Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

• KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Vi rewrite starts Monday! Plot is totally smoothed out, characters are crystallized, arc fully realized and even notes for book 2 ventured. So damn pumped, ya'll. All of the puzzle pieces finally fit.

Rick is doing such a tremendous job you guys! You should see his numbers!

Amalia
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    KCWise wrote: »
    Rick is doing such a tremendous job you guys! You should see his numbers!

I'm so swole, you guys. Do you even words?

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Week 4 update (will happen on Saturday/Sunday from now on)! Days 22 to 31 were all successes. Month 1 is complete and that's a damn good feeling.

Lowest word count for the week was 1,008 words, and highest word count was 1,180 words.

The average daily word count is 1,543 words, back below NaNo levels.

My total yearly word count is 47,845 words, split between the novel (working title Gridfall) and the short story (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo meets Toy Story).

Gridfall's total word count is approximately 46k words.

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    QuothtapeslingerKCWiseAmalia
    Lovin' that progress, Rick!

Meadowlark Critique on Scribophile is COMPLETE! Reviews were mostly positive with one outlier who had a pretty visceral reaction to the ending. I think, though, that her issues are her own and have little to do with the piece... Anyway, using the notes from everyone, I'm going to update it and then just leave it on the site from now on. Camp NaNo's project will be an examination of "P" and who he is. Already have notes for it! So exciting!

Vi rewrite/revision starts tomorrow morning at 5am! I have a full plot that now makes sense, I have a cast of coherent characters with motivations and personalities, I had a setting that is colorful and rich, and I know exactly where everyone ends up at the end. Time goal? To have something for beta readers by May. That is going to require a lot of work and a few miracles, but I think I can swing it.

Keeping my eyes open for contests/other ideas, but right now Vi and Meadowlark are the only universes my muse wants to play in...

Amaliatapeslingerbigrickcook
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    I've written next to nothing in my novel, but I've been working on a card game so I guess that counts?

• AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Whoops! missed my weekly update!

I'm at 8,815 words for the week (aiming for 10K by the end of tomorrow) and for the year, exactly 34,400!

ALSO 18,978 words in the NEW BOOK, and man, if some suitors do not get here fast, I am going to regret it. Also totally second-guessing everything that has happened so far. Hooray!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Elon's Roadster Rider In Heliocentric OrbitRegistered User regular
    A question from the curious -- for those doing a word-count-per-day thing, how do you measure editing? I can, and must, spend a lot of time on editing my fiction to get it straight, but I typically end up with less words at the end of each session of it.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    DoctorJest wrote: »
    A question from the curious -- for those doing a word-count-per-day thing, how do you measure editing? I can, and must, spend a lot of time on editing my fiction to get it straight, but I typically end up with less words at the end of each session of it.

I can see my per-session word count stuff in Project Targets in Scrivener each time I open it... I imagine folks might be doing something like that?

tapeslinger on
    DoctorJest
    Editing isn't factoring into my 'word count' for any given day. The moment I have to edit a novel while writing a new one will be an interesting day.

• DoctorJestDoctorJest Elon's Roadster Rider In Heliocentric OrbitRegistered User regular
    That would be interesting, certainly...though I took a look at the top-selling authors of all time the other day, and the novel counts for some of them are so mind-boggling that I actually can't figure out how they could possibly have done it.

I've not used Scrivener myself--I pretty much use Word, or WordPad occasionally, and that's it.

What I've been doing is counting editing as writing for the purposes of giving myself a sticker, but I only count words I add to the end of the story for word count.

I track my word totals by my document total wordcount (subtracting the starting count from the ending count for my total written per that day.) I write until I get to 2000 more words than I had when I started. If I have to backtrack and start and cut a big chunk of what I've written, I just move it down to the bottom of the page, because I find sometimes I want to use what I had written somewhere else and I don't want to delete it before I'm sure I don't need it later. So those words count toward my total as written and toward my total word doc count until I finish the manuscript and move it all into a separate file!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Week 5 Update! Forgot to post it, my bad.

Days 32 to 38 were all successes. I'm now a week beyond the regular NaNo timeline and the routine is great.

Lowest word count for the week was 1,019 words, and highest word count was 1,264 words.

The average daily word count is 1,469 words. I think I'm gonna be content not matching NaNo levels going forward, as 1,667 words a day feels like so much more than 1,000.

My total yearly word count is 55,623 words, split between the novel (working title Gridfall) and the short story (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo meets Toy Story).

Gridfall's total word count is approximately 55.5k words, which I believe is slightly above the 1/4 mark for completion of the first draft.

AmaliaQuothKCWiseDoctorJest
    On this fabulous Thor's Day, I am happy to report my writerly accomplishments thusly:

Weekly words (after 3 days of wording): 7,189! ( almost 1200 words ahead of myself!)
    Monthly words: 18,656
    Yearly words: 44,241!
    And the New Book is at: 28,819!!
    I also just had a super cool idea for how to incorporate some other PoVs into the book so it is not just all Helen all the time, which I am super stoked about.

HUZZAH!

bigrickcookQuothKCWise
    Way to go, Amalia! Keep them words a-coming.

Time for my Week Six update! Another week of all successes, happily.

Lowest word count for the week was 1,024 words, highest was 1,699 words.

Average daily for the year is down to 1,423.

Total for the year is 64,053 words.

Gridfall is at 62,357 words, about 31% complete.

AmaliaDoctorJestKCWise
    Almost forgot!

Weekly: 7,082 (1082 words ahead after 3 days -- and it is worth noting my new 2k a day for 5 days a week system is feeling WAY better overall, as far as keeping me from stressing out and feeling all the writer guilt.)
    Monthly: 29,035!
    Yearly: 54,620!
    and NEW BOOK: 39,198 words! (if only the plot felt like it was a third of the way through...)

KCWisebigrickcook
    Love love love! You guys are making great progress!

Me:

Vi: Blocked. Praying for inspiration and new direction (read: spring) so I can get up and get it done.

Blog: messing around with themes, format and growth. Also taking on a blogging project for Lent, so I am blogging every day for 40 days.

Meadowlark: the universe isn't done with me. I have notes for 2 more stories with these charact ers. I like writing this universe during Nano cycles, so I am going to continue that. If I am good at my life, there will be 4 Meadowlark stories total, all showcased on my blog. Going to outline for April Nano starting in March.

Lots of words... just not on my novel... because my brain is broken!

bigrickcookAmalia
    Keep it up, everyone! Be motivated, find that muse, drink a lot, whatever it takes!

Time for my Week Seven update! Another week of all successes, happily.

Lowest word count for the week was 1,020 words, highest was 1,732 words.

Average daily for the year is down to 1,392.

Total for the year is 72,429 words.

Gridfall is at 70,697 words, about 35% complete. I've hit a really good stride and am really happy with the way writing has been going. I haven't had such a good week at the real job, so it's nice that it hasn't negatively effected my writing.

AmaliaKCWiseDoctorJest
    holy buckets, Rick. 70,600 words is only a THIRD of your book?! that is going to be some epic!

Way to go on keeping up your 1K a day!!!

Amalia wrote: »
    holy buckets, Rick. 70,600 words is only a THIRD of your book?! that is going to be some epic!

Way to go on keeping up your 1K a day!!!

I'm anticipating 200K words on the rough, based on the basic outline I built for it. It will be the longest story I've ever written by a long shot.

Week Eight Update! 59 days of writing, two months in the kitty, not a single missed day as of yet. COLOR ME ALL KINDS OF EXCITED.

Lowest word count for the week was 1,040 words, highest was 3,121 words. Not only did I have a 2K day, I had a 3K day as well!

Average daily for the year is back up, to 1,417 words.

Total for the year is 83,653 words.

Gridfall is at 81,340 words, about 40% complete.

tapeslingerKCWiseQuoth
    ^This is phenomenal. You are, for reals, a beast. Keep up the good work!!!

edited February 2015
    Way to go Rick!!!

I tripped this week -- so far I'm only at 8,065 words for this week (though never did I write less than 1000 words, and today I plan to hit 1K or bust, still). I don't think I'm going to make it to 10K before the end of the day. HOWEVER, I did make it over 40K for the MONTH (exactly 4 weeks) so I'm still on target in the big picture.
    Monthly: 40,372
    Yearly: 65,957 words!

I also turned in TAMER OF HORSES to my agent (yay!!!) which is part of why I'm so frazzled this week. My brain is all "you just finished editing a book! THAT MEANS YOU GET A BREAK!" and I'm 50,535 words into the New Book, which is roughly 46% done!

Next week I'm only aiming for 5K as a weekly minimum because REASONS (which will become clear tomorrow ish), but then it's back to the 2K/5days a week plan for the rest of March.

Amalia on

tapeslingerbigrickcookKCWise
    Just finalized my Viable Paradise submission as well. Printed the hard copy out, my cover letter, wrote the check, packaged it all up. I'll send it out Monday from work and then send the digital submission portion and I'll be all set!

Then I can sit around for four months gnawing my fingers wondering if I'm gonna get in. *worryworry*

Amalia
    You'll get it.
    And TAPE TOO, AHEM AHEM AHEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMM

And we'll all get drinks! It'll be THE BEST!!!

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    We better get in! (I still have some decisions to make; I'm sending out this one story this one time to this one place and if I get it back from them, it's going in my application and we'll figure out what else to add to it.)

edited March 2015
    Related: my unofficial goal of having at least one story out the door per month is a success.

Currently have OGK still out at QDSF (33 days...) and now EYE is out at BCS.

I might even go for the hat trick and try to push that damn Cthulhu thing I wrote for that thing and then didn't submit to that thing, to another Cthulhu thing that closes Monday morning.

edit to add: I submitted the Cthulhu thing, with by my estimation about thirty minutes to spare, assuming I had the right closing date. >.< So I guess March is technically covered! I don't have high hopes for said Cthulhu-thing but whatever, it'd be cool to get it in somewhere because there are like, not many places worth sending it.

tapeslinger on
    AmaliaKCWisebigrickcook
    Week Nine Update! Still going strong, 66 days of 1,000 words minimum, no days missed.

Lowest word count for the week was 1035 words, highest was 1657 words. Not as good as last week, but still plenty good.

Average daily for the year is back down, to 1391 words.

Total for the year is 91,858 words.

Gridfall is at 88,947 words, about 45% complete.

Included in this total going forward will be a small amount of words dedicated to the round robin writing game I'm participating in, set to last another nine weeks.

Amalia
    I fell off the wagon this week because HELEN OF SPARTA!
    I only managed 1179 words, and most of those were edits for the first three chapters of the NEW BOOK for my agent. I also wrote some words for interviews. I'm not going to count them, obviously, but man so much going on. (Most of it was me refreshing and then going AHHHHHHHH WHAT AHHHHHHHHHHH!)

Next week I am back ON the wagon and going 2K/day 5 days a week. Or more. I might need to bump it to 2.5K/day, and 12K a week to make up for my miserable failure this week just in case.

Quoth
    I think we can excuse your lack of words because AHHHHH HELEN OF SPARTA OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

Amalia
    KCWise wrote: »
    I think we can excuse your lack of words because AHHHHH HELEN OF SPARTA OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

There is no excuse there is only Zuul.

I mean, yeah, totally, you had a whole other amazing thing happening this past week. I'd have been shocked had you kept any kind of writing up to par.

Amalia
    Yeah. writing new words proved nearly impossible. editing was marginally more productive, but I still kept refreshing like... every five pages.

Which is inexcusable. I need to break the cycle because seriously need to get this book finished like whoa. preferably before I have a deadline imposed by someone other than me.

Week Ten Update and I still haven't missed a day.

Lowest word count for the week was 1011 words, highest was 1302 words. I think 1011 is possibly the lowest I've written all year.

Average daily for the year is 1,369 words.

Total for the year is 99,998 words. WHY DIDN'T I JUST WRITE TWO MORE WORDS.

Gridfall is at 95,091 words, about 47% complete.

Everything's still going pretty well. This past week I was on vacation and I spent the first part of my vacation thinking I was getting the flu, only to kick that sickness's ass and be good again. Though I was on vacation I spent a lot of time out of state with family so I didn't get to dedicate as much time to writing as I told myself I would while on vacation. Either way, WOO, nearly 20% done with the year.

KCWise
    Another week of fail for me. Only 4,334 words this week. I'm in the middle of the book at the point where I have lost all confidence in myself as a writer and have no idea what I'm doing. Apparently this is normal for me, though I never REMEMBER it's normal until I'm well and truly agonized and have already beaten myself up, down, and sideways for my perceived failure. And then after I realize it I still feel like garbage.

monthly: piddling 5,513
    yearly: 72,160

I hate myself and suck at writing.

One day I will meet a person who says "I love writing the middle of books, it's my favorite part" and then I will screech in their face like a hawk and run away.

AmaliaKCWiseMagell
  • TLHTLH Registered User regular
    So I'm late to this party but here are some late to the party stats:

So far I have 13148 words on my current project. All done in the past four weeks. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

And I LIKE writing the middle bits. But also it is a screenplay, and also it has tons of weird asides, and also please don't screech at me.

Maybe just... exhale at me. But don't pull your punch, you exhale at me as much as you would any man.

I officially got ahead of my 1/month approach because I finally got my rejection back from Lightspeed and now it's off to Apex. Aside from minor adjustments if I notice them, that story is going in-rotation until I sell it *somewhere.*

bigrickcookKCWiseAmaliaQuoth
    Broke 100k in the WIP novel tonight. That was a pretty neat feeling.

tapeslingerAmaliaTLHQuothKCWiseMagell
    Week Eleven Update and going strong.

Lowest word count for the week was 1,007 words, highest was 1,414 words.

Average daily for the year is 1,353 words.

Total for the year is 108,243 words.

Gridfall is at 103,336 words, about 52% complete.

I spent a little time this past week feeling a little lost and wanting to work on other things, but I found the thing I was needing in Gridfall and now I'm moving forward again, almost everything is in place, and I can march towards the fun end stuff now. The round robin writing game I'm participating in has been a ton of fun, too.

AmaliatapeslingerKCWise