As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This S T E A M thread is old.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I appear to have given away my key to Red Faction: Guerrilla. I do not recall doing this. Dat Steam. (I wanted to blow stuff up.)

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Be careful about your deck, it is entirely possible to build a two button pony that will plod along through everything you encounter as long as you have the patience to hit those two buttons over and over and over and over and over and *sob*

Don't be me!

I'm still recovering from the suffering I inflicted upon myself.

I should come back and use one of the /fun/ decks I built instead.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DariaDaria Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    Impression after 2.5 hours is that The Secret World is well worth the $8 I paid for it. As good or better than many MMO's I paid $40-$60 for. I was iffy on the general presentation value at first, but then suddenly everything started looking detailed and amazing, with novel camera angles and effects. Good-to-great voice acting, far above average writing for a MMO - possibly the best I've seen. Enjoying combat though it feels flaky at times. Great customization and advancement. The client and general interface seems a bit rough around the edges.

I also think the price of admission is worth it alone for all the campy horror references. And of course being free-to-play, it's not a big deal if I can't commit to playing it every week. I think it's the best game I picked up during the winter sale.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I just watched Three Musketeers. I now want a swashbuckling combat game, fuck sake video games why can't you just tailor everything to my whimsy? For real though, can anybody think of anything on steam that fits the bill? I'm probably missing something super obvious, but I can't bring anything to mind.

Also I started playing Banner Saga. Really glad I backed the kickstarter for it, so pretty and decent fun to boot.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    DariaDaria Registered User regular
    Sid Meier's Pirates? Maybe one of the Sea Dogs games? Don't know if either is on steam though.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    I just watched Three Musketeers. I now want a swashbuckling combat game, fuck sake video games why can't you just tailor everything to my whimsy? For real though, can anybody think of anything on steam that fits the bill? I'm probably missing something super obvious, but I can't bring anything to mind.

Also I started playing Banner Saga. Really glad I backed the kickstarter for it, so pretty and decent fun to boot.

Nidhogg.
    Buckle dat swash

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

A...Assassin's Creed 4?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Daria wrote: »
    Sid Meier's Pirates? Maybe one of the Sea Dogs games? Don't know if either is on steam though.

Seconding Pirates! , which is indeed on Steam. And very good it is, too.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I have Pirates, and while it's a good game the sword play is more of a qte affair (and also not the meat of the game), not really what I'd ideally be looking for.
    Of course my ideal game doesn't actually exist because Platinum haven't made a Three Musketeers game yet, but that's neither here nor there.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular

Man, I loved SeaDogs. I wish we could have more of that, it was an amazing game.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    sp32cwT.png

?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I have Pirates, and while it's a good game the sword play is more of a qte affair (and also not the meat of the game), not really what I'd ideally be looking for.
    Of course my ideal game doesn't actually exist because Platinum haven't made a Three Musketeers game yet, but that's neither here nor there.

Didn't anyone suggest Assassins Creed or was the age limit an issue for you?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Beat Thomas Was Alone. Kind of a downer pre-ending... also a question.
    Kind of sucky that the whole team died to create power-up zones. Especially since most of them didn't contribute a zone! Also, in the ending, the "couple" survives while the murderous liar gets sent to purgatory, but what about the Jump Team and Paul? I wanted to either get them out or at least see their end if they didn't make it...

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    What about Blade Symphony? Not 100% what you asked for but the swordfighting in that is pretty rad.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I started playing through Arkham Asylum again yesterday. This is my 4th playthrough, so I chose hard mode. I took a few hits here and there, but the combat system is coming back to me...plus it's been so long since I played Arkham City, so that game's improvements to the combat have been mostly forgotten.

It's such a well-made game (aside from the boss fights). Anyone here who owns it but hasn't played it yet should consider putting it to the top of your queue. It's basically a 3D Metroidvania with a fun combat and stealth system.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

A...Assassin's Creed 4?

He said "Combat game" :P

I mean, as much as I love the Assassin's Creed series - having 100%ed every one I played - the combat was never a strong suit of the series.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular

A...Assassin's Creed 4?

He said "Combat game" :P

I mean, as much as I love the Assassin's Creed series - having 100%ed every one I played - the combat was never a strong suit of the series.

Sure is pretty to look at though. Some of those finishers are beautifully brutal.

• Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I have a few games from the Humble Bundle that I'm not interested/not sure if my laptop can handle. I'm not high level on Steam to do the steamgifts either, so please be kind and let me know if you take the gift codes below so I can marked them off.

Joe Danger 2
    Papa & Yo
    BIT.TRIP
    Strike Suit Zero

cookiekrush on
    Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Hey cookie, I took Joe Danger 2! Thanks, was disappointed the first game took so long to come over to PC and lost notice of it years ago

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Papo & Yo is a wonderful, heartfelt, touching game with some eye-poppingly beautiful art. Somebody should take that code, hug it, and go forth and play the game now.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Nidhogg.
    Buckle dat swash

@Dyvim Tvar

Nidhogg.
    Swash those buckles.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Hah, I'm the wrong guy to ask about Bastion.

WHAT?!?? You always get everyone to buy stuff. Or at least wish list it. :P

On that note though, It will take forever, but I want to do this art to my game list. I need a boat in all of them.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    Hah, I'm the wrong guy to ask about Bastion.

WHAT?!?? You always get everyone to buy stuff. Or at least wish list it. :P

On that note though, It will take forever, but I want to do this art to my game list. I need a boat in all of them.

Yeah. I don't dislike Bastion but I don't love it like most do. Probably because high production values aren't a big factor with me. If you follow my posting for a while you'll find that I'm much more interested in systems and mechanics in gaming than I am impressed by presentation. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate or recognize high production values, but a game that has a lot of polish in that area and uses standard mechanics won't rate as high on my scale as a game that delivers interesting mechanical design. See every Arcen game ever for an example.

I just finished off Bioshock Infinite for example and while I was in awe of the production, the gameplay itself was mostly average, occasionally genuinely awesome and absolutely terrible more often than awesome. As far as FPSs go I have a ton of indie and lower budget shooters that deliver far more consistent and satisfying second to second gameplay. I really enjoyed Bioshock Infinite but it's no Proteus.

Drake on
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ah, that is a good point. Either way, I added some text from the setting sail song to the tile. I think it looks ok now.
    Bastion%20Tile.jpg?psid=1
    Thanks for you insight as always into games. For me though, I don't know it may be like other games, but I found the block to be very responsive as you increased the difficulty. I felt I died because I didn't respond, not because of mechanics. But I also couldn't handle it so don't know. Just my thoughts.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Okay, my birthday is on Monday. I am turning 33. This feels like a good time to do things like lament my ever-failing body, ponder the meaning of my own mortality, and give away a bunch of stuff. All are open to the Adventure Team group until Monday night.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Morning reminder for this giveaway. I'll do one final reminder this evening before they end tonight. Also, final batch of Steam Keys!

Loading...?

And here are what these are in order, so don't grab it if you already have it in your library.
    1. A Virus Named TOM
    2. LIMBO
    3. Bastion
    4. Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
    5. Medal of Honor
    6. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Man, I loved SeaDogs. I wish we could have more of that, it was an amazing game.

Well, Akella also made Pirates of the Caribbean (which was SeaDogs 2 but rebranded at the last second by the publisher to tie in with the movie), Age of Pirates, and City of Abandoned Ships (which is AoP 2), all of which were good. They also apparently made a SeaDogs 3, but I don't think it was ever translated into English.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Brutal J wrote: »
    I was bitten by a radioactive @Rikdaly giving me the strength, reflexes, and senses of a pinball master allowing me to beat @Viking's top score on the Spiderman pinball table by 19 million.

That gives me 3 high scores now. Hopefully, I won't get any sort of comeuppance in the form of one of my beloved scores to getting tragically gunned down.

Even if I forget that with great pinball power comes great pinball responsibility, I'm sure I can always count on at least one high score to continue to cling to life well beyond responsible life expectancy.

In the unlikely event I lose them all, then it's deal with the devil time.

wooo I did it @Brutal J

E1A9E647DB065E59DE9D7D970C1103EB78636818

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks a lot @Brutal J.

I hope you know this is all your fault.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    There are occasional posts (moreso around the holidays, and a few more lately) where people ask for recommendations for games that will run on older hardware.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to start building a database of games on Steam that run well on these types of machines. A database with full reviews instead of three sentence primers, so that people can have something to look through for game suggestions if they're broke (my 3DMark is lower than my credit score), on the road (I'm stuck in a hotel with a work laptop), or visiting family over the holidays (I'm stuck at my grandma's house and the only PC I have access to is her ancient single core Dell budgetbox kiiiiiiiiilllll meeeeeee).

Especially with the push toward indie games that aren't optimized well and the fact that most devs seem to pick their official system requirements by throwing darts at a spinning wheel, so you can't really reliably judge how much power a lot of games need by how they look or the store page anymore.

• Options
    I think a lot of indie devs aren't actually picking system requirements. It probably works more along the lines of trying to get something together that functions and then seeing what machines it will run on. Fact is a lot of indie game makers aren't badass programmers. Most badass programmers are probably working paying gigs.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Indie game development actually is a paying gig.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    @TychoCelchuuu

Not in the sense of a corporate job with benefits. You won't find a lot of stock options or other benefits in indie anything. And a ton of indie developers make and release games and lose everything. Indie development is personally risky unless they find angel investors or hit the crowdfunding jackpot.

Is it a legit profession? Absolutely. Is it the same as working for a big company in terms of secure pay and benefits? Not at all.

Drake on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    I have to admit, I'm not really enjoying the gun play in Chronicles of Riddick: Esacape From Butcher Bay. Enemies do too much damage and your own guns are way too inaccurate to consistently land headshots. I wanted to play this as a ninja, shanking dudes from the shadows, but it seems the game is equal parts sneaking / shooting.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    Brutal J wrote: »
    I was bitten by a radioactive @Rikdaly giving me the strength, reflexes, and senses of a pinball master allowing me to beat Viking's top score on the Spiderman pinball table by 19 million.

That gives me 3 high scores now. Hopefully, I won't get any sort of comeuppance in the form of one of my beloved scores to getting tragically gunned down.

Even if I forget that with great pinball power comes great pinball responsibility, I'm sure I can always count on at least one high score to continue to cling to life well beyond responsible life expectancy.

In the unlikely event I lose them all, then it's deal with the devil time.

wooo I did it Brutal J

E1A9E647DB065E59DE9D7D970C1103EB78636818

Son of a bitch.

I can only assume you were wearing black at the time.

Enjoy your emo haircut and stupid victory dance, but just you wait, one day I'll mutate and grow two more sets of arms and then we'll see who has the high score! (It'll still be you, cause god damn, 200 mill?!)

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Bundle Stars just launched The Kingdoms Bundle, which is pretty great if you're looking for grand strategy or (inexplicably) Magicka.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    So the only words I have for @destroyah87 are Thank you, thank you, thank you! Way too classy!
    srgift.jpg

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    You people are crazy. I'm pretty happy if I just break ONE million on a pinball table...

B)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    I wanted saints row the third for like ever so I finally bought it last night :o

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I was just gifted a copy of Bad Rats. By my mom.

I always thought I was a good son, so I have no idea what I've done to deserve this.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I was just gifted a copy of Bad Rats. By my mom.

I always thought I was a good son, so I have no idea what I've done to deserve this.

Don't ask, that'll just make it worse.

You should know what you did without having to ask. :)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.