As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Season 2 Episode 3 - The Dragon's Reach Part 1 (Use Spoiler Tags!)

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Moot of Especially Angry Nerds

Duuuude... please tell me this fits.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I hereby second Moot of Especially Angry Nerds (if it fits). Maybe Moot of (Extremely/Extra) Angry Nerds if that doesn't fit.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    Well, obviously whatever final number they come up with is what it "always" was, but I was just referring to the fact up till that leak, Anet had always only talked about five elder dragons. But that really wasn't the point of the joke.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Moot of Especially Angry Nerds

Duuuude... please tell me this fits.
    I think the limit is 31 characters and this is 29?

• Options
    I tried it, it works, hells to the yeah.

Also, the WvW playbook is on the tumblr site now, link in my sig.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    this won't fit but Moot of Especially Angsty Nincompoops makes me giggle

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Yougottawanna when are the MEANies congregating to do their thing? is it alongside the existing WvW events or on a separate day? I wanna add it to the calendar

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    ibxs9vlSvr5I03.jpg

I AM BECOME DEATH

by which I mean my buy orders went through and I now have a full set of exotic Knights

... except the helmet I just realized, and the backpiece, and I have no runes

because I accidentally bought Medium armor at first and thus burned all my fucking gold :(

STILL. I am marginally moar prepared for the wubs. And I look awesome. Additional pix under the cut.
    ibmiLKYFMkazbj.jpg

il5kyu73tiErQ.jpg

ilXGYe8G8T8C8.jpg

i86faEA8TiXpu.jpg

izuuUOSNbodLC.jpg

iNjVmNAnN3LhL.jpg

ijXP15iTbwKIV.jpg

iW9MinzEjjWE5.jpg

my tasks now for this girl:

> earn enough badges to get exotic stats on that mask
    > better backpiece (also probably exotics)

a staff that doesn't suck (it has the default boring staff skin, it's terrible :( )

but other than that she's pretty much finished in terms of her aesthetic!

for those wondering: whispers chest, dry bones shoulders, dry bones pants, dry bones gloves, tactical shoes, starting skull masque.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Plantomancer bestomancer.

MEAN'll meet the same days NICE does, MWF, 5pm pst on Monday and Wednesday, 4:30pm on Friday for reset. I don't think Wednesday WvW is on the calendar at the moment, but it probably should be.

• Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    That really makes me want to roll a Necro, I am still in the "trying to decide what to stick with til 80" phase, but man that looks so awesome.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    wednesday wvw is on like..... welll its on. Ill be on pregaming from about 7est on.

8 est is the 'soft start'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWaZ62J4lzw

get hype!

@Vivixenne - think of it more like yougotta runs mondays as a crash coarse in awesome WvW tactics, while running you around to objectives and doing the leading things, the 'tryhard/meanies' are just a people pledged to try his posted builds.' other than that on other days we are just nice all running together.

>> What does this change for the non tryhard/meanies?
    NOTHING. Fun will remain king- everyone is included in that fun. You will just have slightly more coordinated than before and tough to kill pals. win win!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    So I was wandering around TC BL last night and rolled with some random folks, maybe 5-6 others. We got trolled hard by these three thieves who had guard leech and the power leech, all using one of the current meta stealth builds. They were close to our spawn and I'm pretty sure we each gave them 4-5 bags, trying to kill even one of them.

I know I'm not a very good pvp player, but moving forward, I now understand that I won't be engaging these guys unless forced to and I see why that one thief was following us for kicks on Monday. While thieves might not shine in sPvP or zerg stuff, they are the best at trolling and roaming from what I've been hearing and seeing. Don't waste your time with them, unless you're good at pvp and/or have a class that can handle them nicely.

• Options
    Ardor wrote: »
    So I was wandering around TC BL last night and rolled with some random folks, maybe 5-6 others. We got trolled hard by these three thieves who had guard leech and the power leech, all using one of the current meta stealth builds. They were close to our spawn and I'm pretty sure we each gave them 4-5 bags, trying to kill even one of them.

I know I'm not a very good pvp player, but moving forward, I now understand that I won't be engaging these guys unless forced to and I see why that one thief was following us for kicks on Monday. While thieves might not shine in sPvP or zerg stuff, they are the best at trolling and roaming from what I've been hearing and seeing. Don't waste your time with them, unless you're good at pvp and/or have a class that can handle them nicely.

Yup. The problem is when you aren't on point like we were monday.... they will sniff out the weaker among you and down him.... then they will just keep sniffing.

If you are hearty enough they are like flys. Just ignore them and move.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Especially stay clear of AON, which is supposed to be one of the two best roaming guilds in the game. Also, the builds I posted are for group fighting, not one on one, if you try and fight a 1v1 build with them you're gonna have a bad time.

Also generally to everyone, in case there's confusion: MEAN is part of NICE, not it's own thing. It's just what we're calling the people who signed up to have purpose-built WvW characters.

• Options
    There was a great stealther subgame in Shadowbane. All the rogue based classes (thief, assassin, scout, ranger - which could be rogue or fighter based) had stealth that ticked away on their endurance (used for all combat abilities). But only the scout had the ability to detect grand mastered stealth. They had a AoE reveal ability which effected everything in range (ally or enemy). My guild basically had several very good scouts that shadowed our movements and tracked enemy stealthers in a cat and mouse game. There was always an exciting little side fight when we acted all dumb to the stealthers to draw them in, the scouts revealed, and squishy rogues died.

They should really give rangers some anti-stealth tools. And by which, I do not mean tie it into the near useless pet.
    ---

Btw, I'll be a little inconsistent in being in the Tryhard Meanies roster until the wuv ranks are unified. I realized I should be earning my bonus chests on my highest ranked wuv characters. But once they are account based, I'll be able to fill role gaps better with my small legion of alts.

• Options
    I'm hopeless on my ele in 1v1 or small fights, but my mesmer is pretty good in these types of fights and I've beaten thieves before. Turns out, I've beaten average or poor thieves before. These guys all had at least 250 wvw ranks for the +vit/power stacks off guards and they coordinated. It was honestly pretty exciting to see, for the first few deaths.

When I bring my thief into wvw, mostly it is to join zergs and I pretty much only stealth and spike downed players, or I run around and troll those small groups who kill your yaks or take camps. I just need more practice in wvw since I only find myself there once or twice a week usually.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Are you a staff ele? Staff ele is more of a support role. A good D/D ele should easily be a match for a thief.

The best thing I've found for thief larger group play is shortbow. Trick arrow bounces around to get you tags and some well placed air bursts with cluster bomb. And you wait for the right time to dagger storm. Thieves used to be great at walls, offense or defense, but then they nerfed the cluster bomb range into near uselessness. You can barely hit the top of a wall, and the air burst will maybe hit a player just at the edge of the wall. And shooting down off walls is nearly impossible. Of all the things on thief that could have been nerfed, SB should have been lowest on the list.

Joiry on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    oh yeah..... staff eles.... they are zerg only....
    If we are doing less than 10 small squad wvw-> dagger ele
    if we are at full power -> staff ele.

is there a build where you can flip to daggers and keep the staff ele traits? or are they so so different.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    KazitronKazitron Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I think the old cliché something/something/something/30/30 build should probably still work? It's been a while since I played my ele, but the general traits seem about the same.

Kazitron on
  • Options
    jesus kaz. your icon is giving me frightmares.

• Options
    I use D/D or S/D when I'm not with a zerg, staff otherwise. I'm pretty confident in my ability to lose any 1v1 as a staff ele!

I'd have to figure out how best I can use the 0/0/10/30/30 if I ever roam, but I usually just join large groups or zerg with ele.

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Two questions about classes. How are engys and rangers doing these days? I'm still having a hard time settling in on a class, if you couldn't tell. :/

• Options
    Ender wrote: »
    Two questions about classes. How are engys and rangers doing these days? I'm still having a hard time settling in on a class, if you couldn't tell. :/

Engineers are awesome and while turrets still suck just about everything else about the class rocks and is truly excellent. There are some good comprehensive guides out there if you're interested.

Rangers unfortunately still derp around in the bottom tier. They CAN be good at some things, namely water fields iirc, but they just don't hold up as well as other classes.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    rangers are the bottom tier.

For every buff they get some weird new bug or nerf. Its quite sad.

Used to be the vigor kings. they took that away.
    Used to have an excellent backup source of water. They nerfed it.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Rangers have a lot of potential that is held back by being tied to a fragile pet with terrible A.I. I honestly think that the only thing keeping ANet from giving Rangers the option to spec out of pets is the fear that nobody would choose another spec.

• Options
    When a mesmer shatters, the animation roots the illusions in place for a second - but that doesn't matter so much because the damage comes at the beginning of the animation, not the end. I always wondered if they could do the same thing with ranger pets. It might look a little weird sure, but it would fix the issue of pets whiffing against moving targets.

• Options
    Friar ChuggsFriar Chuggs Registered User regular
    Vahraan wrote: »
    So what's everyone's policy re: salvaging? I know salvaging rares above 68 is a good idea, or really cheap exotics I guess, but what about blues and greens? Vendor them? Or does it just depend on how much I want more MF?

Because I could probably use a ton more of that. Hopefully yielding more rares or whatever, since I get around 2-3 an hour running Frostgorge (tops).

Short Answer (which is actually long): Salvage all endgame blues/greens, as 99% of them only sell for the cost of materials or less and use the ore/cloth/leather/runes or just flip th the mats on the TP for more than you could have made selling the item. Use crude salvage kits, as Basic gives you no advantage when you are salvaging cloth/leather/ore, and the runes in these items aren't worth the effort of buying new kits. This category includes basically all weapons/armor level 75+. I also like this method as it generates a lot of Luck while generating a very small profit on materials. Also, it saves lots of bag space when you run a couple dungeons/fractals back to back since you can deposit the mats and they stack!

With Rares/Exos, see what they sell for on the TP, as about 10% of high level rares are worth more than 35 silver to sell, and those are better to be sold than salvaged for ectos. If rares are less than 35 silver, salvage using master/mystic kits for ectoplasms, which you should get about .875 ectos per rare, and ectos are worth about 35s (plus you will get other mats and runes and luck which make up the difference in cost between ectos and the rare sell price). Exotics should all be sold on TP unless you are hunting Dark Matter, in which case you should salvage those with a sale price under one gold.

Leveling Gear is MUCH more complicated, but generally these blues/greens sell much better on the TP. For the ease of simplicity, I would sell all of them on the TP so long as you can put a sell order up that will net you more than vendor price after taxes (which are 15%). Many leveling blues, for example, vendor for 50 copper but you can put the lowest sell order up for 2 silver. After taxes, you net 1.85 silver, which is 1.35 silver more than you would have made vendoring. Add that up over the hundreds (thousands?) of items you pick up while leveling and you're talking about quite a bit of gold. And that's before you get to the blues/greens that can easily sell for 10-20+ silver. You would think that a lot of crappy prefix items like this (who wants a Toughness/Precision staff???) wouldn't sell, but I would estimate that 95% or more of them sell within a few days of putting them up. People buy weird gear. As an additional wrinkle, I now recommend salvaging all cloth armor items due to the extraordinary prices of all cloths now. I think all of them are profitable to salvage, though some with desirable prefixes may be MORE profitable to sell.

Long Answer (which is actually short): You would need to look at each items' cost on the TP, it's expected salvage results, calculate rates of salvage and tax rates, and its vendor price. The simple rules of thumb I outlined above will probably capture 80-90% of your profit from drops, without spending hours making sure you squeeze out every last copper/silver. If you are interested in these numbers, I can get some links for you or you can check the GW2 Wiki for expected salvage rates.

• Options
    So some journalists got a teaser for upcoming living story stuff: gamerzines.com/pc/arenanet.html
    It's a metronome with a poem inscribed on it. Looks like they've teasing Primordius stuff to me.

• Options
    Just a note, can't remember if it was mentioned here or not. Electrum bars are in the game, though cannot be made (you can look them up on the TP). I'd guess they might be used for something like ascended jewelry? The description is that they take gold, silver and platinum bars.

Every time living story stuff comes out, it's an opportunity to see if you can make money on the TP somehow. I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for these, since ascended jewelry has been available for a while, but if you want to try buying/selling on speculation, this is something to consider in regards to gold, silver and/or platinum ore.

Also, while the wintersday event goes until the 21st I think, you might check some of the wintersday drops to see if this is something you'd want to invest in or sell. Your wintersday currency wouldn't be worth much after the end of the living story, but might be worth more 1-2 days out. The gifts might go up around the ending as well, since they could still drop the ascended wing recipes and whatever else.

• Options
    So some journalists got a teaser for upcoming living story stuff: gamerzines.com/pc/arenanet.html
    It's a metronome with a poem inscribed on it. Looks like they've teasing Primordius stuff to me.
    Yeah but we thought that about the Molten Alliance too. At least, I did.

If it is though, maybe it'll get those knuckle-draggers screeching for MOAR DRAGON to shut the hell up.

And maybe I'll get a Tengu? Finally? Plz?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Why is something sent to news places a spoiler? or even your guesses about said thing?

tick tock -> THUMPERS "don not touch"

ancient-aliens.jpg

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    I still think its Leafy. Scarlet will be the one initiating the fire to burn the Dragon up. Like trying to crack part of the mantle or something.

Honestly, I'm still rooting (haha) for Scarlet. Its just I hate Anet's "good guys" so much more than their stereotypical villainess.

• Options
    Joiry wrote: »
    I still think its Leafy. Scarlet will be the one initiating the fire to burn the Dragon up. Like trying to crack part of the mantle or something.

Honestly, I'm still rooting (haha) for Scarlet. Its just I hate Anet's "good guys" so much more than their stereotypical villainess.

I think she is gonna cause some major damage.

And actually, on second thought (also Mojo's right this isn't a damn spoiler it's wild speculation) it might be Primordius after all. Even though I think it's not as sure as people seem to think it might be.

Reasoning: In the recap trailer, there was a brief glimpse of a broken Asura Gate. In GW1, Primordius' sleeping body was where the Asura built their Central Transfer Chamber -- basically, Primordius looked to them just like a bunch of dragonish rocks, so they saw it as just a convenient source of intense magical power to fuel their gate system.

If Scarlett awakens Primordius, it COULD potentially fuck the Asura Gate system. Which... I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, talk about a bold move on Anet's part! On the other, players will bitch like crazy about it, even if it's a purely temporary event.

In any case, Primordius awakening and breaking the gate system could explain the broken asura gate in that teaser.

Makes me wonder where the Dwarves are at tho. They're supposed to be fighting him...

• Options
    I thought Primordius had already awakened. Supposedly one elder dragon awoke every ~50 years or so.

In some of the material they released way back in the day, after EotN was out for a little while, all the dwarves but one one where supposed to have died fighting the Destroyers back to the depths, but then later they resurge once Primordius awakens and drive the Asura to the sruface for good. The last dwarf was supposed to be in LA, everyone assumed it was Ogden in stone form.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Primordius
    Primordus was initially supposed to awaken in 1078 AE, but upon the defeat of its most powerful general, the Great Destroyer, its awakening was delayed by two generations, until 1120 AE. After its rise, the other Elder Dragons began to stir, one by one.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Rangers have a lot of potential that is held back by being tied to a fragile pet with terrible A.I. I honestly think that the only thing keeping ANet from giving Rangers the option to spec out of pets is the fear that nobody would choose another spec.

there are a couple builds that are strong in small-scale wuv and tpvp. Usually they involve spirits and bunker builds, which means in a mobile or large scale wuv fight they're not very practical. I see these builds as actually holding rangers back since if they buff the class where it needs, these builds just get stronger and the tpvp people will shit themselves over how the ranger class is overpowered again. The ranger's largest problem is the pet AI. Anet has already said that they "cannot" change the AI or it breaks the game as a whole since the pet AI is also tied to the regular mobs as well (way to go programmers). My current spec is a bit glass-cannony, and it seems to work fairly decent when I've played, but it's a one trick pony at best. I enjoy the class and think it has great potential, but I have also kinda given up hope that Anet will actually do anything with it that will give the rangers an edge or niche over others, or at least be on par.

That frustration is why I haven't played much lately, though I do still play from time to time when I get nostalgic for running for my life across open fields. :)

253J736.png
  • Options
    Also- primordious is not a secret. Meaning folks in world know of him. From the poem i would guess 'leafy'

AND THIS HAD BETTER PAY OFF IN 'WORLD CHANGING' EVENTS FOR ONCE.

• Options
    It's a spoiler because my predictions are 100% accurate every time. I'm thinking Primordius because of the "deep below" stuff.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    @ardor electrum bars as an item have been in the game since ascended weapons. Same with the bolts of damask etc. Electrum bars will be related to ascended crafting for jewel crafters when enabled.

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Also- primordious is not a secret. Meaning folks in world know of him. From the poem i would guess 'leafy'

AND THIS HAD BETTER PAY OFF IN 'WORLD CHANGING' EVENTS FOR ONCE.

She mentions the surface "burning." If it were Mordemoth (sp?) she'd probably have said something like withering, or being poisoned or overgrown. Primordius is the Fire dragon.

@joiry -- first I more meant breaking free of the Dwarven resistance / coming to the surface than awakening. After all, he'd need help to break free... help Scarlett could provide.

Second, Ogden is with the Priory

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ogden_Stonehealer

He's not the last Dwarf, he's just the last one that remained on the surface. All the others went below to fight Primordius and keep him below the Earth.

In truth, this might make some of what Scarlett's done make a lot more sense. The partnerships with the Molten Alliance gave her access to the underground, while the Aetherblades served the twofold purpose of allowing her to travel across the world very quickly in order to study the ley-lines so she could locate where Primordius IS right now, as well as tap their power, and finally to facilitate the refinement of sonic weapons. What are sonic weapons good for? Breaking apart stone. These might be weapons designed specifically to kill the stone Dwarves to free Primordius.

buuut then the Toxic Alliance makes no bloody sense at all save as a distraction, unless her goal is to use Primordius to kill the Pale Tree, in which case it might have been to study the Tree's physiology? I got nothin.

Doin that thing again where my speculation makes more sense than other stuff

• Options
    right fire. doh.

So there are dwarves in this universe somewheres?