin. Sometimes they even get infected, because it's more like a splinter than a follicle

Kind of related, but I once had an eyelash get caught in my tear duct

Had to use tweezers to pull it out since it was irritating my eye like crazy

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Ceno's 2013 Game of the Year Extravaganza!

Something needs to be here, some kind of ostentatious fanfare kind of thin-ah, here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYY2r1O3bzQ&list=FLcYQEaXZPp-e1FubPyMJfOA

I tried to have a winner and two runners-up for each category but there were a few that only had one or two nominees. I limited the games to ones I actually played this year. SimCity might actually be the most disappointing game of the year, but I didn't buy it so I didn't put it on the list. Additionally, with the exception of console exclusives, all games were played on the PC. So without further ado, let's get on with the categories!

2013's 2012 Game of the Year

Diablo III

Diablo III is a game that has only gotten better since launch. The former game director, Jay Wilson, has moved onto other things at Blizzard, and the new people that have taken over for him seem to "get" Diablo. The new expansion, Reaper of Souls, looks to basically undo most of the problems that people have with the game, save the always-online requirement (which is sticking around, unfortunately).

Biggest News

Xbox 180

Runners-up: Steambox, WiiU Launch Failure

The announcement and subsequent campaign for the Xbox One may be one of the single most disastrous and mishandled events in video game history. The panic and desperation bordered on manic at times, and Microsoft's man in charge at the time, Don Mattrick, only seemed able to pour gasoline on the fire. They very nearly burned up all the goodwill the 360 had earned in one fell swoop.

Most Disappointing

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Runners-up: Dead Space 3, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

This is an unusual category for me, because Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is ostensibly not a bad game. It's quite good, in fact, with an interesting and well-written story and fantastic atmosphere. As a follow-up to what I consider the most terrifying and atmospheric game ever made, however, it left a lot to be desired. The enemies were pointless and easily avoidable, a lot of core functionality from the first game was simply removed, making for a less interactive experience, and most importantly, it just wasn't scary. Unacceptable for a game with "Amnesia" in the title.

Ryan Davis Memorial Best Use of M.O.D.O.K. Award

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

That pretty much speaks for itself.

Best Music

Bioshock Infinite

Runners-up: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

The way Bioshock Infinite uses music is easily one of its most impressive qualities. Not only is the original score itself wonderful and evocative, the game's use of licensed music is breathtakingly original and some of the choral numbers are almost an event in and of themselves.

Best Looking

Bioshock Infinite

Runners-up: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

It's a very rare game that contains such a well-realized world that you literally spend hours just wandering around looking at everything. Bioshock Infinite is one of those games. The art direction is meticulous and beautifully stylized. Elizabeth is one of the most expressive characters I've dealt with in a video game. While something like Assassin's Creed IV might be a technically more demanding game with the impressive effects to go along with it, much like with Blizzard's games, Infinite transcends its technical limitations to produce something wonderfully unique.

Best Story

Gone Home

Runners-up: The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite

Considering that story is the primary thing that Gone Home has to offer, it's fortunate that they deliver on that experience on several different levels. The main story in and of itself is compelling, but the way the narrative is presented is almost refreshingly traditional, relying on player exploration of the environment to piece together an even larger, more involved narrative. Bigger games from bigger studios should take a long, hard look at the story structure of Gone Home.

Best DLC

XCOM: Enemy Within

Runner-up: Burial At Sea, Episode 1

XCOM: Enemy Unknown was handily my game of the year for 2012 and, in typical Firaxis fashion, the newly arrived expansion improves on the game in almost every way. New units, an abundance of new maps, new research, new facilities, new enemies, and general performance improvements make it almost mandatory for fans.

TOP TEN

10. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
    9. Papers, Please
    8. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
    7. Gone Home
    6. The Last of Us
    5. Tomb Raider
    4. Injustice: Gods Among Us

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

At times, it feels like Nintendo relied a bit too much on A Link to the Past nostalgia for A Link Between Worlds, but in the end, the game is so damn good you just don't care. Fantastic music, fast responsive gameplay, and - most importantly - a welcome return to an older design of Zelda games, one that allowed the player to explore and discover things without so much hand-holding. It just needs dungeons that were a bit more difficult and a stronger villain (why not use Ganon if you're just going to use not-Ganon?). Best Zelda game in years.

2. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Black Flag is every pirate fan's dream come true. A gorgeous game with more things to do than I ever expected, it's easily the best AC game since the second one. Ship battles, swinging from ropes onto decks filled with swashbuckling and musket fire, crews singing shanties while storms rage on a dynamic sea, treasures to find and warehouses to plunder, it's hard to find something to complain about. The Animus stuff is still the least interesting part of the experience, but Ubisoft can couch the series in whatever sci-fi nonsense they need to in order to continue to provide unique settings.

1. Bioshock Infinite

Bioshock Infinite certainly has its flaws and they have been well-discussed. The raw emotional impact the game had on me definitely outweighed them for me. Infinite has an astounding and detailed visual style, the music - and especially the application of the music - was unmatched. The character of Elizabeth, who is your anchor throughout the game, was superbly performed and animated. The combat was fun and varied. The flaws are there, no question, but at least they are the flaws that come out of a highly ambitious project, which I continued to return to over the course of the year, just to explore more of that world.

So, all in all, not a bad year for video games, which - I hear - are all right.

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Is it unacceptable to say this game came out this year?
    256px-MGL_cover_art.jpg

SenorTacos on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I dig that approach to listage, @Ceno

Folks' reasoning always interests me waaaaay more than their ordering

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    So, all in all, not a bad year for video games, which - I hear - are all right.

eh

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Videogame news - what the hell is up with that guy (Leisure Suit Larry remake dev)
    -
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/13/the-messy-saga-of-replays-paul-trowe-as-al-lowe-quits/

It says a lot when fucking Al Lowe quits your company in disgust because you're a gross human being.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is on sale on the iOS App store for 1 dollar

If you don't buy it you are INSANE

Make this 2013's 2011 Game of the Year

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    was thinking about video game water effects recently cause there's been some damn good oceans this year

Black Flag (playing on PS4 here) vs GTAV, namely

I feel like Black Flag has the better rolling waves (and they get BIG) but GTAV's water has more...richness to it? there's more of a natural color transition from deep water to shallow and I think it does froth and whitecaps better, especially as the waves break on the beach. but then again, I'm not sure GTAV's ocean has anything that matches the spectacle of seeing huge galleons plunging into rogue waves

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I dig that approach to listage, @Ceno

Thanks! I was originally going to write about each of my top ten, but it was already an obnoxiously long post.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I am not buying it

as I do not have any iOS devices

• Options

I am not buying it

Same here

Also Device 6 and the other thing people like

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    All my weird hairs are grey.

I have a lot of grey hair and still quite a lot of brown hair, but the weird ones seem to be exclusively grey.
    There's probably a reason for that.

• Options
    Also

@Rfilyaw I tremendously enjoyed your recent Justin McElroy reference

• Options

I am not buying it

clock_-_cuckoo_2.gif

Sorry, no exceptions

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I loved how dynamic the water in Black Flag was - I thought harpooning was the hardest fucking thing for a bit, because the first time I tried it the seas were all turbulent so I couldn't see shit. When I decided to try it one more time, it was much calmer and I could see the shark clear as day through the water and actually fucking hit it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    so i don't know if I got the right ghost trick but I just went to the store and it was free

did i download a demo or something?

• Options
    -

It says a lot when fucking Al Lowe quits your company in disgust because you're a gross human being.

I don't know what your impression of Al Lowe is, but he always struck me as a kind man

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    so i don't know if I got the right ghost trick but I just went to the store and it was free

did i download a demo or something?

I believe there's a Lite version and you pay the dollar in the game to unlock the full game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The first chapter is free.
    You pay for the rest.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Bioshock Infinite is a great choice for Best Looking because it's not only technically impressive but the art design is incredible. Somehow the fusion of Progressive Era America and floating sky castles just works fantastically. I loved just looking around in that game.

• Options
    http://youtu.be/eoDbtiCLYqk

Strider hype reaching critical levels.

• Options
    Hm I just got a Hearthstone beta key
    guess I should check that out

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Hm I just got a Hearthstone beta key
    guess I should check that out

One of us

One of us

• Options
    I have never played anything like Magic etc

so I am excited! And intimidated!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I have never played anything like Magic etc

so I am excited! And intimidated!

The intro gives you a fairly good idea of how to play and explains the mechanics pretty well. Play against AI till you unlock all the basic cards.

Play casual for a while after that until you have an idea of what the good cards are, and feel free to head over to the Hearthstone thread if you need help!

• Options
    Apparently someone is trying to reboot The Naked Gun.

Ugh.

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Ugh.

I really like that movie

It does not need a reboot

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Ugh.

Well, let's not judge prematurely. It's always possible they've found a dark ritual powerful enough to resurrect Leslie Nielsen.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »

Ugh.

Well, let's not judge prematurely. It's always possible they've found a dark ritual powerful enough to resurrect Leslie Nielsen.

Ed Helms is the lead

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I can't think of a single actor that could pull off playing Frank Drebin.

Maybe the Archer guys could do something animated? But even then, no.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I dig that approach to listage, Ceno

My reasoning is, these are the only 10 new games I played this year

This discussion has been closed.