The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

• AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    This week was a slight improvement over last -- I'm 20,000 words behind right now but I AM GOING TO MAKE UP AS MUCH AS I CAN NEXT WEEK. OR BUST. (Also facing a jury duty summons at the end of the month and I am starting to FREAK OUT about not making my deadline.)

anyway, weekly: 5,948 7,184 (at least I made 1K a day average for my 5 days of writing, and this week also included revision/editing of the first 3 chapters... at least twice, plus the breakthrough I needed to figure out how to move forward. I definitely feel like I did at least 7.5K of WORK even if I didn't do 7.5K of actual words.)
    Manuscript: 62.6K 63,922
    Monthly: 11,461 12,697
    Yearly: 78,108 79,344

Onward! I'll be getting some writing done today, I think, and denying myself a full weekend until I get caught up.

(also apparently el husband's boss bought a copy of HELEN and I am not sure how to feel about that. Awkward, mostly.)

ETA: new words because my week ends on Sunday and starts on Monday and I wrote words today SO THERE.

Amalia on
    Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    bigrickcooktapeslingerKCWise
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Amalia wrote: »
    All the Awesome.

(also apparently el husband's boss bought a copy of HELEN and I am not sure how to feel about that. Awkward, mostly.)

You're still keeping the writing up and moving, and that's not nothing! Way to go!

As for your husband's boss, two of the owners of my company have bought my books before. They didn't really say anything about it afterwards but I doubt my books were their kind of reading and they didn't want to tell me they didn't like them.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    I think it's kind of strange how much more attention from family and friends HELEN is getting. BECAUSE it is performing so well, I suppose. Which is weird to me because it isn't like it was more or less of an achievement to write than any of my previous titles. Basically people are celebrating the fact that other people know the book exists, and recognizing it because it is getting some recognition, a fact over which I have 0 control and have put 0 of my own sweat and blood into, vs my other books which I've had to work a LOT HARDER to get even where they are.

Publishing is a strange, strange business.

And still I write on!

Congrats to you, Rick, seriously. You're daily 1K is AWESOME and inspirational! Your consistency totally blows me away.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

KCWise
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    yeah, I really love that Rick is GETTING IT DONE.

I uh
    still have three irons in the fire, nothing's changed there.

I have two weird things going that I'm hoping are going to be flash fiction but I'm not feeling blown away by any of them yet so eh

AmaliaKCWise
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    My Meadowlark "prequel" for Camp NaNo is fully outlined and ready to go. It needs a freaking title. Gonna ponder this week.
    Act I of Vi is fully edited for now, and then... I uh... didn't look at Vi again all week. Bad, KC! Bad! Gonna fix that this week.
    Currently outlining my work for Ploughshares. That is a very deliberate process because it has a limit of only 6,000 words.
    Lent Blog is rolling along. I've blogged every single day for 33 days, you guys. So crazy! I've enjoyed the time and space to be reflective. I am excited for it to end soon, but I'm glad that I've done it. Very few views on it (I haven't advertised it. It's an accountability thing rather than a sharing thing). The devotional sewing for Lent, too, is coming along beautifully.

I finished my hand-sewn sleepsack for my friend's baby today. Gonna send it tomorrow.
    I designed two more quilts this week that will, within the next month, turn into sleepsacks as well! It's gonna be a crazy April, kids!

Sleepsack Cool, huh?

tapeslingerAmaliabigrickcook
    KC you are freaking amazing. Wow!

tapeslingerbigrickcook
    KC's daily log is insane sometimes with the number of words written between blogging and fiction. I may hit around 9000 weekly words between fiction and blog, but hers are just bananas most days.

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    Don't congratulate me until I finish something for once. And get published. Or else all of this is for nada. Can you dig it?

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I wrote a flash fic last week and outlined a story.

On the other hand, I read two books, so that was nice.

AmaliatapeslingerKCWisebigrickcook
    10,181 words this week!
    I ought to have done better since I was writing 7 days, not 5, but I also had to put together the Theseus: Journey into Legend (Candyland) game board for my launch party which took WAY WAY WAY longer than I anticipated and was a real PITA to do, cutting into my writerly productivity. At least it's finished now! I just have to take it to be printed and I'm ready to go. Did I mention I also recreated Bronze Age themed Sorry! gamecards? Waiting for those to arrive from the printer! So stoked for this party!

Monthly: 23,138
    Yearly: 89,785
    and in the New Book: 74,367
    Gonna make it over the 75K mark today.

KCWisebigrickcooktapeslinger
    AMALIA the AMAZING!!!
    Also: Pics! Pics! We must needs them!

tapeslinger
    A selection of the Sorry! game cards are posted on tumblr: http://amaliadillin.tumblr.com/post/114493867528/im-making-a-helen-of-sparta-bronze-age-greece

There isn't really a great way to share the Candyland gameboard in a manner befitting it's wonder -- the file is GINORMOUS and shrinking it down makes it impossible to read the board. But I'll have pictures when it's printed and set up with its mini Mycenaean and sea peoples game pieces for the party, promise! (El Husband and a friend are actually painting the mini figures right now in the kitchen and they are looking super fancy. Way fancier than they need to be, to be honest ha. But that is how El Husband rolls!)

tapeslinger
    Way to go Amalia!

Forgot to post yesterday, but the progress is still moving right along. Week 12 and still no missed days. Fun fact: The tornadoes that ripped through my town knocked our power out on Wednesday and I wrote my words in the dark on a tablet, but I got 'em done.

Lowest word count for the week was 1036, highest word count was 1507.

Total for the year is 116,561 words. Average daily is 1,339 words. Gridfall is at 110,416 words, 55% finished.

AmaliatapeslingerKCWise
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    So proud of all you mofos. Write your arses off!

g4OlSIF.jpg
    bigrickcookKCWise
    Week Thirteen! No days missed still. I had a close call earlier in the week when I worked a really long day at the real job and had to hustle to get the words in, but all to the good.

Lowest word count for the week was 1001! Lowest it's been so far. Highest was 1695 thanks to @Quoth tonight in IRC Sprints.

Total for the year is 124,758 words. Average daily is 1,327 words. Gridfall is at 117,925 words or 59% complete.

KCWiseAmaliatapeslinger
    Way to continue Rockin' it, Rick!!

Okay. So. I am cheating on Helen's sequel with a contemporary romance which I have 0 time for but now I'm using it as a reward to write my words so at least there's that.

This Week: 14,083
    This Month (literally from April 1st onward): 8,941
    Yearly: 104,352
    Helen II (previously New Book): 82,097
    Sully&Kate: 6,838

I'm feeling SO MUCH BETTER about my productivity this week!

tapeslingerbigrickcookKCWiseQuothgossamer
  • gossamergossamer Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I'm still in the middle of reading Helen of Sparta, but I am ridiculously excited by the idea of you writing a contemporary romance! <3

Amalia
    Noooooooooo. Gossamer, don't encourage me! the temptation is already too great!
    (Thanks for reading Helen!! And for the excitement! I cannot wait to take a break from historical fiction to dive in head first into this book it is so fun and I love Kate and Sully so much already! ahhhhhhh!)

• gossamergossamer Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    So far I'm really enjoying Helen! I'll post a review on Amazon once I'm done.
    (And then once I finish this book, I'll be tempting you every chance I get for this mysterious Kate & Sully book ;) lol)

Amalia
    gossamer wrote: »
    So far I'm really enjoying Helen! I'll post a review on Amazon once I'm done.
    (And then once I finish this book, I'll be tempting you every chance I get for this mysterious Kate & Sully book ;) lol)

Awesome!! Thanks!! Hopefully you will not hate me for the ending!
    I am totally okay with this!

Week Fourteen! Still haven't missed any days and this past week included Day 100! Fun times.

Lowest word count for the week was 1020 words. Highest was 1418.

Total for the year is 132,618 words. Average daily is 1,313 words. Gridfall is at 125,157 words or 62.5% complete.

AmaliaKCWisetapeslingerQuoth
    Week Fifteen! No days missed still. Feelin' pretty good about writing these days.

Lowest word count for the week was 1075 words, and highest was 3540!

Total for the year is 143,934 words. Average daily is 1,332, up from previous weeks. Gridfall is at 130,925 words or 65.4% complete.

Also working on a short story this week, so I'm split between three projects and I don't really want to be. Not sure how that'll shake out.

AmaliaKCWisetapeslinger
    I missed a week because Launch Party -- but this week I'm making my comeback, and I'm running out of days in which to complete this book so I'd better be.

Last week was only 4,380 words because launch party prep and party itself. it was insane guys but so much fun!
    This week: 8,406 so far, still working today and tomorrow.
    book: 94,800 (but this is really more like 86K because I have a lot of cut words on the bottom, so I think I have about 20K to go. Good news is I am tackling the Judgment of Paris today so progress is progressing!)
    Yearly: 117,902

this has been a really painful manuscript to write.

KCWisebigrickcooktapeslinger
    edited April 2015
    Weekly: 8,798 10,135! (still tomorrow and the rest of today during which I will be writing -- I made it up over 11K last week!)
    Monthly: 33,990 35,327!
    Book: 106,299 107,635 currently (which is really more like 97K subtracting cuts) And I have ONLY TWO AND A HALF CHAPTERS LEFT TO WRITE!
    Of course the last time I said "I have only 3 chapters left to write!" the first of the three chapters turned into three chapters on its own soooo. Yeah. *knocks on wood*
    Today I'm aiming to finish this chapter (1/3) Chapter 1/3 is finished and with any luck, start I've started chapter 2/3, so I can wrap this on Monday and have a couple of days to read it over before delivering it to my agent. (DOOM)

Yearly: 129,401

also I have noticed that since I have suspended my weekend, I am not really even writing more than 10K a week regardless on average. So. That's... frustrating. I'm going to blame being sick, but maybe I just kind of tap out naturally around 10K per week and that's my groove? I'm sure I'll have time to find out over the course of the rest of the year.

Once I finish this manuscript I am taking a structured writing break, but kind of against my will, because there is going to be some INSANE amounts of new flooring installation going on in my house in May for which I basically have to pack up EVERYTHING and remove it to clear the upstairs so the work can be done and I kind of hate my sister right now for doing things this way. BUT WHEN I CAN WRITE IN MAY I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO PLAY WITH SULLY AND KATE! and then I guess I need to start writing um. whatever comes next. I dunno if that's going to be Helen 3 or Orc 3 (which I had planned to attack) but I kind of want to beat my head against a wall just thinking about it, either way. Hopefully I'll feel better about all this grinding come June.

Amalia on

tapeslingerbigrickcookKCWise
    Way to go, Amalia! I forgot strikethrough was even possible on this forum.

My own update is one of consistency.

Week sixteen of the year has come and gone and I stand atop its bloody, mangled corpse the victor once more!

Lowest word count for the week was 1036, highest was 2374! Daily average is upticking still, back up to 1342 words per day.

Total count for the year: 153,330 words. Gridfall is at 136,321 words, about 68% finished. Avalon Circle is at 9,316 words, about 80% complete. The round robin writing game has concluded Week 9, just two weeks left to go.

I'm feeling really good about things right now!

AmaliatapeslingerKCWiseQuoth
    Way to go, Rick!!! You have been phenomenally consistent! Keep on keeping on!

KCWiseQuoth
    Helen2 is DONE!
    And for this week, I think I am too!
    April's wordcount: 37,886
    The manuscript hit 110K and change -- which was almost EXACTLY what I had guesstimated, so that was fun, and it ended up at 99,500 after I lost the garbage words.

I've been writing nonstop since January, and before that, nonstop October-December15 so. Time for a well-earned break!

QuothbigrickcooktapeslingerKCWise
    I did not post my update! Shame on me.

Basically, I'm still awesome. No missed days yet.

tapeslingerKCWiseAmalia
    1. Blackwork is composed, edited, and below 6,000 words. I am reading to verify that my slicing and dicing didn't break the story. Trying to submit by next Monday.
    2. Vi is still on hold while I garner the skills/patience/wisdom to fix it and put it back together.
    3. I am working on a Christmas children's book with my sister, Iruka, and I'm stupid excited about it. Might consume my life until the first draft is due in July.

It is my hope and plan to take a "writing sabbatical" from June to August to do some fucking reading. I have not been doing it and I think that my writing is suffering because of it. Hope to read at least to classics (sci fi and fantasy), one literary (probably Toni Morrison's new book) and then one stupid book (Mom keeps talking to me about this book about suburban moms...). Then I'll start up in September ready to rock out the writing again. Will still work on the project with Iruka, but I don't consider that to have the same intensity that the other writing has had. If ya'll have suggestions for the sci fi and fantasy, I'd appreciate it. Should I read Ian Banks? Should I read a great example of "magical realism" (which is how my writing tends to go)? Is there a woman or person of color I should have read but haven't?

tapeslingerAmalia
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    @KCWise -- Not "classic" (not yet, anyway--it just came out in 2012), but you could check out N.K. Jemisin's The Killing Moon for your fantasy book--she's a woman and a person of color and the book is fantastic. Her first trilogy, starting with The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is really popular, too, although I didn't like them as much.

If you haven't read any Neil Gaiman yet, this might be a good time to do that. American Gods is pretty classic and more of a magical realism than sword and sorcery type fantasy.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    I need to read KC's new draft and get back to my novel. But first, Commander Shepard needs to party in her swank new apartment.

KCWise wrote: »
    I am working on a Christmas children's book with my sister, Iruka, and I'm stupid excited about it. Might consume my life until the first draft is due in July.

Whoa, whoa, wait, what? Iruka is your sister?

Yup. :) She is my lil' sis!

I will pick up American Gods. I liked N.K.'s kingdoms and struggled to find a like for the Killing Moon. But maybe this is a good team to finish it, seeing as my brain is a bit empty.

bigrickcook
    KCWise wrote: »
    Yup. :) She is my lil' sis!

She is awesome-sauce. You will make a formidable team.

Awwww, thank you! She is the better and the cuter of the two of us

The more important issue: Is she the singler of the two of you?

LOL! Who gets fresh about my sister?? I ain't gonna put alllllllll her business out there, but I will say that she is very happy and not available. ;) nice try tho!

tapeslinger
    *finger snap*

Aw, shucks.

edited May 2015
    Way to go KC, and Rick!

I find reading really does wonders for my writing, too. I consider it part of the job, for sure, and it's definitely worth refilling the tanks!

Amalia on