As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Versailles on the Potomac (and Hudson): The American Political Media

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    The United states has no king, the United States needs no king.

But, quite a large segment seems to want a king.

Only if he wields Andúril, Flame of the West, forged from the shards of Narsil. The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army more deadly than any that walks this earth.

Stephen Colbert?

He is Captain America.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I would pay money for King Colbert of America. And I don't even live there. Just the state visits and royal weddings and such would be gold.
    I can already see the 'royalty press' (ugh) frothing at the clothes he manages to show up in.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    From talking about his moms love of oral sex to stating the obvious, Anderson Cooper is the man we need in media.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Still holding out hope he's undercover for the US government.

Just cause the movie would be awesome.

• Options
    Yeah its doubtful Rodman is anything but an idiot. I mean if this was the Bush Admin sure I could possibly by them doing some dumb castro level bullshit with Rodman, but we left that incompetence behind us.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

I don't think he's even trying anymore. Paying wannabe hacks pennies on the dollar to pen character assassination pieces is far easier.

• Options
    Oh joy Bob Gates is complaining about the Obama admin and not wanting to win in afganistan due to all those stupid dead soldiers. Joy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Yeah its doubtful Rodman is anything but an idiot. I mean if this was the Bush Admin sure I could possibly by them doing some dumb castro level bullshit with Rodman, but we left that incompetence behind us.

I'd trust Rodman's competence over the Bush administration.
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I don't think he's even trying anymore. Paying wannabe hacks pennies on the dollar to pen character assassination pieces is far easier.

Tucker was trying before? lol

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Oh joy Bob Gates is complaining about the Obama admin and not wanting to win in afganistan due to all those stupid dead soldiers. Joy.

its called selling books

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    It's called Bob Gates is a fuckweasel.

• Options
    Another Worst of 2013 list. This time for Yglesias:
    http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/matt-yglesias-slate/

I love this article, if only for introducing me to Vertu and their $6000 luxury android phones.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Tucker was trying before? lol

Yeah, he totally was. He cut his teeth out of college doing real journalism. Then he moved into television as a pundit and looked to be having a fairly promising, if not a little mediocre career there. But then John Stewart pissed in his cheerios and well..he was such a smarmy shit to begin with, that it probably tipped the scales enough to dry up most of his television work. (Though apparently he's still on Fox's payroll.) I seem to recall he had lofty ambitions with the Daily Caller when he started it and then quickly jumped into muckraking territory when the site garnered zero attention.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    So I wonder if the beltway who was gobbling Christie Cock will turn on him now that it looks that non scandal that is his bridge scandal is blowing up into an actual scandal?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    So I wonder if the beltway who was gobbling Christie Cock will turn on him now that it looks that non scandal that is his bridge scandal is blowing up into an actual scandal?

If it reaches a critical mass beyond which they can no longer just wave it off as that damn librul media?

I haven't been following it for like a month, did some new revelation surface?

488W936.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

You know, if this scandal actually is what it sounds like it is, that's really fucking bad. Like, this sounds like something Nixon would do.

It sounds like the blood is in the water, and if no white girls go missing between now and the Olympics to push this out of the headlines, Christie might be done in the big leagues.

I can only hope. It's early to handicap 2016, but at the moment it looks a lot better if Christie managed to hobble himself before the race even starts.

• Options
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/revelations-connect-christie-bridge-scandal

His top aides were directly involved, and it blows the bullshit cover story of it being a traffic study/not connected to the governor right out of the water. In all things political, it appears its not the crime, its the coverup that will put him under.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DNC smells blood in the water too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BU7NbjQtzQ

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    And he just got re-elected too. How adorable.

488W936.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's like the people who wrote those emails were actively trying to cultivate an image of themselves twirling their evil mustaches while tying children to railroad tracks.

• Options
    Well it was directly because of his campaign his admin did this bridge closure. Cohn put it best, this scandal is easy as hell for the media to sell. Boistrous ahole punishes entire town because someone didn't kiss his ring, its blatant abuse of power without any kind of "technically legal but highly unethical" weasel language.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I love that the whole reason he wanted the endorsement was so that he could sell himself as someone who could generate "bipartisan support." Yup, that sure worked out.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It's like the people who wrote those emails were actively trying to cultivate an image of themselves twirling their evil mustaches while tying children to railroad tracks.

I'm always amazed at the incompetence of people doing bad shit. I mean there is a not so easy explination, if they were competent they wouldn't be doing the bad shit, but good lord what people openly admit to doing despite it being possibly illegal is just mind blowing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so can anyone give some background on this bridge scandal? think i missed any talk of it first time around and haven't really been following any US news of late(other than stuff that gets posted on here).

• Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

I'm always amazed at the incompetence of people doing bad shit. I mean there is a not so easy explination, if they were competent they wouldn't be doing the bad shit, but good lord what people openly admit to doing despite it being possibly illegal is just mind blowing.

The thing about this that amazes me is that there was nothing really for Christie to gain. At least Nixon's shit had a tangible pay-off in hurting his opponents / helping his campaigns.

I suppose he could use it as a 'nice city you've got there...I'd hate for something to happen to it' in the future, but if he's distanced himself from it there just isn't that much of a threat.

It's just a vindictive tantrum. It makes him look childish and incompetent no matter how it's spun. The only thing he can do is keep his head down and hope the story goes away.

• Options
    Because Christie is childish, look at the mans history petty vindictive bullshit is what he does. The man is a walking asshole who bullies everyone he comes across, frankly surprising it took this long for something like this to come about.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Because Christie is childish, look at the mans history petty vindictive bullshit is what he does. The man is a walking asshole who bullies everyone he comes across, frankly surprising it took this long for something like this to come about.

This. A thousand times, this.

Dude's a petty, vindictive, giant bully and he'll attract that type of person to his staff.

I'm sure that Chuck Todd and Jake Tapper and Jon Karl all have horrible cases of sad-penis today.

• Options

There's already been stuff like this. It's just Sandy made everyone in the media forget because "OMGCENTRISM!" and it's shocking when a GOPer isn't a complete fucking monster to the downtrodden.

But Christie is and always was a petty asshole doing petty assholic shit and proving his conservative bonafides.

We've just been sitting around waiting for his next bit of assholetry big enough to overcome his fading Sandy glow.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I saw part of that 60 Minutes debacle, and I was just thinking, what the hell is up with your line of questions woman!?

It was like she was trying to say to this one guy " Well someone tried something once and didn't succeed so no one should ever try anything like that ever again ever."

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I saw part of that 60 Minutes debacle, and I was just thinking, what the hell is up with your line of questions woman!?

It was like she was trying to say to this one guy " Well someone tried something once and didn't succeed so no one should ever try anything like that ever again ever."

Yep, also known as every response to anything tried to curb poverty in merica.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Don't forget enormously sexist! He particularly loves bullying women.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Well he's a republican thats implied.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Even for a Republican, he stands out in his sexism.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” she told him. “Got it,” he replied.

Using email and not even trying obscure the language a little. I can't decide if this indicates that they were lazy, stupid or just so high on their own supply that they didn't care. Probably all three.

• Options
    And these are the people the media want to run the country.

• Options
    Even for a Republican, he stands out in his sexism.

I believe that was going to be his 2016 presidential slogan.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So, any bets on how long it will be before Christie is tagged with a (D-NJ) in a BMN chiron?

I'm thinking 2 days.

This discussion has been closed.