As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    Falx wrote: »
    I bought a bag with a TSA lock on it. Hopefully it doesn't get ripped open when I visit the States(maybe) later this year.

Hopefully you'll have better luck, but my bag also had a TSA lock and it still got fucked up.

It's not necessarily TSA doing the fucking, too.

I've seen belt loaders do things to a bag ain't no man should see. *removes hat and clutches it to chest*

I am picturing a montage of like loaders being luggage with batons, and setting fire to them as screams are heard.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I can neither confirm nor deny that allegation.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I bought a bag with a TSA lock on it. Hopefully it doesn't get ripped open when I visit the States(maybe) later this year.

Hopefully you'll have better luck, but my bag also had a TSA lock and it still got fucked up.

I've seen belt loaders do things to a bag ain't no man should see. *removes hat and clutches it to chest*

Yeah, I don't doubt that too. Some older bags of mine have come out with all kinds of tears and scuffs and crunches. Can't wait till we get those hypertubes to take us everywhere

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    @Fishman If your bag has zippers there's no point in zip-tieing yo protect against intruders. From a security stand point they'll just cut them off. From a thieving standpoint all they need is a ball point pen to push the teeth out of alignment which means they can open your bag, then run the zipper back over the area to reseal it and make it look like it wasn't opened.

Yeah, like I say it's as much there to stop the bags just popping open or zips catching on shit and opening during transit. I've had far more incidences where it looks like a zipper caught on something and dragged itself open than I have genuine efforts to get into the bag (at least, as far as I can tell). I'm aware it really does shit-all except add one minor additional step of effort to someone determined to get in, which is why I don't really consider it a security step as I do something that stops accidental opening of the bag. The fact that I seem to be searched less than the average bear and throw up a minor inconvenience to anyone looking for a hassle-free score is just bonus.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Hard-sided luggage with heavy duty clasps instead of zippers is your best bet, but they aren't as stylish

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My suitcase got the handle snapped off when I flew back to the UK.

Poor creature. It was only its fourth journey.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Lost Salient where is that?

Heidelberg!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I remember when I was travelling in China by myself and everyone on my flight had collected their luggage and mine hadn't shown up yet after ten minutes by myself I was about to (try) and ask for help when by bag emerged, covered in grease.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    You guys have had the worst possible luck with traveling, I am so sorry.

If having a perfect luggage record is the trade-off for having God-awful gambling and TCG luck, that is an easy trade.

sarukun on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I am having a bit of trouble with my credit cards and hotels. My Discover card balance and available balance do not add up. There is a missing $372 which was about the cost of the hotel. My Wells Fargo card matches up but there is a missing charge for the hotel that I canceled on the day I was going to check in.

Does it take a pretty long time for this stuff to go through? It is really frustrating that I do not have a accurate count of what is available and what I owe.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Do your card websites usually show pending or temporary authorizations? It can take up to three business days for a transaction to actually go from pending to posted.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Do your card websites usually show pending or temporary authorizations? It can take up to three business days for a transaction to actually go from pending to posted.

They should. I called Discover (weird since I work for them) and they were able to see it on my account but it had not shown up pending yet. The other one on my Wells Fargo card is the really annoying one because unlike the Discover card that at least shows the accurate amount I have available but not the accurate owed amount, the Wells Fargo one shows nothing out of the ordinary. Everything matches up and I have not been charged yet.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I think that's really what traveling alone in other places is about. You have to be willing to let yourself engage in conversations with strangers. You end up having wonderful times!

It definitely can be for some people.

It isn't for me. For me, travelling alone is as much as anything about being able to go a few weeks in which I absolutely don't really need to talk to anyone unless I want to. It's about setting my own itinerary, and going a few weeks where I can put myself first and do exactly what I want to do, without needing to care about what anyone else wants or needs or thinks. I enjoy the solitude for its own sake.

I've finally mostly booked my next trip - I'm going to Ireland in May. Two days in Dublin, followed by six days in Belfast, followed by another six days in Dublin. There was a bit of sticker shock on this trip - the flight is super cheap (it's $300 less than any previous transatlantic flight that I've had) but the hotel prices in downtown Dublin are a bit higher than I budgeted for. Some of that is due to the weak Canadian dollar. Still, I'm excited. Just 101 days left until I go...

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Dublin is pretty expensive. But it's an awesome city. I am not a city person in general but I loved Dublin.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    What sorta stuff do you enjoy doing on trips?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Definitely don't miss the revenue museum

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    Definitely don't miss the revenue museum

I'll never get over missing that.

• Options
    I can reccomend some nice places to eat!

• Options
    Where was the place I ate a steak wrapped in a pancake? Everyone should eat there.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I'm going to visit my friend in Vermont and then maybe take a train up to Canada in February if everything isn't covered in this "snow" stuff I've heard so much about

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Just got back from Madrid and loved it. Wine is cheaper than soda and I took full advantage.

I didn't have anything untoward happen to me, but one coworker had his pocket picked, another had someone grab his phone out of his hand and almost get away, and another had his entire work bag (with laptop) stolen while he was checking into the hotel. Be vigilant.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    What sorta stuff do you enjoy doing on trips?

Castles and cathedrals, museums, as well as history in general, particularly pre-1945 history. In the case of Ireland, I'm apologetically not particularly interested in the history of its conflict with Great Britain, though I may visit the Kilmainham Gaol. Food isn't really one of the things that interest me on trips. And I don't drink a drop.

While in Dublin, the goal is to use trains and/or buses to get to Malahide Castle, King John's Castle, Cahir Castle, the Rock of Cashel, and Trim Castle. And probably Glendalough. While in Belfast, the goal is to make it to Derry (for the walls), the Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle, and Carrickfergus Castle. And then, to see as much of Belfast and Dublin as I can - the Book of Kells in particular is high on my want-to-see list.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    There's lots to see about the Famine and there's plenty of Cathedrals and churches around. St Patricks Cathedral is right in the city centre and has a viking exhibit in it as well. You've already got the main castles on your list. The giants causeway is aces.

Not really sure what'll be going on after Easter this year but you might kinda see a lot of stuff about the 1916 rising as it's the 100 year anniversary so prepare for that all over town and such in Dublin. I doubt there'll be much going on in Belfast for that.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    On a short ski trip right now. It's pretty great.

Look at this.

Edit - when I resized the picture
    Edit - now it's bad quality, but you get the gist of it.
    582q3pq86lpk.jpg

honovere on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'll be leaving for my ski trip a week from today. Woo!

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dear Boston, I know you've liked having me but please let me go, now flight delay extends to 7 hours....

edit: and now its out to 9hrs

edit: now its 10.5

ameybes on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I think that's really what traveling alone in other places is about. You have to be willing to let yourself engage in conversations with strangers. You end up having wonderful times!

It definitely can be for some people.

It isn't for me. For me, travelling alone is as much as anything about being able to go a few weeks in which I absolutely don't really need to talk to anyone unless I want to. It's about setting my own itinerary, and going a few weeks where I can put myself first and do exactly what I want to do, without needing to care about what anyone else wants or needs or thinks. I enjoy the solitude for its own sake.

I've finally mostly booked my next trip - I'm going to Ireland in May. Two days in Dublin, followed by six days in Belfast, followed by another six days in Dublin. There was a bit of sticker shock on this trip - the flight is super cheap (it's $300 less than any previous transatlantic flight that I've had) but the hotel prices in downtown Dublin are a bit higher than I budgeted for. Some of that is due to the weak Canadian dollar. Still, I'm excited. Just 101 days left until I go...

Quite late here but I don't think we're in disagreement. My point is more that when you find yourself in a situation when traveling alone where something doesn't pan out, or you aren't enjoying yourself, it can be very valuable to have the ability to push past the instinctive fear of making yourself vulnerable, or appearing like a tourist or seeming ignorant. I'm not saying you should HAVE TO talk to anyone. I'm saying that you have to have a little willingness and openness to new experiences and opportunities.

Do what you enjoy, man.

That said, if you have an entire vacation in a foreign country and never engage in dialogue with people who live there, I think you're missing out on a great deal of the actual society and culture you're enjoying.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    So I'm flying to Utah for two weeks tomorrow.

Or rather, today.

I need to be up at 7, and of course I can't get to sleep. It's now 2am and I'm considering just saving the whole sleep thing for my loooong flight.

I hate it when this happens!

• Options
    I too get awful travel anxiety when I have early flights. The night before a flight I often dream about waking up like hours late for that flight and drives me nuts!

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Ah, there's my alarm.

I filled the time by watching 21 Jump Street followed quickly by 22 Jump Street.

Heck of a night.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I too get awful travel anxiety when I have early flights. The night before a flight I often dream about waking up like hours late for that flight and drives me nuts!

I hate those. Really glad that my flights in and out of Japan are in the evening.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    1. Miss bag check in by minutes, am told I will have to change to a much later flight.
    2. Log into Delta app while waiting, and see that my bag is actually on the flight I was originally booked for, while I wait here at JFK another 2.5 hrs

can't win

• Options
    Bear with me here when I say this:

I am fairly sure that is a deliberate action on the part of JFK to ensure that your time at the airport is as humanly close to time spent in a ring of hell as possible.

Because like... I think it's fairly common, or at least not unusual, for baggage to end up not taking the same flight as the passenger, especially with delays and stuff.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    ameybes wrote: »
    1. Miss bag check in by minutes, am told I will have to change to a much later flight.
    2. Log into Delta app while waiting, and see that my bag is actually on the flight I was originally booked for, while I wait here at JFK another 2.5 hrs

can't win

Was it an international flight? Because they arbitrarily demand 2 hours before takeoff to check a bag going international.

• Options
    Nope, JFK to Chicago O'Hare

• Options
    Like I said.

Ring of hell.

Ooh I also love how at ATL, a major international hub, they have absolutely zero provisioning for passenger transfers from delayed incoming flights from international locations, and invariably a queue at customs/immigration that stretches out of the immigration area, around the corner and down with no organization what so ever.

I THINK IT'S GREAT! YOU'RE A GREAT AIRPORT, ATLANTA! A LITERAL GARBAGE FIRE OF A GREAT NIGHTMARE AIRPORT!

(...it is on my top-three list of worst airports.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    At Melbourne Airport international terminal, they eschew signage in favour of having a guy shouting instructions at you in English, which says a lot for how we accommodate non-English speakers

ameybes on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hey travel thread.

I've been thinking.

I wanna go on a good vacation to somewhere international next year for a week or two, but I utterly hate traveling alone, my friends are generally unable to get away for an extended length of time, I'm single, and I don't particularly want to go with my family to something like that.

Any other SE folks in that boat?

We already travel, many of us multiple times a year, to meet up at paxes or flopax or various meetups. Has there ever been discussion of a big SE++ vacation or cruise or something?

Right now this is just an idea that popped in my head. No location, no dates, no real planning yet. But I'm curious if it's ever been attempted or if there would be any real interest in it if it was scheduled far enough in advance that people could request the time away, get passports in order, and work stuff out with families.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    @Sheri Disney Cruise!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Brogey wrote: »
    Sheri Disney Cruise!

This is acceptable!