As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War Thunder: Playstation 4 version has launched! Crossplay confirmed!

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Good matches tonight! I'm really getting into this game now. Got a full complement of tier 2 Japanese planes unlocked, yay!

The Emperor will be pleased!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Getting real tired of matches ending in under a minute after a single pass by a couple of bombers that destroys an airfield. That mechanic really isn't working right.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Getting real tired of matches ending in under a minute after a single pass by a couple of bombers that destroys an airfield. That mechanic really isn't working right.

I guess these aren't seen much at the low tiers. Think I've only seen it a handful of times. Is it over too quick to go after the blighters?

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    It mostly happens in T3-4, its almost exclusively a thing that happens with Yer-2's, and there's not much you can do about it when they're on your side.

With the changes they made to most of the GS maps I'm kinda disappointed that base killing is still a thing.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Yeah. The main problem is the Yer-2, which has an absurd bomb load and can destroy a base singlehandedly in 4 passes, but in general it's a tier problem as bombers get better and better bombloads but airfield HP isn't adjusted correctly to compensate. If the enemy team's bombers dive for your airfield, you might be able to pick off one or two in time, but only a couple need to get through and it's all over.

This is why people have started flying high-altitude bombers as dive bombers - if things work right, fighters won't have time to kill you before the match is over, so you may as well gun for the airfield and hope it works out.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    You also get get four of 'em (plus another two if you bought 'em before the last patch), so if you're absolutely dedicated to getting that airfield kill you can just keep spawning.

To give an idea of the absurdity at play:
    B-17 bomb load: 1800kg
    Yer-2 bomb load: 5000kg

The B-17's was actually reduced from about 4000kg to its current figure in the last patch as well.

edited December 2013
    The B-17's current load is 2700kg-ish, but yeah, its pretty absurd that the Yer is getting to carry its overload capacity.

Though if you want to see who's really getting screwed, go look at the Lancaster's historical bombloads, and then look at what it gets in-game.

Now that's sad.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    The Yer-2s are pretty much why I quit playing Tier 3 completely; unless you want to climb and camp high altitudes (and luck out with teammates who will cover low), a lot of matches end in a couple minutes. Like, 75% of them.

I'm really hoping they iron out the matchmaker stupidity soon. I also don't like the battle values, because why the hell collapse the old tiers if you're only going to introduce another system that essentially does the same thing, but with less transparency?

Positivity: The P-400 is huge fun, and I wish it had been put in place of the P-39s from the start. And props to Gaijin for fixing the B-25's roll rate last week.

VT09mOz.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Well shock and horror, more soviet planes being ridiculous.

Just bought me the Ace pack, roll out premium time!

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    My recent takeaway from playing with the 161st over the last couple of days is "you will be tiered up no matter what you do." We tried bi-planes only, 1.3 BR and under, and we were still getting matched up against Hurricane Mk IIs and the like. We tried flying just upper tier one and lower tier two because @Kashaar had just picked up the game and we were getting matched up against tier three planes. And I know it's not skill-based because I'm not very good at this game.

• VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    My recent takeaway from playing with the 161st over the last couple of days is "you will be tiered up no matter what you do." We tried bi-planes only, 1.3 BR and under, and we were still getting matched up against Hurricane Mk IIs and the like. We tried flying just upper tier one and lower tier two because @Kashaar had just picked up the game and we were getting matched up against tier three planes. And I know it's not skill-based because I'm not very good at this game.

Most likely, you were just having bad luck with the matchmaker not being able to find reserve-only opponents and it stuck you with people within the 1.33 BR range currently allowed:
    From the forums:

Battle Rating for the planes is the same for every game mode right now. The temporary matchmaker attempts to gather enemies in such a manner that the player won’t see a plane with more than 1.33 battle rating difference than his plane. Rank of the planes creates an additional barrier – the player won’t see any plane that differs from his for more than one rank. For example, the German jet fighter Me.262, at the moment, has the battle rating of 7.3. That means that it will meet only planes of 5-th or 4-th rank with battle rating not being less than 5.97 and not more than 8.66. That is all jet planes and the best piston planes, for example the La-9 (battle rating of 6.3) or the BF.109K-4 (battle rating of 6.3). At the same time, most of the planes of rank 4 won’t meet Me.262 in the battle, since their battle rating, for the most part, is lower than 5.97. For example P.51 Mustang (rating 5.3), Spitfire.LF.Mk.IX (rating 5.3), Yak-9p (rating 5.7) – they are all located at the 4th rank, but none of them will meet Me.262. Also we should mention that the matchmaker is influenced not only by the rank and battle rating, but just like before – the player efficiency is also taken into account. In our example, a very bad pilot of the Me.262 theoretically can meet P.51 Mustang in a battle, but the chance of that happening is very low. But in the new matchmaker, thanks to the difference in ranks, there won’t be situations where the “lowest” jet planes will get a match with ‘medium’ piston planes – He 162A-2 will never meet a Yak-9 or P-63 Kingcobra.

I was able to find reserve-only matches during the biplane Winter Event achievement, but only because there were a bajillion other people doing the same thing.

VT09mOz.png
  • SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Hmm. That'd explain why the matchmaking seems all screwy; it's not the underlying system per se, but the range for battle rating and the fact some planes are probably under-rated and others over-rated(in terms of battle tier). That'd explain all the bullshit Hurricanes and Spitfires with 9001MGs I keep running into with tier 1 planes with 2 7.62s. The Hurricane MK II and Spitfire MK I have got a battle rating of 2.3, which means the starting reserve planes can face them, which is frankly stupid as shit. Hurricane MK I is worse with 8 MGs at a BR of 1.7. I'd argue they need to re-rate the early British line, it's super screwy and OP.

I think their system could work, but they need to go around and change a bunch of BRs, since it's pretty obvious some planes are facing plane's they're just not competitive with. Maybe have to reduce the BR down to + or - 1.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    That makes me wonder....
    When I play with the PBY Catalina and bomb the enemy bases, I often have really, really low efficiency, like <20%. That's because it takes forever for the plane to get to the base, and circle around or whatever as the bombs reload. I think if you also have the AI control the turrets, it doesn't count towards your efficiency because you're not actively doing something other than flying, which I think does not count towards efficiency, but I'd have to do more experimenting to play. Maybe that's how people are able to sneak the higher end Tier 2 Spitfires and whatnot into our Tier 1 matches.

I really just wished it locked tiers together, and that was that. No weird battles where you're in a Fury and you're trying to dogfight P-47s and whatnot. Maybe do some things with the battle ratings, so that you aren't in a Fury and fighting against the higher end Tier 1 stuff like the P-36Gs, for instance.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    yea, have the BR ratings tighter at the beginning end of the tiers so that reserves fight reserves and BR 1s fight BR 1s and then as you go further up the list, the BR deviation opens to what it is now.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • NijaNija Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    The SBD challenge was pretty fun. I'm a terrible Italian pilot though. Shoot down 12 enemy aircraft in a Italian plane? Nope.com.

The matchmaker's have been pretty terrible lately. Almost every game I'm in has upper Tier III planes (I'm looking at you, Yak 9's).

Nija on
    Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
    I mostly stick to realistic nowadays

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I mostly stick to realistic nowadays, plebes.

Is how I read that. :)

Did someone apply using the name rockrnger? If you apply for membership please say something in here so we know who's who

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I mostly stick to realistic nowadays

I've been meaning to give that a try. How is it different from arcade, and do you still use mouse aim like a dirty console person? Wait, that makes no sense. You know what I mean!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

What I've been noticing though is that those tier three guys we're flying against are generally pretty fucking bad. Same thing when we fly reserve planes, we still get matched up against complete morons in fancier planes. When I'm in a biplane and an airacobra tries to turn on me like 500 meters away then I know he's not that good because everyone should know better than to turn fight a biplane. There is no winning that fight, ever.

Same thing when we were doing tier 1 and fighting against a few tier 2 guys. We were seal clubbing the shit out of them which should not have been happening. Who else was in that squad @m!ttens?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Did someone apply using the name rockrnger? If you apply for membership please say something in here so we know who's who

That would be me.

I said something up thread but it took a while to apply.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

What I've been noticing though is that those tier three guys we're flying against are generally pretty fucking bad. Same thing when we fly reserve planes, we still get matched up against complete morons in fancier planes. When I'm in a biplane and an airacobra tries to turn on me like 500 meters away then I know he's not that good because everyone should know better than to turn fight a biplane. There is no winning that fight, ever.

Same thing when we were doing tier 1 and fighting against a few tier 2 guys. We were seal clubbing the shit out of them which should not have been happening. Who else was in that squad "m!ttens"?

I was.

That would make sense. I got 8 kills in one of my Russian biplanes. Several of which were definitely tier 2 at least.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    so i played a few games of this last night and it was ok but..do all the missions involve the same map/ground targets? a. i find the ground target stuff boring and would rather just dogfight and b. playing the exact same map 5 times in a row was..ehhh.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • NijaNija Registered User regular
    I think Peleliu is the only one without ground targets, however there are water units. The domination maps are more... dogfighter-y. The map type (upper left corner, when you are selecting your plane) will tell you the objective. Ground Target or Domination.

(Going from memory)

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
    so i played a few games of this last night and it was ok but..do all the missions involve the same map/ground targets? a. i find the ground target stuff boring and would rather just dogfight and b. playing the exact same map 5 times in a row was..ehhh.

When we get into a squad, I think we do really well because we cover each other. I've had times where I've covered people doing bombings, or knocked enemy fighters off our m!ttens' tail, for instance.
    Flying solo is kind of droll because everyone is out for themselves, and no one covers each other, so just getting into dogfights and furballs is kind of pointless, usually just wasting your planes from Chaikas and Spitfires and random one-shot pilot kill bullshit.
    What is your name in-game, and around what times do you play? Are you in the OOSIKs? (I don't have the game in front of me, to tell.) Join vent when you do, and we can annihilate some.

edited December 2013
    You can still play in an air superiority role and not worry about ground attack. Just focus on blowing up bombers/ground attack craft and keeping the fighters off of our guys.

OP CHANGELOG SHIT:
    Added another Youtube link to the OP and fixed the header logo.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

There's a fair number of maps, but it can feel pretty streaky where you end up. I've gone ages without seeing some maps, and seen a particular map several times in a row. My favorite is the one with the giant rock pillars, because weaving into those in a dogfight is rad.

s7Imn5J.png
    It's like doing a run on the Death Star, watching the TIE Fighters skip and bounce off the sides while you deftly maneuver!
    I love that map too because of that. Though often it seems everyone avoids it.

Same thing when we were doing tier 1 and fighting against a few tier 2 guys. We were seal clubbing the shit out of them which should not have been happening. Who else was in that squad @m!ttens?

This is my dark war thunder secret as to why I tend to get crazy KDRs when I fly low tier with people.

• TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular

Most likely, you were just having bad luck with the matchmaker not being able to find reserve-only opponents and it stuck you with people within the 1.33 BR range currently allowed:
    From the forums:

Battle Rating for the planes is the same for every game mode right now. The temporary matchmaker attempts to gather enemies in such a manner that the player won’t see a plane with more than 1.33 battle rating difference than his plane. Rank of the planes creates an additional barrier – the player won’t see any plane that differs from his for more than one rank. For example, the German jet fighter Me.262, at the moment, has the battle rating of 7.3. That means that it will meet only planes of 5-th or 4-th rank with battle rating not being less than 5.97 and not more than 8.66. That is all jet planes and the best piston planes, for example the La-9 (battle rating of 6.3) or the BF.109K-4 (battle rating of 6.3). At the same time, most of the planes of rank 4 won’t meet Me.262 in the battle, since their battle rating, for the most part, is lower than 5.97. For example P.51 Mustang (rating 5.3), Spitfire.LF.Mk.IX (rating 5.3), Yak-9p (rating 5.7) – they are all located at the 4th rank, but none of them will meet Me.262. Also we should mention that the matchmaker is influenced not only by the rank and battle rating, but just like before – the player efficiency is also taken into account. In our example, a very bad pilot of the Me.262 theoretically can meet P.51 Mustang in a battle, but the chance of that happening is very low. But in the new matchmaker, thanks to the difference in ranks, there won’t be situations where the “lowest” jet planes will get a match with ‘medium’ piston planes – He 162A-2 will never meet a Yak-9 or P-63 Kingcobra.

I was able to find reserve-only matches during the biplane Winter Event achievement, but only because there were a bajillion other people doing the same thing.

I would rather they just hardlock the lower tiers (at the very least) until they get their shit together. They're going to lose a lot of newer players due to pure frustration. Poor Kashaar there was buzzing around in a Ki-10 trying to plink at spitfires and P-39s, whereas last patch he would be going up against MAYBE hurricanes I's or the odd Lagg at the high end. Tier 1 doesn't exist.

edited December 2013
    I do agree there needs to be a FNG tier but theoretically the lower end planes flown by new guys should mostly just be flying against other players in new stuff or REAAAAAALLY awful higher tier 1 guys. Even then though, people see a plane fancier then there's and panic rather than just treat em like another target. I see tier 1 guys bitch about Airacobras but every single Airacobra pilot I've seen in that tier has been embarrassingly awful.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    So you've seen me fly, is what you're saying, TOG? :D

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The title of Embarrasingly Awful Plaen Guy goes to me, sorry, @L Ron Howard

Requirements:
    Battle Activity: 50%
    Mission Activity: 165 wins

Result?
    DAT ORANGE
    QUonyu1.jpg

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited December 2013
    Fun fact: Yesterday was the 80th anniversary of the I-16's first flight. The I-16 was the world's first low-wing cantilever monoplane fighter with retractable landing gear to attain operational status.

EDIT: I just found out why everyone bitches about YAK-9T. I just took mine out on its first flight and racked up about 5 or 6 kills in just a couple minutes. That 37mm cannon is broken as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. It's a rapid fire 37 that just farts bullets at a plane and it blows in half effortlessly. I don't even have the good ammo for it yet. D:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    so would you compare the yak's 37mm to a bolter or a dakka deff gun?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Fun fact: Yesterday was the 80th anniversary of the I-16's first flight. The I-16 was the world's first low-wing cantilever monoplane fighter with retractable landing gear to attain operational status.

EDIT: I just found out why everyone bitches about YAK-9T. I just took mine out on its first flight and racked up about 5 or 6 kills in just a couple minutes. That 37mm cannon is broken as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. It's a rapid fire 37 that just farts bullets at a plane and it blows in half effortlessly. I don't even have the good ammo for it yet. D:

I don't think the ammo type really matters at that point...

• Red M3naceRed M3nace Registered User regular
    So, I was going to by the Ace pack, but then I walked into a game store and bought this:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wings-of-glory/ww2-starter-set-wings-glory/

I couldn't help myself.

red-m3nace.png
This discussion has been closed.