As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

joe [chat]

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    japan wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    In Oregon, today, a new law is in effect that you're not allowed to smoke in your car if someone under 18 is a passenger.

Anti smoking laws are interesting in their effect.

My anecdotal experience has been that people smoke because others around them do, and the gradual narrowing of opportunities to be around other people while they smoke (unless already a smoker) means I suspect that new smokers will, in the future, primarily be drawn from the set of people whose parents smoke.

If we keep these anti-smoking laws up we'll soon have driven the smokers into the sea.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    not being a fat pig is so hard

Keep at it, chu. Eyes on the prize.

i am writing up a list of all the things i hate about being fat

That ... uh, hmm. *cough*

*sobs quietly*

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    In Oregon, today, a new law is in effect that you're not allowed to smoke in your car if someone under 18 is a passenger.

My anecdotal experience has been that people smoke because others around them do, and the gradual narrowing of opportunities to be around other people while they smoke (unless already a smoker) means I suspect that new smokers will, in the future, primarily be drawn from the set of people whose parents smoke.

I'm all for laws like that

my opinion on the matter is like old heroin addict's opinions on recruiting new blood

I remember the interesting experience of a friend ( who smokes) who acquired a girlfriend who had literally never been in the presence of a person that was smoking before.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I feel actively offended when my shitty neighbors smoke on the walkway outside.

They might as well have taken a dump on my desk.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    watching undercover boss, sex shop

dis customer

unf

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

The evening news stated it was an attempt to cut down on second-hand smoke.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I am going another route this time.

I am throwing away all the clothes I have that are too small, donating those that aren't too ratty, and try to accept AMFE as incarnate before trying to change things I don't like about myself.

I feel that this will be more helpful than last spring,when I just ran out of self hate until I hurt my foot and ate three pizzas a week.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I feel actively offended when my shitty neighbors smoke on the walkway outside.

They might as well have taken a dump on my desk.

Is that a pipe in the mouth of your avatar?

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Sorry [chat]. I'll go back to FF14.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    And I've never encountered a self-identified "sociopath" online who doesn't treat it as an out to be a total piece of shit.

I used to. Then my life crashed around me, I when to jail and meet the worst person I have ever known. Guy was in for raping 30 women (more charges were being dropped on him as I was leaving) and this guy didn't feel bad about it. NOT. ONE. BIT.

And I thought about what I had done, how I had manipulated people for my own good. How I had lied to my "friends" and my family just to keep up who I thought I needed to be and up to that point I had never felt bad about it either. I just did it, because I could. It didn't phase me one bit.

And I learned I was just as bad as this rapist. And I didn't want to be that way anymore.

And I tried to change, but I couldn't get rid of habits, then one day I thought about it and thought maybe I shouldn't change habits but change the reason. Instead of being someone else for my gain, I do things to help others. Instead of being someone to pick up numbers, I was someone else to help cheer them up. I still don't feel any connection to people, and I still don't care for people, but I want to do better and be better for myself.

I'm not letting my antisocial behavior be my excuse to be an asshole. I'm using it differently to fix what I have broken. Maybe it still selfish because the ultimate goal is to make me feel like a better person but doesn't everyone else do it for that "I did a good thing" feeling they get?

• Options

Well yes, they invariably are, but such laws also have the secondary effect of segregating the act of smoking away from non-smokers.

I was just musing about anti smoking laws in general.

• Options
    12) bending over to pick up a dropped pen or pencil is awkward, humiliating, and physically difficult (including inducing lightheadedness)

19) physical pain in small college desks

etc

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    how long is this list because i dont know how healthy that is D:

• Options
    12) bending over to pick up a dropped pen or pencil is awkward, humiliating, and physically difficult (including inducing lightheadedness)

19) physical pain in small college desks

etc
    The worst thing about big lecture halls was the goddamn tiny desks. Ughhhhhh.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

If we keep these anti-smoking laws up we'll soon have driven the smokers into the sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qvjS_c1U6zs

Oh brilliant
  • Options

I am going another route this time.

I am throwing away all the clothes I have that are too small, donating those that aren't too ratty, and try to accept AMFE as incarnate before trying to change things I don't like about myself.

I feel that this will be more helpful than last spring,when I just ran out of self hate until I hurt my foot and ate three pizzas a week.

My current favorite WHOMP!
    http://www.whompcomic.com/2013/11/08/man-at-extra-large/

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I can't use lecture hall desks regardless of girth.

Because of my cursed left handedness.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I gathered up all the empties, the cans and the bottles from last night

there was a bunch of teenagers in an out of sight corner, coughing and smoking some pilfered fags, feeling real cool

they probably had half a cider each last night or something

I can't really say what I felt when I was walking through them, four clanking and clinging bags of liquor bottles and beer cans and champagne bottles, puffing like a train on the cig in my mouth, flicking the ash off my cigarette by clicking my tongue

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The worst mistake any person with any type of ailment, disorder, or illness of any kind, be it mental or physical, can do is let it define them as a person. Some people with Asperger's do it. Some people with Fibromyalgia do it. Some people with Bipolar Disorder do it.

I've said this a few times: I have a diagnose, but I refuse to ever let that diagnose be an excuse for anything. It might sometimes be an explanation, but never an excuse.

I have a very similar philosophy, albeit it was one instilled into me by my mother.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Well yes, they invariably are, but such laws also have the secondary effect of segregating the act of smoking away from non-smokers.

Folks in NYC were talking about banning ecigs in public because they were making nicotine useage acceptable and eroding the stigmatization the managed to create around smoking. That's very much a thing.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    who the fuck uses lipstick that's lighter than their natural lip color

it is awful awful

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    And I've never encountered a self-identified "sociopath" online who doesn't treat it as an out to be a total piece of shit.

I used to. Then my life crashed around me, I when to jail and meet the worst person I have ever known. Guy was in for raping 30 women (more charges were being dropped on him as I was leaving) and this guy didn't feel bad about it. NOT. ONE. BIT.

And I thought about what I had done, how I had manipulated people for my own good. How I had lied to my "friends" and my family just to keep up who I thought I needed to be and up to that point I had never felt bad about it either. I just did it, because I could. It didn't phase me one bit.

And I learned I was just as bad as this rapist. And I didn't want to be that way anymore.

And I tried to change, but I couldn't get rid of habits, then one day I thought about it and thought maybe I shouldn't change habits but change the reason. Instead of being someone else for my gain, I do things to help others. Instead of being someone to pick up numbers, I was someone else to help cheer them up. I still don't feel any connection to people, and I still don't care for people, but I want to do better and be better for myself.

I'm not letting my antisocial behavior be my excuse to be an asshole. I'm using it differently to fix what I have broken. Maybe it still selfish because the ultimate goal is to make me feel like a better person but doesn't everyone else do it for that "I did a good thing" feeling they get?

http://www.reddit.com/r/thatHappened

• Options

Good for you, seriously.

• Options
    could ban e-cigs inside

or at least

the bloody cigarette-lookalike ones

only the blue ones please

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Think I'll register on a bodybuilding forum, posting as though I'm a hardcore lifter bro. Shirtless selfies, revealing my rippling grublike flesh. What will they make of such a creature?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    they are so annoying

all "wait what, is she smoking?"

and somebody else goes oh hey smoking's tolerated, eh

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    how long is this list because i dont know how healthy that is D:

i'm just going to start writing new entries in scientific notation

3.401E29) the sometimes unignorable desire to make self-deprecating 'jokes', thinking it's charming

1,200987) inner thighs chafing

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Aaron was talking to me about something mundane and I cut him off mid sentence with a guttural growl of OH MY GOD IT'S A FURFROUUUUUUUU

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular

The aisle seats on the left side have left-handed deskos.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    redx wrote: »

Folks in NYC were talking about banning ecigs in public because they were making nicotine useage acceptable and eroding the stigmatization the managed to create around smoking. That's very much a thing.

There was a bit of wrangling in British Superbikes when the question of whether the voluntary ban on tobacco sponsorship (which is still technically in place even though tobacco advertising is illegal) extended to e-cigarettes came up.

(They decided it didn't)

japan on
  • Options

Even e-cigs? Sounds like those East Coast weirdos are one step away from enacting zero tolerance policies. Lollipop stems can no longer be white! Suspension for any students pantomiming cigarette use and "blowing smoke" on freezing cold days!

• Options
    Frosteey wrote: »

The aisle seats on the left side have left-handed deskos.

Perhaps in your school, mine were all right handed.

Also they would parade us through the quad, whipping us cord and right handed scissors.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Even e-cigs? Sounds like those East Coast weirdos are one step away from enacting zero tolerance policies. Lollipop stems can no longer be white! Suspension for any students pantomiming cigarette use and "blowing smoke" on freezing cold days!

I think a 50 year old cabbie bit you and it's a full moon or something

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    There is a manager at work who will smoke this ecigs while on the line making burgers. I don't mind it so much as it has a nice sweet smell, but I don't like the idea that he can smoke these things on the line but I can't drink water or chew gum on grill when I'm dehydrated as fuck from being so close to the heat.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

Stop that.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Lilyhammer is also pretty great, y'all.

Lilyhammer and Misfits is where it's at.

• Options
    A buncha Marvel games have been pulled from XBLA, Steam and PSN, due to their licenses expiring.

What a glittering utopia the all digital future will be. :I

Physical media FO LIFE

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I only mind the e-cigs that look like actual cigarettes at a distance because of doing the bouncing

might actually start with the things, if it turns out I'm serious about this quitting thing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is the shooting in Sleeping Dogs supposed to be really hard?

• Options
    A buncha Marvel games have been pulled from XBLA, Steam and PSN, due to their licenses expiring.

What a glittering utopia the all digital future will be. :I

Physical media FO LIFE

Don't tell me this. I just got my old PSN account back from my ex and I had the X-men Arcade game on it. I hope they still let me download it since I've bought it.

This discussion has been closed.