As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just One More Turn....

• Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It doesn't happen very often, but I do it. It's mostly pushing myself to finish a game.

The farthest back I can remember was Front Mission 3 on the PS1. By around midnight I had reached what I thought was the final boss. Then there was another mission. Ok, no big deal. Then another. Then another. Eventually, the credits. Woohoo!... ANOTHER MISSION!?

Phoenix Wright, and the sequel. Both of the final cases kept me up until 3 or 4 in the morning. Just one more Objection!...

And most recently, Earth Defense Force on the 360. The final missions were just too damn good to stop playing. I replayed the final mission, just because it was so awesome.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Last week, I downloaded the Puzzle Quest demo. I finally started playing it Thursday night, which kept me up a bit later than normal. The next day...well, I pretty much played that damned demo all day. "I'll just get enough gold to buy towers." "Ah, hell...I'll level up my rat a bit."

I was much worse with World of Warcraft. It usually started with "I'll just do this one quest so I can level up" which led to "Ooh, I have a new spell, let's test it" which became "Man, that spell is awesome, I'll just play until I figure out the best way to use it in combat" which, by the end, comes back to "Ah hell, I only need one more quest to level up, why not..." At the higher levels, it was "Just one more Stratholme/Scholomance run..." I'm taking a break from WoW for a while.

SteevL on
  • Options
    RikatixRikatix Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Back when i was in high school, one friday night i was planning on going out with some friends....but no one was camping the Ancient Cyclops in the Ocean of Tears in EverQuest. I ditched my friends and camped his ass till 5am but I'll be damned if I didn't get my Traveller's Boots.

I have never regretted it.

Rikatix on
    XBox Live: Realtruewarrior
    Wii: 8919.1676.0531.7255
    skull+funk-forumgames.png
  • Options
    CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can recall getting Guitar Hero 2 and playing it for hours and hours one day. I beat all songs starting from easy going to about half of hard. I was having a lot of trouble on hard and I had to keep practicing them when I get a phone call turns out I had forgot about band practice and my band was waiting at the practice space for about an hour and a half while I sat at home and practiced Guitar Hero heh.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Finishing System Shock 2 in one sitting. On my first try. It think I have a hedonist in me some where, because that shit is frightening. And it just keeps getting worse. And worse. And then you notice the daylight slowly growing outside the window just as you finish the game. Which seems strange, because you distinctly remember the sun going up 8 hours into the game when you went upstairs to make some food. And it hits you that you've been sitting in front of the computer for nearly 36 hours. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game that much since. Any game that can make me forget a whole day gets an A+ in my book.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Currently I am addicted to this

http://65.98.116.171/DesktopTD/

Garris on
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, this thread reminds me of how much I hated hearing birds singing.

"Counter Terrorists Win" is the best part of staying up. Screw Folger's.

TacoMan on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    august wrote: »
    Morrowind.

I put in a couple twelve hour days on that fucker.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ace Combat 4. I rented it from a local place so I only had it for 3 days. I never slept for those 3 days. Thank God for Army training its helped double my gaming time. :D

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When I first got my DS, the only game I got with it was Mario 64. I played it probably 8-9 hours a day straight until I got all 150 Stars. That was how I spent my summer vacation. Or a week of it anyway.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A game I quit playing for this very reason was Fate. The game could get pretty unforgiving pretty quick, and everytime you die, you would either have to give up experience, gold, or get randomly transported to a level either three higher or three lower -- with your gold left at the spot you died. I've had several fifteen minute games turn into six hour corpse runs. Too much time sucked away by that thing.

Doronron on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    METAL GEAR SOLID 2.

brought my PS2 over to a freinds house. While we were out, we bought it. Found out that I forgot my memory card.

Started at around 7pm.

Next thing I know, freinds asleep, and it's 1 in the morning.

Get to the final showdown with Solidus, and it's 8 am and his mom's making breakfest.

Transporter on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know I said Front Mission 4 earlier, and that is true. Mech customization is awesome, but my soul has been eaten again.

By Puzzle Quest. I've played from a full charge down to the red light three times now. Each time I swore to myself I'd just play one battle and then go to bed. Next thing I knew the battery was dying and my wife had gone to bed hours ago.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As others have said, Puzzle Quest takes all of the addictive juices of Bejeweled and stirs in the OCD collectathon nature of JRPGs. It's the most delicious cocktail I've had in months.

Funny this came up today; I'm all bleary-eyed today from staying up until 3 a.m. in a marathon gaming session. My wife's out of town, so I figured I could catch up on my backlog, so I powered through the last 5 Colossi on Shadow of the Colossus and then spent about 45 minutes with God of War II. I'm maddedningly tired and my head hurts ... but goddamn, was it worth it.

EDIT: As far as unscheduled gaming marathons, I've only had a few but they were all when I was sick. My favorite was when my roommate was out of town and I was snowed in at the apartment; between 10 p.m. on a Saturday and midnight on Monday, I spent about 17 hours rocking my face off with Resident Evil 4. I just couldn't put the controller down. I even tried going to sleep because I was sick and tired, but I couldn't because of a stuffy/runny nose, so after two hours of tossing and turning I just got back up and went back to shooting ganados in the head.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    I don't do it with games.

I do it with books.

And then I'm all "Oh shit it's 4 am".

Echo on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've done this a couple times with Wow but in my defense it's more the game's fault. I start an instance at a good hour and assume that I would be in and out before bedtime. Turns out the instance isn't as easy as I thought and after multiple wipes and corpse runs my group finally finishes the instance at 1 AM.

Dystopia though is what I'm really guilty for. I'd be in the middle of a game and say, "next time I die I'm going to bed." *BOOM* "HEADSHOT," "Uhhhh... That doesn't count" I don't recall correctly how long I staid up but man there were some good times with the demo. Maybe I should start getting into the full version...

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I've done this a couple times with Wow but in my defense it's more the game's fault. I start an instance at a good hour and assume that I would be in and out before bedtime. Turns out the instance isn't as easy as I thought and after multiple wipes and corpse runs my group finally finishes the instance at 1 AM.

Dystopia though is what I'm really guilty for. I'd be in the middle of a game and say, "next time I die." *BOOM* "HEADSHOT," "Uhhhh... That doesn't count" I don't recall correctly how long I staid up but man there were some good times with the demo. Maybe I should start getting into the full version...

Its a free download

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »

Dystopia though is what I'm really guilty for. I'd be in the middle of a game and say, "next time I die." *BOOM* "HEADSHOT," "Uhhhh... That doesn't count" I don't recall correctly how long I staid up but man there were some good times with the demo. Maybe I should start getting into the full version...

Its a free download

I know and I already have it, I just haven't played much of it.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    azuriceazurice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Disgaea 2. Oh god, I'm playing it right now and it's already almost 2am. I have to get to a lecture early tomorrow and I won't have slept and I'll probably spend the whole day thinking about how much my archer sucks and why the hell did I let Adell get to like, level 500 whilst the rest of my party is at level 90 or something. :P

The same thing happened with FFTA a year or two ago. The ultimate "I'll just finish this battle and then I'll go to bed no wait the next one won't take so long" game.

azurice on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Diablo 2. Co-op on a LAN with a friend.
    Roughly 48 hours.

Lately Puzzle Quest has been keeping me up at night when I know I need to work in a few short hours.
    God I even squeezed in a few rounds so I could pound some two headed ogre while I was here.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This used to happen all the time when I was younger with games like X-Com. In recent years Rome: TW and X2 have made me stay up to 3 in the morning, after staying 'just one more....' at about 11pm.

Cullen on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think EQ has made entire weekends fly by for me back in the day. WoW not so much since it's very pick up and play and get back out. RPGs definitely since you don't get sore hands etc like with an action game so you can zone out for hours. Thinking I'll clear a few more rooms of this cave and that's it...

I passed out during a recovery from a wipe in Chardok. I woke up on the couch with no memory of how I got there and when I groggily went back to my PC my character was standing at bind naked. Thank god for corpse summons.

My true bane is 4x games and RTS games that allow me to turtle though. I used to have a reputation for always being about 45 minutes late to damn near anything.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Disgaea 2. Oh god, I'm playing it right now and it's already almost 2am. I have to get to a lecture early tomorrow and I won't have slept and I'll probably spend the whole day thinking about how much my archer sucks and why the hell did I let Adell get to like, level 500 whilst the rest of my party is at level 90 or something

Haha. Yeah I just reincarnated everybody. Right after I did it I start thinking...What the hell have I just done. I didn't NEED to do that. I could've easily finished without doing that.

But yes, Archers suck. Gunners too actually.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Garris wrote: »

You son of a bitch

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm like this for pretty much every game. most recently Rogue Galaxy.

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You son of a bitch

Well there goes my afternoon.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You son of a bitch

Fucking cockgobblers.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm playing God Hand right now and every night before bed I tell myself "I'll just play up to the next save" at which point I say "I'll just see what's coming up and then quit" I usually end up playing through to the next save and realizing I'm about to get only like 4 hours of sleep. I then play to another save point and realize I'm about to get 3.5 - 3 hours of sleep. Usually I force myself to turn it off at that point. Thank goodness this doesn't happen too often or I'd be a zombie all day.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    breakzbreakz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TacoMan wrote: »
    Man, this thread reminds me of how much I hated hearing birds singing.

"Counter Terrorists Win" is the best part of staying up. Screw Folger's.

i agree on the first part. for me, it was seeing the morning light creep under my curtains.

breakz on
    thechompman.gif
    Now Playing - GRAW, FFIII DS, Ninja Gaiden Black, Phoenix Wright
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Occationaly I will game and not know the time. Thus, time will fly. I will not become tired. In fact, I will stop being aware of anything else. Then I will see the sun in the window. Look at the clock. 9am. And sleep will hit me like a fucking train. I would have to be in bed in 30 seconds else I would just hit the floor. If I am in the game lab at school and this happened, I just find an empty table and lay on it. This happened about once a month.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You son of a bitch

Fucking cockgobblers.

God damn it!!

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    breakzbreakz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You son of a bitch

Fucking cockgobblers.

i just spent like an hour and a half on that shit. dammit.

breakz on
    thechompman.gif
    Now Playing - GRAW, FFIII DS, Ninja Gaiden Black, Phoenix Wright
  • Options
    markmark Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Roughly 48 hours.

O_o

I've spent a few nights on Kotor 2... finished it in a few days, I was absolutely crazy with this game.
    I've just begun playing Kotor 1, and I feel it will be the same... :^:

mark on
    "I think Han Solo is the character we wish we were but we aren't, while Jar-Jar is the character we wish we weren't, but we are."
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stalker had me in its grips for a couple of nights. I'm not sure what it is about that game, but it just seems to lend itself to being played into the wee hours.

Trevor on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mark wrote: »
    Roughly 48 hours.

O_o

I've spent a few nights on Kotor 2... finished it in a few days, I was absolutely crazy with this game.
    I've just begun playing Kotor 1, and I feel it will be the same... :^:

It will be. It will be.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Give me a good FPS or RTS. When there's human competition it's either.

"Fuck, I have to redeem myself!"

or

"Fuck, i'm on a roll!"

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Give me a good FPS or RTS. When there's human competition it's either.

"Fuck, I have to redeem myself!"

or

"Fuck, i'm on a roll!"

So fucking true

or if someone gives you shit, you do not relent until you shut him up

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm...what's this Dystopia I hear about? It's already 5 am. I might as well give it a shot

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    http://www.dystopia-game.com/

Cyberpunk mod for HL2. Very good.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png