As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Totally referring to us as a "pro tag team" from now on.

"Lost Salient" What day/date are you arriving in Melbourne?

Wednesday the 25th at 8:50 in the morning, as of me buying those suddenly-two-hundred-cheaper-tickets last night. If you could help out I would gladly bring you some sort of Singaporean bribe!

You can also just hire a big locker at the bus station where the shuttle from the airport drops you off for a few hours until you can check in at your hotel.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Actually yes that is also an option that I completely forgot existed.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ryanait is just the worst.

"We decided to only grow by 4% this last quarter instead of 9%, that's why your return flight next month has been cancelled along with severeal thousands more. Feel free to book another flight" - No flights available for 5 days befor or after the flight date. At least we are among those that got the heads up fairly in advance and not like a day before the travel date like they did with a bunch of people. Also they didn't "decide" to grow less, they fucked up their personnel scheduling.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Don't some hotels allow you to store luggage with them if you get there before your room is ready? Can you try that?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Don't some hotels allow you to store luggage with them if you get there before your room is ready? Can you try that?

Yeah, I've done this at nearly every hotel I've ever arrived at hours before check-in. I've only had a hotel say no once, and that was also probably the smallest hotel I've ever stayed at.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Yeah, I've done this at nearly every hotel I've ever arrived at hours before check-in. I've only had a hotel say no once, and that was also probably the smallest hotel I've ever stayed at.

They've also been nice enough to hold onto my stuff after I check out, so I can explore the city for a bit before I go back to the hotel, grab my bags, and head to the airport/bus station/etc.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yes, hotels frequently allow you to both store your baggage before check-in and after check-out.

But we're staying at an AirBnB in this case. :wink:

E: anyway, it's all sorted, with great assistance from @Cyvros - who by the way now is on the spot to tell me what sort of flavors and items from Singapore will be most welcome as a thank-you.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yes, hotels frequently allow you to both store your baggage before check-in and after check-out.

E: anyway, it's all sorted, with great assistance from @Cyvros - who by the way now is on the spot to tell me what sort of flavors and items from Singapore will be most welcome as a thank-you.

So this one time I was on my way from Montreal to Barrie to meet @Melding by rail and had to make a transfer in Toronto. It was super late but my first time there and so like I HAD to go up the CN tower because I always wanted too, and so with all my luggage I ran as fast as I could from the Via Rail station over to the CN tower and when I got there I realized they wouldn't let me go up it with my back pack and rollers and rod holder so I ran over to the aquarium and learned they have a bag valet there for people as insane as I am and so I quickly went up the tower and scared people by jumping on the glass floor then went back down and ran as fast as I could back to the station to catch the last buss of the night up to Barrie as it was boarding. I think I also took a selfie and bought some really cheesy things in the gift shop.

Edit: This has very little to do with your post other than the word luggage but somehow your post reminded me of that story. I also learned with all that running that I was not in nearly as good of shape as I thought.

Chimera on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular

Hmm... well if you insist, I wouldn't say no to dodol.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So, first EAPAX question, where all does everybody wanna go?

I’m voting Japan mostly because food and nostalgia, but I have been there and it would probably be better to go somewhere else.

If we go around Chinese New Year, though, it’d probably be hanami time in Japan and that’d

Pretty
    Dope.

sarukun on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I'm leaving for Tokyo tomorrow.

My chauffeur collects me at 10:50AM

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Man I wish I had the money for EAPAX, that sounds rad, and Japan is at the top of my list of places I want to see.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm leaving for Tokyo tomorrow.

My chauffeur collects me at 10:50AM

Maaan I wish I was there to meet up with you/show you around/listen to Lady Gaga!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I would fucking love to go on a trip somewhere, especially if I had friends to go with. I am long, long overdue for a real vacation.

I've never really left the country beyond a couple cruises. My passport should still be good right now.

If y'all don't mind having me along lemme know, I might be in.

rhylith on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm voting Ulaanbaatar or the top of Mount Everest

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    I would fucking love to go on a trip somewhere, especially if I had friends to go with. I am long, long overdue for a real vacation.

I've never really left the country beyond a couple cruises. My passport should still be good right now.

If y'all don't mind having me along lemme know, I might be in.

Death rabbits are always welcome.

Boosh.

• Options

I’m fat, so, i’ll Wish you good luck and get drunk at base camp.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    http://www.jrailpass.com/blog/japan-cherry-blossom-forecast/amp

Hanami season was late this year, but it seemed like everybody was kinda leaning towards Japan, and we’re aboooooout 6 months out at the mo if it takes until late March like it did last year. Going by the previous year is a bit of a dangerous business, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

Hanami. Hanami is dope. If we do want to do Japan after all, and it’s gonna be early in the year, then this is what i wanna do; take a long weekend in Osaka, get some beers and bento, find a public park and chill, then get silly on karaage and karaoke (and more beers) in the evening. I don’t really want to spend longer than a half day in Tokyo, if that.

Thoughts! Is everybody else suuuuuper interested in Tokyo, if Japan is indeed where we do this thing?

sarukun on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hrrmmmm. I hate to be the party pooper... And this is in no way saying that people should not go to Japan, but Japan is a bit far away for me to be feasible in the next six months. It would mean that EAPAX was no longer a doable weekend trip, basically, and I won't have the vacation. (It's a ~7 hour flight to Tokyo from Singapore.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Japan is good for me just because I already know people there and the lay of the land and all, but I'll be there off and on anyway so I'm down for whatever gets the most people in one place. That being said, drunken Japanese-style karaoke is extremely high on my vacation hierarchy of needs, so somewhere that lets us do that is a big plus in my book.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

It looks like I'll need less time off at Christmas than I originally thought, so I was going to take back all of that vacation that I'd used. And it kind of occurred to me: why not just use it on a vacation? And pretty much as I had that thought, I saw a thing on German Christmas markets. And then I found out that until December 14th, I can get a 15% discount on Air Canada plane tickets through work. And then I saw that I could get a train from London to Cologne; it'd be a four hour trip. And then I started crunching numbers, and after ensuring that I was around for necessary start-of-month reporting at work, I could leave for London on the night of December 4, coming back on the 13th, and that I could spend a night in London, five nights in Cologne (and oh hey, happy birthday to me while I'm there), and then two nights in London, and still be very happily well within my personal annual budget.

(I could of course fly straight to Cologne, but the price would be higher than the price of a ticket to London and then the train to Cologne, and I get antsy after more than about six hours on a plane; it'd be a 13 hour trip for me to go from home to Cologne, whereas it's six hours to London and then four by train to Cologne, so. . .)

But now I'm also looking at how early I'd need to get up to get a train from Cologne to Nuremburg for their Christmas market and to see the courthouse where the Nazi leadership was tried (4 hour trip each way; I LIVE for 5am starts and sleeping on trains!), to get from Cologne to Trier to see the Porta Nigra and other Roman remnants and their Christmas market (3 hours; I'll sleep in until seven that day!), and to get from Cologne to Hohenzollern Castle near Hechingen (3.5 hours by train, plus a one hour walk from the rail station, easy-peasy). There's a fair amount of other places I'd like to see, but limited trip duration and that many would be closed for the season does limit my choices. I'm mulling over replacing Hohenzollern Castle in particular - it's mostly a palace, not a castle, despite its origins, and I don't care much for palaces, crenelated or not. Rothenburg might easily replace it on the list, given their medieval walls and buildings (I'd be there too early for their Christmas market though).

And then I was checking to see what shows are playing in London (hmm, I've never seen An American in Paris. . .). And I could almost certainly find something to see or do in London during the day. It is London after all. Absolute worst case scenario, I still haven't visited Saint Pauls, the Sherlock Holmes museum and I could go full tourist and go Christmas shopping at Harrods

Basically, the only things stopping me are a) it'd be a fairly short trip as my trips go; b) oh god the pile of work waiting for me will be horrific, c) while the Christmas markets would be something new and different for me, I might nevertheless get more out of visiting Germany if I waited until the spring when the Rhein castles are more open to the public, d) while it'd be relatively cheap, it's still money, and while I'm well ahead of my savings goals I didn't get that way by spending money. But man, the travel bug is biting me hard right now.

One way or another, I'll probably either give up on the idea or pull the trigger next Tuesday, when air fare reaches its likely cheapest point.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Wyborn and I will be in Japan around hanami season! Not sure if our schedules will line up with EAPAX since we're touring in a whirlwind fashion

But it'd be really funny if our first "PAX" was EAPAX :P

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    GERMAN CHRISTMAS MARKETS ARE THE MOST CHRISTMAS BEST TIME EVER

My parents are talking about doing London for Christmas and I really don't... I shouldn't take vacation, since I'm saving days for my B4 trip. But I've been dreaming of London Christmas since I sated my German Christmas urges.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yep - there's a reason why "German Christmas Markets" pop up in pretty much every city centre over here for most of December.

Wandering out the stalls of tatt with a hot hog sandwich is the best.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Gosh, that does sort of poop the party, although it seems like a lot of folks are way into the idea. Discussions must continue! Other possibilities should be suggested! We’ll maybe take a poll in a few weeks and see what works best for the majority!

Also there’s now a slim chance that I might not be able to afford it thanks to a sudden and very annoying shit in hours at work! And I’m pretty fucking furious about it! Like, time to fucking move, furious!

• Options
    Well we can always shift the date around to give you some extra time. I am pretty much on board for anything that is four hours or under away. Five plus pretty much means it's not a weekend trip anymore...

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    GERMAN CHRISTMAS MARKETS ARE THE MOST CHRISTMAS BEST TIME EVER

My parents are talking about doing London for Christmas and I really don't... I shouldn't take vacation, since I'm saving days for my B4 trip. But I've been dreaming of London Christmas since I sated my German Christmas urges.

What is worth doing in London in early December? If I go through with my plan, I'd be in London on December 5, the afternoon of December 11, and all day December 12.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Check out the theatre and museums. Weather will probably be miserable so the parks and gardens are less fun, but all the markets should be nice and dickensian.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Check out the theatre and museums. Weather will probably be miserable so the parks and gardens are less fun, but all the markets should be nice and dickensian.

Which markets should I prioritize?

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Which markets should I prioritize?

Depends what you're into! Covent Garden for weird busking and art installations. Greenwich does indie designers, Alfies does antiques. Berwick st and Spitalfield for thrift and fashion. Portabello or Brick Lane for the atmosphere and a phenomenal quantity of bullshit. Maybe Borough Market for food, but I don't know what that's like in winter, might not be worth it.

• Options
    Hmm, found a map of London markets.

markets_map.jpg

Assuming the days open remain accurate, I think that that means I would be going to the Convent Garden Market, the Borough Market, and maybe the Camden Passage and Camden Lock markets. I'm not much interested in clothes or antiques or jewelry or fabrics; food and crafts tend to be what I'd focus on.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Ahh fahck I just realized that if I skip London I'll miss out on the new opera-centric exhibit at the Victoria and Albert that I was really excited to read about...

E:Shadowhope you're better off relying on recommendations from others. I've only been to London once, for a twelve hour layover, on what I'm told was the one freakishly beautiful day in August.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    it's a bit out the way, and I was last there about 6 years ago, but the Brixton markets were a lovely time

my aunt who lives near them is coming to visit tomorrow, so I'll ask her for further recommendations when she's here.

• Options
    If it is, somehow, sunny, the boat trip down to Greenwich is pretty fun. And then you can go see where time was invented, or something.

• Options
    If it is, somehow, sunny, the boat trip down to Greenwich is pretty fun. And then you can go see where time was invented, or something.

I’ve done that! Well, not the boat part, I took the train. This will actually be my fifth time visiting London. That it’s a six hour direct flight from where I live makes it a pretty handy initial destination to fly to - I start in London, and then. I’ve on to my main destination.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Thinking of going to Rome next year for my birthday.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what to do/see?

Were pretty set on The Vatican and the Coliseum and we've found a reputable tour company that do really interesting tours of both.

• Options
    Ostia antiqua is worth a trip out of the city, if you want to get away from the crowds

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Ostia antiqua is worth a trip out of the city, if you want to get away from the crowds

Wow that looks really nice, thanks!

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Also, make sure to visit the Galleria Borghese. It has some very famous Bernini sculptures. Seeing them in real life, being able to walk around them and see the light and shadow shift as you move, is absolutely amazing compared to seeing them in a 2D picture or video.

The Trevi(sic) fountain recently had red food dye put into it, so it might not be as awesome, but do go visit it and the Spanish Steps.

When you're near the Colosseum, also visit the Forum. Near by there is a war museum or the capital building (I forget which) that has an elevator up a bunch of stairs and in the back that let's you go to the top and you get a pretty good view of both Forum and Colosseum from there.

Pantheon. Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano. They're both short but fun historical places.

ps, use a money belt. no joke. the pick pockets there are world class.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Also, make sure to visit the Galleria Borghese. It has some very famous Bernini sculptures. Seeing them in real life, being able to walk around them and see the light and shadow shift as you move, is absolutely amazing compared to seeing them in a 2D picture or video.

The Trevi(sic) fountain recently had red food dye put into it, so it might not be as awesome, but do go visit it and the Spanish Steps.

When you're near the Colosseum, also visit the Forum. Near by there is a war museum or the capital building (I forget which) that has an elevator up a bunch of stairs and in the back that let's you go to the top and you get a pretty good view of both Forum and Colosseum from there.

Pantheon. Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano. They're both short but fun historical places.

ps, use a money belt. no joke. the pick pockets there are world class.

So much this. Do something to keep your valuables safe at all times. When I used to work in travel there was no place on earth where our clients had more shit stolen than Rome. People would get purses or duffle bags stolen from right at their feet while sitting in a chair in their hotel lobby. Wallets would get pick pocketed. And that was after we'd warn them repeatedly to be careful.