As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Versailles on the Potomac (and Hudson): The American Political Media

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This is like a sad joke.

Politifact rated Obama's claim that he had reduced the deficit by 2/3rds during his term as "Mostly True" because, and now I will quote:
    Obama said since taking office the country has seen "our deficits cut by two-thirds."

His claim is accurate if you use 2009, his first year in office with an historically high deficit, as a starting point.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    This is like a sad joke.

Politifact rated Obama's claim that he had reduced the deficit by 2/3rds during his term as "Half-True" because, and now I will quote:
    Obama said since taking office the country has seen "our deficits cut by two-thirds."

His claim is accurate if you use 2009, his first year in office with an historically high deficit, as a starting point.

The Politifact project was doomed from the beginning.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This is like a sad joke.

Politifact rated Obama's claim that he had reduced the deficit by 2/3rds during his term as "Half-True" because, and now I will quote:

Jesus fucking christ seriously...

WELL IT'S ONLY TRUE IF YOU ACCOUNT FOR HIM CUTTING THE DEFICIT SINCE THE DAY HE STARTED. OTHERWISE IT'S MEH.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fucking politifact, jesus Maddow will probably club your asses again because lets be honest how the fuck is that half true. "Well using actual facts yes this is true, but since most of america believes he raised the deficit half true."

CHOKE ON GRAVY RUN OFF!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well there was actually a budget surplus during 2000 so it really should be rated "Pants on Fire"

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Well there was actually a budget surplus during 2000 so it really should be rated "Pants on Fire"

Now, if you take into account that he didn't cut the budget by 2/3rds from last week to this week, you can see why it's half true.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Someone better unskew these deficit numbers! I heard Obama spent ten billion dollars on his trip to India! I don't see that accounted for!

*nods nods*

*rates pants-on-fire*

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    What I hate is that a lot of "fact checking" is just opinion pieces pretending to be objective.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jan/20/barack-obama/barack-obama-claims-deficit-has-decreased-two-thir/

they rated it "mostly true" not "half true"

still dumb, because it should just be "true"
    Preacher wrote: »
    What I hate is that a lot of "fact checking" is just opinion pieces pretending to be objective.

one of my biggest gripes about well-respected media organizations like the AP and major newspapers is that they have this really gross attempted objectivity which they portray as actual objectivity

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

This comment is rated Pantalones de Fuego.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I mean honestly at the jump having ratings like "Mostly true, half true" when doing a fact check is retarded. Shit is either true or its not, by not just going on a black and white value of the truth you are not fact checking you are opining.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

one of my biggest gripes about well-respected media organizations like the AP and major newspapers is that they have this really gross attempted objectivity which they portray as actual objectivity

Are you referring to the "Well, this scientist who has dedicated his life to studying the subject sure has some interesting things to say on the subject, but let's hear the counterpoint from gas station attendant Billy Joe Thornberry who almost graduated high school!" type of objectivity?

• Options
    And David Brooks comes awfully close to calling Obama a thug
    BROOKS: And for all the talk at the end about the Philadelphia speech, the revealing moment when the Republicans applauded when he said he wasn't going to run again and he said—I forget the exact words—but like I beat you guys twice.

DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN: Won twice.

DAVID BROOKS: That was basketball court trash talk and that's also who he is. So the bipartisanship that's part of him but the trash talk, that's also part.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Trash talk my ass. If the Speaker of the House isn't going to do his damn job and maintain decorum, then don't talk shit when the President has to put the rude, out of order congress critters back in line.

• Options
    I can not stand how our media pretends that Obama has not been bipartisan despite him being extremely bipartisan to the point of harming his own goals multiple times. It really just betrays the "why doesn't a democrat do exactly what the republicans want 100% of the time" talking point.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Trash talk my ass. If the Speaker of the House isn't going to do his damn job and maintain decorum, then don't talk shit when the President has to put the rude, out of order congress critters back in line.

It's totally Obama trash talking the GOP. It's just Brooks is too stupid to notice that the GOP is the one that started it by applauding Obama not running for office again. He just bitch-slapped them back.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    BROOKS: And for all the talk at the end about the Philadelphia speech, the revealing moment when the Republicans applauded when he said he wasn't going to run again and he said—I forget the exact words—but like I beat you guys twice.

DAVID BROOKS: That was basketball court trash talk and that's also who he is. So the bipartisanship that's part of him but the trash talk, that's also part.

He's not implying thug, he's implying uppity.

Which was stand in for another word.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

They're both stand-ins for that other word.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You can practically feel these guys just boiling under the surface. I wonder if they just go home and yell it over and over into their pillow or something.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You can practically feel these guys just boiling under the surface. I wonder if they just go home and yell it over and over into their pillow or something.

I'm honestly shocked we haven't had an n word burst. I'm guessing they have latched on to thug as their stand in to prevent it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    There are apparently a large variety of dog-whistles available for sale.

• Options
    There are apparently a large variety of dog-whistles available for sale.

Yeah but its still amazing. Like my super racist grandfather when he was really flustered would drop n bombs as his default even for people who weren't black. So I'm shocked at the level of restraint from blatant racists not to revert to their true selves. I mean at least packer fans got that white guy named Kuhn so they can slur with impunity when a black running back does something.

"Wooops sorry thought that was the white guy, well you know it fits."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Are you referring to the "Well, this scientist who has dedicated his life to studying the subject sure has some interesting things to say on the subject, but let's hear the counterpoint from gas station attendant Billy Joe Thornberry who almost graduated high school!" type of objectivity?

no I'm mainly talking about how an article will be written in a just-the-facts tone and by all appearances will not have a bias but will conveniently leave stuff out or lend itself to a certain conclusion even if that's not accurate

also the very fucking gross habit of newspapers using unsigned editorials to give political arguments an air of journalistic credibility

the Seattle Times does this all the time and it's the main reason I don't subscribe to it

but yes that thing you mention is also super dumb and it's been a problem for at least as long as we've had tv news

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, a measles outbreak in SoCal has been traced back to Disneyland.

The reason why this is in the political media thread is because it's worth pointing out that the woman who is significantly responsible for turning Disneyland into a rat's nest of disease just happens to be on the Disney payroll as one of their daytime talk show faces. In light of this, perhaps Disney might want to reconsider that arrangement.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

The reason why this is in the political media thread is because it's worth pointing out that the woman who is significantly responsible for turning Disneyland into a rat's nest of disease just happens to be on the Disney payroll as one of their daytime talk show faces. In light of this, perhaps Disney might want to reconsider that arrangement.

... Jenny? Didn't she leave already?

• Options
    ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl will moderate a forum featuring three prominent GOP Senators on Sunday at an event hosted by a conservative political organization that has been called “the Koch Brothers’ secret bank.” While the event will be closed to media and the public — though streamed online — ThinkProgress has learned that ABC News will be paying for Karl’s travel and lodging for the Palm Springs, CA event.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »

... Jenny? Didn't she leave already?

She was one of the hosts of ABC's New Year's Eve in New York broadcast this year.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl will moderate a forum featuring three prominent GOP Senators on Sunday at an event hosted by a conservative political organization that has been called “the Koch Brothers’ secret bank.” While the event will be closed to media and the public — though streamed online — ThinkProgress has learned that ABC News will be paying for Karl’s travel and lodging for the Palm Springs, CA event.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING

Our liberal media.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/01/conservative-media-freaks-out-about-asu-whiteness-course/

I was worried when Hasselbeck arrived on fox she might increase the smartness of their programming, thank god that didn't happen.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING

I'm going to bring this out now, every time some dumbass screams liberal media and beat them with it.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING

Koch Brothers give no fucks

• Options
    Karl has always been a right wing mole.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Karl has always been a right wing mole.

Its less about that. People are free to be conservative or to moderate conservative forums. Indeed, it would be good if liberals moderated conservative forums.

The issue is that CBS is paying for his travel and lodging. Which is to say that CBS is explicitly supporting a partisan political move. CBS should not be paying the employment expenses for a political organization. Of which travel and lodging to finish a contract absolutely are.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    It's ABC, but this was obvious when they hired him. The only reason you hire him is because you want conservative advocacy in your journalism, so that they would pay for his trip to go do something explicitly partisan is completely unsurprising.

• Options
    You mean ABC.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Whatever, they're all shit

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    But remember the next time Karl asks a completely stupid question of Obama or his Press guy, its the Obama admin that's got the problems.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It's official. Tom Friedman has lost the last marble he had.

More context.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.