The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I was going to start editing stories and then Hockey and Basketball playoffs started and now the World Cup is on, and I need to get a laptop so I can work on my writing while watching sports.

KCWise
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    KCWise wrote: »
    Just submitted to Fireside. Oh. My. God.

GET ON YOUR WRITING GOALS, PEOPLE! IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Let the long anxious pee-pee dance of rejection waiting commence!!

Yaaaaay aaaaagh
    Good luck, lady!

I guess I should consider sending whatever OGK version I have by the end of the month

KCWise
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Do it. Do it now!!!

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I need to convince myself the witch story is finished and submit that.

tapeslingerKCWiseMagell
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    seriously, quoth
    seriously

KCWise
    Girl, stop fussin' and sub it already!!!!

tapeslinger
    How's everybody doing? It's the last full week of June, ya'll!!!

Make sure you get your submissions into Fireside if that was something you wanted to do this month. Their submission window ends on the 30th.

I am considering subbing to Strange Horizons. Remember that "western" flash fic I did for Chuck Challenge last year? I'm thinking about buffing that one off and sending it. Good idea?

I subbed to Fireside, I'm still plotting away in a plodding fashion, and you should totally sub to Strange Horizons because I believe they tend to give some feedback.

KCWise
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I wrote a short story. That's a change.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    KCWise
    'Sup, Homies!? Happy July, Ya'll! Hope there was much drinkin' and pyromania on the 4th!

I want to announce SPRINTS this week because I'm fiction blocked and it's driving me crazy. Maybe it's because I haven't heard from Fireside. Maybe its because I don't know what I want to do with the thing I was gonna send to Strange Horizons. Maybe it's because ViBo Act II is running super slow for no flippin' reason...

Anyway. There will be sprints.

2pm-4pm EDT Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday this week. If someone wants to run a Wednesday one, that would be cool. I just won't be there.

If anyone knows they'll be around, I'd love for there to be two creative brainstorming sessions in IRC during Monday and Wednesday evening. Maybe 8pm to 9pm EDT. Bring forth your struggles. Bring forth your beginnings, middles, or ends! Anyone interested in that? I'm thinking we could have some 10 minute rounds on any problems that people bring. If anyone is interested, raise your hand!

See you this week in the IRC, ya'll!

I will be there for sprints on Friday. I'm actually going to be in IRC this week as I work days and get out at times where people might actually still be in the IRC. YAY! I should be there for the Wednesday brainstorms as well.

If people are in the IRC or just looking for later times I can run some later sprints on Tuesday and Wednesday for sure. Maybe Thursday as well, but as the day before my day off there's a decent chance I'll just get drunk instead of writing.

KCWise
    Whoops! Missed my own sprints last night! In my defense, we were under a tornado warning for most of the afternoon/early evening, so my brain was all over the place. Moving them to Wednesday and Thursday nights. If you need em, come on!

Will be in IRC today at by 2:30 for more afternoon sprints! Be theeeerrrreeeeeeee

• InxInx Registered User regular
    I need to start writing again. When I was unemployed I was doing really well, keeping up with my novel progress and pumping out blog posts and short stories to keep the juices flowing, but once I got back to working 40 hours a week I've had nothing but trouble finding the motivation and energy to do much of anything. Gotta get out of this rut though because I miss it.

Writing while working full time is totally hard. I know there's a lot of push for writers to write something EVERY DAY but I found that I was more likely to not write at all if I made that my goal and then slipped up.

Magell
    I have a bit of downtime at work most days towards the end of my shift. I have most of my works in progress on my Google Drive so I was thinkin about using that to get a little work in here and there....

That's a good plan. I do the same thing sometimes at night, before I go to sleep. During Nano, I've been known to write anywhere possible, including while driving in rush hour traffic. DON'T JUDGE MEEEE

Inx
    Officer you don't understand my protagonist is learning about his feeeeeelinggggssssss

GethQuoth
    Reminder: I'm running sprints again tonight, fools!
    BEEEE THEEEEERRRREEEE 8:30EDT!!!!

It's August, people!!! Fall in! What are ya'll up to!?

There are mad openings for cool contests/submission windows start in September! GET IT TOGETHER AND WRITE! I'm going to compile a list, and put it here. I want to see some Writer's Block representation in some September submissions and I want to make this upcoming Autumn the AUTUMN OF WINNING!! WRITING WINNING!!!!!!

So make it happen.

In the mean time, Cross Genre's prompt this month is "Destruction" and I think that is kinda cool. Got some stuff turin' in my head on that one.

Also, I came across the term "Digital Athens" this weekend while listening to NPR. I'd heard it before but this was a particularly interesting context, and my muse has been keepin' me busy all weekend. Gotta write, gotta write.

Sound off, Writerly Comrads! How you be doin'!?

bigrickcook
    - Written a few short stories that I don't feel too confident about in the last month or so.

- Made some pretty decent world-building progress for our tabletop game, starting to realize my organizational system ain't cutting it as I get deeper into it, so I'll have to retool that before too long and get organized.

- I've been so much busier at my actual jorb that it's been very difficult to get in focus for creative writing in the mental exhaustive periods after work. I think I might fare better if I change my sleep schedule a bit to go to sleep earlier, wake up earlier, do some creative writing in the early mornings before work, and then just be fried at the end of the day. I dunno, there's no good choices here except to just get over myself and power through even when my brain just wants to turn off.

- I haven't done any subs of fiction in a while, which means I'm now three months behind on that goal.

- At the end of August I'm going back into novel-writing mode to finish this other story (a couple weeks worth of effort before edits begin in earnest) and then probably another hard month of world-building, followed by two months of rough outlining and writing the third book in my sci-fi series. The plan is to have the rough draft of that finished about two weeks before Christmas so that I have a couple weeks at the end of the year to relax and not focus on any creative writing (unless the mood strikes me of course). The first month the new year will be editing the other novel and getting it off to beta readers, followed by another month of world-building, and then doing the full edit on the third book in the series in March.

If it all goes according to plan (and really, it won't) I'll have a book out by the end of this month (this one's out of my control at this point), another one ready for February or March next year, and then another one sometime in summer next year.

In the middle of all of this I have another novella I'd like to finish. So... I just don't even.

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    Rick, you've got a lot going on, bro! How you gonna hold down that real-money job, re-worldbuild AND publish 2 novels??

By taking it all in stages! And dying of exhaustion.

More of the latter, I'm sure.

Oh my God, it's September!

How are we doing, ya'll? Rick! I downloaded your book!!! Congrats on all the success so far!

How are the rest of us? Anyone else feeling the first little tugs of pre-NaNo prep??

Stay focused. There is time for that. Next month.

This month, you can still do some stuff on those other projects you are working on!

Like for me: I'm still slogging through my current chunk of Project ViBo. My goal is to have finished this chunk and at least START the 4th and (hopefully final) chunk of ViBo by the end of this month. I've gotta be done with this whole story by mid-October so I can let it rest while I outline and execute a NaNo project and then I can edit like my life depends on it all through December.

That's my Fall in a nutshell, lol.

What are you doing? How are you feeling? Have you had a pumpkin latte yet? GET ON IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!!!

And then write.

Because Autumn Writing season is upon us!!!

Roll Call! Who is out there and writing on The Block??

bigrickcook
    I'm helping out Nova_C right now with his draft, which is serving as a good palate cleanser before I go off into the world of "finish that damn novel" which is my September goal!

I hope my book doesn't suck to you!

I basically gave up the whole 'subbing short stories' thing for right now. Too much other stuff going on to keep messing with that. I'll just keep writing shorts for the blog 'cause they're super fun to do even if I never do anything with them.

September is my birth month, and because getting older is always a good impetus to make progress on things I hope it is the best month of writing I have this year!

KCWise
    September is MY birth month, too, Rick! Dirty Thirty on the 27th!!

Subbing short stories makes my ass itch. Why do we subject ourselves to this pressure!? I blame Quoth for getting me started on this.

bigrickcook
    I believe blaming Quoth for things that make us better is a good standard to live by.

And yeah, it's my 30th this year too!

September is my birth month as well. I am... Older than you. And come on, you guys, if you don't want to sub short stories then don't. This ain't no one size fits all over here, y'all.

Hey. Hey. Don't get all huffy. Just accept that you are blameworthy. Be cool.

HURRAY FOR SEPTEMBER BABIES! everyone else should festoon us with sapphires!! And there should be a parade in our honor!

And we shall be known as the Septembrists.

KCWiseQuothRonin356
  • Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    I'm writing a novel about a lesbian cyborg refugee. :p

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

edited December 2014
    2014 is coming to a close, ya'll! How did you do this year?

I:

Submitted work twice this year
    Finished a novel (and decided it was crap)
    Started a new novel (and decided it was awesome) and will finish my first draft at the end of this week
    Wrote a complete novella for NaNo and have started to submit it to a critique site for feedback (feedback has been positive!)
    I have a new system for nursing ideas
    I have at least 2 more stories that I feel are good enough to pursue in 2015

Early goals for 2015:

Rewrite Vi and submit to beta readers by May.
    Rewrite Meadowlark and do something with it...
    Submit three works to various markets
    Start a new novel in the same universe as Vi (so, sequel to Vi or just another story in Thorton)
    Revisit the Meadowlark universe in NaNo 2015. Maybe we'll see P? We'll see!

Other goal: Keep this thing going in 2015 and don't let it drop off in September. I think the NaNo thread kinda took over, and that's cool, but still. Consistency is important!

What say you, WBers? How did you do? What do you want for 2015? How can we all meet our goals together?

KCWise on
    tapeslingerbigrickcook
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    My early goals were:
    • finish my historical novel,
    • write orc saga 2
    • write a fate of the gods novella

I accomplished:
    • Orc Saga 2 is done and with betas!
    • self-published Postcards from Asgard (novella)
    • my Historical novel is like 5000-7000 words away from completion! I STILL HAVE TIME TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
    • Fate of the Gods novella is like 8000 words in, and not even close to done -- put it on hold because ugh. I needed to finish all the other half-written things hanging over my head first.
    • I also signed a contract for Helen of Sparta and did all the editing and proofing for that, which I was not expecting to have on my plate this year, but huzzah!
    • I got the ball rolling on an audio book for FORGED BY FATE which should be releasing in late January.
    • Started writing an alternative Fate of the Gods short story/novella
    • Also this year, in total, I had 2 full length novels published (Honor Among Orcs and Beyond Fate) and two novellas published (Postcards and Taming Fate). So, not bad!
    • why do I still feel like I accomplished nothing guys what the heck is wrong with me.

So, I guess that is that.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    tapeslingerKCWiseMagellbigrickcook
    I submitted no stories in 2014, but I finished a few and learned a lot, and landed that slush position at Uncanny and all
    so I think I'm making progress overall.

KCWisebigrickcook
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I owe a good chunk of this year's writing to @tapeslinger, who nudged me back onto the forum, and helped me shake free of the writing slump that had struck me down after late November 2013, and lasted for about six months. So thanks for that! Anyway, my goals for the year were mostly to try and get at least one story accepted, and to finish a novel draft. I didn't manage the latter one -- I wrote between a quarter and a third each of two separate novel drafts, one of which I'm still actively working on at the moment -- but I did get one acceptance (now slated for a Stupefying Stories themed issue, so I assume ElJeffe pre-publication hell will follow), as well as 77 rejections, cracking that hundred-rejections mark at last (an actual goal I had for myself back in 2012 was "aquire a stack of rejections" -- I think I can call that one done now).

Most of all, though, I've learned a lot this year, and thanks to that nudge, I have my writing habits back on track. And as nice as that first acceptance was, those two things are worth far more.

For 2015...I want to finish that first novel draft. I want to sell another short story, or you know, a few of them. I'd quite like to get another HM or better in the Writers of the Future, too, which was a fun experience to submit to. And I want to get to the point of a hundred finished stories, even though it's just a number, and probably doesn't mean much when some of those are silly flash-fiction contest entries. But most of all, I want to see what I've been learning lately translate into better stories. And I don't exactly know how to quantify that, but I do know that it means one thing -- in 2015, I'll be approaching my writing somewhat differently, and more mindfully, than I did for most of 2014 and all the years prior.

P.S. - I should note that I have previously finished two novel drafts, but that both of them were novels that I ultimately decided were crap. So by "first novel draft", what I'm really meaning is "first novel draft I actually think was worth the effort".

DoctorJest on
    tapeslingerAmaliabigrickcook
    I can't even remember HOW I nudged you, at this point, but am glad I did!

DoctorJest
    I don't want to look back at my goals but I don't think I accomplished anything this year, so hooray!

Quoth wrote: »
    I will BE THERE.

Also I posted my goals elsewhere but basically I want to write a story a month, finish my novel, and revise one of my novels to the point that I can let people read it.

@Quoth‌
    p sure you did most of these
    fyi hth

Amalia
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    It looks like my early goals on page 1 were...
    • Finish writing that novella.
    • Finish editing the Sherlock-esque fantasy book.
    • Write a new book.

And I actually, somehow, did those things. Which is hugely surprising to me because I feel like I've been moving at a snail's pace for the past year.

The novella ("OVEREXPOSED") got finished and I've actually started querying a couple of agents about it. No idea where that one will go, if anywhere, but I'm glad I wrote it. It was a YA Contemporary thing, totally different from what I usually do. It was fun to push the boundaries.

The Sherlock-esque fantasy book went through a TON of editing rounds. It was quite possibly one of the worst editing experiences I've ever had. But it got finished, and it's out on query now (and there's even a sample out with an agent, currently, so fingers crossed?)

The new book ("The Lady at Death's Court") was finished. Somehow. When I came back into this thread there was a saved draft of an old would-be reply talking about how I dropped the book because I was miserable and it wasn't working, 10,000 words in. I think I probably wrote similar posts 3 times. Sometime in October, with @Amalia 's help, I forced myself to finish it. It hasn't gone past the first draft yet, but I'm just glad it got written.
    • Split with the agent early this year. Not... really a goal. But it happened. And almost 10 months later I can say I'm almost over the crippling emotional fall-out. Almost. (Hahahahaha.)
    • The Sword & Laser Anthology was published with my story in it!
    • I started The Five Kingdoms, which I'm only just getting back into updating again, but hey... It's something?

I have no idea what to expect or hope for in 2015--other than that I hope I can make it better than 2014 was. I guess I'll have to think about it, now.

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Amaliabigrickcook
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Absolute crap this year. Let's see though.

Accomplished

-Fully plotted out a novel and edited thrice (no good and nowhere near enough editing though)
    -Entered a couple writing contests (minor ones on forums but won a couple small prizes)
    -Stopped debasing myself and my writing quite so much
    -Finished university and thus regained all my free time again!

GOALS FOR 2015

-Plot, write, edit, submit "Fateless" novel
    -Complete NaNoWriMo
    -Write 2K words each and every day at minimum
    -Keep a dream journal (I used to but stopped because my dreams can be pretty twisted and I didn't want to reveal that on paper)
    -Read a book every month (something else I stopped doing because lack of free time/funds) [BONUS: Make it an author I don't know]

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    VanityPants