As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I have never, not once “smelled the bathroom” on a flight, even while IN the bathroom.

Either I have been profoundly lucky on all of the dozens of globe-rounding I’ve taken in my life, or some of these consideration points are fabricated entirely from an anxious mind and are better left out of your planning process.

Looking over my life and my balance on “luck”, I am inclined to believe it is the latter.

You are either profoundly lucky or have a very different sense of smell than I do. Based on my own flight experiences, I wouldn't take a seat within 3-4 rows of a bathroom no matter how much more leg room it offered me than other options - and I'm over 6 feet tall and just about always wishing for more room in an airplane seat.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah user reviews are about as unreliable to me as anything. People love to exaggerate or just plain fabricate all kinds of issues.

For me, the only question is what is actually important to me? Is the lack of a window or exact window placement actually an important aspect of your flight? Enough to consider spending more by itself? Enough to discourage you from spending more on an otherwise ideal upgrade? Being informed is definitely important, but spending time worrying about exactly how much window view you may or may not get or the precise temperature range (which is a crapshoot on every flight anyway) just seems like worrying for worrying's sake.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Last time I had a seat near the bathroom I had dickheads leaning on my seat the entire journey, making it move every time. It was hell. Never again.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Last time I had a seat near the bathroom I had dickheads leaning on my seat the entire journey, making it move every time. It was hell. Never again.

those people can burn on the same level of hell as the ones who grab onto the seat in front of them in order to haul themselves up

fuck those people

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I have never, not once “smelled the bathroom” on a flight, even while IN the bathroom.

Either I have been profoundly lucky on all of the dozens of globe-rounding I’ve taken in my life, or some of these consideration points are fabricated entirely from an anxious mind and are better left out of your planning process.

Looking over my life and my balance on “luck”, I am inclined to believe it is the latter.

You are either profoundly lucky or have a very different sense of smell than I do. Based on my own flight experiences, I wouldn't take a seat within 3-4 rows of a bathroom no matter how much more leg room it offered me than other options - and I'm over 6 feet tall and just about always wishing for more room in an airplane seat.

Over six feet is for sure a major concern, and I would say the primary factor.

I will also not rule out allergies/muted sense of smell, but the idea of an airplane bathroom haveing any kind of smell is equal parts baffling and profoundly upsetting to me.

I will also allow that the airline I tend to fly has an above average cleaning regimen.

What airline are we talking about here?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I will also not rule out allergies/muted sense of smell, but the idea of an airplane bathroom haveing any kind of smell is equal parts baffling and profoundly upsetting to me.

I will also allow that the airline I tend to fly has an above average cleaning regimen.

United, American, Delta, BA, Lufthansa, Alitalia and any other I can think of really. All airline bathrooms that I can recall have a chemical smell from whatever it is they use to tamp down the human smells. That chemical smell is extremely offputting to me, and I'd much rather deal with a cramped seat on a long flight than having to experience that smell frequently.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got a 3 hour coach ride on Monday and someone took a dump halfway and made the coach stink of poop for the rest of the journey.

With the exception of maybe having a medical condition that means they need to poop urgently, WHY.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I guess plan your travel in whatever way makes you most comfortable once you're on the plane. I generally don't bother with extra legroom but DO try to pre-select seats that will let me debark earlier, window for flights under 4 hours and aisle for flights over four hours. I also research what airport layovers will let me take a shower, because sponging yourself clean-ish with a paper towel in the loo sucks.

In related news, I'll be in Hong Kong next weekend but on a super tight budget because of my upcoming U.S. trip, and I haaate it. Stupid budgets. I'm only going to be there Friday night through Monday morning and then I'll take the ferry to Shekou in Shenzhen and go to work there for the week, but my ability to burn money like it's pretend bills in the hungry ghost festival should not be underestimated.

Shenzhen shouldn't be quite so expensive (famous last words) because it's China, and I usually just get coffee and go to the Carrefour by the hotel for my breakfast food. And then I'll be in Shanghai for another four and a half days, but since my parents live there now, I will be imposing on their hospitality for the duration.

Tangential question: what's a good Singapore gift to bring to Chinese coworkers for the mid-autumn festival? Salted egg yolk fish skin? Bakkwa?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I do enjoy extra legroom because of tallness, but a lot of those seats also have the benefit of not having the seat in front of you shoved in your face the whole flight. Being able to just step over peoples legs getting in/out of the seat is a big plus on overnight flights too (or not having to get up if you're aisle).

Been flying too much this year so now I'm a Flying Blue Gold member. Doubt I'll be lucky enough to get any upgrades out of it, but free SkyPriority and lounge access plus 50% discount on special seats is nice.

• Options

United, American, Delta, BA, Lufthansa, Alitalia and any other I can think of really. All airline bathrooms that I can recall have a chemical smell from whatever it is they use to tamp down the human smells. That chemical smell is extremely offputting to me, and I'd much rather deal with a cramped seat on a long flight than having to experience that smell frequently.

Basically my rule of thumb is don't fly an American carrier. Every time I go against that rule, I wind up angry for most of the flight. Lufthansa has a good reputation for service. If narrowing your choices is what you're looking for, look at European air lines.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    My poor friend just hit United 1k status

Which sounds great but to do that it means you have to fly way too much
    (Consultant)

I would die

But she’s an intense lady and her husband is very good with airlines and points so they take dope vacations

I want a dope vacay next year

I can’t believe it’s sept and I have to start planning snowboarding ugh

poo
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I can’t believe it’s sept and I have to start planning snowboarding ugh
    Yup, it's not even mid-September and I have to start planning out Christmas/NYE stuff since I'm not staying local. It's annoying as heck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    A previous boss of mine was 6 foot 10 and pretty heavy. Not flying at the front of the plane was almost not an option.

For me, throw me in the cheapest seats on the best airline I can get on domestic flights and I'll muddle through it. On international, as someone who can't sleep at all in coach seats it's a big difference for my vacation to not start with 10+ hours of being awake and packed in. I also can't do much besides listen to music thanks to motion sickness.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I saw there were 16 new posts and was wondering whether you were still talking about whether the extra legroom or not is worth it

• Options
    the one life advantage to being like 5'6"

poo
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    if I was with someone else it'd be uncomfortable

*drops little white suitcase in shock*

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO HONG KONG THIS WEEKEND

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/2164020/super-typhoon-mangkhut-citys-residents-prepare-worst-most

CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE THE FERRY BOAT TO SHEKOU FOR WORK ON MONDAY

:bigfrown:

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO HONG KONG THIS WEEKEND

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/2164020/super-typhoon-mangkhut-citys-residents-prepare-worst-most

CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE THE FERRY BOAT TO SHEKOU FOR WORK ON MONDAY

:bigfrown:

I would really appreciate it if you would not die please LS, thanks in advance.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2018
    I went to get some driving directions on g-maps but of course it defaulted to public transport since I don't usually drive anywhere

and that's how I found out that to get to a place about 90 minutes away by car would take me 28 hours on bus/subway/train/ferry, and include what I can only describe as an "island ricochet".

for reference, I could cycle there in 7 hours, including a lunch stop.

tynic on
  • Options
    Today I have discovered,

The Shenzhen Airport has no place to purchase beer.

They also do not like providing passengers with details on their delayed flight.

My only consolation is that they are not only denying details in English, because I'm watching all of the Chinese passengers do the exact same anxious pacing and staring.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I am on a two hour bus to 台中 sitting in front of two bros who are deeply in love with the smell of each others’ farts and they are whiplashing wildly between their workout regimens and touching their own brains through the nasal cavity and their favorite places to visit in Taipei and property purchasing schemes and

Please shut the fuck up you worthless, basic turds, I want to die.

Edit: Two. Straight. Hours.

氣死我。

sarukun on
  • Options
    I’ve known since early August that I was going to Paris

And yet I’ve made 0 restaurant reservations

Apparently this is important to do hm
    I should have been planning

I’m overwhelmed by choices and recommendations! And I need to call the restaurants to make reservations

How do I pick
    And is making solo reservations still gonna be tricky

Ahh it’s a week away so many choices

poo
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I'm going to London for a week at the end of october to visit my sister! No idea what we'll do!

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    You'll be fine Shaz, solo reservations are usually easier than groups and honestly unless you're going to very swish or wildly popular places you'll be fine.

Plus it's the modren era, half of the places will let you book online now

PLUS plus it's pretty normal to cancel reservations too! Just don't be the jerk who doesn't show. Make a bunch and play it by ear on the day of.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    When I went to Paris for a long weekend with my wife about two years ago we made no reservations beforehand - we simply stopped by restaurants that seemed nice and happened to be where we were when hungry. Worked fine! Though I guess if you want very fancy restaurants it might be tough?

Tldr; you should be fine!

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    So far digging Croatia. Very beautiful country side.

Stull unsure of how much, or if I should, tip.

• Options
    Question - does anyone here use Guestbook for booking hotels? I'm iffy on signing up for new shit but also do travel a lot so it's stupid to not sign up for SOME points/rewards programs.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Not a lot of travel just in terms of distance, but still a nice trip; we went hiking in Canmore, up the Lady MacDonald trail. First snow of the season had fallen so everything was very white but not so snowy as to be a huge slog, and the view from the top was well worth the uphill. (yes, there's more mountain on the right, but the wooden used-to-be-a-helicopter-landing-pad at the very right of the image was where we called it done)

XIUgzDV.jpg

(it's worth clicking through to the full-size image, it needs more hscroll than the forum gives it)

also, we saw a rocky mountain bighorn sheep without very big horns:

wWuMOtX.jpg

• Options
    The London part of my trip had some bad planning and also uh taking a bath and dropping my phone in the bath and needing to replace it so I didn’t do as many things I would’ve liked to do, could’ve done that all better

But it was good still
    Got to see some family too and a cute 3mo baby

Now I’m in Paris alone

I ate so much for dinner lol

Small plates places are tough to do solo, I ate 2x as much as I should’ve and didn’t get a large plate or dessert lol but it was so good
    Am so full
    Wish I had room for the octopus or the duck and dessert

Got a cocktail at a bar after it was tasty
    The bartender at least talked to me and gave me some reccos

Traveling alone this week will be interesting
    The daytime part of walking around and museums and sightseeing is easy and nice to do alone
    The night time stuff though like eating and drinking hm that’ll be tough to do alone
    Wish I had a dining companion or friends for that part

(Lmao I tried to swipe on some dating apps for the hell of it but no luck there)

poo
  • Options
    I think it will become easier the more you do it! I honestly go out at night by myself all the time, especially when I travel solo, and sometimes you don't feel it and end up back where you're staying early, but it can also lead to amazing new friends and recommendations. I think more so than daytime exploring, honestly! Seeing someone hanging out alone in the evening I think encourages conversation with strangers more than a person sitting having a sandwich at lunch or walking through a museum by themselves.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I am also learning to go with the flow better
    Because I had plans and then didn’t follow them right, or did things like in hindsight I shoulda bought a 6 day museum pass but I got a 4, or I drank too much and I slept in and was hungover

Or I dropped my phone in a bathtub in London lol and had to get it replaced

Acceptance is a struggle
    But I’m getting better at it

We’ll see about the meeting strangers things, I’m not so good at it even at home (and I dunno I feel more uncomfortable / less appproachable as a brown man in other places)
    I did have a lovely chat with the bartender at the cocktail bar he gave me good reccos

I also bought a murakami book about being a lonely man
    It’s good

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    I do enjoy sitting in cafes and doing nothing

Did a nice food tour so got to talk to some humans

poo
  • Options
    I do think I am learning a lot about solo travel and my brain

Spoiling of rambling and dear dairying
    Like I know the good part about it is you’re supposed to be able to do exactly what you want, whenever you want
    And yet I still felt obligated to hit a bunch of sightseeing sights even though I know that I more enjoy just wandering around neighborhoods etc, and first I was kicking myself for not doing enough things efficiently, and then I was like but wait I did too many things and didn’t have enough actual relaxing and wandering and doing nothing time!
    despite no one being with me and me being able to do whatever I wanted, there was like some pressure about doing things because I “should” do them

It was tricky also because in a city like Paris there are an infinite amount of things to do and places to see that in 6 days you barely scratch the surface
    Which at least since this was my first time as someone above the age of 10 gives me reason to return

My mom is bigger on seeing sights and my dad is 100% about relaxation

I need to find my balance

You really do learn a lot about yourself when traveling huh

@credeiki

poo
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Where in, I’m reminded how little love I have for LAX while sitting on the floor for my long ass layover.

So few chairs for so much traffic.

e: to make a positive comment, the TSA folks here were lovely, and at least they’re using more AC in the terminal than the Dutch plane I flew in on.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Currently enjoying a family beach holiday away in the sunny Sunshine Coast.

The Sunshine Coast has had more rain this October to date than any previous month of October for the past 25 years.

There has not been much beach time.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I’m back from travel

Boo

poo
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    As I type this I'm on the coach, headed to the airport to fly to Phoenix, Arizona for a week! Any suggestions for stuff to do/see/eat/swim while I'm there? Stuff that's good for couples preferably!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    As I type this I'm on the coach, headed to the airport to fly to Phoenix, Arizona for a week! Any suggestions for stuff to do/see/eat/swim while I'm there? Stuff that's good for couples preferably!

Definitely check out the Phoenix Botanical Garden.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    My theyfriend and I are going to Las Vegas for the first time ever in January - I just booked our package so now it feels weird, like it's somehow more real. Excited either way though! We're gonna see Penn and Teller too, which is like, bucket list material for the both of us.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Hey anyone here been to Namibia? Currently planning a trip with the wife. Want to do 4x4 self drive safari stuff, but nothing is booked yet. My biggest issue is that I can't really find a good central listing of campgrounds.