As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Currently in the Lake District, England.

View of Blea Tarn from the top of Side Pike, Langdale:

ma3dg0n29onu.jpg

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    God it's so green.

I forgot how green it is.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    damn, I wish the UK weren't so expensive to visit

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I mean, that's kind of heart-clenchingly gorgeous. I suppose.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I really need to visit Europe one of these days.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    sitting around a waiting to go to the airport is a real weird experience

you just want to pass the time, but i'm just a bit too tense and distracted to play videogames or watch or read something, and i don't even want to start something that i can't commit to finishing and ugh

once i'm actually at the airport and on the plane everything's great, but this whole lead up just gets unbearably tense

and i just keep on thinking about whether i forgot to pack anything, but it also turns out that you really don't need much at all when you are travelling beside clothes, some toiletries and medicine and electronics, and some books. And all the stuff that falls into those subcategories.

• Options
    Check that you have enough underwear again. That should burn a couple of minutes. Then zip everything up, go to another room, then go check and make sure you have enough socks.

This is the Jedoc™ packing method, and it will both pass the time and guarantee that you have everything you need to pack except one item that you absolutely need, such as toothpaste or a charging cable.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah I always forget something, so it's nice to have a good half hour so I can figure out what that one thing was, pack it, then walk out and leave my passport on the table.

• Options
    funnily enough, since i'm still in student accomodation and all my stuff is pretty much just in my bedroom, i've got the great method of figuring out whether i've forgotten to pack things by just looking at my desks and shelves and thinking "is there anything on this that i actually want for this trip", and the answer is normally nah, not really

• Options
    I will say that there's no better way to start to a french summer holiday than to wake up in your house in sydney and realise that your breath is condensing as you are standing around in your kitchen

• Options
    Today we've been on a walk around Derwent water, Keswick, Lake District.

Nice view down Derwent water towards various hills/mountains:

femxnndrztru.jpg

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That's stunning.

Also may I recommend obsessive checklist creation pre-travel? It really helps me be 99.99% sure that I haven't forgotten something critical. Then all I have left to do before I leave is to take out and put back books.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Always Be Checklisting.

sig.gif
  • Options
    20 hours is a lot of flying

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I have a couple checklists floating around depending on if I was able to find the checklist from the last time I went anywhere. I re-used one this time, and it worked, though this time I'm in Colorado and wound up forgetting the hat I use for hiking, but that's probably okay since I don't think I could flatten it too well anyway.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I make new ones for every trip, usually three or four for various sub-tasks, and often months in advance.

Because I'm crazy.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Because of my packing style i have 3 charging cables for my phone.

And a spare iphone one for my family.

• Options
    I make new ones for every trip, usually three or four for various sub-tasks, and often months in advance.

Because I'm crazy.

Lists are dicey for me. On the one hand, they're a necessity if I don't want to forget things like shoes. On the other hand, I never remember to put everything I need on a list so if I adhere to one strictly, I'm fucked.

I tend to use them as minimal guidelines.

• Options
    View of Lake Windermere from the side of Wansfell pike near Ambleside:

27mf9dz1ys3h.jpg

• Options
    With the amount of calcium in coastal french tapwater, i probably won't need to brush my teeth for this entire trip

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Boston subway used to spit out 1-dollar coins if you ask for change. I once ended up with like 12 of the fuckers. Getting rid of them took most of the rest of that trip to the US.

Late to the party, but when I went to Seattle last October I bought a ticket for the light rail at a machine, and it spit out 17 dollar coins in change. I didn't think much of it, because that's what our machines do too, but people looked at me funny when I paid with them.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Boston subway used to spit out 1-dollar coins if you ask for change. I once ended up with like 12 of the fuckers. Getting rid of them took most of the rest of that trip to the US.

Late to the party, but when I went to Seattle last October I bought a ticket for the light rail at a machine, and it spit out 17 dollar coins in change. I didn't think much of it, because that's what our machines do too, but people looked at me funny when I paid with them.

One time when I tried to pay for something with them, the cashier looked at me and said "oh, I collect those!"

• Options
    This draft has been saved in my TinyLetter's outgoing folder for almost two months now, but the only thing I'd actually written was "There are always Australians wherever you go," which is a much thinner premise than I thought it might be. I don't have much to say about the topic, except that whenever I have gone traveling, or whenever a friend of mine has gone traveling, no matter the destination, there have always been a statistically improbable number of Australians there. Were I to travel to the Moon, I have no doubt there would be a friendly Australian dude hanging out at the spaceport there, whose job description I would find curiously vague and whose source of income even vaguer. Think back to the last trip you took – whether it was a road trip to the nearest national park or an international orgy sponsored by Hedonism Bot. Did you encounter an Australian person there? Did they seem to have been on the fifteenth week of a vacation with no definable endpoint? Did they graciously offer you some Emergen-C or ibuprofen, which they seemed always to have to hand? I rest my case.

So this is self-evidently true. What's up with that?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    It's a very long term global infiltration effort.

• Options
    Literally every Australian I've ever met abroad had been on the fifteenth week of a vacation with no definable endpoint. I basically want to know what your paid vacation policies are like, and how I can get one.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I think the federal minimum is four weeks? Obviously beyond that it varies by company but a lot of places* are very relaxed/understanding about extended unpaid leave.

*Especially the sort of places people in their twenties are likely to work. Our remarkable density of independent coffee shops per head of population might also be a factor.

• Options
    It might not be an actual factor, but it also feels like that since getting anywhere from australia is already so expensive, you might as well go for a long time

• Options
    On the ibuprofen thing, neurofen sells little plastic pots of 100ish pills which nowhere else seems to sell

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    It might not be an actual factor, but it also feels like that since getting anywhere from australia is already so expensive, you might as well go for a long time

Yeah, I don't even bother going home for Christmas unless I can do it for three weeks. Between price, distance and jetlag it's just not worth it.

Most Australians I know have spent anywhere from three months to two years bumming around the world, but I don't want to generalize too much cause there's are socio-economic factors at play.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    It's much easier and makes perfect sense if you think of Australians as being repulsive (like magnets*). The problem is that Australia is filled with Australians, and therefore everyone in Australia wants to get as far away from their compatriots as possible; thus ending up spreading themselves as thinly as possible like a thin greasy film smeared over all accessible corners of the globe, making it harder and harder to find places that are actually genuinely Australian-free.
    *You can also think of them as repulsive the other way if you want, too.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Isn't this what "Down Under" is about

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    It's much easier and makes perfect sense if you think of Australians as being repulsive (like magnets*). The problem is that Australia is filled with Australians, and therefore everyone in Australia wants to get as far away from their compatriots as possible; thus ending up spreading themselves as thinly as possible like a thin greasy film smeared over all accessible corners of the globe, making it harder and harder to find places that are actually genuinely Australian-free.

It's cute how much you guys think about us.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    This draft has been saved in my TinyLetter's outgoing folder for almost two months now, but the only thing I'd actually written was "There are always Australians wherever you go," which is a much thinner premise than I thought it might be. I don't have much to say about the topic, except that whenever I have gone traveling, or whenever a friend of mine has gone traveling, no matter the destination, there have always been a statistically improbable number of Australians there. Were I to travel to the Moon, I have no doubt there would be a friendly Australian dude hanging out at the spaceport there, whose job description I would find curiously vague and whose source of income even vaguer. Think back to the last trip you took – whether it was a road trip to the nearest national park or an international orgy sponsored by Hedonism Bot. Did you encounter an Australian person there? Did they seem to have been on the fifteenth week of a vacation with no definable endpoint? Did they graciously offer you some Emergen-C or ibuprofen, which they seemed always to have to hand? I rest my case.

So this is self-evidently true. What's up with that?

Should I introduce you to my friend from highschool who is currently in month 5 of travelling around the world with her husband? They're yachting around Greece currently...

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hey

Who here lives in or near Seattle or has travelled there

I'm going there before going to Vancouver/Whistler for a wedding

My mom is coming with me for some mom son bonding time cuz why not (I was originally gonna visit friends but I need to spend me some more mom time)

Its August

I'm flying in late Friday night and my mom is leaving Tuesday night

Are there any short nature excursions you'd recommend that would be feasible?
    Like, I'm happy just spending either Saturday or Monday night in the city, and then the other 2 nights somewhere further afield that's more scenic (islands, mountains, forests, whatever)

I understand that August is busy time for nature in Seattle, but lmk if you have good ideas

poo
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

It's cute how much you guys think about us.

Real talk, I have never met an Australian that did not mention New Zealand, sooooo

your mileage may vary, I suppose...

• Options
    stop ruining my burn.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I'm American, it is my job to ruin all things.

Edit: I haven't figured out who to invoice for it yet, but do what you love and the money will come, as the saying goes....

sarukun on
  • Options
    So, even with my general anxiety with talking to people, i feel like the window seat is still better than the ailse, not only because of the view, but also because everyone is inevitably going to bother everyone else when they get up, since pissing on an 8 hour journey is inevitable, and i would rather bother people at my own pace, rather than be bothered when i'm in the middle of something.

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    So, even with my general anxiety with talking to people, i feel like the window seat is still better than the ailse, not only because of the view, but also because everyone is inevitably going to bother everyone else when they get up, since pissing on an 8 hour journey is inevitable, and i would rather bother people at my own pace, rather than be bothered when i'm in the middle of something.

I like the window because I have the bladder of an titanium rhino and can usually hold it for 12-14 hours without a problem. Windows let me be completely uninterrupted

BUT I'm now mildly paranoid about blood clots, so I've been picking the aisle seat for long flights so I can stretch my legs without bugging anybody
    aisle still sucks though.

• Options
    Funnily enough i was actually meant ti have the ailse seat but when i got here a couple had already sat down and taken it and i didn't particularly feel like moving them.over so oh well i kinda prefer it this way