As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Season 2 Episode 3 - The Dragon's Reach Part 1 (Use Spoiler Tags!)

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Jeez...I hit 80 and started looking into builds and gearing and whatnot, and holy shit, the community for this game is like just a few steps short of LoL toxicity.

I'm also disappointed that I'm stuck with explosives as an Engineer for PvE, since grenades are a pain and bombs are goofy. Guess I need to either level something else, or run each dungeon once to have done it and put PvE behind me forever.

Kamar on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    so's ur mom

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    so's ur mom

:(

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Living Story Season III:
    The Search for Rytlock

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    the following is not a spoiler it happens in the first seconds of the ls ep and is pretty well spoiled by the trailer and well common sense.

the dragon is a plant. the mother of all plants has a great idea. gather all the world's leader's to unite them against the plant dragon- in one room at my plant palace.

Where the hell is my "Kasmeere- Fuck this plant, we are out" button. i mean.... does it not reak of terrifying set up?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Jeez...I hit 80 and started looking into builds and gearing and whatnot, and holy shit, the community for this game is like just a few steps short of LoL toxicity.

I'm also disappointed that I'm stuck with explosives as an Engineer for PvE, since grenades are a pain and bombs are goofy. Guess I need to either level something else, or run each dungeon once to have done it and put PvE behind me forever.

The forums are a bad place. Odds are the devs set them up to corral the usual terrible people away from community sites. I've always found the wider community positive and helpful.

There is a big balance patch slated for Oct overhauling all professions and I hear engineets are receiving some considerable love. Keep an eye out for the expected changes, they're floating around the internet somewhere.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »

The forums are a bad place. Odds are the devs set them up to corral the usual terrible people away from community sites. I've always found the wider community positive and helpful.

There is a big balance patch slated for Oct overhauling all professions and I hear engineets are receiving some considerable love. Keep an eye out for the expected changes, they're floating around the internet somewhere.

I like the Grenade Kit but I keep that for when I'm swimming. Otherwise I stick with the Flamethrower and Elixir Gun Kits for either mass burning or helping out folks fighting tough bosses. Both have worked out great alongside a Rocket Turret, Healing Turret and the occasional Supply Crate.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    the following is not a spoiler it happens in the first seconds of the ls ep

<pedantic mode>
    For those of us not yet level 80 it's a spoiler. Whether or not the thread cares if we get spoiled is another question.
    </pedantic mode>

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    the following is not a spoiler it happens in the first seconds of the ls ep and is pretty well spoiled by the trailer and well common sense.

the dragon is a plant. the mother of all plants has a great idea. gather all the world's leader's to unite them against the plant dragon- in one room at my plant palace.

Where the hell is my "Kasmeere- Fuck this plant, we are out" button. i mean.... does it not reak of terrifying set up?
    Spoilers for that scene with sylvari
    http://imgur.com/a/MBtyV

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Houn wrote: »
    the following is not a spoiler it happens in the first seconds of the ls ep

<pedantic mode>
    For those of us not yet level 80 it's a spoiler. Whether or not the thread cares if we get spoiled is another question.
    </pedantic mode>

its literally the first thing you do that sends you to the meat of the addition. Spoiler alert- the story has a beginning. be padantic- its matters not to me-> its overkill.

Spoiler alert- the dragons name is zhaitan.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Official forums are official forums.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Official forums are official forums.

Oh yeah man..... only danger lies down that path. danger and kitten....

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @mojojoeo I know it's a small spoiler, but still use spoiler tags please for any story for Season 2. Anything personal story or Season 1 are fair game, but spoil anything with Season 2.

Geod on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    And label the episode of the spoiler.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Might I have a reinvite to our guild? TheClockmaker.5267

Thanks.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    So, am I no longer able to change my dye colors without burning a transmutation stone?

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    @mojojoeo I know it's a small spoiler, but still use spoiler tags please for any story for Season 2. Anything personal story or Season 1 are fair game, but spoil anything with Season 2.

Also, there are those who have a level 80 who haven't even seen the whole game world or finished their personal story. :D

(Although personally I don't mind seeing/reading these things. I doubt I'll get to them anytime soon, anyway.)

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    You can change dyes whenever without spending transmutation charges. If you click around on stuff in wardrobe mode it'll preserve selections you've made until you reset them so if you change to dye mode the cost for those wardrobe selections might be what you were seeing.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Oh! That's good then. I was about to say if they charge transmutation charges for dye changes I'm left choosing between Guild Wars and food.

Cause I have a dye addiction.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Geod wrote: »

Also, there are those who have a level 80 who haven't even seen the whole game world or finished their personal story. :D

(Although personally I don't mind seeing/reading these things. I doubt I'll get to them anytime soon, anyway.)

Yeah, I know :) I'm treating this exactly like television show threads that are in D&D. Past seasons don't have to use tags, but the current season should use spoiler tags. And as Draygo said, label which episode the spoil is for (if it's for a specific one). When Season 3 hits, then Season 2 is open. If people want to change the policy that's fine, but that's how I see it working for now.

Geod on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Oh! That's good then. I was about to say if they charge transmutation charges for dye changes I'm left choosing between Guild Wars and food.

Cause I have a dye addiction.

When you start playing with Dyes, you'll get a little message in the corner that "applying these changes will cost 0 transmutation stones", which can be a little worrying until you realize it says "0". I think it's just that dyes and skins are all the same system now, so you still get the message for dyes, but it's not costing you anything, no.

• Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    There's a new patch... I'm hoping they fixed the iron marches thing?

Seems to. There is still one event that can break, but it seems they've made it so you can skip it.

Anyway, finished this update's story missions (Kinda huge spoilers here. Seriously, if you haven't done the last mission, don't look)
    I just love how Rytlock jumps into a one-way portal that sends him to some unknown part of the limitless Mists, and nobody present is worried at all. (well, maybe Rox, but more in a "kinda wish I was able to follow him" sort of way) He's so badass in-universe, even after doing something like that everyone's all "Eh, he'll be fine. Tell me if you see him around before I do!"

Also, anyone else get the impression from the banter that Rox and Rytlock are related? Or at least knew each other back when Rox was a farhar cub?

I can't find it now, but I could swear I saw something on the wiki or ingame that said
    Rox and Rytlock were cousins.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    There's nothing definitive about Rox and Rytlock's relationship.

If there were, it'd be right there on the wiki.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    And yeah, regarding Ep 4
    Likelihood is very high that the meeting is going to get crashed. Obvious possibilities are Soundless infiltration, or similarly Nightmare Court. Likely target for death is Councilor Phlunt.

I mean maybe they'll play it straight, but with the title Dragon's Reach, it seems likely it'll be an assassination attempt, maybe at all the leaders.

Also, if you're human and doing Ep 3, you ask for the Ascalonian Crown back. I dunno if Rytlock takes it with him in his journey into the Mists though.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Seems pretty obvious to me that Rytlock is Rox's dad.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

80% of groups do not know that explosives is the ideal min/max Engi build for dungeons in PvE, and about a third of the remaining 20% don't really care, mainly because there is almost no reason to min/max for the majority of dungeon paths; just know you're shit, read up on that path's bosses and puzzles and you'll do fine.

If you want to run an Static Discharge build, that will be fine. Flamethrowers/Elixir gun too. I even ran a condi dual pistol build in dungeons for a while and got exactly *1* complaint about it, in a group that had way more problems than just me and finished without a single problem once the complainer ragequit'd, and once the balance changes they've mentioned go live, a Flamethrower build will be pretty much just as good as explosives, especially in groups that don't stack crazy amounts of might (which is about 70% of them)

So pick a build you like, get gear that goes with it, and when pugging, just pick or start LFGs that aren't asking for full zerker or a certain number of achievement points or any of that BS. There is no reason to get depressed with the elitist geese who will most likely still be waiting for that last couple of people when you've already found a group and pass the first boss or two.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    mojojoeo was warned for this.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    There's nothing [spoilers] about [spoilers] and [spoilers] relation[spoilers].

If there [spoilers], [spoilers]'d be [spoilers] [spoilers] on the [spoilers].

Hey. Spoilers.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Seems pretty obvious to me that Rytlock is Rox's dad.
    Could be, but seems kinda weak, especially since we already have one member of DE 2.0 (Braham) would is already the child of one of the members of DE 1.0 (Eir) Also, as the Charr's personal story and the Vigil questline points out, charr parents rarely interact with their cubs once they have left for the fahrar, though Rytlock could have been on of the exceptions.

I think it would more amusing to find out the Stone warband's first duties were actually running a fahrar and Rytlock was Rox's primus. What would be more embarrassing for a charr Tribune than to find out he's a softie who is good with kids?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

Seriously most of the community outside the official forums is FAR friendlier and more open. I've even found the GW2 Subreddit to largely be a friendly and open place (with some stupid exceptions).

You are NOT "stuck" with bombs or grenades. The very idea of there being One True Way to run PVE is fucking stupid, and anyone who says that the ~only~ viable Engineer PVE build revolves around grenades or bombs is an idiot. I personally run a build that ONLY uses Flamethrower, and as people in this guild can attest, I've actually been VERY successful with it! Am I ~perfectly optimized~ or whatever? No. But unlike most idiots who follow the meta without thinking, I can actually tag things in PVE~ :V I've had plenty of success in the past with the Elixir Gun, and there's even straight Rifle or Dual Pistol builds that use Gadgets and no Kits at all which are perfectly viable. I suggest taking a look at Wolfineer's engineer guides: http://www.wolfineer.com/

While he has a lot of "Grenades/Bombs" like anyone else, he ALSO has a number of builds that don't use that AT ALL. And you can always modify the builds to fit your playstyle.

For instance, I use a modification of this build here: http://www.wolfineer.com/2014/05/power-ftrifle/ that suits MY playstyle a little better.

Here's my variant: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelcTpWrVXx8KseNydhMqogeSgBiO2ucA-TxhBwAAcCAWV+x5BAMb/hT6Jup+TZlgBAOAY4hHe4hHuMA6jB-e

Basically this lets you get Quickness, which I think overall will give you better utility and damage output than the "increase flamethrower dmg" trait does, increases how long your burns last, gives you HUGE amounts of condition removal, AND lets you blast your OWN Fire fields to help everyone else around you. Kit Refinement gives you a Fire Shield (gain Might every time something damages you) whenever you swap to Flamethrower.

so TL;DR -- ignore the haters, fuck the Meta, my build may not be ~teh mozt perfct~ but it's solid and I like it.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    How do you farm up Karma?

I want a set of Soldiers Rings and Trinkets to complement my Berserkers armor and weapons but I don't know how I can get 42k x 4 Karma.

I guess just build it up over time?

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Advocate wrote: »
    How do you farm up Karma?

I want a set of Soldiers Rings and Trinkets to complement my Berserkers armor and weapons but I don't know how I can get 42k x 4 Karma.

I guess just build it up over time?

Edge of the Mists has a karma train, as well as normal wvw toward the end of the week.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Build it up over time, join the guild in WvW as well.

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular

Actually I find this game to have one of the nicest communities I've ever encountered. You must have stepped into a bad pocket. Did you go to the official forums? Because....don't. Try the subreddit, everyone there is nice. And in the actual game everyone is nice unless you read map chat. Don't read map chat.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    There's nothing [spoilers] about [spoilers] and [spoilers] relation[spoilers].

If there [spoilers], [spoilers]'d be [spoilers] [spoilers] on the [spoilers].

Hey. Spoilers.

Spoilers!

• Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    Well riding the Edge of the Mists train is pretty fun, that's how I finally got my warrior from like 69 - 80.

In retrospect I guess that's where I got all the karma I spent on Charr cultural weapons... At least I have these cool looking weapon skins.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Kylindra wrote: »

Actually I find this game to have one of the nicest communities I've ever encountered. You must have stepped into a bad pocket. Did you go to the official forums? Because....don't. Try the subreddit, everyone there is nice. And in the actual game everyone is nice unless you read map chat. Don't read map chat.

Map chat in very populated places or around the world boss train tends to have the maturity of a group of 13 year olds. The forums have some good information, yet a lot of conversations filled with opinions about things that go nowhere.

The forums tend to have a lot of folks who are self-proclaimed elitists, as several have mentioned here. If your goal is to have fun and play in any of the game modes other than PvP, most anything you do should accomplish that. If you plan to do PvP, you'll want to at least be aware of the meta builds for the various classes so you can see what they bring as well as their strengths and weaknesses. Learning about those builds is probably more important than actually using some ideal build, since you'll know what to expect.

If you want to do dungeons or fractals and have issues finding groups that either don't kick you or don't make you question playing the game due to how they play, consider starting your own dungeon/fractal LFG using the LFG tool and add a description of anyone welcome or playing for fun or something. I've done that and the group tends to fill pretty quickly as long as it's not everyone's off hour time. You also cannot be kicked from your own group unless everyone else wants a free trip back to the start.

Guild chat isn't always very active, but there's a lot of folks listening or watching, so you can always ask for those interested in doing events, dungeons etc with you. You could also consider asking some folks who are not repping NICE, since they might be using an alt guild for bank space or doing something with a guild like TTS who tends to form for living story stuff like tier 5 Dry Top runs or the bigger, open-raid-ish events like tequatl or triple trouble wurm.

Ardor on
  • Options
    I've never had anyone complain about spec in dungeons. The only time I've heard anyone say anything is to a friend playing a necro, mentioning that necro dps is bad, which is sadly true.

In general when using the LFG system for dungeons, avoid any listing that

- has an AP listing
    - includes 'speed', 'daily' or 'fast' in the title
    - anything about 'no noobs' etc

Sometimes it's okay to join the fast ones if you too are using a meta-build for dungeon clearing, but in general those things are warnings that, while they don't guarantee you're going to meet someone who's a little bit of a poopstain, certainly raise the odds.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I've never had anyone complain about spec in dungeons. The only time I've heard anyone say anything is to a friend playing a necro, mentioning that necro dps is bad, which is sadly true.

- has an AP listing

Sometimes it's okay to join the fast ones if you too are using a meta-build for dungeon clearing, but in general those things are warnings that, while they don't guarantee you're going to meet someone who's a little bit of a poopstain, certainly raise the odds.

Actually, with a good dagger/focus or Death Shroud build, Necro dps can be very, very good, along with being one of the beefier professions after warrior and guardian, it's just that the Necromancer has pretty much nothing in the way of providing blasts or boons for the rest of the party, only a bit of regen and a lots of condi removal.

Yes, you read that right; the min/maxing idiots who scoff at the idea of support shuns necros because they are terrible at (boon/buff) support. >_<

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

- has an AP listing

Actually, with a good dagger/focus or Death Shroud build, Necro dps can be very, very good, along with being one of the beefier professions after warrior and guardian, it's just that the Necromancer has pretty much nothing in the way of providing blasts or boons for the rest of the party, only a bit of regen and a lots of condi removal.

Yes, you read that right; the min/maxing idiots who scoff at the idea of support shuns necros because they are terrible at (boon/buff) support. >_<

In past MMO's I was more along the line of their thinking, min/max, ideal party or raid compositions, raid guilds, etc. For whatever it's worth, I used to play the game more like a second job as compared to game for fun. I mean, I had some fun in the banter and winning/bidding on better items, but then I just found myself looking for the next best item I could get, or the next raid to go on, or whatever.

I always assume a lot of the folks who worry about ideal party compositions and the like, probably treat the game more like a second job or a math problem. So it seems like their glass is either full or empty, nothing in-between.

• Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    There's nothing definitive about Rox and Rytlock's relationship.

If there were, it'd be right there on the wiki.
    That's exactly it, I am 99% certain that I did see something on the wiki that was definitive about that, but now I can't find it anywhere.