As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Monday, December 16, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 3, Ep. 27: Brickbox One

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, December 16, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 3, Ep. 27: Brickbox One

Don't believe everything you read online. Actually, don't believe anything you read online.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• flyingelfflyingelf Registered User regular
    I hope you guys change your mind and continue doing checkpoint. I wasn't a huge fan of a lot of your other content, but I would definitely hit up loadingreadyrun to see Checkpoint every week.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Bummer about the indefinite hiatus. I'm curious why you couldn't just find a different host for Checkpoint, but I'm sure you have good reasons. I look forward to the final few episodes!

• lessthankrislessthankris Registered User new member
    Ditto to what FlyingElf said. I only found you guys recently and binge watched all of the episodes. You can't leave me now...

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Checkpoint is my favorite PATV show, and really the only one I watch with the exception of strip search and the occasional episode of extra credits. I'm really sad to hear that they won't be continuing to do the show on their own website, I had even already bookmarked the site in anticipation of the switchover. Anyway, I just wanted to echo the sentiment that I hope they change their minds and continue doing the show, be it on the loadingreadyrun website or another, I would watch it.

LostNinja on
  • digital_ronindigital_ronin Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Seeing as you already have experience with Kickstarter... why not kickstart the hell out of checkpoint? I'm hooked. So are many others. Don't leave use hanging like that.

Since.. you know what? Years and years of hearing about Kickstarter and other initiatives here on PA, but this would be the first one where I'd actually go and register, and put some money on the table.

Yes, I know there even were charity things going on before.
    No, I didn't get off my lazy ass for any of that.
    Yes, I am aware that makes me a horrible person.

With that out of the way, can I haz more checkpointz now?

digital_ronin on
  • MomoeMomoe Registered User regular
    I'm guessing this means Penny Arcade will be pulling the plug soon on PATV. They only have three active shows, after all. Expect Extra Credits and Shut Up and Sit Down to be following suit soon, i suppose. Shame.

"Most people would sooner die than think... In fact, they do so." ~Bertrand Russel
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    What can you do guys? If you're watching this video and now reading this comment, go to http://loadingreadyrun.com/ and just BOOKMARK it. Just do it. Put it in there. Even if you've never been there and have no idea why you would go back and only watch these guys here at PA...just...take the first step. Add the bookmark. Check it occasionally when you get bored at work. Maybe, something cool might happen.

Like Unicorns. That's right, Unicorns. And how do you know there aren't any Unicorns if you're not checking the website. You don't. And that's not a risk I'm willing to let you take willingly. So, think of the Unicorns. Bookmark http://loadingreadyrun.com/ today.

• IllessaIllessa Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    @Momoe - SU&SD definitely won't be going on any hiatus, I was only sort of tangentially aware they were on PATV at all, as all their episodes (plus articles, podcasts etc.) go up on http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/ first. But yeah, they successfully introduced a subscription system a couple of months ago (http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/donate/ - please donate so they have to do a Brass review!) so I think it's fair to say all is going well for them.

I would guess Extra Credits are in a less secure position, but they've still indicated on twitter and such that they're intending to continue at http://www.youtube.com/extracredits

It really does suck to lose Checkpoint though, it's losing ENN all over again. I'm sure LoadingReadyLive will be great and I'll be watching them along with everything else LRR get up to, but livestreams tend to lose some of their magic after the fact, which is when I generally catch them due to being in the UK.

Illessa on
  • Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    I am going to miss Checkpoint. I know you have like 80 other shows, but this does suck.

Also, probably going to miss Penny Arcade, since coming here for Checkpoint is about the only time I think to look for other PA content (comic included).

• Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    Ditto to what FlyingElf said. I only found you guys recently and binge watched all of the episodes. You can't leave me now...

Checkpoint will never leave you. It will always be here....In your heart.

• Brakish33Brakish33 Registered User regular
    Guys please... you guys can keep checkpoint alive on your own website =(

DON'T TAKE THIS FROM ME

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Illessa wrote: »
    @Momoe - SU&SD definitely won't be going on any hiatus, I was only sort of tangentially aware they were on PATV at all, as all their episodes (plus articles, podcasts etc.) go up on http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/ first. But yeah, they successfully introduced a subscription system a couple of months ago (http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/donate/ - please donate so they have to do a Brass review!) so I think it's fair to say all is going well for them.

I would guess Extra Credits are in a less secure position, but they've still indicated on twitter and such that they're intending to continue at http://www.youtube.com/extracredits

It really does suck to lose Checkpoint though, it's losing ENN all over again. I'm sure LoadingReadyLive will be great and I'll be watching them along with everything else LRR get up to, but livestreams tend to lose some of their magic after the fact, which is when I generally catch them due to being in the UK.

I'm not sure why EC would be less secure. I'm guessing most people who check in on PA a couple times a week or more, or even just once a week for EC, also have youtube subscriptions and head there every so often. Any of those people can add EC to their feed and see it just as regularly. Checkpoint would not be quite so easy to access, as it would mean checking in on a new site that's also got a ton of other stuff they may not want. That said, for my part, I'll be checking out their new shows while desperately hoping Checkpoint comes back. Escapist hosts a couple LRR shows--maybe they could pick them up!

• jeonjeon Registered User new member
    I will miss you checkpoint. I've tried watching stuff on LRR before when you guys asked us to check it out and found most of it rather lacking compared to checkpoint. (Unskippables are pretty good for any games that I have played... which aren't very many of them.)

Also, I guess I will going to youtube for EC because that is the only other thing I watch on PATV.

• HrugnerHrugner Registered User regular
    but... I liked this specific thing, not some other similar thing!

• T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    Sucks to hear Checkpoints going on hiatus. Hope to see it back soon.

• SlappybobSlappybob Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    ;)

Slappybob on
  • IllessaIllessa Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I'm not sure why EC would be less secure. I'm guessing most people who check in on PA a couple times a week or more, or even just once a week for EC, also have youtube subscriptions and head there every so often. Any of those people can add EC to their feed and see it just as regularly. Checkpoint would not be quite so easy to access, as it would mean checking in on a new site that's also got a ton of other stuff they may not want. That said, for my part, I'll be checking out their new shows while desperately hoping Checkpoint comes back. Escapist hosts a couple LRR shows--maybe they could pick them up!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Extra Credits was in any danger of stopping! I sincerly hope its not, and have seen no reason to think it is - they weathered losing their Escapist slot after all. It was just that with SU&SD currently pulling in over $10k a month in donations and with a commitment to producing at least three 45 minute episodes in the near future, the repercussions of losing the PATV slot is probably relatively minimal for them (especially as it wasn't even their primary platform). Wheras Extra Credits also has a lovely, established, community and will probably do fine, but the substantial drop in viewers that platform transitions tend to bring (as pointed out in LRR's blog post on the Checkpoint hiatus) might hit them a bit harder and risk James prioritising his many other irons in the fire (teaching, Games For Good and such) like the LRR guys have.

All of which is mostly to say everyone should subscribe to the EC Youtube channel right now :)

LRR's stuff is also on Youtube, ripe for the subscribing http://www.youtube.com/loadingreadyrun, but then as you say, you do have to sub to the whole channel (why Youtube doesn't have a playlist sub function I have no idea).

Sadly given Escapist canned Checkpoint's predecessor ENN back in the day, I can't see them migrating back, but who knows?

Illessa on
  • roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I seem to be in the minority that didn't like CheckPoint. What episodes I tried watching seemed like angry criticism and unveiled mockery, something I can find anywhere. I also was really repelled because often the still was a photo of an angry-looking woman. That's not particularly compelling. :-/

roflstomp on
  • dead.juicedead.juice Registered User regular
    I don't think that GoG return deal is going to work like you think it will, Checkpoint.
    Returning a game could just force your local copy to not work by, for instance, taking away crucial files or code during the return process. Even without DMR, there are ways to scan and validate games that doesn't require internet usage.

edited December 2013
    Slappybob, you didn't have to come to PA to watch Checkpoint. It's hosted on Youtube, and just embedded on PA.
    Failing to figure that out, you could have just made a bookmark to the Checkpoint archive, instead of forcing yourself to read a comic you loathe on the site whose focus point and general purpose IS the comic.
    Maybe you are just uncontrollably mad about the Checkpoint hiatus and are just lashing out (understandable), and aren't actually a lazy whiny bitch or something.

dead.juice on
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    If Slappybob hates the Penny Arcade site so much, shouldn't he be GLAD that they're taking away what he claims to be the only reason he comes to it? Maybe he is, but the "screw you"s kind of muddle it a bit, maybe he doesn't know what that phrase means?

• ScumeScume Registered User regular
    @dead.juice: You've just described a system by which Managing someone's Digital Rights is possible. What you've just described is precisely DRM. As it is now, you can torrent almost anything GoG sells and thereby avoid needing a credit card, so I really doubt this policy will effect their bottom line.

• LepusIratusLepusIratus Registered User new member
    I see some serious hate at people who don't like PA sharpening its focus. But to be honest, I probably won't be coming back either. Penny Arcade as a comic was something I enjoyed for a long time. Eventually I got into the video content, specifically Extra Credits and Checkpoint. I still watch those, but I dropped PA off my RSS feed a while ago. And now that PATV is slimming down, I'm not liking the content that's a focus. I've been generating hits for this site for a decade, but I suppose all things change with time. So thanks for the good times, the door to LRR and Extra Credits, and the charity work.

• Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    @roflstomp - I'm glad that a random still of my face doing something weird motivated you to come and tell me you don't find my face appealing!

Had I known all that acting and emoting was putting you off, I would have just delivered all my lines while staying as still as possible, as to not offend you by forcing you to see a woman's face that wasn't posed for maximum attractiveness.

Why did I have to find out now, 131 episodes in? What a terrible loss! *Sobs*

And now a serious comment for everyone asking about Kickstarting CheckPoint.

This is a great idea!

BUT we literally just did a Kickstarter for our 11th season of sketches, with the reason for the Kickstarter being that it would allow to focus even more on our sketches, and stop doing contract work for a year.

So to do another Kickstarter for CheckPoint would be bad for two reasons.

1. We just did a kickstarter. That seems greedy, at the very least.
    2. Pausing CheckPoint means we have more time for all the things we promised in our Kickstarter, things that people gave us money for.

LoadingReadyRun is no stranger to hard work. Earlier in the year when we were working on Strip Search, we were doing two episodes of that a week AND our weekly sketch, CheckPoint, Unskippable and Feed Dump... I personally worked about 80 hour weeks until Strip Search stopped airing.

So we could do everything, but at the same time, we did promise in the Kickstarter to do our very best work, a promise we are financially bound by. It sucks and I love doing CheckPoint, but we're not saying we'll never do it again. We're just not going to try and focus on it when we have all this Kickstarter stuff to do.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    @Kathleen_LRR so it seems that when you say Checkpoint is going on hiatus, you mean it actually has a chance to come back when your plate is a little less full? That makes me feeel better. I know things can happen, but I have a little glimmer of hope now.

• thisbymasterthisbymaster Registered User regular
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    @Kathleen_LRR It is not a matter of offense. It is a matter of not wanting to go from Penny Arcade to see that show. It's also not that you're unattractive, it's that the stills caught you in the middle of some expression and it was enough to make me think, "Er....why would they pick that." It can happen to anyone, but maybe the co-anchor just didn't emote to the same degree that you like to so it wasn't as noticeable. But yeah the content and style of the show just wasn't my thing. That part's just my opinion, and I know those are a dime a dozen. I still hope you and your group can keep doing your thing and find further success elsewhere.

edited December 2013
    @roflstomp - I don't care if you don't like that content. That's your right and your deal and just fine.

But they pick these pictures because they're funny.

Kathleen_LRR on
  • DarkironDarkiron Registered User regular
    kathleen uses a chubby twilight sparkle with glowing eyes for an avatar. awesome

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    dead.juice wrote: »
    Slappybob, you didn't have to come to PA to watch Checkpoint. It's hosted on Youtube, and just embedded on PA.
    Failing to figure that out, you could have just made a bookmark to the Checkpoint archive, instead of forcing yourself to read a comic you loathe on the site whose focus point and general purpose IS the comic.
    Maybe you are just uncontrollably mad about the Checkpoint hiatus and are just lashing out (understandable), and aren't actually a lazy whiny bitch or something.
    Hey, I understand if you're upset with someone's behavior, but in the future just report them as opposed to making posts like this.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SlappybobSlappybob Registered User regular
    Ok, changed it so now its more Penny arcade friendly. I understand that Penny arcade comics do not endorse the use of foul language or personal attacks on people or companies. I apologize for bringing crude and insensitive comments to a page that clearly endorses everything the Penny Arcade company does. In the future I will sway away from making negative comments to not offend the Family Friendly content that Penny Arcade brings.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ugh, I don't get how people find making people brick stuff is funny.

It's like the perpetual "delete system32" crap. (FYI: Don't.)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    I'm very bummed to be missing out on checkpoint because it's literally the ONLY thing on PA TV I watch each week, but hey all the best to Kathleen, Graham, and the team in all the other projects!

• bottlefacebottleface Registered User regular
    First PAR dies and now Checkpoint is going on indefinite hiatus? As in we'll probably never see it again? Damn, this is a terrible month for things I really enjoy. I wonder what thing I love will die next. Though I will finally get around to seeing more of Loading Ready Run...begrudgingly. I miss Checkpoint already.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Last reason to click PATV is going away.

Please
    continue doing Checkpoint. Even if you just host it on LRR and upload to Youtube, you should see a steady stream of new hits on LRR and fans will get to keep tabs on the Professor Pigglesworth project.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • The_MormegilThe_Mormegil Registered User regular
    LoadingReadyRun website is unwelcoming and weird. :/ Buuuuut, I like you guys, so.... I don't know. We'll see.

• aberdasheraberdasher Registered User regular
    Why on earth would microsoft include an infinite reboot loop feature with 6 steps? I mean, that's JUST as illogical as hiding a secret feature really. They should fix that.

edited December 2013
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    dead.juice wrote: »
    Hey, I understand if you're upset with someone's behavior, but in the future just report them as opposed to making posts like this.
    What did I do wrong, and where was I upset? I'll look over the forum rules for you in case I invalidated some rules, but it wasn't until yesterday that I even found out that comments made on the videos go to the forum too.
    So I apologize for the foul language or...
    ...whatever it was, Mr Mod.

dead.juice on
    Scume wrote: »
    @dead.juice: You've just described a system by which Managing someone's Digital Rights is possible. What you've just described is precisely DRM. As it is now, you can torrent almost anything GoG sells and thereby avoid needing a credit card, so I really doubt this policy will effect their bottom line.
    "Your point is irrelevant because piracy."
    Ok then.