Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keeping Ya Honest: It's Too Hot to Write! (JK!)

• bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Oh, and I finished my portion of that round robin writing game last night. Now I just have to wait for everyone else to put their entries in and then we'll see if any of them are worth sharing out, or if I can convince them to let me run an editor's pen all over them.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    Amalia
    Week nineteen! No missed days, still. Keeping all the plates spinning, finished a short story, waiting on the round robin writing game's other participants to finish their stories, still plugging away at Gridfall.

Total count for the year thus far is 179,566 words. Average daily word count is 1,320 words. Gridfall is at 154,163 words. Based on my projections for the story, it is 85.6% finished.

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    KCWiseAmaliatapeslingerQuothCambiata
    Week twenty! Still going strong, no missed days yet. My average per day has gone down steadily the last few weeks, but I'm not terribly concerned about that as I'm still like 40K over for the year at this point.

KCWiseDoctorJestAmaliaQuoth
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I started a story for an anthology, and plotted some novel stuff. Yay.

AmaliatapeslingerKCWisebigrickcook
    Guys, I'm so close to the end for Gridfall. First I dropped it from 200k to 180k, then thought it was going to be 200k again, but with one necessary character shift the whole ending changed and now I think I'm in the final week of initial writing.

QuothAmaliatapeslingerKCWise
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm so close to the end for Gridfall. First I dropped it from 200k to 180k, then thought it was going to be 200k again, but with one necessary character shift the whole ending changed and now I think I'm in the final week of initial writing.

Go go go go go!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    tapeslingerKCWise
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Sent out my 1 per month submission, this time to the Queers Destroy Fantasy special for Lightspeed.

AmaliaQuothbigrickcookKCWise
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Elon's Roadster Rider In Heliocentric OrbitRegistered User regular
    I'm just waiting for Lightspeed to open back up to regular subs -- looks like that'll be June 1st. It's a market that I really want to crack...

But I'm letting short fiction hamstring my novel writing again. I keep thinking "I should work on the novel", then I think "but I'll finish this short story first", and I reason that I'm using short fiction to improve my writing before I write out that whole novel -- which is true to a point, it's part of why I was submitting and writing so much of it, to learn how to improve my craft -- but I'm not sure at what point this stops being me trying to hone my craft, and instead becomes me avoiding the commitment of trying to write a decent novel.

As a person also waffling between the two, I say try to do a little novel work as often as possible if you can. I was doing about 400 words a day last month, which isn't much but it does add up.

DoctorJest
    I'd advise you to get on with the novel. Practice is great, but the novel won't be written if you're always waiting to be good enough to write it, and that's a slippery slope to let yourself fall down.

AmaliaDoctorJest
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Elon's Roadster Rider In Heliocentric OrbitRegistered User regular
    @Quoth, and @bigrickcook -- I reckon you're both right on this one. I am at least being more particular about the stories I work on -- so I'm no longer just churning out whatever idea happens to have hit me, which is a step in the right direction -- and I like the idea of trying to work on it at least somewhat as often as I can. That said, I don't want to abandon the stories I'm already working on, so perhaps a kind of timeshare scheme is in order -- at least until I'm able to get them out the door, anyway.

bigrickcook
    Yeah, alternate days or work a little on each every day. Whatever it takes.

bigrickcookDoctorJestAmalia
    Week twenty one, y'all! BIG news this evening. First, the usual: no missed days. And now:

Gridfall is motherfucking DONE. 5,178 words today to finish it out. 174,572 words at the final count for the rough draft.

Also I broke 200K words for the year! Which means I'm 50K words ahead for the year in general. WHAT. WHAT IS THIS EVEN. I DON'T KNOW.

I'm gonna go get drunk now.

KCWiseDoctorJestAmaliaQuothtapeslinger
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO RICK!! RICK IS THE KING OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

Amaliatapeslinger
    Way to ROCK, Rick!!! HIGHEST OF FIVES!!!!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

tapeslinger
    Okay, team. I am back on the bandwagon, but in combo revision and rewriting mode. I have to rewrite the entire second half of HELEN II to make it conclude the series with a firm 120K word max length so I'll be checking in and agonizing again.

Oh no! When did that happen? You intended for 3, right?

KCWise wrote: »
    Oh no! When did that happen? You intended for 3, right?

it's been a possibility for several weeks now. Kind of a mixed bag thing. Maybe I'll drop by the IRC and give ya'll the Low Down.

Oh noes, Amalia! I'm sorry to hear you won't be able to tell the story the way you originally wanted to. =(
    Could be worse, though! At least they want you to finish the story.

Week Twenty Two update! This is the first week since the start of the year that I haven't worked on Gridfall at least to some extent. I've decided to take a break from the story until July, so that when I come back with my long list of editing notes I'll also be coming at it with fresh eyes.

No missed days this week, 1000 words minimum erry day, y'all.

Total for the year, 208K. Average per day, 1326 words.

Current Project: The Children of Avalon Circle - 17,327 words. Originally a short story, it changed directions pretty quickly and now it's gonna verge on mid-tier novella territory I think. Coming of Age kinda story, no magic, lots of melodrama.

AmaliaQuothKCWise
    I'm actually not THAT broken up about it -- it works out to my advantage, assuming I can make the book work (the structure is going to kill me to figure out) and also assuming other things I can't go into work out the way I'm hoping they will. And you know, I'd rather have readers be satisfied than have another frustrating "omg the ending was awful this book sucks!" event. There's definitely an element of "oh god I thought I was done with this book why am I doing this to myself" and I only have until August to make it happen so. *hysterical laughter.*

anyway. Words this week/month: 5019 (3 working days with lots of editing and rereading to balance the words that weren't written.)
    there's been a lot of cutting and trimming in the document itself, but total words put toward this book according to le spreadsheet: 118,733

In the month of May I also wrote: 8,161 words.
    Yearly total: 146,477

As always, WAY TO GO RICK!! you are an inspiration to us all!

KCWisebigrickcook
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Okay I finished that dumb thing I was gonna do and then didn't do and then wasn't going to do and then decided to do anyways

bigrickcookAmaliaKCWiseQuoth
    Today I outlined the next/final 10 chapters of this new book. I never outline. But man, I think this is going to work! And I might even come in under-wordcount!

Definitely going to have to make a note in my historical note about compressing the timeline though -- no way is Helen going to be married ten years before Paris shows up. I mean, I'm sure to her it will FEEL like ten years but. Just nope. I do not have enough words for that.

I am challenging myself to write a chapter a day until this book is done. Keep me honest, friends!

bigrickcook
    I like that idea, because it gives a good sense of progress and chapters have good finality to them.

I don't think I could pull it off, since most of my chapters trend on the long side (3,000+ words), at least during the initial writing.

edited June 2015
    Mine are usually around 2000 words, sometimes longer sometimes shorter, but it's about right for the pace I want to keep anyway. The only problem I think I'll have is being 3 chapters from the end for 3 chapters, and have too many words. :-/
    edit: Also research D: so much research of new places. Salamis and Egypt and ugh.

Amalia on

Blimey. I checked my chapters, and they've typically been more like 5-6k, give or take.

it's 8pm and I have so far only written 370 words and I think I need to delete them and try starting this scene later and what is WRONG with me. ugh.

Sometimes you have a false start. It happens. Maybe you need a different entry point into the scene? An image, a conflict, some dialogue?

KCWiseAmalia
    Yeah, this morning I came at it from a different point in the scene and I think it's working better now. We'll see.

Quoth
    False starts are the worst. There were a few times on Gridfall that I started, waffled around for half an hour, writing almost nothing, and had to just step back and be like WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME and then erased a hundred words and started fresh. It's definitely a thing.

AmaliaQuothtapeslinger
    I am feeling this way about a short story outline I am working on. My muse goes dead stop when I go in a funky direction. I think I found my footing again.

Today was the last day of school. My productivity is about to plummet in ways that I cannot even fathom.

Oh noooes, KC. Well, I wish you all the luck in circumventing the plummeting productivity! I believe in you!

Lately I keep backing up to want, need and flaw. If nothing else, the want and how it's being opposed. And if applicable, by whom. So then I try to get that want across as quickly as is reasonable and show what the person has to overcome to get it.

It is Day Two of my new chapter-a-day challenge, and LO! Though I have written 2011 words this day, I have not yet vanquished this first chapter.

But I'm feeling okay about it at least.

tapeslingerbigrickcookKCWiseQuoth
    You can dooooo this! We are with you! Go, go, go, go!

Amalia
    The first chapter is COMPLETE! at 2800 words! Longer than I wanted but as long as none of these chapters go over 3K I'll be within wordcount. *fingers crossed*
    1 down, 9 to go!

tapeslingerKCWiseQuothbigrickcook
    TWO chapters down, EIGHT to go!
    (This last one came in at 2,267 words! not bad!)
    3,055 words today! BAM.
    Week: 6,368
    Month: 11,191
    Year to date: 152,899

tapeslingerQuothbigrickcook
    Way to go, Amalia! Keep it fantastic.

Another update from yours truly, Week Twenty Three has come and gone and I'm still rocking 1,000 words a day. At about 25k for Avalon Circle and the story has a shape now instead of me just kind of meandering in this cul-de-sac describing a summer vacation. Probably means I'll have a lot to cut once I finish it up, but I still don't really know how long it's gonna be. Maybe 40K, maybe 60. I dunno.

Total for the year: 215,744 words. Average daily is 1,315.

KCWiseQuothAmalia
    And he also gave me feedback on my story, because he is a boss.

AmaliaKCWisetapeslinger
    Another one bites the dust!
    Chapter 50 is complete! that is 3 chapters down, 7 to go!
    today: 2,242 words. *phew*
    Tomorrow is a day off but I have the first line of the next chapter in place so hopefully I will not lose too much momentum and on Tuesday I can just dive right back in and destroy at least 5 more chapters easy peasy. Guys I am feeling really good about the progress I'm making right now. You don't even know. It feels totally like finishing this is DOABLE, rather than a giant sword of Damocles hanging over my head, awaiting my inevitable.

sidenote: I didn't realize how old "bites the dust" really is as an expression until I recently read this book on Achilles in the Trojan War and it had a whole mess of quotations from the Iliad (naturally) and the translations included a lot of riffs on the same kind of expression which somehow I did not notice when I had read the Iliad previously.

Sidenote the Second: I do not know if I used Sword of Damocles correctly even after I read this NPR explanation, but whatever, common usage etc. http://www.npr.org/2011/08/19/139799434/sword-of-damocles-reference-sometimes-misused

QuothKCWisebigrickcooktapeslinger