The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

• bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm almost in the same place as my last update in this thread. It's been a rough few months. I got a substantial amount of rewrites done on the novel I wanted to have finished by now, and I am still closing in on the end of my time-traveling twins novella, but I'm really unhappy with a section in the middle that will need to be cut completely or significantly altered to the point of complete rewrites.

Otherwise I have two aborted short stories that I don't know when I'll get back to. I have no real excuses except that this time of year is just so busy, personally and professionally, every single year.

And the biggest goal that I failed this year was getting my third book available for purchase since that's still in limbo and now it requires more money.

My 2015 goals? Right now it's basically "get back on the horse and keep riding".

bigrickcook on
    http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    For 2015 I need to:
    • Write a Sequel to Helen
    • Write the Third (UGGGGGGHHHHHHH) Orc Saga book. (Stupid series was not supposed to be a trilogy but somehow it became one.)
    • I should probably finish that Fate of the Gods novella and also my Ullr novella.
    • I also need to publish Orc Saga 2 ... and maybe that Ullr novella, if I can finish it.
    • I'll also be attending the historical novels society conference and the world fantasy convention next year so. excitement?

I feel stressed out just looking at this list.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
  • Chronos21Chronos21 Registered User regular
    I accomplished literally nothing in 2014, except mostly finishing a couple of short stories. For 2015, I plan on finishing the last few chapters of the current novel, writing a second, and finally getting enough stories professionally published to meet the (newly revised) SFWA membership criteria. I'll probably submit to Amazon's breakout novel competition, and there's a number of Canadian short story contests on the radar. I'm taking some time from work for various reasons, so this is the year to get serious.

• InxInx Registered User regular
    I wrote very little in 2014, even less than I did in 2013. I'm doubting if I'll ever finish this novel, but I try not to think like that if I can help it.

I'd like to finish it in 2015, as well as start working more on world building for a couple of tabletop games I'm developing with friends with the pipedream intent of maybe publishing them someday.

• KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    2015 is upon us!

If you haven't posted your goals, feel free to do so! If you don't wanna, you don't have to! But this is the place to keep us accountable!

I'm adding one more goal to my list:

Be more active on the Forums and not just in IRC. That means critiquing when stuff is posted, writing more in the chat thread, and trying to make this community a little more active. We're better when we are supporting each other, and when we are inviting people into the fold.

Also, I'm committing to tweet once a day. And not just that twitter-hustle obnoxiousness that everyone else is doing. Just one sincere tweet a day. We'll see how that goes.

YOU THERE. PARTY HARD TONIGHT, THEN WRITE TOMORROW!

2014 was a good year. 2015 will be even better!

tapeslingerAmalia
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to make super strict specific goals this year, but I have bought stickers to encourage myself to do things. I get a sticker for: writing, reading, blogging, critiquing or submitting. After a certain number of stickers, I get a reward. I'm not sure what yet, but it will be cool and fun and totally worth my effort.

I'm also posting stats in my signature in case anyone wants to engage in peer pressure with or against me.

tapeslingerKCWiseAmaliabigrickcook
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I wrote more in 2014 than I did in 2013, but unfortunately did not finish Nano this time even though I did last time (November was super busy this year).

For 2015, my goal is to make Friday into a pure writing day (since I have Friday's off), as if it was a 9-to-5 job on that day.

Today went fairly well. I wrote the first draft of a new short story from start to finish, read a bunch of new articles, and completely reorganized over a decade's worth of writing files and outlines (rediscovering about a dozen ideas I'd completely forgotten about). Now I just need to back up the reorganized files.

Unfortunately next Friday I have a doctor's appointment so that will put a damper on how much I can get done, but hopefully otherwise this plan will go well.

Also, two quick questions:

1. Does anyone know what a good writing program to use is? I've been using Open Office for years, but I've noticed it can have issues from time to time with longer documents so I'm considering switching.
    2. Has anyone used the iPhone App "A Novel Idea"? Is it any good? It was free to download, but I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it yet. It's bound to be better than my current strategy of typing that stuff out in a document and having to move stuff around with cut & paste, but I figure there might be better options out there as well.

My first 650 words of the new year written today! I'm easing back in! WHO IS WITH ME?

I can offer you no answers, @Lars, as I use word 2007 4 lyfe and do not own an iAnything but HIGHEST OF FIVES for rocking the new year writer-style!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

KCWise
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    Put down my first solid thousand last night also, all on work towards a second-quarter WOTF entry, and a nice way to ease back in...should do a few more tonight also.

KCWise
    Okay! The real resolution has less to do with specific goals (like so many blog posts or short stories or submissions or novels published or puppies hugged [all of them]) and more to do with just making time for writing.

For the year of 2015, I will write at least 1,000 words of fiction per day, every day, for 365 days. More on some days won't count for less on others. It's not an average of 1,000 per day, but a minimum.

I will do my best to post weekly stats here.

Missing a day will require your ridicule, but also I have set aside $365. For every day I complete, that number drops by $1 (which I then get to keep and spend on puppy hugs or other happiness-inducing activities). Whatever is left at the end of the year will be put towards some as yet undetermined use (charity? random gift-bomb? bonfire? WHO KNOWS).

So I'll report every Friday or thereabouts (since it's Friday right now!) with daily total, yearly total, and days failed.

Day 1! 1,789 daily words. 1,789 yearly words. 0 days failed.
    Day 2! 1,255 daily words. 3,044 yearly words. 0 days failed.

I actually rewrote a whole lot on Day One while I was sitting in the airport, but couldn't accurately count any of that, so only counted the brand new section.

Wooooo! I'm .54% of the way done!

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    AmaliaKCWise
    Rick... can we talk about how freaking amazing you are? you want a stats thread for this? I am commited to report alongside you if you'd like the company!

Amalia
    All are welcome! I can whip up a Google docs spreadsheet and let us both edit if you want to join my insanity.

It's a recipe for disaster forcing a sizable word count every single day, but New Year's Resolutions are fun like that. Go big, make it public, include stakes (or steaks).

I might already have one. Please hold, system processing...

Lars wrote: »
    I wrote more in 2014 than I did in 2013, but unfortunately did not finish Nano this time even though I did last time (November was super busy this year).

Also, two quick questions:

1. Does anyone know what a good writing program to use is? I've been using Open Office for years, but I've noticed it can have issues from time to time with longer documents so I'm considering switching.
    2. Has anyone used the iPhone App "A Novel Idea"? Is it any good? It was free to download, but I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it yet. It's bound to be better than my current strategy of typing that stuff out in a document and having to move stuff around with cut & paste, but I figure there might be better options out there as well.

Hey @Lars, I use Word for smaller projects like short stories or things I'm splitting up and then I use Scrivener for the big things. Sometimes I start big projects in word and then move them to Scriv later to keep myself organized. There are plenty of ways to go.

I hate all things Apple, so I can't help you in the iUseless world. Sorry.

Lars
    I've used A Novel Idea but abandoned it less because it was bad and more because it was not really helping me personally. No reason for you not to give it a try.

You guys. The word log that Rick made is... it's magnificent, ya'll. If anyone wants to keep track of their ish, let us know. I think (and tell me if I'm wrong, Rick) that it is expandable so that other people can get in on the sweet action...

edited January 2015
    It is easily expandable for new people. Basically it uses a raw data set that just records hard numbers for fiction writing and blog writing per person, and then it all gets pulled into a pivot table so you can see totals and averages, and compare trends by manipulating the data and filtering content.

It's all stuff you can do by just building individual cells with formulas on a single sheet, but I like pivot tables because it makes the raw data entry smooth and problem-free, and then you can look at only the data you want with a few clicks on a pivot table without having to rewrite formulas or write new ones.

bigrickcook on
    I have no idea what any of that means but if I can use it by inputting my document wordcount vs my daily wordcount and it tells me what my daily wordcount is from the difference between yesterday's doc wordcount and today's, I might be interested.

then again, I just set up a wicked sweet spreadsheet that someone else sent me so maybe I should just do what I'm doing blargh.

I miss the nano chart.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Last time I used formulae in Excel was in my math course. Hmm, I think I'd be interested in what that table can do though. Being able to compare wordcount to each other and see the patterns would be rather nice.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    Amalia wrote: »
    I have no idea what any of that means but if I can use it by inputting my document wordcount vs my daily wordcount and it tells me what my daily wordcount is from the difference between yesterday's doc wordcount and today's, I might be interested.

then again, I just set up a wicked sweet spreadsheet that someone else sent me so maybe I should just do what I'm doing blargh.

I miss the nano chart.

That might be a little tricky in the way pivot tables work. There's an easy formula for that, though, I'm pretty sure, outside pivots.

Yeah, I can do it with a formula in excel -- I recently just figured this out -- but it's friggin time consuming to set up. At least the way I do it. (That is, the excel-deficient-I-really-have-no-idea-how-the-heck-to-use-this-program way, of course.)

Based on what you said up there, I think it would be pretty quick to have a "Document wordcount" column, and then the column next to it just subtracts A from B, then B from C, then C from D, etc.

You can propagate that absurdly easy. How are you doing it?

This is how I'd do it.

Yes, it is the propogating I do not know how to do. I input everything individually, which obviously takes pretty much forever. I mean, unless that is just how it is supposed to be? the best way? I do not know. I just find it tedious and annoying ha.

edited January 2015
    Propagating is as easy as either grabbing the cell you want to propagate in the bottom-right corner and dragging it down over other cells, or just copying the cell and pasting it into the other cells you want to use. The way Excel and other spreadsheet software is designed is that it will auto-fill formulas with the appropriate cells as you paste it around.

Edit: For comparison, I made the example I showed you in about one minute. If you wanted a 10-year calendar with month and day breakdown, that would take me about fifteen minutes and I'd nest the subtraction in an IF function that will only perform the subtraction if both cells it's referring to have something in them. Otherwise it'll get to the current day and autofill everything below it with the same values, which isn't necessarily wrong, but doesn't look very clean.

bigrickcook on
    okay. I do not really understand what you're saying here. ha. I mean, if I copy and paste then it is going to copy and paste the wrong cell information, won't it? like if I write the formula =C4-C3 and then copy and paste, it won't just be =C4=C3 in all those places I pasted?

The other nice thing about a function like this is that you can always just duplicate the sheet for the next document, delete all the document wordcount cells and start over completely fresh. Takes all of 30 seconds and lets you keep your original data without having to make a whole new spreadsheet with the same formulas.

If you have cell d4 entered as c4-c3, and you copy cell d4 and paste it to cell d5, it actually pastes c5-c4. It keeps track of the cells and changes depending on where you paste it. If you copy one cell and paste it into 5 cells, it will paste the changing cell coordinates instead of the literal letters and numbers.

Amalia
    Okay! Thanks! I'm going to give this a shot! IT IS A WHOLE NEW WORLD!

bigrickcook
    I should specify that it works like that for formulas in cells. Anything else is copied and pasted exactly as you'd expect

Screw it, gonna update on Wednesday nights.

Days 1 through 7 were successes! Lowest word count was 1,025 words, highest word count was 4,028. The average over 7 days is 1,708 words per day, for a total of 11,961 words.

This is hard guys. Like super hard. Today was an awful day to force myself to write.

tapeslingerKCWiseAmalia
    My daily average has been about 200 words, which is lower than I hoped but still better than nothing.

tapeslingerAmaliaKCWisebigrickcook
    And Week 2 update is here.

Days 8 through 14 were successes! My lowest word count was 1,019 words, while my highest word count was 2,567 words.

The average daily word count is 1,576 words, down by a bit but still respectable.

My total yearly word count is 22,069 words, all on the same novel thus far.

tapeslingerKCWiseAmaliaQuoth
    My month/yearly total right now is only 8140, which is garbage, and only that high because I had a pretty productive day yesterday. On the up side, I've written more words in my two days of writing this week than I have in the previous 7, so at least I'm getting MORE productive and not less!

KCWise
    I am in editing hell. Vi just gets bigger while the Meadowlark critique process is taking twice as long as I expected. I have felt really discouraged for the week and have lost time because of that discouragement. Gonna try to make up for it today

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I actually managed to edit some pages yesterday. Not many, but it's a start. Plus I felt like I cut a good amount of info dump bullshit. The section still has some problems with mixing setting and dialogue, but that's always a thing I struggle with so not a surprise. I'll work on that after making sure the story still works. I wrote this several years ago.

My progress is in my signature. My writing has been really slow but reasonably steady. Reading has been a bit better.

Unless VanityPants tells me I suck like whoa, I AM DONE WITH THIS MANUSCRIPT FINALLY AHHHHHHHH.

Monthly/Yearly wordcount is up over 15,400! My Hippodamia Manuscript wrapped at 109.6K (After I deleted all the extra discarded stuff off the bottom and transferred it to my cut file for just in case I need some of those words in a different place later.)

*exhale of relief*

And now I can take a long weekend before diving into the next manuscript. Which, at least I'm in the same world for, generally, so it'll just be the shift of getting back into Helen's first-person head. *phew*

bigrickcookQuothKCWise
    edited January 2015
    Edit: Yay Amalia! Breathe deep and go back under. Novelists are whales, we have to dive deep to find the best words.

Week 3 update! Days 15 to 21 were all successes, despite some debilitating flu-like symptoms prior to the weekend, and I had one really incredible day where I wrote that 6k short story in about 4 hours.

Lowest word count for the week was 1,073 words, and highest word count was 6,274 words.

The average daily word count is 1,760 words, back up above NaNo levels.

My total yearly word count is 36,967 words, split between the novel (working title Gridfall) and the short story (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo meets Toy Story).

Gridfall's total word count is approximately 34k words.

I'm excited to tackle the next two weeks because five successful weeks means I've managed to go beyond NaNoWriMo for short-term consistency, and then it's on to long-term consistency.

bigrickcook on
    AmaliaKCWise
    edited January 2015
    I've begun my NEW BOOK, and I'm over 5K in --
    monthly/yearly total is 20,453 words!

Starting in February I'm upping my weekly goal to 10K/2K a day (with two days off) because I DESPERATELY want to finish this book before HELEN releases April 1st (though I'm giving myself until the 15th.)
    PROGRESS!!!

How is everyone else doing?

Amalia on

QuothbigrickcookKCWise
    I missed my weekly update yesterday for you all, because I'm letting it lapse to Saturday when I do my blog post update. But I am still on the 1K gravy train and haven't missed yet!

KCWisetapeslingerAmalia