Options

Videogames Are Alright [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I have never played anything like Magic etc

so I am excited! And intimidated!

The intro gives you a fairly good idea of how to play and explains the mechanics pretty well. Play against AI till you unlock all the basic cards.

Play casual for a while after that until you have an idea of what the good cards are, and feel free to head over to the Hearthstone thread if you need help!

Will do!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I mean, you can totally make a comedy cop movie with a similar type of humour to The Naked Gun.

But you don't have to call it The Naked Gun, it's lazy and ultimately pointless.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b19OsJgWr48

Videogamer.com thought Gran Turismo 6 was a bit boring, but Bowie was alright.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Videogame news - what the hell is up with that guy (Leisure Suit Larry remake dev)
    -
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/13/the-messy-saga-of-replays-paul-trowe-as-al-lowe-quits/

It says a lot when fucking Al Lowe quits your company in disgust because you're a gross human being.

I don't know what your impression of Al Lowe is, but he always struck me as a kind man

Well I know him through his games and his games make him seem like an old pervert with a bad sense of humor I guess.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Apparently someone is trying to reboot The Naked Gun.

Ugh.

Well, let's not judge prematurely. It's always possible they've found a dark ritual powerful enough to resurrect Leslie Nielsen.

Ed Helms is the lead

Eeeehhhh

I feel like Steve Martin might be able to pull it off.... Ed Helms isn't terrible, but obviously both of them need a good script for it to work.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular

I once found 2 copies of this in the Collector's Edition Tin for $0.99 that me and my friend bought just for the silver colored sharpie inside.

We then made a five dollar bet to see who could get further in this game.

We both made it to exactly the same point, called bullshit on the world presented in that game, and then never played it again and called the bet off.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular

Ugh.

Well, let's not judge prematurely. It's always possible they've found a dark ritual powerful enough to resurrect Leslie Nielsen.

Ed Helms is the lead

Eeeehhhh

I feel like Steve Martin might be able to pull it off.... Ed Helms isn't terrible, but obviously both of them need a good script for it to work.

Sounds like a job for Friedberg and Seltzer

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I know we've got a lot of Walking Dead Fans in here so I'm reposting this:

GMG has a 25% off code, will work on The Walking Dead Season 2 as well as other stuff

GMG25-XI6UI-D5GBQ

http://www.greenmangaming.com/

• Options

Ugh.

Ed Helms is the lead

Eeeehhhh

Sounds like a job for Friedberg and Seltzer

Uuuugggh.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Actually you know what, bring OJ back for this new Naked Gun.

If they can get OJ to star in this movie, I'll watch it. I'll watch it just to see their massive balls.

Highly doubt they'll do it but that's the deal I'm putting on the table.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Well it's another very boring morning for me so I'm going to steal that thing and take Giant Bomb's award categories from last year and update them for this year with what I think about stuff, THE DEFINITIVE ANSWERS. I'm a very bad writer who was never very good at English class or articulating my thoughts and I'm phoning a couple of these in where there's not a whole lot to say, so bear with me.

It's super long so out of preservation of the page length I'll spoiler the whole thing
    2013's 2012 Game of the Year
    Sleeping Dogs

A terrific game in its own year continued to have long legs stretching into 2013, with the price of Sleeping Dogs on Steam dropping lower and lower only increasing the discussion of it, reminding everyone of the true breath of fresh air it was into a somewhat stagnant genre before this year. Incredibly stupid parody DLC helped, too.

Runners-Up: Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Best Moment/Sequence
    The Last of Us - Winter

Wherein The Last of Us shifts from being one thing to being another. Months have passed, player control has shifted from Joel to Ellie, and it's unknown if Joel is even still alive. Ellie proves herself more than capable against all odds. Joel stumbles his way to Elllie's rescue, only to discover that she wasn't in need of rescuing at all. Joel finds he doesn't have to be the hero all the time. Sometimes he just needs to be there.

Runners-Up: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies - Confronting The Phantom, Saints Row IV - Rescuing Johnny Gat

Best New Character
    Ellie

A headstrong, brash young girl in a harsh, unforgiving world, Ellie is essentially the typical Naughty Dog character. But where The Last of Us ends up is where Ellie shines. Her survivor's guilt over outliving her best friend informs everything she does, including her compulsive need to be of use to somebody. The Last of Us doesn't tell us where these characters end up, but characters like Ellie are so well-defined that it's easy to continue their lives in your head.

Runners-Up: Elizabeth, Trevor Phillips

Best Music
    Grand Theft Auto V

It's pretty much cheating, I know. But GTAV's impeccably curated soundtrack creates instant connection with dozens of songs that you may have heard all your life, or you've never heard at all. The radio in GTAV could essentially be a primer for all sorts of genres. I never considered myself a country guy before Grand Theft Auto V, but Rebel Radio taught me otherwise. The original score provided by the unlikely team-up of Tangerine Dream, The Alchemist and Oh No, and Woody Jackson also proved fruitful. Oh christ, I just wrote "fruitful" after Tangerine Dream.

Runners-Up: BioShock Infinite, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Best Classic Revival
    Knack

Yeah, that's right. Knack. I said it, and I won't take it back. Knack is a wonderful throwback to the platformers of the mid-90s. This is not to say it's a particularly excellent game. Knack is riddled with design flaws. Its lead character has so many puzzling aspects to him it boggles the mind how dozens of people could let him go out into the world like this. The game is overly difficult, with clunky combat that's not nearly rewarding enough to balance out how quickly death comes to Knack. It fits perfectly with my memories of how I used to play Crash Bandicoot as a kid, as I suspect those games had the same sort of problems. It's an instant nostalgia-trip that I would recommend to absolutely nobody.

Runners-Up: DmC Devil May Cry, Resogun

Episode of the Year
    Kentucky Route Zero - Act Two

While the development train has seemed to slow to a near-stop on Kentucky Route Zero, they've still left us on an ethereal masterpiece. In Act Two, Conway finally finds his way to Route Zero, and the experience is unlike any other. The eerie caves beneath Kentucky exude atmosphere, as well as the Bureau and the dark forests. Kentucky Route Zero is light on story but has a wealth of stories. Stunning visuals and sound design amplify all aspects of KRZ, leaving people trying not to think about how badly they wait for the next Act.

Runners-Up: Kentucky Route Zero - Act One, The Wolf Among Us - Episode One: Faith

Best Debut
    Gunpoint

A game that could only be designed by someone who spends all their time analyzing games, Gunpoint is impeccably designed. There are better games than Gunpoint, but I don't know if there are more fun ones. Endlessly replayable, Gunpoint demands experimentation. Its regrettably short length only increases the want to go back to it again and again.

Runners-Up: Divekick, The Last of Us

Best Surprise
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Invoking the name "Link to the Past" seemed to only bring down the dark cloud of expectations on A Link Between Worlds. Some felt it was an act of desperation on Nintendo's part, pandering to nostalgia in order to entice sales. Let's be clear: A Link Between Worlds is an act of desperation on Nintendo's part, pandering to nostalgia in order to entice sales. It's also the shakeup the Zelda franchise was so desperately in need of. Hitching the game onto the weighty reptuation of Link to the Past only heightened the creativity of the game design, along with using the unique capabilites of the 3DS to accentuate the presentation.

Runners-Up: DmC Devil May Cry, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Miiverse Community of the Year
    Game & Wario

You can draw a picture of a Playstation 4 and everyone else can rate it.

Use of Dupstep
    Saints Row IV

BOWWWWW TSH DUH DUH DUH ZTZTZTZTZTZT REEEEEEEEEEEEEE DAAA DAAA DAAAA DAAAAAA THESE GLITCHED OUT ENEMIES ARE ALL DEAAAAAAAAAD BECAUSE I SHOT THEM WITH THE POWER OF MUSIC

Best Use of Troy Baker
    The Last of Us

In 2013, hereafter referred to as "Troy Baker's Dozen", Baker inserted himself into video games as the new Nolan North. What sets him apart from North, however, is his wealth of unique roles in his first year of prevalence. If Booker DeWitt is the Troy Baker Voice at it's best, The Last of Us is the best showcase of him as an actor. Nearly unrecognizable as the gruff and aging Joel, Baker shows that he doesn't just have a great voice that can be applied to a character, he can get inside a character and understand how to use his voice to make a character come alive. The extra level of Baker physically playing Joel in The Last of Us' many motion-captured cutscenes is a plus. And that one YouTube video where the ending becomes a musical!

Runners-Up: Batman: Arkham Origins, BioShock Infinite

Best-Looking Game
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Professor Layton made the transition from 2D sprite-based puzzle game to fully 3D animated earlier, but it wasn't done nearly as well as in Phoenix Wright. Every shot of Ace Attorney 5 is gorgeous, with hand-crafted animation befitting of any theatrical animated film.

Runners-Up: BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us

PLEASE STOP
    Releasing Broken Games, Electronic Arts

It would be nice if I could play Battlefield 4 for longer than 30 minutes without it crashing, and it would be nice if I could get more than 2 missions into the campaign without it all being erased, and it would be nice if Need For Speed Rivals' online connections worked way smoother, and it would be nice if NBA Live worked at all.

URL of the Year
    http://bubsy3d.com

Bubsy takes a visit to the James Turrell Retrospective, and I don't think a single visitor comes away without learning the true meaning of art.

WarioWare Spirit Award
    Divekick

WarioWare is, at it core, a loving madcap parody of video games. Divekick is nothing if not a wonderful inside joke made public. Parodying not just modern fighting games but the fighting game community as a whole, Divekick is the cliched love letter to its own medium.

Runners-Up: Game & Wario, Surgeon Simulator 2013

Best Multiplayer
    Divekick

2013 became the year of the return of local multiplayer, with Towerfall on the Ouya and this week's surprise release of Samurai Gunn on Steam. While those games have more complex systems, Divekick is as simple as simple can be. Anybody with good reflexes can be an expert Divekick player.

Runners-Up: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Super Mario 3D World

Best Story
    The Last of Us

Beyond the story of the end of the world, The Last of Us is a story about love and devotion. The story of a man who closed himself off to the world learning to love somebody again. The story of a girl coming to grips with her continuing existence, hoping against hope.

Runners-Up: BioShock Infinite, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Most Disappointing Game
    Dead Space 3

Dead Space was at one point breathing new life into the survival horror genre. Dead Space 3 is the point where it turned the corner on all of that, into becoming a mediocre action game. Dead Space 2 was the start of the turn to action, but the action was tight and the game had no shortage of atmosphere. Dead Space 3 is a scary game without scares, an atmospheric game without atmosphere, and a shell of a franchise that EA has hollowed out into a microtransaction-filled Necromorph.

Runners-Up: Dead Rising 3, SimCity

Dumbest Motion-Controlled Moment
    Dead Rising 3

Shake the controller to shake off zombies! There are likely actual dumber motion-control moments this year, but this one really gets my goat. The Kinect is built for all this precision, but here it's used to watch your controller and make sure you jerk it around. Incredible future technology is used here to do the job of a simple gyroscope.

Best Trend
    Sharing

It's not available yet on the Xbox One, but hopefully it'll get there soon. The Share Button on the Playstation 4 is a revelation in gaming, heightening the communal experience of each and every game. Found a crazy bug in Assassin's Creed 4? hit the Share button and put it on Facebook so your friends can see it for themselves. Holding an impromptu NBA 2K bracket? Broadcast it on Twitch and let your pal on the other side of the country take part. It makes even single-player games a connected, multiplayer experience.

Biggest News

The Xbox One Does This Except It Does This No Wait It Doesn't Do That Anymore

Giant Bomb's Worst Game of the Year Presented By Someone Who Isn't Alex Navarro

NBA Live 14

Runners-Up: Deadpool, Dead Island Riptide

Game of the Year
    The Last of Us

I've already wrote so much about The Last of Us that there doesn't seem like much else to say. The Last of Us is a masterclass in all aspects of a video game. Perfect gameplay that elicits mood and character as well as any other, you feel both the struggle for survival and Joel's unique capabilities that show why he's still around after so long. A world that's worth visiting even in its hellish state. The Last of Us can be about the big moments, but its got even more small ones. A conversation about movies. A toy found on the ground. Music. The Last of Us is a long game, but when it's over I'm left wishing I could spend more time with these characters. There doesn't even need to be anything said. Just here, looking at these giraffes. Just one more minute.

Runners-Up: Gone Home, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I think "Best Classic Revival" is the most interesting one

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Regarding GTA V, it's the only game I've ever traded in. I honestly felt bad I had given R* money for that and wanted it out of my house.

I soured on that game hard by the end of the story, and the multiplayer was tremendously disappointing. I wouldn't have played what little of it I did if I hadn't found some PA folks to pal around with.

I'm just burnt out on stories that are so cynical and where everything has to be horrible all the time. Add in all the offensive bullshit and hateful characters, and you have a game for me where beating the story wasn't about having fun, just about trying to justify the $60 I dropped on it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    You should click this
    2579522-ww+giant+bomb+shrunk1.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    I understand the cynicism burnout

But on that front its a bummer you didn't finish it because it ends about as positive as it possibly could

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

But on that front its a bummer you didn't finish it because it ends about as positive as it possibly could

Well

It can

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Well

It can

The only way it doesn't is if you're a cynical asshole, which turtleant clearly isn't.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I did finish it. And that ending felt as forced as shit.
    Hey, remember these four guys (well two and a half really) who've been shitting on us for the entire game, because we have to be dumb and super passive about it because were GTA protagonists? Lets kill them and fix everything in 5 minutes!

The ending should have happened halfway through the game and the second half should have been preparing for the big heist and dealing with the repercussions of offing those dipshits.
    You should click this
    2579522-ww+giant+bomb+shrunk1.jpg

That's currently my background!

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Best games of the year?

Hmm. Geeze. Probably will remember something after, slap my head, and wonder how I forgot something so deserving, but for now?

Got lengthy, so, you know, spoiler box.
    10: Bioshock Infinite.
    Eh. 'salright.

9: Call of Juarez, Gunslinger
    Fast, funny, and with solid score attack mechanics. Exactly what a budget game should be. And exactly what a cowboy game should be. If getting into a The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly standoff with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid doesn't sound like a good time, we've got very different prospectives on life in general.

8: Mass Effect 3: Citadel.
    Took away the bad taste of the ending, added more Grunt and Javik. Yes, I think that's enough to make the list.

7: Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches.
    More of a favorite stab-em-up, but with new toys and gravelly voiced noir style inner monologues. The maps are fun to explore, the new powers allow for even more solutions to classic problems (problems like 'I would like to stab this man in the throat, but he is all the way over there') and there were more hostiles than ever who really deserved what was coming.

6: Saints Row IV
    Ridiculous in all the best ways. And the smart kind of stupid on top. It's a game that never stops giving you new ways to be an unstoppable force of nature, and it's incredibly funny on top of that. Like, Airplane levels of humor at times.

5: Pokemon.
    It was the new Pokemon, which kinda meant I'd like it anyway, but the online functions in this one deserve special praise. Fast, smooth, and designed to make you want to play with others. Never seen any setup that good before. It's almost enough to do with real people to make up for all of the virtual ones being such idiots, even by Pokemon standards.

4: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.
    I thought I was just tired of Zelda after quitting Skyward Sword halfway through. Yeah, that was a bad assumption. Great dungeon design, the item shop allows you wider options than any previous game, and the overworld is worth exploring. Plus, the 3D effects are phenomenal.

3: Gunpoint
    Tom Francis has been one of my favorite... well, whatever he's doing at the moment since I read his Galactic Civilizations 2 diary, and his first retail release keeps up the reputation. A little short, but very funny, with incredible core mechanics, gorgeous art and music, and a better grasp of basic feel than most studios could imagine. Ignore the smart puzzles, clever jokes, and beautiful noirish city. Just jumping and punching is a pleasure.

2: XCom: Enemy Within
    I love XCOM from the bottoms of my hearts, so the expansion was getting on the list. And it earned its spot. All the new toys are fun, but they also encourage new strategies and enable entirely fresh approaches. Also, big stompy robot suits.

1: Fire Emblem Awakening.
    For some context: According to my 3DS's internal reporting, I played this game more than everything else on this list put together. Hell, I played it more than Mass Effect 2, and I beat that one seven times.

Fire Emblem Awakening was made to be the series's swan song. A last tribute to everything that made it great. Now, for a turn based strategy game where your goal is to crush your enemy like a bug and where every action can cost you lives for keeps, you'd think they'd make it about death, or sacrifice, or fear.

No. They decided that at heart, Fire Emblem was a game about love. And Awakening shows it in every byte. Not just in the narrative and supports (expertly localized by 8-4, holy shit those guys did good), but in the countless little details that show the devs gave a damn. There's a level where you fight on boats. There are fish in the water. Most people never see them, there's no gameplay or narrative point, but dammit, the ocean should have fish.

Some people have pointed out the narrative takes a bit of a dip through act 2, that one of the main villains is a bit crap, that the map design for the second half has some stinkers, and that it's easy to ruin the game's balance. All true enough. But then I remember Henry's B rank support with Ricken, or the way Owain's initial sprite lifts his hand in front of his face, or anything about Morgan, and the flaws seem minor in comparison.

Character of the year all years: Morgan (female version) Fire Emblem.

She chases down a priest and force feeds him bear gizzards.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    I guess I don't agree, I felt like they'd been building to that for the whole game, and even the individual resolutions for each character (Micheals family and movie career, Franklin reconciling with his roots, Trevor being king of his own little hellhole) had all been built toward pretty fluidly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I thought that despite it's problems, GTAV was probably the best in the series.

• Options
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I can agree with this, but I also don't really want more GTA in the vein they've been doing since 3. IV was insane to me because big mainstream games still hadn't been tackling super cinematic, well written storylines. Nowadays you've got stuff like The Last of Us and Rockstar's own Red Dead and the movie-esque presentation gets a lot less mileage than it used to, which makes the vestigial immature shit in the radio and the world and stuff like the torture mission stand out even more.

I will probably play GTA 6 but I hope they realize they need to take the fact that they aren't the only ones in the "epic cinematic storyline" arena anymore and have to step up their gane and grow up a bit.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I can agree with this, but I also don't really want more GTA in the vein they've been doing since 3. IV was insane to me because big mainstream games still hadn't been tackling super cinematic, well written storylines. Nowadays you've got stuff like The Last of Us and Rockstar's own Red Dead and the movie-esque presentation gets a lot less mileage than it used to, which makes the vestigial immature shit in the radio and the world and stuff like the torture mission stand out even more.

I will probably play GTA 6 but I hope they realize they need to take the fact that they aren't the only ones in the "epic cinematic storyline" arena anymore and have to step up their gane and grow up a bit.

that would involve Rockstar playing other video games

so, noooope

• Options
    Rockstar: The Nintendo of Rockstar.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    A man can dream

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

that would involve Rockstar playing other video games

so, noooope

Yeah, until a GTA flops, they're not going to change anything. It's honestly kind of astounding that R* is so walled off from the rest of the industry.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    In other news, I got that mod that gets rid of the Rebel Fleet pursuit in FTL and goddamn! That either directly or indirectly fixed pretty much every problem I had with that game. Being able to collect more scrap/parts because you can explore the whole sector messed with the difficulty curve just enough to put it right where I want it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Is there a mod that gets rid of the final stage and just lets you keep playing as the game gets harder and harder?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Totally doable in real life.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Is there a mod that gets rid of the final stage and just lets you keep playing as the game gets harder and harder?

Apparently!

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3542

Couldn't tell you if it's stable or not, and it looks like it changes some other stuff as well. Could be worth a look.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Strong agree with Ellie as best character/new character. She's awesome.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I wonder how much Jeff is going to try and torpedo Last of Us

I really hope he youtubes the cutscenes at least

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    OMFR69G.png

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Woahhhhhhh this rules

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow---AaOIEo

Retsupurae on the Mighty No. 9 """controversy"""

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Top Gun 2

maverick repeatedly rocket loops the russian migs and then puts plastic explosives on the plane when Goose gets to it before he does

This discussion has been closed.